Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So... do they get tax breaks now?

Personally, I think this is kinda awesome :P
Sure, it's more or less a publicity stunt, but a funny one nonetheless.

...What? I think I may have read this wrong. Seriously, this is utterly ridiculous. I'm going to The United States Congress and getting the religion of baking cakes recognized.

*posted deleted*

I suddenly realized what I was typing made no sense

At least they'll have a few weeks of legally sanctioned behaviour before SOPA starts up. Is that like their Armageddon?

Does this mean I can make a religion based on Ben Folds?

I love me some Ben Folds...

this is no better or worse than any other crack-pot religion. Good luck to em.

Good news dad! i found religion!

DoctorSun:
...What? I think I may have read this wrong. Seriously, this is utterly ridiculous. I'm going to The United States Congress and getting the religion of baking cakes recognized.

Please keep us updated on your progress - I'm down for consuming the sweet flesh and chocolate-syrupy blood of our Caked Savior.

OT: Thou shalt not immediately close your window after your download is complete.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in the last year.

gigastrike:
This has got to simply be a political move. There's no way that they actually beleive this.

Of course its a political move. Its designed to create hype, since the pirate party, in both Sweden and Denmark, has lost a lot of its political momentum lately. They know that it wont give them anything in the long run except some publicity, since in all Scandinavian and European countries the law always overrules any religious tenet that breaks said law.

Edit: double post

Greatest. Trolls. EVER.

Seriously, this is just fantastic. I can just imagine a church meeting...

"And lo did the great Torrent step forth from nothing. And the great Torrent said "Let there be a Bay of Pirates!" and it was so."

I now feel an inescapable need to move to Sweden.

3AM:
I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.

So if a law currently being proposed runs contrary to your religious beliefs, you can't attempt to justify those beliefs using your religion, despite it ostensibly being the basis of your moral compass?

Considering that religions often feature a heavy dose of "do this, don't do that", it's natural that they'd come into conflict with the law of a land that takes a different view. The strongly religious are often so deeply influenced by the tenets of their faith (or more likely, their own personal interpretation of the tenets of their faith) that they can't not use religion in a political fashion, because it's the basis of their political opinions. I'm not saying I like it, but I do understand that for many people their political views are directly descended from their religious beliefs; anti-abortionists, anti-gay marriage campaigners and so on.

How can they avoid using their religion in a political fashion when their politics are religious? It's a bad thing that people do it, but it's also an unavoidable thing.

Wait I think i get it... I do not think it is so much a "Religion" as it is a Fail-safe against SOPA! Is SOPA goes through they might be able to get exempted from it. Meaning any website can join them making SOPA useless against them!

Very slim chance of that actually working..... But yeah that might be one of the craziest things I have seen to combat SOPA. But hey. So crazy it might just work!

And if I am wrong and this is actually legit... Well... What else do you expect from a neutral country like Sweden?

poiumty:
That is just a bit silly. But maybe in 2000 years people will believe that Uploader made the universe come into being, and his son Seeder Christ cleansed the world of all its sins.

That would be pretty kickass.

A better creation story might be; first there was one. His imagination and his knowledge was great and he created the atom. Content with his creation he begun to copy and reinvent his creation. He looks down at his torrent of data and he call it the Universe. Lonely he copied himself so that someone could witness his great creations. His clone too copied and remixed himself and over time the great web of life and knowledge spread to the farthest reachs of reality.

All that life was torrented from the Heaven.net or something. Lots of room for theology actually.

OT: This is cool and I'll probably add it to my list of amusing religions that I can call wavering loyalty towards.

Worgen:
It makes more sense then religions that seem to be based around hating on the gays or whatever most of the ones around here are since their main tenant seems to be "gays bad".

If you can name me ONE religion that (at its core tenants) states that "gays are bad", please tell me what it is. Go ahead, try.

PEOPLE are the ones who contort the meanings behind the words and form bigoted opinions based on blind "faith". At their core, I don't believe there is one religion that says "hate the gays". </rant>

AnarchistAbe:

Worgen:
It makes more sense then religions that seem to be based around hating on the gays or whatever most of the ones around here are since their main tenant seems to be "gays bad".

If you can name me ONE religion that (at its core tenants) states that "gays are bad", please tell me what it is. Go ahead, try.

