Gamer Drops $16,000 on Virtual Sword for Unreleased Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gamer Drops $16,000 on Virtual Sword for Unreleased Game

Snail Games' upcoming Age of Wulin has brought in over $21,000 before its release by selling virtual goods that don't exist yet.

During a recent auction for the soon-to-be-released martial arts MMO, Age of Wulin, one excited gamer purchased an exclusive in-game sword for just $16,000 before even playing the game. At the same event, someone else bought a Hook of Departure sheath for a paltry $1,600, and another walked away with a Lordly Spear sheath for a mere $2,500 (apparently fashionable scabbards are a big deal in ancient China).

Here is the game's official description, which isn't awkwardly phrased at all:

Adventurers and heroes of the martial arts world are called the Wulin.
They are masters of Kung-Fu and also follow the code of Xia, which
stands for duty, honor, righteousness, courage but also mercy.
Are you one of them?

This isn't the most outrageous microtransaction purchase we've heard of, but at least most others are for games that have already accrued a decent following and shown proven sustainability. Free-to-play MMOs are extremely commonplace, especially in China, so who's to say that this one is going to be any good, or even still around come a year from now?

When you hear about purchases like this, it's easy to ponder what this man would have been able to achieve had he not invested so heavily in those 2,000 pixels shaped like a Chinese blade. Just think about all of the responsible purchases he could have made instead, like 6,425 Asiago bagels smothered with cream cheese, 128,859 Crayola crayons in twelve different colors, or an original Jurassic Park pinball machine for each room in his house. What a waste. Let's just hope for his sake that this game doesn't have open corpse-looting during PVP, otherwise I'm setting up an account and ganking that dude's sidearm first thing.

I think it's all one big conspiracy.

There's a list somewhere, with the names and addresses of every person who spends more than a certain amount on MMO microtransactions.

'Daystar's Someone's list of chumps to be tricked into giving me someone all their money'

On the one hand its kind of sad that games are being made that the rich are going to have a big advantage in. On the other i guess it will keep the uber-rich nerds away from more hardcore games as they cant get the same instant upgrades by splashing the cash quite so easily.

In this game's defense, there seems to be some strong interest in it. So far, I have heard good things about the game, and am interested in some of the ideas being put into it.

Yet, I'm nowhere near crazy enough to spend 16k, much less 1.6k, or even .1k for an item in a game. Especially a game that is only in a beta state.

So, not only are we buying imaginary goods, now we're buying imaginary goods that aren't even imaginary yet? I'm guessing this is that moment when I start feeling old... :p

The last game made by Snail Games I played was Voyage Century Online. Great concept, very fun at first, but after a year it turned(in all it's versions so it's not operator specific, though IGG still bites) into a horrid item mall with absolutely no gameplay. I foresee the same for this game and very much question the sanity of the person who made the purchase, as well as his right to have that much money to begin with.

Good for him I say.

Assuming he hasn't been irresponsible and placed himself in a difficult financial bind, I'm pleased that he's found something to make him happy.

Individuals may criticise stating that there are more 'worthy' items to spend money on, but if this is what enables him to enjoy himself it should be reassuring that he's found something to invest himself into.

I wonder if the guy will try to sell his not-yet-imaginary imaginary sword?

Jesus, that's just...Wow.

Well, whatever makes you happy.

All I have to say is that it must be one bad-ass sword, I mean normally when you buy an ingame hat say for 5 dollars, its just a hat.

But a 16k sword? that must be some pretty mad stats...though it would be funny if his ingame avatar was called 'Money-bags'.

Now I want to know that sword's stats. For that much you'd expect to be able to 1-hit everything in the game, but then you've dropped 16k on a cakewalk of a game... interesting.

What the hell is wrong with the human race?

The first thing that came to mind after I read this was not how the guy might be buying an unfair advantage or that the sword has amazing stats. It was that I couldn't believe he actually spent that kind of money on a virtual item.

I know, someone may chime in that people should be able to spend their money on what makes them happy... but this is a waste. If you're going to throw away your money like that, at least spend it on something REAL. Or at least say you'll match the wasteful spending with a donation to charity.

I hope purchasing that sword backfires on him and he is mocked every time he tries to show it off.

And here I thought the infamous monocle of EVE was expensive and ridiculous.

At least I hope the sword's stats are worth it.

Mike Kayatta:
it's easy to ponder what this man would have been able to achieve had he not invested so heavily in those 2,000 pixels shaped like a Chinese blade.

2 years of a child's life in the USA.

(Roughly $11,000 a year)

I don't know why we're complaining. If we can find more people like this we could save the global economy. Existing companies get away with billions each year just by telling their shareholders they're making money, or buying out watchdog companies and inventing fake products to sell to themselves at insane prices for vast government-rewarded profits. Ted Turner's just a hologram.

