Sweden Formally Recognizes Piracy as Religion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

tzimize:
Kopimism is not any more about piracy than bit-torrenting is. Its a philosophical standpoint that happens to coincide with some piracy. Their thoughts about information are interesting to say the least, but they are not pirates.

Quite. And in that regard, I totally support the decision to recognize Kopimism as a real religion.

After doing a little searching to read a little more about their actual belief, it seems just about as legitimate as any other religious philosophy.

Kind of reminds me of the 'internet as a group consciousness' idea.

Basically the opposite of what those "internet is serious business" jokes are about. The idea that internet ideas are starting to become a big part of the culture of each individual country and the world at large. And that things said on the internet can be important and influential as anywhere. That the influence of the internet is far reaching and powerful. And that the internet is an important influence on our own minds, almost to the point the internet becomes much like a group consciousness of interconnected minds. To the point the individual almost becomes absorbed into the opinion of the internet as a force.

Which is kind of true, actually. We may not be able to upload our brains to the internet yet. But we share information, things we create, things we believe, on a constant basis En Masse. Millions and millions of people do this, input personal information, feelings, primary motivations and desires in life out onto the internet in some form or fashion.

In many ways, it could be like a religion. What I do on the internet, if I am not able to live to see hardcore life extension, is the only thing that will exist permanently after I die.

aha, I bet that this is the first step towards getting a clergy or priesthood. that could mean that you could get/take a Vow of Silence or whatever its called in English.(that thing that gives you legal protection about confidentiality when you take a confession.)

meaning that you could protect information sent from seeder to priest or viceverse
if this flies, then its genius!

Varya:

orangeban:
Eh, so what if they're a religion, piracy is still illegal. You can believe whatever you want, but you can't do whatever you want.

The thing is, as a religion, they can get stae funding, so while the state is against piracy, they must still suport it. The importance of this is lampshading how ridiculous it is that the state funds religions that have values that directly opose the values of the state.

Can they? I don't actually know how Swedish law works, so I couldn't say. But from your post you say that the state *can* give them funding, so I imply that the state doesn't have to. Since the Swedish government has battled with these guys for a long time, I'd guess that they don't plan to fund them.

Good God. What the hell is this world coming to?

There are times where I legitimately have no idea whether or not real life is trolling.

This is one of those times.

Tubez:

Helloo:
And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.

Why is there such a fail for swedish government for not discriminating against a religion?

Because it's not a religion?! I don't care who or what or when or why or how categorises this as a religion, it's not a bloody religion.

My god. Don't tell me they've fooled you too as well as the good people of Sweden.

Tubez:
They are not an offshoot of Swedens pirate party.

"Kopimistsamfundet delar postadress med Piratpartiets ungdomsförbund men i övrigt finns det inga kopplingar mellan de olika organisationerna."

Lemme translate that for you because Google couldn't.

"Kopimistsamfundet shares postal address with the Piracy Party's youth association, but overall there is no connection between these organizations."

Just as I was getting proud of the Swedes pushing the limits of artillery with the Howitzer ARCHER, I find this. I'm sorely ashamed of my neighbors and anyone else in the country who have to put up with this paper-thin excuse for Christianity. I suppose it's a multi-theistic religion where every hacker who ever broke the FBI's firewalls are Gods?

Formica Archonis:
Bah, next thing you know they'll be founding a "church" based on whatever fiction some strung-out pulp SF author couldn't get his editor to accept.

Oh, wait . . .

On topic: I wanted to find a video of a spit take for this, but all of the videos I could find and long, uninteresting lead ins.

Maybe there is something to all this 2012 nonsense after all. ¬_¬

This made me smile. Haha, I my ol' soviet Sweden.

And I do hope you people realize that this is most likely "4 teh lulz".

Helloo:

Tubez:

Helloo:
And I presume this song is their Holy Gospel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBoOLR7WoN8

I can't tell if they did it because they were bored one Friday afternoon and thought "Why the hell not" or because they wanted to prove a point against religion in general, but it's a massive PHAIL for the Swedish government.

Political correctness where anyone and anything is welcomed and accepted gone too far.

Why is there such a fail for swedish government for not discriminating against a religion?

Because it's not a religion?! I don't care who or what or when or why or how categorises this as a religion, it's not a bloody religion.

My god. Don't tell me they've fooled you too as well as the good people of Sweden.

