Namco Notices Dark Souls PC Petition

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Namco Notices Dark Souls PC Petition

Over 70,000 gamers want the crushing difficulty of Dark Souls, and Namco Bandai has heard their plea.

Apparently, many PC gamers felt that The Witcher 2 was just not hard enough, because now they want Dark Souls. A group of passionate fans on the Namco Bandai forums decided that Dark Souls would be a natural fit for the PC gaming crowd and devised a petition saying as much. In just a little over a week, the petition has accrued over 70,000 signatures. Word of the petition has now reached an administrator on the forums, who promises that his bosses are well aware of it and considering their options carefully.

Tony Shoupinou, a community manager for Namco Bandai, has been following the Dark Souls petition thread since the beginning, and is impressed with the turnout so far. "I honestly wasn't expecting such a massive support," writes Shoupinou. While he does not promise a PC port - or even comment on its likelihood - he assures fans that his bosses have heard about the petition's success, and are monitoring it to see what happens from here. Regardless of what his bosses think, though, Shoupinou himself is a fan of the idea. "If you wanted to have the attention of Namco Bandai Games, now you have it. The future is in your hands, and I hope you will keep supporting this."

PC gamers who want Dark Souls still have a ways to go before their dream becomes a reality, but getting Namco's attention is definitely a big step in the right direction. With any luck, you, too, will soon have the opportunity to be roasted by dragons, poisoned by frogs, and eaten by treasure chests.

Source: Namco Forums via G4

Again, I wouldn't get excited until FromSoft chimes in.

PC can do anything. Might as well do Dark Souls too.

yay!! :D phase 1 complete

i guess? >.>?

ether way i see this as good, NOW GIMMEH MEH GAME THAT HATES MEH WITH THE FURY OF 10,000 SUNZ!!

Wow, this petition has been doing quite well. When I signed it earlier this week, I didn't think it would get that much attention but over 70'000 in a few days, that's pretty good and is bound to get the attention from some important people.
I would love to play it on the PC. I was only able to play Demon Souls a bit on a friend's PS3 and I loved it but I haven't played Dark Souls at all.

If they won't make PC port for Dark Souls, it could at least lead to a PC port for the next game.

I think EpicNameBro put it best. This isn't about just getting a PC port of Dark Souls.

It's about getting the sequel (if there is one of course) on the PC.

Ow, my bitter jealousy.

Well, congratulations. I hope that this makes Namco look upon the PC more highly in general.

Their section in Steam is as sorry as it gets. And Steam will become just a little big nicer if this game gets on Steam. It's a much better game than Ninja Blade, being a game not riddled with quick time events and actually intelligent gameplay.

70,000 signatures. How many actual sales do you think that would signify? 20,000? I'd say that's being generous.

I'd like to see it happen, but it still seems highly unlikely at the moment. "Wait and see," I guess.

How would dark souls even work on pc? The movements are too finicky for standard wasd, and I imagine the platforming would be a nightmare... I suppose you could always use your ps3 controller, but doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose?

I signed the petition. I figured I may not buy it right away, but if enough people want it that badly, I say I support their action. Besides, I'm sure it would be fun to get on PC. I'd at least like the option.

I don't know about this... my experience with ports isn't all that great.

SurfinTaxt:
How would dark souls even work on pc? The movements are too finicky for standard wasd, and I imagine the platforming would be a nightmare... I suppose you could always use your ps3 controller, but doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose?

Dark souls has platforming? Where?

It's not that hard to make controls for it. The mouse moves the camera, LMB and RMB control the right weapon.

shift activates the left hand light attack (which is a block with shields). E activates the left hand heavy attack (a parry or a shield bash with shields)

space is the dodge/sprint button

R changes between 1-handed and 2-handed.

The number buttons activate your item hotkeys

and q is the use button

No need for auto-lock. The mouse is accurate enough that you won't need it. Instead just have it so your character is always facing away from the camera.

I got a better idea...

