Ocean Marketing's Founder Claims He's Sorry

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ocean Marketing's Founder Claims He's Sorry

Now that he's incurred the wrath of the entire internet and become a lesson in terrible PR tactics, Paul Christoforo has said he's sorry. Sort of. (Not really)

Yesterday was not a good day for Paul Christoforo. After months of providing terrible customer service, things blew up in his face when a customer named Dave forwarded a recent series of abusive emails from Christoforos over to Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade. Krahulik involved himself (after seeing Christoforos brag about involved with PAX East), but the one-man PR firm kept the venom flowing until he realized who Krahulik actually was. As a result, Krahulik posted the entire exchange on the Penny Arcade website, and the story went viral.

Christoforos was quickly fired from handling PR and customer relations for The Avenger - a controller accessory that was originally created for helping disabled gamers - but that was only the start of the bad day for the man. He became the subject of ridicule, video parodies, and even became the butt of a joke made by the insurance giant Geico. He'd achieved a status normally reserved for reality television stars: Reviled laughingstock.

Now, a day after he stirred the proverbial hornet's nest (and been stung all over), Christoforo is trying to do some damage control. Speaking to Kotaku, the man admitted to being humbled by the swift retribution thrown his way and that he didn't handle things as well as he should have, but insists that people are overreacting to the situation. Aside from receiving thousands of antagonistic emails, Christoforo has stated that Web users are also targeting his wife and child.

OK, on one hand: Going after the man's wife and young son is definitely wrong. The fact that people are harassing his wife on Facebook and leaving voice messages containing death threats directed at both her and his two-month-old child is disgusting.

On the other hand? Christoforo clearly isn't sorry. Reading through the entire account, he never actually apologizes for his actions. He's just sorry he got caught:

"I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was," he admitted. "If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better."

Translation: "I'm nice to people as long as they're important."

You can read through the whole story over at Kotaku. Here are a couple of jaw-dropping highlights, though: Christoforo was "just joking around" when he claimed to know people like Cliff Bleszinski and the mayor of Boston; he also accuses Mike Krahulik of being "unprofessional" in his emails (while saying nothing about his own incredibly disrespectful tone and determination to poop all over the English language).

If Christoforo is telling the truth and hasn't lost any other clients after this mess, that's incredibly disturbing. This is not a person you want representing your company, in any capacity.

Source: Kotaku

Image Source

I agree with the article and Penny Arcade. He's sorry he got caught. He's not sorry he was a massive jerk to a customer, or even the way he jerked around with Mike. That's really not good enough.

Yeah. Sorry.

Perhaps you'll apologise to your wife for the domestic violence charge next?

Hasn't lost any other clients huh? Ya, I call bullshit. No way anyone's letting this asshole handle their PR after this mess. And if they do, I'll be the internet hate machine finishes the job and destroys whatever's left of his career.

Yep, I too am disturbed by the idea that he's kept his accounts (Hopefully that's BS like everything else, does he even have other accounts?). It sounds like he only has the Avenger job because he's friends with the guy in charge...

He's not even pretending to be sorry, he is still going at it through twitter and trying to trick people into thinking he likes all this abuse.

Zachary Amaranth:
I agree with the article and Penny Arcade. He's sorry he got caught. He's not sorry he was a massive jerk to a customer, or even the way he jerked around with Mike. That's really not good enough.

agreed, acting like a doucheblast, on continuing occurrences long enough till he picked on the wrong person can't simply be excused with a simple "i'm sorry"; especially in the form that it's "i'm sorry i got caught, not that i'm sorry for being one of the biggest douches in customer service history."

vansau:
OK, on one hand: Going after the man's wife and young son is definitely wrong. The fact that people are harassing his wife on Facebook and leaving voice messages containing death threats directed at both her and his two-month-old child is disgusting.

Ah yes, internet justice at its finest.

That's the problem with mobs. They're not very precise, or picky. If this wasn't the internet, and the keyboard warriors concerned weren't massive pussies, they'd be smashing his windows and throwing shit through his letterbox.

That's my entire objection to this whole sorry story. This guy is an asshole, no question, but the mob is never right, and it's frankly scary to see how quickly so many people can start hating a complete stranger.

Good going, Internet.

Looking at his response to his infamy, and the profile of the guy, I'm almost sympathetic to his plight, though I hope his days as a PR guy are over. He's a young, over-enthusiastic idiot who got himself in way over his head because E-mail is terrible for communication. Tip - If you're in customer service, stay AWAY from websites like "Not Always Right".

However, I do believe he needs to look for a new career field.

The only thing I can sort of see the guys point is with the Penny Arcade guy. I honestly find Krahulik's response to all of this a little disturbing, such as this gem, "When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."

He who fights monsters, Krahulik...

All of that said, he was a dumbass. Even worse, a dumbass caught in the act of being a dumbass. Keep his wife and child out of this (if he even has a wife and kid), they have done absolutely nothing wrong. Christoforo just happened to be the (un)lucky gentleman that incured the wrath of the internet. The internet gets a little pent up every now and again, so stuff like this happens every now and again. They'll rage for a bit, and after a few weeks everyone will get over it. Such is the cycle.

