Valve: There Is No Half-Life 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

MiracleOfSound:
Sigh. I really hope HL3 doesn't go the way of Duke. After all this build up now I really doubt it can live up to my hopes.

The difference being they never set a release date for hl3

this is all the fault of crazy fanboys

sadface

Was really hoping now they have finished up Portal 2 there would be a HL in the works :<

Do we care? I mean that seriously.

Half-life was innovative and a ton of fun over a decade ago. Half-Life 2 was a last hurrah for old school shooters, but replaying it shows how linear and basic it really was. The episodes were more frustration than game play and the story is going the same way as Lost and BSG; the whole "let's keep everybody guessing and confused, even if it means we can't wrap it up neatly ourselves" strategy. Sure, it's fun for awhile, but look how it always turns out.

We look back on those games fondly, but they weren't that great, that well written, or even that good of examples of the things we remember them for.

HL3 isn't coming, HL2: Ep 3 is.

AvauntVanguard:
Screw HL3. I want Episode 3.

You'd rather have episodic add on content to an 8 year old game over a full blown sequel? Strange.

Vulpis:
As some people I know about have pointed out...who needs HL3? What we want is *Episode* 3, which is not the same thing...and which nothing at *all* one way or another was said about.

if you honestly think after all the engine upgrades since the last episode that the next installment wouldn't be a sequel your deluded. They know how long its been so they will make sure its a full title.

im surprised that so many people care.... half life was cool, but geez, it was not the best game evar or anything....

I honestly don't care anymore. If it gets announced next year, all you'll get from me is a "meh". Same if they don't.

Half-Life 3 is starting to suffer from "Duke Nukem Forever" syndrome. It's not a question of "when will HL3 be released?" anymore. More like "should HL3 be released?"

SirBryghtside:

How about the end of Episode 2?

Anyway, everyone already knew what they said in the OP.

HOWEVER, it doesn't deny this. Note the shape of the Christmas tree lights, which, if you think about it, don't quite make sense.

The lights just look like lights to me. The baubles on the other hand, if you meaning them, remind of those blasted mine-like things that would stick to your buggy in Half-Life 2 and make you crash, most likely.

Anyway, given the number of "threes" present in the linked image (three legs on Randolph, three stocking hanging up, three presents, three clouds in the painting and the three spots on the boomer plushie), it's clearly hinting at the third instalment in the Half-Life [2] series.

You know, just for laughs, when they finally bring out another Half-Life, they should call it HL2 : Episode 3, even if it is a full retail product. That way, we could never say Valve didn't release Episode 3.

Makes me kind of sad actually to think I had practically forgotten about HL, given how much I enjoyed all the previous games/expansions. Well, apart from Blue Shift, which I never actually played. The passage of time does that, I guess.

what are they working on anyway seem like bungie all over again

Valve, please don't wait too long. If one of the voice actors die in some way, you're fucked.

I think it'll just end up a full sequel instead of an episode, at this rate.

No Episode 3?

Totally did not see that coming /sarcasm

Man, I love this website. The news staff regularly point at bad journalism (Look! Fox News said something stupid about gaming and its totally not true!) and then, just as regularly, they pump out articles like this one.

Just for the record, Greg, although I doubt you didnt get this; no secret message does not equal no Half Life 3 or Episode 3. Nowhere did Valve say anything of the sorts.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely atrocious for a website that prizes itself on good journalism. You want constructive criticism, you get it. Stop publishing bullshit and mis titling articles.

vrbtny:
No Episode 3?

Totally did not see that coming /sarcasm

Using that image on any piece of news remotely related to Half Life will not make it funny. Its a neat image, and I dont want to diss your work, but it got annoying somewhere around the 100'th time.

You know, as an outsider to the Valve fandom, I do believe that they are stretching themselves too thin. With Half Life, Team Fortress, Portal and Left 4 Dead all intertwining, it's no wonder their release schedule is a mess.

Wait, so the hype about Half-Life is just over-excited fanboys making up delusional fantasies based on flimsy evidence? Oh well that's just such a big surprise...