Meh. Im from Sweden.

And I think its as much as religion then any other religion in this world. So please tell me why it isnt a religion?

Pirates trying to justify their illicit actions by turning it into a religion?

That's just stupid.

Good job, I guess. Do they get tax-exempt status in Sweden as they do in many other countries? And if they do, how can I become a preacher?

DVS BSTrD:
What do you call a pirate jazz musician?
A Kopi-cat

Today it's pirates, tomorrow it will be ninjas, where will it end?

with the battle of the century!

(Thank you, I'm here all week, tip your waitresses!)

Altorin:
"religion" might be pushing it, but Information Cults are an established part of science fiction, so it doesn't entirely surprise me that they will eventually crop up in real life as technology advances.

Yeah... the whole thing strikes me as more of a 'philosophy' than a 'religion'.

Oh well, I suppose the only loss here is the time and effort of those involved. After all, religion doesn't relieve you from the law. They probably should have thought of that ahead of time.

Pretty stupid.
Still, makes more sense than all other religions combined.

orangeban:

Varya:

orangeban:
Eh, so what if they're a religion, piracy is still illegal. You can believe whatever you want, but you can't do whatever you want.

The thing is, as a religion, they can get stae funding, so while the state is against piracy, they must still suport it. The importance of this is lampshading how ridiculous it is that the state funds religions that have values that directly opose the values of the state.

Can they? I don't actually know how Swedish law works, so I couldn't say. But from your post you say that the state *can* give them funding, so I imply that the state doesn't have to. Since the Swedish government has battled with these guys for a long time, I'd guess that they don't plan to fund them.

Not sure on the details, but what I said was that the religious organisation can get money, not that the state can choose to give, don't try and fool me in to a gramatical connundrum, I study this at the university;)
I'm no expert at how the laws are written but they're entitled to some kind of funding, probably based on the number of members. This isn' a unique thing for Sweden, I'm pretty certain, many countries provide fundings for religions, atleast I think so.

Zhukov:

BabySinclair:

Zhukov:
Ha ha, that's kind of funny... I guess?

I do have to wonder exactly what these fine folks hope to gain out of this arrangement though.

Easy, they think that it will allow them to share information without government involvement. It's pretty smart actually. Don't know how well it would work over there (I'm in the US) but since they can call it "expression of religion," they can call the religion card should the government go after their activities.

No, that won't work.

Sure, they can claim file sharing as a religious activity, but that doesn't automatically make it legal for them to break copyright law.

Or to put it another way, Orthodox Christians can baptise their babies all they like, but their priests would still get arrested for throwing other people's children in ponds.

Quote of the Day

*clap* *clap* *clap*

The_root_of_all_evil:

Versuvius:
This is win. Spread the word of the great Uploader! All hail the Holy Copy Paste button!

I hope this flies in the UK...

Son, we've yet to recognise Atheism officially.

Should... Atheism be recognized officially?

~signed one who's not trolling, just curious as to your reasons behind it.

First the suicide roller coaster, then the two scientists that have found a way to make Swine Flu more contagious, and now this (Sigh)

Save me Jeebus.

Ugh...

I'm not a fan of SOPA but these people just make me feel ashamed for humanity. Especially since Kopimism is pronounced foolishly. This just makes me ... ugh... I can't.

Mimsofthedawg:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Versuvius:
This is win. Spread the word of the great Uploader! All hail the Holy Copy Paste button!

I hope this flies in the UK...

That's another question entirely. We're still calling 30 different religions Christianity for a start without bothering to differentiate between Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Adventist, Christian Scientist...

It does seem to me that the escapists once again misunderstood the truth. Kopimism isn't about piracy, its about knowledge being sacred and new knowledge is made by remixing old knowledge. Or as Newton said, standing on the shoulders of giants. If we arn't allowed to remix old knowledge our scientific community will collapse as everything will be hidden behind copyright's, as an example, just look at the patent trolling between Apple and Samsung.

.........Wha? ah, ow. I think I just blacked out from the stupidity of that story for a minute. When combine that much frozen stupid with that much troll at one time it become a powerful knock-out agent.

