Final Fantasy XIII-2 Debuts to Lackluster Sales

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

There's a good reason it's not selling well, namely that the original was crap.

HyenaThePirate:
SOny's marketing team for FFXIII-2 should be spanked and run out of the industry.
I haven't seen a SINGLE commercial or advertisement for it. At all. NONE. WHATSOEVER.

RaNDM G:
I didn't even know this game was coming out this year.

megaman24681012:
*wakes up*

Huh? FF13-2 came out? Huh, didn't know that.

Maybe because it doesn't come out anywhere except Japan before January 31st.

i dont get why final fantasy 14 is relevant here. to me that kinda seems like saying "i hated wow, so im not going to play starcraft." one is a single player game and the other is an mmo. clearly squares strength is with single player rpgs and if you didnt like ff13 then yeah, you have no reason to get this, but it doesnt make sense to me to say "their mmo sucked so their single player game probably sucks too."

personally, i loved final fantasy 13. final fantasy 12 really hurt my opinion of the company and 13 did a lot to raise my expectations. im okay with the game being linear and i still consider it a great jrpg. i look forward to playing final fantasy 13-2

however, i dont think id want this to turn into another final fantasy 7, where we get a dozen spinoffs. most of the characters were not likeable enough for that to work

HyenaThePirate:

This.

SOny's marketing team for FFXIII-2 should be spanked and run out of the industry.
I haven't seen a SINGLE commercial or advertisement for it. At all. NONE. WHATSOEVER.

And it just came out along with the launch of SWTOR? Whooops..
Don't plan on this one getting many sales.
Besides, I didn't enjoy FFXIII enough to go running after a sequel.

It hasn't been released outside of Japan yet :S

Anywho, my opinion on FFXIII was... Mixed. I'm going to be getting XIII-2 just because I like shiny things o.o

It doesn't look ~too~ bad to me. The only thing that got to me in XIII was over-dramatic character acting and people doing that oh-so-dramatic cleching-fist-in-front-of-face thing. I honestly didn't mind the linearity.

Even though it's not out here yet I can say with certainty I won't be buying XIII-2

Not because of the lame FF MMOs which seem to share the name purely for marketing but because the last game was so damn boring. I would rather have substance than graphics and it was lacking in both, my 360 copy appears to have noticeable compression in the cut videos at points (Damn those sensible ps3 owners).

This guy pretty much has it down:

Ace of Spades:
There's a good reason it's not selling well, namely that the original was crap.

So screw you Squenix! =]

maybe thats because no one wanted the sequel at all?

because XIII was such a pile of shit?

at least X had SOME goodwill from fans

Draconalis:

Shark Wrangler:

All I got to say is that if you got burned, then it's your own damn fault. Literally have so many options to do a bit of research to see what the game is about.

What research is there to be done? Even this article talked about how the reviews for the game were favorable.
The only thing you can do is wait a while and start to hear word of mouth from people who have played it... like... oh... I don't know... exactly what's going on right now with the sequel?

Being cautious with your money is never a bad thing.

Answered your own question. Like how I said you could do a bit of research and then you said how am I supposed to do that. Basically typed back a couple of examples. Everyone thats says they are kept in the dark and have access to the internet, are lying about knowing nothing. Read about the game in a gaming website, watch someone play a little bit of it on Youtube. The last part about being safe with your money, that came out of right field, I am starting to think people only read half of what you say and then respond.

Aiddon:
The series has been dead ever since FFXII. They shouldn't have even kept doing FF's after that, but instead they did and handed it over to Square's WORST writer ever. Toriyama seriously has some of the worst technique and plots EVER, the worst offender being the disturbingly sexist 3rd Birthday.

I can't agree that FFXII was a bad game. I thought it was pretty amazing, it changed the series in a lot of ways that were positive. The team that did FFXIII were the same people who did FFX, a game many profess to love but I thought was terrible. Just my two cents. :p XII was a significant step up from X I think. And XIII was every bit as bad as X was, only even more linear.

Wait wait wait....this game came out already? geez, I didn't even know it did.