Honestly, after the whole Half-Life 2 code fiasco I can't blame Valve for being tight-lipped about everything. I really like the Half-Life series but I've got plenty of other things to keep me occupied so I can withhold my hope, anger, or paranoia for quite awhile longer.

MiracleOfSound:
Sigh. I really hope HL3 doesn't go the way of Duke. After all this build up now I really doubt it can live up to my hopes.

What build up? After the second year and the denial about the requirements of episodic content I've found my interest in the series dropping steadily . . . these recent bits of news are like someone trying to pump up a tire that's full of holes.

Mind you I wasn't a huge fan of HL2. But I was a big fan of the episodes, which is why it's fairly disappointing.

MarsProbe:

SirBryghtside:

HOWEVER, it doesn't deny this. Note the shape of the Christmas tree lights, which, if you think about it, don't quite make sense.

The lights just look like lights to me. The baubles on the other hand, if you meaning them, remind of those blasted mine-like things that would stick to your buggy in Half-Life 2 and make you crash, most likely.

Anyway, given the number of "threes" present in the linked image (three legs on Randolph, three stocking hanging up, three presents, three clouds in the painting and the three spots on the boomer plushie), it's clearly hinting at the third instalment in the Half-Life [2] series.

You know, just for laughs, when they finally bring out another Half-Life, they should call it HL2 : Episode 3, even if it is a full retail product. That way, we could never say Valve didn't release Episode 3.

Makes me kind of sad actually to think I had practically forgotten about HL, given how much I enjoyed all the previous games/expansions. Well, apart from Blue Shift, which I never actually played. The passage of time does that, I guess.

Baubles are sticky grenades from TF2, the lights are shaped like a 3 ;)

imnotparanoid:
Maybe they alreayd made it, but lost the only copy somewhere, rather than telling everyone and looking stupid they are still searching for it.
And looking stupid.

Or maybe they lost it in the buffet, and Gabe ate it! DAMN just delayed it another week!

OT: Valve did have an excuse for the extra like 1 or 2 years they had to work on HL2 because of the whole leak thing. But with HL3 they are all doing amazingly and there really isn't any reason why a new half life should be taking this long. Unless it's using a brand new Source engine ofc, or is coming with two other brand new games like the Orange Box.

Still doesn't really explain the T-shirt thing.

I wonder why they are so hesitant to keep it under wraps? It's not like they aren't in development with the game. It's definitely in the process of being made.

My guess is that they've probably got a launch date somewhere in mind and they are planning on announcing it close to date, so as it doesn't get even more hyped up.

Called it.

When I'm standing in EB Games, holding a copy of the next Half-Life game in my hands, in a little plastic bag with a receipt poking out, only then will I believe "Holy shit, a new Half-Life game is coming out."

OMG I HAVE THE ANSWER!

You Boycott Half Life 3/Episode 3 when it comes out like they did for Left 4 Dead 2.

No NOT because it'll set a fire under there butts that they'll lose money if it doesn't come out soon... but because the last boycott they had their preowned game sales went through the roof!!!

That'll get them moving... unless they're allergic to money which... lets face it might be the real reason it's not been released yet.

OMG I HAVE THE ANSWER!

You Boycott Half Life 3/Episode 3 when it comes out like they did for Left 4 Dead 2.

No NOT because it'll set a fire under there butts that they'll lose money if it doesn't come out soon... but because the last boycott they had their preowned game sales went through the roof!!!

That'll get them moving... unless they're allergic to money which... lets face it might be the real reason it's not been released yet.

Blind Sight:
after the whole Half-Life 2 code fiasco I can't blame Valve for being tight-lipped about everything.

You mean that time valve were a week away from releasing hl2 and some dood released everything valve had game wise (a handful of hl2 maps and a cs medal of honor rip off), valve still insisting the release would be met despite the fact they knew they had been hacked and had nothing to release.

Valve? What's it going to take? This is clearly the game people want, not another Left For Dead, not Defense of the Ancients (not that there's anything wrong with those.) And while Portal is fantastic, there's still that tiny shred of agonized frustration in remembering that we were all but flat-out told that Portal and Half-Life shared the same universe.