Lets get a giant group of hackers together to create an Xbox360 or PS3 emulator, and then use that to play em on the PC? :P

Kakashi on crack:
I got a better idea...

Lets get a giant group of hackers together to create an Xbox360 or PS3 emulator, and then use that to play em on the PC? :P

I like this. I like this alot.

Kakashi on crack:
I got a better idea...

You realize the insane amount of resources that it takes to make an emulator right?
You're essentially recreating an operating system within your own system, it is insanely hard and more often than not, just not worth it.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Actually, the developer has no say whatsoever in this matter other than "we want to make this port" or "you should have another studio port the game because we don't care/don't feel comfortable coding for PC".

See, it's the publisher who actually owns the property that is Dark Souls and it's on them to evaluate whether there is a market for this port and to greenlight (i.e: fund) the project or not. Conjecture, conjecture, conjecture. Furthermore, conjecture.

Kakashi on crack:
I got a better idea...

You do know how fast of a processor you need just to emulate PS2/GC/Wii games at full speed, right? And a lot of popular games don't even work 100% accurately with several years of effort behind them (and some more obscure ones don't work at all yet). PCSX2 and Dolphin are very impressive for what they are, but don't expect a usable 360 or PS3 emulator any time soon for those reasons. The hardware requirements, compatibility, and stability of a native port rather than an emulated version are orders of magnitude better.

Mr.Tea:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Actually, the developer has no say whatsoever in this matter other than "we want to make this port" or "you should have another studio port the game because we don't care/don't feel comfortable coding for PC".

See, it's the publisher who actually owns the property that is Dark Souls and it's on them to evaluate whether there is a market for this port and to greenlight (i.e: fund) the project or not.

Um... How could they own the property to Dark Souls when the game is self-published in Japan?

You see Nintendo America? THAT'S how you respond to a petition!

Korten12:

Mr.Tea:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

See, it's the publisher who actually owns the property that is Dark Souls and it's on them to evaluate whether there is a market for this port and to greenlight (i.e: fund) the project or not.

Um... How could they own the property to Dark Souls when the game is self-published in Japan?

Well I was going off how it usually works, but a little fact-checking showed me that they did self-publish, though only in Japan... I don't know how what kind of deal they made or how it works, but publishers have a bad habit of being pretty cutthroat so I may be half-right.

Still, I should have remembered it came from Japan and that I don't really know those companies before I opened my big mouth :S

Fappy:
I don't know about this... my experience with ports isn't all that great.

Yeah, mine too, it's been a mixed bag at best.

Since Capcom took the reins themselves to make PC ports, theirs are some of the finest ports for PC, they even surpass their console counterparts in every concievable way (at least graphically).

But then, every now and then, we get ports like Darksiders, they are pretty functional as they are, but they have bare bones optiones and crappy pre-recorded videos instead of real time rendered videos, like any good game should have, unless it's something so insane that the game can't handle by itself.

Sonic Generations is pretty much guilty of this too... but I forgive that game for being too awesome.

OT: Where was I?, oh!, yes. I want to be eaten by treasure chests too :P

If you guys don't get dark souls there's a chance you might get armored core 5 for the PC. From all the hype they generated.

Fawxy:
70,000 signatures. How many actual sales do you think that would signify? 20,000? I'd say that's being generous.

I'd like to see it happen, but it still seems highly unlikely at the moment. "Wait and see," I guess.

RPG's and difficult games are very popular on PC. 70k signatures on a petition is small potatoes compared to the number of people that would see it on Steam and buy it. Witcher 2 sold over a million copies on PC alone. Whether Dark Souls will break a million I dunno but I know it would sell a hell of a lot more than just 20k.

I would honestly say they would be fools not to port it given the response so far. The only thing that worries me is the quality of the port. Getting it would be great but if they put no effort into making the port a good one then its pointless. For example you really need some thought put into anti-cheat to deal with hackers on PC.

SurfinTaxt:

Uh, if I had to guess I would think that people don't want to play Dark Souls on the computer because they can use a keyboard and mouse, but rather, people want to play Dark Souls on the computer because all they have IS a computer.