This man is a bastard. He beats his wife and acts like a bellend at his work. I hope with my sadistic heart that bad things happen to him in the future.

Calumon: ...Is it mean to be mean to a meanie?

It always tickles my sense of smugness when people like this get smacked down. Because I'm a prick.

vansau:
...Paul Christoforo has said he's sorry. Sort of. (Not really)

Er, yah...

Good riddance to the slimeball, but his family shouldn't be approached and/or abused; that's a given.

Scow2:
He's a young,

Even for me, 38 is not young.

Sixcess:
If this wasn't the internet, and the keyboard warriors concerned weren't massive pussies, they'd be smashing his windows and throwing shit through his letterbox.

Unlike News International & the NYPD who did exactly that, said "sorry" and got away with it.

Or Egypt, Libya and Syria who did that to get rid of a corrupt dictator.

But while you're standing up for the rights of a man who is glad to carry on what he's doing - just more carefully this time, don't you think that Dave & Nate would like to know where their money had gone to?

Or that Paul challenged Gabe to bring on the dogs?

It's a little late to complain about bulls being lose in the field when you're the idiot waving a red flag at them.

I hope he loses his job (I can't imagine how he earned it anyway). That's punishment enough, especially considering it's going to have to be hard for him to find employment again for a while. It's hard enough for some decent people with an actual good work ethic to find a job, so it has to be a feat of impossibility for a notoriously irresponsible and unprofessional asshole to find one. All this wife, kids, and digging up his history? I'm not in favor of that.

Jumplion:
The only thing I can sort of see the guys point is with the Penny Arcade guy. I honestly find Krahulik's response to all of this a little disturbing, such as this gem, "When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."

He who fights monsters, Krahulik...

Agreed. And not just Krahulik, but everyone. The internet's attention span may be short, but it's rage in that time is vicious. Don't take it too far.

Jack and Calumon:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife....

I keep hearing that, don't suppose there is a source?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Sixcess:
If this wasn't the internet, and the keyboard warriors concerned weren't massive pussies, they'd be smashing his windows and throwing shit through his letterbox.

Or Egypt, Libya and Syria who did that to get rid of a corrupt dictator.

You didn't seriously just compare those popular uprisings against oppressive governments in which people were were arrested, tortured and killed to this bout of epic nerdrage, did you?

The kid can't help who his parents are and The only thing Christoforo's wife should be harassed for is having terrible taste in men. I'm surprised Newt Gingrich hasn't hired this guy as his public relations expert. They were made for each other.

Although I dont agree with the harassing of his family, the guy had it coming.

At least he's honest - he's not sorry for the customer services but is sorry he got caught.

I mean come on, he's just balls'ing it out now.

As I said before, the internet has tasted blood in the water. There's no stopping them now. The only thing he could do is flounce. And even that might not work.

I see the fire isn't burning hot enough. Lets bring more witches.

I bet it's good for business too.

Two thoughts here - I haven't seen any evidence that his wife and child were being attacked. Having read several articles on the subject, the only person citing that is him.

Second, if he is a one man PR firm (which I think is likely), chances are, Avenger was his only client. Ergo, he isn't exactly lying when he says he hasn't lost any other clients.

Regardless, the guy's a dick. Glad he got his comeuppance. Watching him get taken down by Mike just gives me another reason to love PAX.

Aggieknight:
Two thoughts here - I haven't seen any evidence that his wife and child were being attacked. Having read several articles on the subject, the only person citing that is him.

Is it honestly that unlikely? We're talking about internet pussies here who get jollies off of bullying 11-year-olds for fun on the internet. Threatening the life of a 2-month-old isn't below them.

OT: The guy's a moron and his PR days are over. End of story.

Also, the Avenger is kind of a piece of poo.

*sigh* why always go after bystanders? I mean yeah his wife got TERRIBLE taste in men but harassing her and her son? Not mature in any faction.

OT:If he gets anything less than jail after all the dirt that internet dug up about him I'm surprised. If he ever get a job inside marketing/technology again that is nothing but a miracle.

Knight Templar:

Jack and Calumon:

I saw a police report on the other thread, let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here you go. Keep in mind, it could be another guy with the same name.

"I didn't know who that guy at Penny Arcade was," he admitted. "If I had known, I would have treated the situation a little better."

You utter cunt. Sorry, I wouldn't normally say things like that, at all, but what the FUCK? You work in PR, don't you? This isn't public relations, this is just douchebaggery!

Honestly, I do think going after his wife and two month old kid is just wrong. If anyone did, cause he's the only source that says that, but still, if anyone is, the hell do they have to do with it?

I haven't had many bad PR experiences, but when I did, this is what I felt like saying. If you work in PR, recognize that the people you are dealing with don't want to be dealing with you usually.

I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.

Fawxy:

Aggieknight:

Is it honestly that unlikely?