I understand you may well feel a need to make some sort of quantum leap in the underlying engine before you feel confident putting a new Half-Life out against the current crop of shooters, but for heaven's sake, do that! The Source engine powered a number of terrific games in its own right, and I would love to see it again competing viably with Unreal Engine and the like. Whatever work needs to be done, get people on it! This nonsense isn't going to go away. You left a prospering game series on a tragic cliffhanger; eat your damn vegetables and finish the story!

Greg Tito:
Wheatly's speech is set in Portal 2 fiction

Portal 2 is set in the Half-life universe.

You are being trolled

By the community or by valve itself?

At this point I really don't give a shit about the game anymore. They absolutely will release a new one at some point, you don't just abandon something that critically and commercially succesful. TF2 did take 9 years to make.

Fuck you Valve. No one would give a shit about Half Life 3 if you didn't leave Half-Life 2: Episode Two on such a cliffhanger. You've dug your own hole on this one. Just tell us Gordon Freeman is dead or make another game.

I feel sorry for some of you guys.

I've only got into the Half Life series over the last two years - I love the games and can't wait for another Half Life game.

But you guys who have been waiting for years on end... ouch...

I hope there isn't a Half Life 3, or HL2: episode 3.
I'm done with it honestly. How does it end? Who knows? Who cares? Do you give a rat's patoot how Too Human ends? I don't. I saw that cliff hanger and walked away. I've come to terms with poor old Mr. Vance, I've come to terms with the only route being an obvious happy ending, or Gordon dying, or any mixture of the two. Seriously, any ending there could possibly be, we will have already seen a million times by now. Why? Because in 8 years they've gone down every possible route with it. Half Life is done to me, there's no need to wait for the next one, if you want to wait for something wait for a new IP from Valve.

And not to mention I cannot take another three years of, "Half Life is t3h bestxorz and Halo is t3h sux" threads. Seriously, that crap is gone and done and I'm glad for it. A new game just ruins intelligent conversation on video games for three more years.

And really? Lambda constellations? You can throw a bunch of mothballs into a room and trace a million of them on the floor. It's not complex structure guys.
And him listing coordinates 1, 1, 1, -cut off?Obviously a reference to him trying to input the override password.

I agree the game is out of it's prime now, the engine is all that remains the actual game was good back then... would get smashed as a first person shooter now days, with all those call of duty's and battlefield 3's.

***Picture this scenario***
Two children, a boy and girl are dancing in front of a wall, the wall looks as though it's a major battle from star wars only it's 3D and the children are controlling the guns and lazors with their fingers, the small of the two is the boy who insists on yelling 'pew pew' every time he shoot. You give a small weak chuckle with is ended in a cough.
A mid aged woman comes in holding a package and hands it to you, and with tired hands you tear away the brown paper and inside is a CD case with the lambda symbol on it. It takes you a moment, it looks so familiar, what is it?
"Oh!" you moan with a wheeze. The kids turn around curious, their game paused and they gather around your armchair.
"What is it granddad/grandmum?"
"This kids is what games used to be like. Oh this brings back memories". The boy opens it up and looks at the strange silver disc inside.
"How's it work". You stand up with a grunt, retrieving you cane and walking towards the back door where birds are chirping.
"It doesn't matter". The CD case lays on the ground until someone eventually comes along, thinking it's junk and throws it away.

THANK GOD. Very happy that HL3 isnt coming out this console generation. That would have made me cry manly tears.

MarsProbe:

SirBryghtside:

They're the Demo man's sticky bombs.

OT: Oh well, maybe they'll release it eventually, who knows, all I really want to know is why they feel the need to keep us all in the dark.

Nicely trolled, Mr Tito. Nicely trolled.

The headline immediately got my attention, and a somewhat stunned response, only to find that the headline is a complete fiction.

The idea that Valve fans have over analysed some promotional material is... shall we say... less remarkable. :P I can go on with my day now, with a timely reminder not to trust any journalistic sources without double checking every thing first.

I actually laughed at the last 2 lines!! xD

Didn't expect that at all, although that IS what I was contemplating earlier..

MarsProbe:

SirBryghtside:

Don't forget 3 shadows ;)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or