SOPA Storms Back

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

SOPA Storms Back

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith says he expects SOPA markup hearings to resume in February.

Remember those heady days when we thought the Stop Online Piracy Act, better known as SOPA, was effectively dead in the water? Yeah, that was yesterday. Today, however, it looks like all that enthusiasm and Braveheart-esque cries of "Victory!" were misplaced and premature, as Lamar Smith, who introduced the bill in the U.S. House of Representatives, put out a press release today saying that markup of the bill is expected to resume in February.

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy," Smith said.

"Due to the Republican and Democratic retreats taking place over the next two weeks, markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act is expected to resume in February," he continued. "I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property."

There was never any question that SOPA would be back in some form or other, at some point or other, but the hope, I think, was that it would take a little longer than this. Smith's version of events actually suggests that the delay was simply part of the normal course of legislative business, and that White House criticism of the bill had nothing to do with it. That's not particularly encouraging either.

I also find his reference to "foreign thieves" to be deeply offensive, although it's hardly the first time SOPA proponents have played the "dirty foreigner" card - but being one myself, I suppose I may be a little over-sensitive to such things.

Source: Techdirt

SOPA will pass and then be repealed after the consequences are fully realized. Did anyone expect it to be completely gone?

Here we go again.
Mr Nick Cage I believe you have something to say on this matter?

Andy Chalk:

I also find his reference to "foreign thieves" to be deeply offensive, although it's hardly the first time SOPA proponents have played the "dirty foreigner" card - but being one myself, I suppose I may be a little over-sensitive to such things.

I seem to recall one episode a few years ago, covered by you no less, about the US calling all us Canadians the evil pirates of North America.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
SOPA will pass and then be repealed after the consequences are fully realized. Did anyone expect it to be completely gone?

I think you're pretty optimistic. But I knew it was coming back.

...I just didn't expect it to rise in a day.

For the love of Pete! Now my Newgrounds post is a lie! That's it, I'm joining the black out tomorrow on both my Youtube and My Newgrounds account (I'll keep this one up to have something to do).

Andy Chalk:
a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs

What jobs is he talking about? Won't SOPA destory all kinds of jobs like some of the ones people on the escapist have?

SirBryghtside:
I'm either deeply miunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.

Look at our foreign policy. We're all about physically stomping on soverignty so why not do it in a less visible way online?

Damn stubborn politicians, just let SOPA die.

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy,"

So now its only us foreign people that pirate then is it?

So it seems that "why can't it stay dead?" isn't a problem reserved only for video games and zombie movies.

Zachary Amaranth:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I think you're pretty optimistic. But I knew it was coming back.

...I just didn't expect it to rise in a day.

Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.

Dam that was fast, btw is the blackout protest tommorow?

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.

with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.

The Artificially Prolonged:

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy,"

He is a Republican. He had to get in at least one xenophobic comment.

This is America. Where we condemn Mexicans for coming here and taking our jobs but defend corporations for sending jobs overseas. Are you surprised we'd call this a "foreign" issue? :p

Awww goddamit...
Gulie, go ahead...

*Primes gun*

Lock and load, people. This isn't gonna be pretty.

"Sir, is this gonna be a stand-up fight or another bug hunt?"

You stow that shit, Hudson!

Zachary Amaranth:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.

Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".

RedEyesBlackGamer:

He is a Republican. He had to get in at least one xenophobic comment.

Yep, that's part of our policy. Everything we say has to include some form of xenophobia. Or xylophobia.

BTW, I really don't like these

OT: Oh well. I guess we have to keep fighting it.

Soviet Heavy:

Andy Chalk:

I seem to recall one episode a few years ago, covered by you no less, about the US calling all us Canadians the evil pirates of North America.

Well, this happened a few years back.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/178181

Or was it a different story? Either way, once again it's shown that Hollywood is either lying, or is flat-out incompetent. Perhaps both.

Fantastic. It'd be nice if the entertainment industry justly got all the revenue it deserves whilst just asking for billion dollar empires to be more proactive in the fight against piracy. Maybe the internet is a tame-able beast?

Hardcore_gamer:

What jobs is he talking about? Won't SOPA destory all kinds of jobs like some of the ones people on the escapist have?

Nope it won't destroy anything that isn't infringing on copyright. The Bill is so tightly worded that it really can only be used against torrent sites, tv show links and so on. Forums, youtube and so on will be safe; people just want you to believe they aren't and hope you haven't read the bill for yourself.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".

The Founding Fathers obviously viewed piracy as theft. Despite the fact that many of them were themselves pirates.

(Yes, I know I'm mixing versions of piracy here, but it's done for effect, not out of ignorance)

YAY WE WO-

*Read this*

SON OF A BITCH.

We pirate their shit, they pirate our shit and we all get along. Right?

Oh shit I forgot about money well since it's not real lets just give everybody high numbers that'll work just like money.

Wait rich people won't like that? Aww fucking hell back to square one...

I shall sing you the song of my people

Seriously, it makes me feel bad about being american. When I visit the UK i'm going to wear a sign that says "I'm not your typical asshole American."

Good lord, time to move to England.

I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.

Micalas:

SirBryghtside:
I'm either deeply miunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.

Look at our foreign policy. We're all about physically stomping on soverignty so why not do it in a less visible way online?

It doesn't even matter whose sovereignty we stomp on. Look at our domestic policy.

America needs to do some nation building alright. On America.

EvilChameleon:

Or up here in Canada! We are always welcoming refugees!

EvilChameleon:

Don't move here, you'll just get extradited back by our idiot government.

The Cool Kid:

Hardcore_gamer:

Nope it won't destroy anything that isn't infringing on copyright. The Bill is so tightly worded that it really can only be used against torrent sites, tv show links and so on. Forums, youtube and so on will be safe; people just want you to believe they aren't and hope you haven't read the bill for yourself.

Nope. Any site that allows people to post freely can be accused under SOPA, as long as someone in there posts anything. Under DMCA people hosting that content have to act to remove it as soon as they are notified of such; under SOPA they are commiting a felony if they fail to police the site to stop it from happening, which is unfeasible on sites that have millions of users like Facebook and YouTube.

And the main danger is that a claimant doesn't need to bring up any proof that the infringing content is indeed damaging their sales; an overzealous music executive could shut down the Escapist over the intro and outro songs of the earlier Zero Punctiation episodes, and it's more likely than not that they eventually will, due to how copyright laws in the US work.

The only result of this bill will be a massive exodus of any technology-based company from the Us to escape from it, and as that's pretty much the only sector of the US economy that's still growing that will pretty much throw the country under the bus. Especially now that there's already a different crisis going on with the US as one of its lynchpins.

EvilChameleon:

Feel free, just be sure to check the accent in at the gate, otherwise our crazies will treat you like Joe Arpaio treats mexicans

Apparently English people have a problem with America... can't imagine why

OT:

FUUUUUUU

I seriously thought that this was over and done with, what is it with American politics where they insist on things that set them back years at a time?

EvilChameleon:

Good luck with that - US law now extends to our sovereign shores. Check the poor 'criminal' student.

*sigh*

Well, I didn't expect the shelf time to be this short. Way to be schizo, Congress.
I do believe Lincoln said something about "a house divided..."

At any rate, I knew SOPA was far from over. I didn't partake in any "the bill's dead, w00t!" celebrations yesterday. But I'm certainly looking forward to the day I can. In the meantime, just don't let it out of your sight.

SOPA "protected American jobs" they say. Is Google not an American company. Is FaceBook not an American company. how many time have you posted some type of copyrighted content or link to copyrighted content to a forum or FaceBook

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here