Beautiful End:
I haven't finished FFXIII, though, and I am hating its glacial pacing. But there's something something that makes me wanna keep playing.

What makes you continue that game.

After I reached that I kind of burned out and stopped playing.

Is there some turnaround spot further on or are a masochist.

Like others have said, I'm hoping that this causes Square Enix to take a good look at what they're doing and really re-evaluate their products. Hopefully they'll come out with something constructive.

I've long said that Square's major downfall is their heavy-handed focus of 'looks>handling'.

I mean it's a basic principle, would I buy a car that looked fantastic but was barely held together with rubber bands?

No.

Would I wear a fancy shirt if simply wearing it faithfully replicated the feeling of taking sandpaper to my nipples?

No.

Would I buy a computer with flashy lights and fantastic American chopper-style design for the case with the inside all running old NES parts?

No.

So would I buy a game that was 80% over-the-top cut-scenes, 10% tutorial, 5% tortured dialogue, 4% looped J-pop and 1% actual game-play?

Well, yes, I did.

But would I make that mistake again?

Fuck no and if numbers say anything here it seems like a lot of people are with me here.

I love Squaresoft* and I genuinely miss them and I want them to come back and start successfully taking me on spell-bound adventures again...

Or at the very least I want them to actually include me in a game again...

*The Squaresoft bit was intentional.

God, they make a couple bad games and suddenly everyone hates Square Enix forever.

They were just trying something new, guys. Maybe it didn't pan out too well. I didn't think FFXIII was that bad. I played a couple hours at a friend's place, I had a good time.

As a recovering FF Fanboy, I want to look forward to this game.

As someone who was terribly disappointed in XIII, I just can't.

If I hear good things about this and like the demo, I may pick it up.

...there's gonna be a demo, right?

i blame lack of advertising, i haven't seen anything about it around the internet... so i guess it slipped people by... im getting it when it hits America, i heard the game play revamped itself to be better, but im in it for the story, so ill have fun either way

Wait a second, why are they even making a sequel to this one, this one of all the Final Fantasys, there's plenty of far better recieved, older ones they could have used, like [insert your favorite FF here] or even [insert 2nd fav here] but this one? Really? They could have made a sequel to 7 and their pockets would have exploded with money

How can their be a lack of advertisement for this game Ive seen like between 5-10 trailers for this game from IGN,Gamespot and Machinima.com??

Al-Bundy-da-G:

Beautiful End:
I haven't finished FFXIII, though, and I am hating its glacial pacing. But there's something something that makes me wanna keep playing.

What makes you continue that game.

After I reached that I kind of burned out and stopped playing.

Is there some turnaround spot further on or are a masochist.

I'm...actually right there. I just reached that point in the story. I don't know; maybe I'm a masochist. Maybe I'm just hopelessly waiting for the story to pick up. I kinda like some of the character so far, so I'm curious about it. Why not, you know? I mean, it's obvious that this is no PS1 FF game, but...we'll see.

And I'm also bored.

lacktheknack:
Wait, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a thing?

Please tell me I'm not just entirely oblivious, but they actually didn't advertise it much. (Which may contribute to the lack of sales, actually...)

It hasn't been released outside of Japan yet. That might be why.

Sucal:
Oh what a shame. Who could have guessed that releasing a Sub-par MMO, completely changing most of the stuff loved by the fan base, and making a sequel with a cast that's almost completely different to their original selves could impact sales. I mean, its not likely anyone could possibly get annoyed at a previously open and exploration capable series have an extended twenty hour tutorial before half the features could be unlocked.

That being said, while I like some of the ideas and things used, I disagree with them being tacked on to the Crystals Franchise. Seems like too much of a game departure from the original 13, which might have been a good thing if it wasn't for all the changes. Throw in the mid battle quick time events, and a plot that seems rather derivative, and they should have simply made this Final Fantasy 15, instead of changing what little lore the original 13 had. Especially since they are trying to shoe horn a connection to the other Crystal games, which were supposed to be linked by nothing but themes.

Congratulations sir!
You have just created the most sarcastic post I have ever seen, on the entire internet!.
Now here is your prize! One whole internets!

