Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

The Swedish text in this image translates roughly to 'Internet is my distributed brain.'
The Swedish text in this image translates roughly to 'Internet is my distributed brain.'

The Missionary Church of Kopimism (pronounced Copy-Me-ism) is a legal religion with 3,000 members.

The act of peer to peer file-sharing is a holy act and information is sacred, according to the tenets of the Missionary Church of Kopimism. An offshoot of Sweden's Pirate Party, the 3,000 members of the church have been attempting to be recognized as an official religion since 2010. After their third application, the Swedish government agency called Kammarkollegiet finally accepted Kopimism as a formal religion when the organization outlined how members pray and conduct services. Despite the ruling, file-sharing of copyright protected creative works is still illegal in Sweden.

"Being recognized by the state of Sweden is a large step for all of Kopimi. Hopefully, this is one step towards the day when we can live out our faith without fear of persecution," said Isak Gerson, spiritual leader of the Church of Kopimism.

"Since Kammarkollegiet has been strict with formalities, we had to apply three times," said Gustav Nipe, a leader in teh Church. "I think it might have something to do with the governmental organisations abiding by a very copyright friendly attitude, with a twisted view on copying."

If you're interested in joining the Church of Kopimism, you're in luck because there is no formal initiation or anything. All you have to do is join the members for a "kopyacting" or religious service "where the kopimists share information through copying and remix."

Since the announcement, the Kopimism website has been down due to excessive traffic but the organizers urge you to come back once "the storm has settled."

Source: Kopimistsamfundet

They are not an offshoot of Swedens pirate party.

"Kopimistsamfundet delar postadress med Piratpartiets ungdomsförbund men i övrigt finns det inga kopplingar mellan de olika organisationerna."

And with google translate its

"Kopimistsamfundet parts address with Pirate Party Youth League, but otherwise there are no connections between the different organizations."

I'm really not sure whether to say "Awesome" or "D'oh."

Probably not as cool to put "Filesharer" as your religion than say, "Jedi" but it is still pretty cool.

Ha ha, that's kind of funny... I guess?

I do have to wonder exactly what these fine folks hope to gain out of this arrangement though.

Zhukov:

I do have to wonder exactly what these fine folks hope to gain out of this arrangement though.

Easy, they think that it will allow them to share information without government involvement. It's pretty smart actually. Don't know how well it would work over there (I'm in the US) but since they can call it "expression of religion," they can call the religion card should the government go after their activities.

That is just a bit silly. But maybe in 2000 years people will believe that Uploader made the universe come into being, and his son Seeder Christ cleansed the world of all its sins.

That would be pretty kickass.

BabySinclair:

Zhukov:

Easy, they think that it will allow them to share information without government involvement. It's pretty smart actually. Don't know how well it would work over there (I'm in the US) but since they can call it "expression of religion," they can call the religion card should the government go after their activities.

There is no way our Supreme court will agree since then it would become a national security problem since anyone would be able to "convert" and then the government would not be allowed to listen on their activies online which would mean that people just need to use ip phones since that would be information, and the fact that blueprints for bombs and such would be open for the public since they could just say thats information and its sacred for them to share it. same with military secrets and blueprints for all the houses, and credit cards numbers (also information) and such things

I simply cannot face-palm hard enough, so now they've made meanness a relgious issue? (sigh)

BabySinclair:

Zhukov:

No, that won't work.

Sure, they can claim file sharing as a religious activity, but that doesn't automatically make it legal for them to break copyright law.

Or to put it another way, Orthodox Christians can baptise their babies all they like, but their priests would still get arrested for throwing other people's children in ponds.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at my own country.... This is just silly...

Wow that could be game, set, match. But im fuzzy on what happens if your church breaks serious laws "in the name of god." so to speak. I mean its not like christians (or any religion) can smuggle guns, or drugs. So if your breaking international felonious laws what happens? Oh and dont drink their kool aid. We cant write them off as a cult yet. :P

Seriously??? Seriously??? Am I the only one who feels that this is just absolutely ridiculous? I'm all for freedom of information, but this is something else entirely.

And, on that note:

Zhukov:

BabySinclair:

Zhukov:

No, that won't work.

Sure, they can claim file sharing as a religious activity, but that doesn't automatically make it legal for them to break copyright law.

Or to put it another way, Orthodox Christians can baptise their babies all they like, but their priests would still get arrested for throwing other people's children in ponds.

It's more like, if I create a religion based around human sacrifice, then sacrifice a human, I'm still going to get arrested for murder. Congress can't make laws that specifically target a religion, but religions/the religious still have to follow all the laws.

ETA: Think about the Mormons. According to the Mormon religion, polygamy is just fine. According to US law, polygamy is not. The Mormons often get around this by living in a polygamous way without being legally polygamous, but our country still won't let a man become legally married to more than one woman, and if you trick the system, you get arrested if they find you out.

What do you call a pirate jazz musician?
A Kopi-cat

Today it's pirates, tomorrow it will be ninjas, where will it end?

Yeah, so what?

A religion isn't really that easy to seperate from a fraud, it's just people doing stuff together and calling it "prayer" and "religion". it's not like you can measure faith.

AnarchistAbe:
Seriously??? Seriously??? Am I the only one who feels that this is just absolutely ridiculous? I'm all for freedom of information, but this is something else entirely.

And, on that note:

It makes more sense then religions that seem to be based around hating on the gays or whatever most of the ones around here are since their main tenant seems to be "gays bad".

poiumty:
That is just a bit silly. But maybe in 2000 years people will believe that Uploader made the universe come into being, and his son Seeder Christ cleansed the world of all its sins.