Some people don't have consoles. And some people with computers don't mind using game pads. Computers used to (and, sorta still do) have joysticks, driving wheels, peddles, etcetera as peripherials. PC gamers who sleep with their keyboard and mouse obviously haven't been PC gamers for very long, either that or they have very short memories, because peripherials are nothing new.

There is one downside to a PC port.

Unfair advantage.

The game developers go out of their way to make sure the only avenue of communication you have with fellow players during gameplay is the message system.
They even disabled party chat for the 360 version.

How are they going to block that on the PC? Answer is, they can't.

But that's just a very nitpicky reason. I still support this.

While people that didn't sign(or know about) the petition will buy it, many of the people that did sign it would most likely pirate the game. It could have been their motivation to sign it in the first place. I guess it's up to Namco to weigh the pros and cons of the port.

By "considering" they mean asking the guys in finances if this would be profitable base don the numbers. Also, if it happens just watch people start bitching about it being a "console port".

If pc gamers get a dark souls port, console gamers should get a witcher 2 port (if there's been some news about this that we're geting one then sorry)

At least they're considering. The best I can see though is the next game (Dark Dawn? hehehe) coming out as a PC and PS port. I don't think they will or can afford to do a port for DS now.

Twilight_guy:
Also, if it happens just watch people start bitching about it being a "console port".

I'll only bitch about it a console port if the original was on PC (I'm looking at you, Crytek). I signed the petition, I understand it stemmed from the console and as such, I personally can accept it as a console port. I just can't wait to die again, again, again.... and again!

Matt King:
If pc gamers get a dark souls port, console gamers should get a witcher 2 port (if there's been some news about this that we're geting one then sorry)

A Xbox 360 version has been in the works since the original PC version was released. I think it was speculated to come out spring this year.

OT: I would definitely buy as soon as I'm allowed to spend some money again. Which would probably be before it's released since I doubt them making/releasing it in the next 8 months.

Marshall Honorof:

Apparently, many PC gamers felt that The Witcher 2 was just not hard enough, because now they want Dark Souls.

The Witcher 2? That's insulting. That game just had a reverse difficulty curve, that's all.

Fawxy:

Much more than 70.000. The world isn't so small, and not everyone has heard of the petition, bothered to sign it or will even care until they see it on Steam.
This won't be a first-day blockbuster. But over the years, the sales will eventually come to compete with console sales just because games have so much more longevity on the PC.

RanD00M:

Matt King:

A Xbox 360 version has been in the works since the original PC version was released. I think it was speculated to come out spring this year.

oh sweet, did not know that, then yeah hope they do make a dark souls, fair trade

OT i'd never be able to play it on my laptop because it isn't that great, so either way i'll prob just stick to the xbox one

poiumty:
Much more than 70.000. The world isn't so small, and not everyone has heard of the petition, bothered to sign it or will even care until they see it on Steam.
This won't be a first-day blockbuster. But over the years, the sales will eventually come to compete with console sales just because games have so much more longevity on the PC.

They will not only compete, they will be higher. Simply because in 10 years the PC version will still be sold first hand while the console gamers have to live with second hand sales. The few console gamers that are willing to get themselfes an old console for this.

TheKasp:

poiumty:

They will not only compete, they will be higher. Simply because in 10 years the PC version will still be sold first hand while the console gamers have to live with second hand sales. The few console gamers that are willing to get themselfes an old console for this.

Ofcourse even after a few months, PC games are usually sold at a discount and that means less money. I don't think companies get excited about $5 sales trickling in years after release.

Let's not get too optimistic about sales. For triple-A blockbusters, PC sales are significant but usually behind the 360 and behind the PS3.
The biggest consideration here is that with a non-exclusive 360 game already made and on the market for quite a while, aslong as the port isn't of terrible quality, it will always make an extra profit, because it's cheap.

Good, now deliver the game unto me. I can't wait to face down the (quote from a friend) "giant toothed vagina dragon".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here