PEOPLE are the ones who contort the meanings behind the words and form bigoted opinions based on blind "faith". At their core, I don't believe there is one religion that says "hate the gays". </rant>

Well people make the religion and while I know that gays are actually hardly mentioned in the bible aside from a few parts and that pillar of compassion and understanding known as leviticus, one could be understandably forgiven for assuming that hating gays is one of christianities main tenants considering how much the louder and stupider members of said religion like to yell about them and blame them for disasters.

Entitlement just got a new incarnation.

Dammit, now I can't choose between Piracy or Jedi as a religion.

I think people are reading WAY too much into this. They probably don't have a political goal or some kind of conspiracy reason for creating a religion. They're just doing it for the lulz.

Yay and God said to the Pirates, "Gather ye close thine files and spread forth thine seed with great vigor upon the men and the women, the children and the old, so that thine peers mayst gather seed of their own and enjoy thine fruit in its ripeness."

And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.

Helloo:
And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.

Why is there such a fail for swedish government for not discriminating against a religion?

Worgen:

AnarchistAbe:

Worgen:

Well people make the religion and while I know that gays are actually hardly mentioned in the bible aside from a few parts and that pillar of compassion and understanding known as leviticus, one could be understandably forgiven for assuming that hating gays is one of christianities main tenants considering how much the louder and stupider members of said religion like to yell about them and blame them for disasters.

That, I will agree with. The overzealous minority strikes again! lol

Mr Tito (or the editor who made the title) is a liar.

Sweden has recognized information/file-sharing as a religion.
Piracy is to file-sharing as cows are to mammals.

SonicWaffle:

3AM:
I agree with you. Not about Swedish law - I'm ignorant of those though I always thought of Sweden as a more progressive country than the US - but about using religion for political ends. It pisses me off and scares me.

So if a law currently being proposed runs contrary to your religious beliefs, you can't attempt to justify those beliefs using your religion, despite it ostensibly being the basis of your moral compass?

Considering that religions often feature a heavy dose of "do this, don't do that", it's natural that they'd come into conflict with the law of a land that takes a different view. The strongly religious are often so deeply influenced by the tenets of their faith (or more likely, their own personal interpretation of the tenets of their faith) that they can't not use religion in a political fashion, because it's the basis of their political opinions. I'm not saying I like it, but I do understand that for many people their political views are directly descended from their religious beliefs; anti-abortionists, anti-gay marriage campaigners and so on.

How can they avoid using their religion in a political fashion when their politics are religious? It's a bad thing that people do it, but it's also an unavoidable thing.

You raise a valid point and one that's at the root of most political/religious conflicts, don't you think? I don't know how to fix it except with how I live and with my vote - the old 'think globally act locally' axiom. I'm a strong proponent of the separation of church and state and I cringe when I see religion creeping into my government.

one thing about laws - they make no sense. and im pretty sure its just so they can "protect their religion" in court, should someone try to take their "freedom of religion"

still, it looks like they are trying to troll other nations. nope, im not going to name them....

at least they aren't unitoligists.

praise altaman

Eh, so what if they're a religion, piracy is still illegal. You can believe whatever you want, but you can't do whatever you want.

I like this. The Swedish Humanist Blog has been following this issue for the last year and the significance of it has to do with why believing in zombie Jesus could grant you a government funding, but believing in the importance of spreading information couldn't.
Hopefully, this is a step in the direction to stop governmnets funding supersticions

Kwil:
Mr Tito (or the editor who made the title) is a liar.

Sweden has recognized information/file-sharing as a religion.
Piracy is to file-sharing as cows are to mammals.

pro tip: Never read much into Greg articles, he is a bit of a retard who they just keep around so he can get gold stars and feel important :P

orangeban:
Eh, so what if they're a religion, piracy is still illegal. You can believe whatever you want, but you can't do whatever you want.

The thing is, as a religion, they can get stae funding, so while the state is against piracy, they must still suport it. The importance of this is lampshading how ridiculous it is that the state funds religions that have values that directly opose the values of the state.

What I find funniest is the people that are Christians or otherwise thinking THIS is ridiculous. How is this any less ridiculous then any mainstream religion?

3AM:

The thing is, why should religion be treated as better than views based on, say politics or just your own sence of morality? Today, this is how the law looks. You can get state funding for your hate agains the gays aslong as it's not based on reason but the imperical word of God. This is, in my oppinion, f**ed up, and this is a good lampshade on how messed up laws like this really is. I don't think the founders had humanitarian ideals as their goal, but that is why I think this is brilliant.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here