This is dumb. There is nothing else to say and this story doesn't deserve any more of my time.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mimsofthedawg:

The_root_of_all_evil:

That's another question entirely. We're still calling 30 different religions Christianity for a start without bothering to differentiate between Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Adventist, Christian Scientist...

well you sound a little bitter, which is quite sad to me. :(

But by your attitude I would guess that getting atheism recognized isn't about garnering respect, but more a statement on the ludicrous system and how it differentiates between "religions" and why.

Though the whole business is odd to me, seeing as how there is no such concept in America. One could argue that the state recognizes religious organizations by giving them tax exempt status, etc., but the fact we don't have a "Board of Religious Certification" or some odd thing speaks volumes about the cultural difference in how religion is treated in American versus Europe.

To editor: ctrl+f, "teh".
Thank you.

Mimsofthedawg:

If the only way you can get a day off a year is by faking your religion, you'd be too.

Religions, as they stand, are a label that is wrongly used by fundamentalists to justify their own desires and governments to dish out monies, without looking at the differences between them, the good they can do and the evil they can do.

Before you even go near the Cult of Scientology.

Though the whole business is odd to me, seeing as how there is no such concept in America. One could argue that the state recognizes religious organizations by giving them tax exempt status, etc., but the fact we don't have a "Board of Religious Certification" or some odd thing speaks volumes about the cultural difference in how religion is treated in American versus Europe.

I'd be careful there; America has some religious taint that we've banished long ao. Televangelists never took hold here for that very reason.

I think people just need to recognise Religion as a Belief; not an excuse and certainly not as a target.

Formica Archonis:
Bah, next thing you know they'll be founding a "church" based on whatever fiction some strung-out pulp SF author couldn't get his editor to accept.

Isn't that religion in a nutshell anyway?

Doh well, at least its pretty kick ass that a religion is based on a aspect of technology without people being crazy.

What would be wonderful is if everyone who put piracy as their religion on the census was fined for theft.

binnsyboy:
What would be wonderful is if everyone who put piracy as their religion on the census was fined for theft.

What would be wonderful if everyone that wrote Christianity as religion would be jailed for hatespeech against gay.

Carlioo:
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at my own country.... This is just silly...

TRAITOR! GET OUT OF MAH COUNTRY! This is absolutley awesome :D

That's right... keep watering down religion and showing the world just what silly things they tend to be. Hopefully in the next century people will actually have opinions based off of reason and logic rather than made up fairy tales.

Oh Sweden :3 Only they can get away with this, but fair enough if it wants to be a religion, I'm not sure what their practices are... One can only assume...

Zhukov:

BabySinclair:

Zhukov:
Ha ha, that's kind of funny... I guess?

I do have to wonder exactly what these fine folks hope to gain out of this arrangement though.

Easy, they think that it will allow them to share information without government involvement. It's pretty smart actually. Don't know how well it would work over there (I'm in the US) but since they can call it "expression of religion," they can call the religion card should the government go after their activities.

No, that won't work.

Sure, they can claim file sharing as a religious activity, but that doesn't automatically make it legal for them to break copyright law.

Or to put it another way, Orthodox Christians can baptise their babies all they like, but their priests would still get arrested for throwing other people's children in ponds.

There is another crime against children that I don't recall anyone getting imprisoned for.

So perhaps it just depends on the crime you break within the institution.

Mimsofthedawg:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Mimsofthedawg:

But by your attitude I would guess that getting atheism recognized isn't about garnering respect, but more a statement on the ludicrous system and how it differentiates between "religions" and why.

Atheism is not a religion, its just a poorly named state of being.

Atheism is effectively living and interacting with the "What Is" as opposed to living and believing in the "What If".

There is no faith behind it, unless we are going to argue nihililsm and say that everyone is not real and just a figment of our imaginations. Lines need to be drawn somewhere, the universe is real and thus living within it and interacting with it are not matters of faith and so not a religion.

The_root_of_all_evil:

If the only way you can get a day off a year is by faking your religion, you'd be too.

Religions, as they stand, are a label that is wrongly used by fundamentalists to justify their own desires and governments to dish out monies, without looking at the differences between them, the good they can do and the evil they can do.

Before you even go near the Cult of Scientology.

I don't recall the source but I like the quote "There are as many types of Christianity as there are Christians."

The idea (that I'm about to poorly summarize) being that Religion itself is a facade as everyone inside the group has a different and often conflicting total view of their faith.

geizr:
Pirates trying to justify their illicit actions by turning it into a religion?

That's just stupid.

Quite a popular tactic in human history though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here