Yes.
Because if his family was in any kind of danger beyond the vague threats that are par for the course when on the internet, or a pub for that matter, then he would not keep intentionally pissing people off.
He switches between the "leave my family alone, I'm sorry" of a moron who got in too deep and the "come at me bro, ya mad c**t" that comes from a teenage delinquent, switching so quickly I don't think there is real danger. Of course he could just not honestly care about them, that is a thing as well.

Yes going after the family is wrong, but I think he's trying to gain some sympathy, nothing more. The internet is like a bear, the only way to win is play dead.

Knight Templar:

Jack and Calumon:

I saw a police report on the other thread, let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here you go. Keep in mind, it could be another guy with the same name.

Thank you.

Sadly, he still has qualifications to work for the GOP and News Corp, given their records. So this won't be the last we hear from this douche.

Kevlar Eater:
I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think the threats to the wife and child are to some extent, justified. The man does not know how to listen to anyone or apologize, and the only way he'll do any of the aforementioned (and learn a lesson or three) is if his loved ones received some splash damage.

That only works if he actually cares about them. I have to doubt that a man who can neither respect himself or people who he deals with at his job has much respect to bring home.
If anything it might help the wife wake up and decide she needs to be away from him during this shitstorm. And once then, she might decide she likes being away from him altogether.

meh, he seems like a generally harmless dick. Even if he's not sorry, it seems like a waste of time to go after him now that he's been properly thrashed

Jack and Calumon:
This man is a bastard. He beats his wife and acts like a bellend at his work. I hope with my sadistic heart that bad things happen to him in the future.

I...I think I love you...possibly Calumon as well...

OT: I've said everything I could possibly say about this unapologetic meta-cunt in the other 2 threads on the matter.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a vengeful prick (I make Sweeney fucking Todd look like a boy scout the way I hold onto grudges), so I can unashamedly say that I hope this cunt is utterly ruined for life. I hope his wife leaves and takes the kid with her, using the domestic violence charge to keep him the hell away from them.

As for why people are carrying this so far, it's very simple: To make sure it doesn't happen again. Simply reading the Kotaku interview spells out plain as day that he doesn't feel a single iota of remorse for acting like he did. If the pressure lets off he'll figure he can get away with it again and again. It's just like the bully Stilson in the first chapter of Ender's Game: You have to destroy him so thoroughly that he can't even consider doing it again. You can't just win this fight, you have to win all of them at once. Show him that his actions will not be tolerated, and there are indeed repercussions.

I don't, however, wish any harm to his wife, and especially not his son (if they exist, I'm not prepared to take anything this clown says at face value). The only mistake his wife made was marrying this tosser and letting the domestic violence incident go. His son is completely innocent in this matter.

Wow. Just wow. Especially this little gem:

Christoforo also said his response was driven in part by what he saw as the disrespectful tone of the messages that came before it [PhunkyPhazon: "It" being before Penny Arcade got involved]. "Not that I don't have respect for anybody, but if someone's badmouthing me or being a little punk or being a jerk, they don't deserve respect," he said. "You can't expect to go up and say 'Hey you piece of s***,' and expect respect. Send an email, introduce yourself. ... I trust everybody until they give me a reason not to respect them. I'm not a tough guy, not a bully, but at same time not going to take s*** if it's uncalled for.

Dude, the guy called you a piece of shit because when he asked for more information over a legitimate customer concern, you gave him THIS:

Yes it can be used with xtend play if you remove the stand and no one is allowed to cancel and re order if we catch anyone doing it we will simply just cancel your order all together and you can buy it retail somewhere else.

Things happen in manufacturing if your unhappy you have 7 days from the day your item ships for a refund. You placed a pre order just like any software title the gets a date moved due to the tweaks and bugs not being worked out and GameStop or any other place holds your cash and im sure you don't complain to activision or epic games so put on your big boy hat and wait it out like everyone else. The benefit is a token of our appreaciation for everyone no one is special including you or any first time buyer . Feel free to cancel we need the units were back ordered 11,000 units so your 2 will be gone fast. Maybe I'll put them on eBay for 150.00 myself. Have a good day Dan.

Before that, Dave was doing a good job of acting polite. He was obviously starting get a little frustrated, but who wouldn't be?

It sickens me that this guy is willing to put the blame on everyone but himself. Oh sure, he says he had a "bad day", but fact of the matter is that numerous other Christoforo customer service incidents have been dug up, and apparently he's been having a "bad day" for a really damn long time. I have no sympathy for this bastard.

His wife and kid, however, are a different story. Seriously, what do they have to do with this?

You know what's better than sorry? Not screwing up in the first place.

Really though it's tasteless to target the child. Well anyone with death threats really, but insulting the Wife would be understandable (she is enabling this douchebag to be a douchebag by marrying him, after all) i suppose.

They are trolls though...you can't really take these people seriously...but at the same time you never know when one will actually pull through... and they have done some pretty messed up stuff before.

After this has played out... bad PR guy is now trolled hard by the masses.

Proof that the nerds/geeks can now be the tough bullies beating people into tears.

Congrats internet, you are now that which you hated as kids. Do you all feel proud of this?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here