Phlakes:

Andy of Comix Inc:
For some reason, I read this headline, smiled, and sighed with relief.

I think I'm a bad person. All I could think was YEAH FUCK YOU FINAL FANTASY XIII. God I hated FFXIII. I'm so happy to see it failing. I have never been this vindictive with any game series, ever. Even if Call of Duty - a series I despise - announced it sold badly, I'd feel slightly let down, and sorry for the devs.

This news? This news cheered me up...

...Are you serious?

Because they made a mistake, they deserve to fail forever? I think you're right about yourself.

I mean, really, this is type of thing I'd expect to read on Youtube.

Not enough spelling errors and profanity to be a Youtube comment, lol.

OP: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: every Final Fantasy that has an X in it, is only half as good as any Final Fantasy that does not.
I can play Final Fantasy 1-3 (fuck you 4 and your lack of Phoenix Downs) and despite it's incredible difficulty and lack of any kind of instructions, still have a good time. 5-9 are also really awesome, especially 9. But once 10 came around, I realized they were slipping up. They were adding too much "extra" crap to distract you from the main story and core mechanics. Some characters were still enjoyable, but not to the same degree as the cast from 7 or 9.
Unless Final Fantasy gets a complete overhaul and changes their shit, I don't foresee buying any Final Fantasy games for a very long time.

TakeyB0y2:

HyenaThePirate:

This.

And it just came out along with the launch of SWTOR? Whooops..
Don't plan on this one getting many sales.
Besides, I didn't enjoy FFXIII enough to go running after a sequel.

It hasn't been released outside of Japan yet :S

Anywho, my opinion on FFXIII was... Mixed. I'm going to be getting XIII-2 just because I like shiny things o.o

It doesn't look ~too~ bad to me. The only thing that got to me in XIII was over-dramatic character acting and people doing that oh-so-dramatic cleching-fist-in-front-of-face thing. I honestly didn't mind the linearity.

Hang on a sec, I have to knock out the game integrity side of my brain before it goes insane...
There we go.

Anyways, you should either fire up 8 or 9 and play through it again (or find and buy it if you haven't) because they actually have good elements to be proud about. If you had mixed feelings about XIII, and even say "doesn't look ~too~ bad to me", then why are you buying it at all? =/
The only games I buy (that aren't impulse buys or because my friend wants someone to play with online), are games that I am super stoked about and can't wait to play. If you don't get "ZOMG ZOMG I CAN FINALLY PLAY IT!!!!!1!!1!1!" about a game, why buy it?

I can't say I'm surprised. As much as I like Final Fantasy XIII, there's no denying that the general consensus did not like it. And that's probably what led to the game's less than stellar sales.

I think most of the people here are way too harsh on 13. In the last year I played (or replayed) through 4 Final Fantasies: 6, 8, 9, and 13. While it wasn't the best, 13 was still quite enjoyable. It was slow to start, but so are half the FFs. Once it got going the story was interesting, the gameplay was fun, and the linearity wasn't bad. Not to mention the absolutely gorgeous aesthetics/graphics.

I think part of the problem is people are too forgiving of the old ones and too harsh on the new ones due to nostalgia. Yeah, the series is changing too, but it has ALWAYS changed. Changing isn't stabbing the fans in the back. I love 6 and 7, but 10 is my favorite, and 13 was fun.

So yeah, I'm getting this game. It looks good, and if the people would actually give it a chance rather than say they hate their fans, they'd realize that they were trying to go back to more classic style for 13-2 because the fans wanted it. So yeah, less linear, able to increase difficulty if you want, etc...but nobody cares, bandwagon is too comfortable.

ok im gonna be honest, with the exception of maby 7 and 9, the final fantasy games after 6 have all be complete shit with bad stories, annoying characters, an outdated gameplay (turn based is old, try real time beat em up for a change), lasted way too damn long, has style of substance, and quite frankly if they went under i would only miss them because of kingdom hearts.

if they cant be bothered to actually MAKE A GAME INSTEAD OF AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE then i have no sympathy.