Ah China, You are well on your way to becoming a bloated, out of touch superpower. We have taught you well

... too well.

Daystar Clarion:
I think it's all one big conspiracy.

There's a list somewhere, with the names and addresses of every person who spends more than a certain amount on MMO microtransactions.

'Daystar's Someone's list of chumps to be tricked into giving me someone all their money'

He does sounds a little too Wulin to part with his cash.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mike Kayatta:
it's easy to ponder what this man would have been able to achieve had he not invested so heavily in those 2,000 pixels shaped like a Chinese blade.

2 years of a child's life in the USA.

(Roughly $11,000 a year)

Even though it would last longer in China, there's still a fifty/fifty chance that child would have been a girl anyway.

Hum... I have a bridge that I'd like to sell that guy.

It takes quiet a bit of stupidity and faith to buy something sight unseen let alone on merely the promise that the thing is going to exist. I guess he must have cash to burn and wants to see this thing succeed but that's quiet the investment to that end.

Well if it makes him happy...

even if it is one hell of a bad idea. If I drop 16 gs on something game related, it'd be a major collection of some good games & save the rest.

WHERE are all these people with stupidly high amounts of pocket money and WHY can't i get in touch with them so that i can scam them as well.

I mean sell virtual items to them.

Nope, I mean scam them.

Jandau:
So, not only are we buying imaginary goods, now we're buying imaginary goods that aren't even imaginary yet? I'm guessing this is that moment when I start feeling old... :p

You think you feel old now? Wait till you realize that everything is imaginary and that inevitably all things will be pulled apart by entropy and the expansion of the universe.

Oh shit son. Turns out that fake sword is no less tangible or intangible than the real one.

Scrustle:
What the hell is wrong with the human race?

Mostly hyperbolic reactions to trivial things and ignoring actual issues.

If I had to take a stab at it.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea of paying real money for fake goods. Let alone fake goods that don't even exist yet. This is beyond me.

Wouldn't it suck if the sword he brought was awarded in an easy beginners quest.

I hope the items suck, or that you can loot items, just so I can laugh when I see the story of someone suing someone else because they took 16000 worth of pixels in a game.

... then again, im a bad person like that.

eh, probably the son of some corrupt official. $16k is just a drop in the bucket

Well, it's not like the guy is probably making any other semi-intelligent transactions. But I more have to question the wisdom of opening up microtransactions to a pre-released game. To me that smells of a whole lot of trouble if for some reason the company is unable to deliver on the purchased virtual products when the game releases because of some bug or hiccup in the code. Or even a hiccup in the transaction itself, because of many reasons.
But, as that one guy said who did bring us lots of entertainment during his heydays...
'There's a sucker born every minute.'

Mike Kayatta:
...or an original Jurassic Park pinball machine for each room in his house.

Mike, please. That is only something a chump would do.

I would get The Addams Family pinball machine.

theultimateend:

Jandau:

You think you feel old now? Wait till you realize that everything is imaginary and that inevitably all things will be pulled apart by entropy and the expansion of the universe.

Oh shit son. Turns out that fake sword is no less tangible or intangible than the real one.

Been there, done that, relized it's just nihilistic bullshit and got over it. But yeah, it made me feel old... :)

Did this sale actually occur though? I only ask because if I had a new F2P MMO to promote, I'd say putting out a story like this would generate the right level of interest.

All I got out of this was Asiago bagels. I love Asiago bagels. 16,000 dollars worth of Asiago bagels sounds like the greatest thing ever. Man, now I want one but I can't go get one at 2 in the morning. I'll never sleep at this rate

itsausernamewhatofit:
All I got out of this was Asiago bagels. I love Asiago bagels. 16,000 dollars worth of Asiago bagels sounds like the greatest thing ever. Man, now I want one but I can't go get one at 2 in the morning. I'll never sleep at this rate

You and your problems need to get outta here

So...it's not even a virtual sword, it's a virtual virtual sword? I hope he paid in virtual monopoly money!

If they made the "sword of a thousand truths" for wow, how many people here would buy it for real money?

That's pretty lame considering for half that he could've bought a real bad ass sword like this one.

rich will always be rich. i remember when a guy bought items that would make him pretty much 2x stronger. but he was a rich noob and he stil got killed by everyone. if people like him keeps my games free, i agree with this tactic.

He's an idiot. But idiots aside, this game looks good. And it's free-to-play. It might satisfy my craving for a good game set in the far east. I need a new Jade Empire game and until I can have it this will have to suffice.

Fasckira:
Did this sale actually occur though? I only ask because if I had a new F2P MMO to promote, I'd say putting out a story like this would generate the right level of interest.

This was my first thought as well. And since I did become very interested in the game I'm even more suspicious. I'm actually stoked for this game now after reading about it and watching some gameplay videos. I can't wait for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here