Live-Action Akira Shuts Down

Pages PREV 1 2

It's probably for the best. Although I do believe that it's possible to make a great live action adaptation of Akira, this production didn't look like it was going in a good direction with its ideas.

Woohoo, finally.

Fantastic news! Lets hope it stays dead, along with all other anime related live actions they'd like to do in the future.

good, this movie cannot be made. moviebob did of list of things this movie would have to do to even have a chance at being decent. yeah, it wasn't going to do any of those. it was going to stink, back to development hell where it belongs.

I can sum this up in one sarcastic word, but the low content filter would block my post. So behold my heartbreaking response;

Aw.

But the Prom is TOMORROW!!!

Couldn't resist...

War Penguin:

itchcrotch:
CAN I GET A "HELL YEAH"?!
all we need now is for the cowboy bebop project to fall through.
ooooh today is a good day;D

After today, anything is possible, my friend. Anything is possible. :D

we just gotta have faith brother!

Woo! Hundreds of people out of work! A film that people could have quite easily ignored has been cancelled! Praise the lor-

While I doubt it would have been good, why are people cheering? They could just, you know, not watch it if they didn't think it would be good.

dogstile:
Woo! Hundreds of people out of work! A film that people could have quite easily ignored has been cancelled! Praise the lor-

While I doubt it would have been good, why are people cheering? They could just, you know, not watch it if they didn't think it would be good.

Because a bad movie based on a property from another medium is harmful in two ways: It means that a GOOD movie on the series is unlikely to ever be done, and a (deservedly) poor reception means it's less likely that other projects in the same vein will get a good treatment (the whole "well, nobody really wants to see that, so why bother putting in an effort" argument).

A bad Akira live-action film falling through leaves the door open for a GOOD one to be made in the future.

YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! All is literally well! The movie that nobody wanted, everyone who even cared about Akira protested against is shutting down! JUSTICE, THY NAME IS CHIN!

This has inspired me to do many things. I should go out, find a woman, get married, have children, and live my life to the fullest...

Good news, everyone!
No, really.
This is excellent news.

Aw... That's no fun. I was really looking forward to this.

All I can say is "Thank Christ". The more I read about it the more it sounded like an abomination. Neo-Manhattan, I mean really? Can't we just leave films within the context that they were intended?

Good. Akira should not be remade by Americans.
Or by anyone.

Why do I get the feeling that Hollywood is screaming "I'll get you next time!!" faaaaar far away in Loser Hills?

I will sum up my feelings on this matter in 3 letters: "meh".

I was kind of interested, just to see what they could do with it, but nothing will ever convince me that such a thing will go well. It just can't. Look what happened to "The Ring" and similar, they were live action to start with, an anime has no chance.

Winning.

Fuck the very concept of a white man's Akira. That movie was inspired by Hiroshima and Nagasaki, something Americans have a bit of a hard time understanding. Now the movie still resonates with us for a variety of reasons, but I don't think an American could create that movie.

Seriously this is great news! I've never been so happy that a movie project has been cancelled :'D

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here