Also, sequelizing a sequel is a bullshit concept, just call it "Part 2" like everyone else. or better yet, if it can't be squeezed in that 100 hour game you made to begin with, dont bother.

Furioso:
Wait a second, why are they even making a sequel to this one, this one of all the Final Fantasys, there's plenty of far better recieved, older ones they could have used, like [insert your favorite FF here] or even [insert 2nd fav here] but this one? Really? They could have made a sequel to 7 and their pockets would have exploded with money

they made a sequel to seven....and it was the abortion called advent children....

Jegsimmons:

Furioso:

they made a sequel to seven....and it was the abortion called advent children....

That's a movie, but still, someone call me when Square Enix gets back on track, I'll be busy replaying my "Tales of..." games

Daystar Clarion:
You know it's bad when your shitty androgynous soap opera sells poorly in Japan.

What happened Squeenix? You used to be cool.

Squeenix wasn't cool, Square Soft and Enix before the merger were cool.

Shark Wrangler:

Answered your own question. Like how I said you could do a bit of research and then you said how am I supposed to do that. Basically typed back a couple of examples. Everyone thats says they are kept in the dark and have access to the internet, are lying about knowing nothing. Read about the game in a gaming website, watch someone play a little bit of it on Youtube. The last part about being safe with your money, that came out of right field, I am starting to think people only read half of what you say and then respond.

I could spend time explaining... but given this response, I get the feeling it would be wasted effort. No offense or anything, I have just stopped caring enough to continue.

I mostly get the feeling we aren't on the same page, and I don't feel like finding out who misunderstood what.

Square Enix: How can people not be buying XIII-2?! With all the good reviews it's gotten it should have been a massive success!
Employe: Sir, I think it's because most people hated XIII, I mean why would they buy a sequel to a game they hated. Some even went as far to say that it had the worst RPG plot to ever been conceived.
Square Enix: Are you actually saying we should listen to our customers?! Your insane! Besides we promised them we would do better, they can't blame us.
Employe: But we made exactly the same game with the push one button gameplay and an even more ridiculous plot the first one.
Square Enix: Your fired! You just don't recognize the genus of XIII-2 and besides we can't remake final fantasy 14 with people like you on staff

Jegsimmons:

Furioso:

Awww

The movie was fun in the same way that XII was fun. Characters were questionable, plot had holes you could park an aircraft carrier in, but it was fun to watch and in FFXII's case, fun to play.

FFXIII missed that entirely. Characters were bad, linearity was too long, but most importantly, gameplay was crap. The new system was awful. When auto-action is used more than anything else, something has gone horribly wrong.

Master Cylinder:
Haters gonna hate. Believe it or not, some people actually liked FFXIII; my personal favorites next to FFIX are FFXII and FFXIII (hell, even FFX-2 was good and pretty unique compared to the other games). The games aren't getting worse, it's the fanbase that's the problem. Every FF game is different in some way from the previous installment, so of course some people will feel betrayed when a new game comes out that tries something new. This is why the FF fanbase is so divided and why opinions on each game vary drastically. I can understand if people don't like the newest installments, but to hope that Square Enix does bad so that they learn a lesson? Really?! Square Enix doesn't deserve so much hate.

You assume too much.

I've played and enjoyed (in varying degrees) every main series game (except FFXI) and I embraced the changes as they came.

I can't speak for the rest of the disappointed fans, but my disdain for FFXIII doesn't come from "because it's different." My disdain comes from that, in my opinion, the changes made the game poor.

The story was told in such a way that you have to read the Datalog to make sense of the plot and to fully appreciate the characters and the setting. No matter which way you slice it, that is NOT GOOD STORYTELLING.

Also, the Paradigm System was great, but you had to get over halfway through the game to be able to customize your party and strategy. Most of the fights in the game are time-sinks and don't require you to employ the system effectively to be successful. No matter which way you slice it, that is NOT GOOD GAME DESIGN.

See? I don't hate the game because it was different. I hate it because it wasn't good. Pure and simple.

If you like it, fine. I don't, and for good reasons, not "because it was different." Aren't opinions great?

More games need to be like final fantasy xiii. need more focus on story and characters and less focus on exploration and gameplay.