That would be pretty kickass.

It would indeed.

Also, without being an expert on kopimism, I'd ask the escapist to refrain from sensationalist headlines. One of the reasons I come here is because the site is relatively mellow.

Kopimism is not any more about piracy than bit-torrenting is. Its a philosophical standpoint that happens to coincide with some piracy. Their thoughts about information are interesting to say the least, but they are not pirates.

Many acts gain their definition from culture rather than cold, hard logic. I hope I'm alive 60 years from now, if only to see how the world is when more or less everyone alive has been alive with the Internet around them, and as such might have a different viewpoint on information, sharing and a lot of stuff quite frankly.

This is win. Spread the word of the great Uploader! All hail the Holy Copy Paste button!

I hope this flies in the UK...

Wow, pretty cool. I'm not really sure what else to say...

This doesn't put them above the law in any way, does it?

Oh, I love being a Swede. I'm not really for piracy, but I just love that this exists. Be it for freedom of religion or just cuz it's hilarious, this is simply awesome.

Bah, next thing you know they'll be founding a "church" based on whatever fiction some strung-out pulp SF author couldn't get his editor to accept.

Jedi forming a real world 'religion' was humorous.

Pastafarianism was just stupid.

This...

I'll just let Mr. Jones do the talking on this...

Versuvius:
This is win. Spread the word of the great Uploader! All hail the Holy Copy Paste button!

I hope this flies in the UK...

Son, we've yet to recognise Atheism officially.

At least in the US and Commonwealth Nations, only "nonprofit educational purposes" get a free ride. As a lot of religious organization have found out the hard way "nonprofit religious purposes" is not except able in court, and often lose infringement cases.

CapitalistPig:
Wow that could be game, set, match. But im fuzzy on what happens if your church breaks serious laws "in the name of god." so to speak. I mean its not like christians (or any religion) can smuggle guns, or drugs. So if your breaking international felonious laws what happens? Oh and dont drink their kool aid. We cant write them off as a cult yet. :P

In the US religions still have to obey the laws of the land, which is why religious zealots are fighting so hard to get religious laws on the books, like pro-life, school prayer, etc. Polygamists may be following their religion but if caught they are prosecuted. Same as with those Amish men in Ohio who were attacking other Amish men and forcibly shaving off their beards because they weren't "the right kind of" Amish enough - they were arrested for hate crimes and will be tried.

OT: This just proves what I've always thought: religions are silly (though sometimes cute).

3AM:

CapitalistPig:

In the US religions still have to obey the laws of the land, which is why religious zealots are fighting so hard to get religious laws on the books, like pro-life, school prayer, etc. Polygamists may be following their religion but if caught they are prosecuted. Same as with those Amish men in Ohio who were attacking other Amish men and forcibly shaving off their beards because they weren't "the right kind of" Amish enough - they were arrested for hate crimes and will be tried.

OT: This just proves what I've always thought: religions are silly (though sometimes cute).

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political means then well, were no better then the rest.

CapitalistPig:

3AM:

CapitalistPig:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political means then well, were no better then the rest.

Im going to quote myself on this:

"There is no way our Supreme court will agree that all information should be free, since then it would become a national security problem since anyone would be able to "convert" and then the government would not be allowed to listen on their activies online which would mean that people just need to use ip phones since that would be information, and the fact that blueprints for bombs and such would be open for the public since they could just say thats information and its sacred for them to share it. same with military secrets and blueprints for all the houses, and credit cards numbers (also information) and such things"

So TD:LR there is no way our supreme court will remove a couple of laws and place a new one that would make it illegal for our government to restrict any information at all.

And btw Swedish law stands above religion, priests have been fined and Im quite certain one was jailed for spreading hatespeech against gays in their preaches

Tubez:
sinp

True. i mean obviously the supreme court wont approve anything like that. But thats not what either of our quotes were about. This isnt about the U.S its about Sweden where the world is vastly different. They COULD sanction something like this. while it won't matter in the U.S it could matter in the E.U.

CapitalistPig:

Tubez:
sinp

True. i mean obviously the supreme court wont approve anything like that. But thats not what either of our quotes were about. This isnt about the U.S its about Sweden where the world is vastly different. They COULD sanction something like this. while it won't matter in the U.S it could matter in the E.U.

I guess I should have written MY Supreme court aka Högsta Domstolen.

This has got to simply be a political move. There's no way that they actually beleive this.

Well if they'll let me pray for the death of Electronic Arts I guess they can sign me up!

CapitalistPig:

3AM:

CapitalistPig:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political
means then well, were no better then the rest.

I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.

3AM:

CapitalistPig:

3AM:

True but this isn't the U.S they could actually influence their country to gain more freedoms then are allowed in (my) our country. I dont really approve because frankly i think this misuse of "faith" is why our generation ends up looking down on religion so much. Religion is a mechanism for culture and coping during hard times and if people use if for political
means then well, were no better then the rest.

I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.

The thing is this will not affect our laws at all, since our religions need to obey our laws.

So I guess this is most likely only a way for him to raise attention to piracy/filesharing I guess.. or he is a very good troll.

3AM:
snip

yea im with you there. its very reminiscent of days gone by when martin luther nailed his 99 thesis's to a church door (which was a good thing.) I mean misuse of religion is pretty much one of the worst routes to go to make a point valid. You win no kudos points and everyone resents you. worse, you gain power and people actually believe in you and then you must provide. It all ends bad down this road.

"religion" might be pushing it, but Information Cults are an established part of science fiction, so it doesn't entirely surprise me that they will eventually crop up in real life as technology advances.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here