Haters gonna hate but the haters will always LOSE.

gring:

Et3rnalLegend64:

Shark Wrangler:
Always funny how gamers take stuff like a bad game in the series so damn personally. Like to play this game because it sounds like they fixed the problems. Big let down with Final Fantasy 13, but I don't want them to stop making it. Every company makes god awful choices and they are not immune to it. Really funny how gamers think that every game that comes out has to be tailored for them or it sucks. Thats a high horse I would gladly kick you down from if I could.

Dear lord this. I'll assume Square got the message that the formula for XIII had to change and it sounds like they really tried to change it, yet we get all these comments saying that the entire series should die in a fire just because the first game wasn't to their liking (and no amount of fixes will change their minds).

While I really don't think they should keep up with the plan of yearly releases (same for Assassin's Creed, much as I love those games), I don't have so much undiluted hatred for Square as so many others seem to. I enjoyed FF12 (haven't played 13). While the story was not as grand as others have been, I enjoyed the characters and the battle system (Vaan and Penelo still have almost no importance in the grand scheme of things though).
My brother played 13 and admits that the battle system and general gameplay were flawed, but he liked the characters and story enough to say that he would gladly buy the sequel. The only things stopping him is our backlist of RPG's (Tales of Vesperia and all of Shin Megami Tensei) and general lack of cash.

People have to chill, seriously.

again, if you actually read what people are saying before just reacting, you'll see that people are happy its failing right now as in the present moment, which may end up having some franchise reevaluations, which the series desperately needs. and if it did change, they would support THAT Final Fantasy Franchise, but just not this one.

"yet we get all these comments saying"... no. no one here is really honestly saying that, so you're lecture is obsolete.

Quick thing, and for the record I have no rage behind this post. I'm only saying that people are throwing out so much spite just because Square didn't hit their projected sales count. From their words, it sounds like they haven't played the game yet and possibly haven't even heard the opinion of someone who has. Square does seem to have listened to what the people had to say about the first XIII, but the people here don't think it's worth seeing if their complaints got addressed sufficiently before throwing their knives.

Edit: Oh, and last thing. I am focusing on the XIII series since it's the topic of the article but I'm hoping that since Square seems to be listening to feedback for this series, it means that they will listen to feedback for the franchise as a whole (and that people would see it as such). They probably have been already (someone above said they made 12 in response to wishes of a more Western style, open-world RPG and caught flak for it)

Witty Name Here:
It probably could've used more advertising, I consider myself a fan of the series and had no problem with XIII, however I didn't even know it came out. O.o

So much this. I'll probably pick it up sometime after Christmas but I had no idea it came out. The last thing I remember is unconfirmed rumors that it might be made...

Jodah:

Witty Name Here:
It probably could've used more advertising, I consider myself a fan of the series and had no problem with XIII, however I didn't even know it came out. O.o

So much this. I'll probably pick it up sometime after Christmas but I had no idea it came out. The last thing I remember is unconfirmed rumors that it might be made...

My copy should arrive in some days, so I can play Ni No Kuni, and FF-XIII-2 during the holiday (if I have time for it :p).
Though you should note that XIII-2 is scheduled for release on 31.01 NA and 03.02 EU - so only the Japanese version is available atm.

so the sales arent lackluster as such its just not what they were hoping?

Cant say I am surprised given the general reception of 13 and time they have chosen to release its sequel. Personally I found XIII average the great battle system not being unlocked until after I have finished the game was an absolutely ridiculous decision on their part however but they pulled the same crap with XII (i.e 40 hours until XIII picks up 60 hours until XII picks up, yes I looked at the in game clock).

The best Final Fantasys in my opinion are IV,VI,VII and X but the good thing about them is that they change all the time (unlike Dragon Quest for instance) so just because the last one sucked dosent mean the next one will, or vice versa. I will wait until I have played it before making a decision and as for those who thought XIII was the worst FF ever I dont believe they have played FFII that game was just horrible in every way but even so I would go so far as to say XIII was better than I,III and XII as well (havent played the online games and have no intention to).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here