George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film

George Lucas is sick of hearing complaints from the Star Wars fanbase, so he's leaving big-budget filmmaking for smaller projects.

In a recent New York Times interview regarding his upcoming film Red Tails and the difficulties in creating the World War II biopic, filmmaker George Lucas stated he's stepping back and pull the final curtain on his career. Instead of producing any more multi-million dollar blockbusters, Lucas hopes to devote his time to making smaller, more artsy and personal films like his mentor, friend and fellow filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola.

"I'm retiring," Lucas stated in the the interview. "I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff."

This may also mean that Lucas will finally be done with creating any more adventures (good or bad) in Star Wars' far, far away galaxy, although Lucas sort of attributes this to the increasing backlash he's received from the Star Wars fan base over the 1997's special edition release of the original trilogy and every subsequent re-edit since. In explaining why, Lucas likened the negative response to the kind of demands he used to hear from major film studios, who in the past have forcibly re-edited his earlier films like THX 1138. Lucas feels his ability to re-imagine the Star Wars films into what he originally wanted them to be is being restricted by the criticism he's heard over the Star Wars films.

"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

While it remains to be seen if Lucas' retirement sticks, his next film, Red Tails opens this Friday, and is a historical drama about the all-black fighter squadron known as the Tuskegee Airmen, who fought in the second World War.

Source: New York Times

You made your universe, now live with it!
Oh right, it wasn't good enough for you.
I feel as if a million fanboys suddenly cried out in joy

The thing George Lucas never really appreciated was that after he released the Star Wars to the public, it wasn't just a part of his life anymore, it became a part of OUR lives. And as the obscene amounts of money he made off the original Trilogy showed, WE liked it just fine. So when you start going back and altering/ruining with other people's memories for your own selfish reasons, you shouldn't be surprised that we got A LITTLE UPSET ABOUT IT!

So what you're telling me George, is when you made starwars all those many years ago, you intended for Greedo to shoot first in A New Hope and for Vader to yell at the climax of Return of the Jedi? Those things weren't restricted by the technology of that time so you could have put them in. Of course this could mean that this means those weren't part of your 'original plan' and instead you do just like mucking around with the films.

Hallelujah! The Galaxy is saved! The FRANCHISE is saved from any further desecration at the hands of this man.

Does this mean he will "allow" the release of the original untainted films onto DVD/Blu-Ray or will he refuse to do so out of hatefulness?

Strange I almost pity him...
On second thoughts, no I dont.

He should totally make a low budget sequel & prequel for THX 1138.

Perhaps he's realised just how hypocritical he's been after his 1988 address to Congress denouncing the alteration of films.
:|

To illustrate my point to him in a way I feel appropriate I would need hurl my original trilogy tapes at him so hard that the plastic would break.

Well no one is going to miss him on the Star Wars front, I can practically guarantee that. The guy was a sellout with the franchise before even the first "trilogy" was finished. Then the mediocre Ep.1 came out, killed off its only awesome character, and went on sucking with 2 and 3.

Then there is the Star Wars animated thing going on now... which gravitates between alright and groan-worthy. I also remember hearing something about Darth Maul (said awesome character) being brought back (which I can't really see as a positive despite my favor of him). Also, fate of the chosen one of the force was to essentially babysit individual manifestations of the "dark" and "light" side because Daddy Force was getting tired of their bickering.

Oh, also Ep 1 in 3D, because the movie was totally shot for it, and the whole adding in the "NOOOOOOOOO" to Return of the Jedi part, that too.

"Made the way you originally envisioned it"

Bullshit, I read the original script, it might as well have been a different movie entirely.

Who the hell cares that Lucas altered his films? Is he not entitled to create his stories as he wishes? Further, his edits are so minor that they're barely noticeable at all, and any person who hasn't seen the unaltered versions wouldn't think any less of the altered versions. I really don't see why Lucas is so hated despite everything he has accomplished.

Nicolaus99:
Does this mean he will "allow" the release of the original untainted films onto DVD/Blu-Ray or will he refuse to do so out of hatefulness?

Do you think Lucas realizes how much goodwill he could regain from Star Wars fans by doing that? I know I'd like him a lot better.

Jeez it took him this look to get the hint that people hated all the remake and the alteration to his film?
I guess this mean there won't be plans for the Red Tail trilogy after all!

"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Not the best logic ever...
We think you're a terrible person, George, because you made more bad films. Clearly everyone was on board with what you were doing only until you started to rape Harrison Ford in public.

Nasrin:

We think you're a terrible person, George, because you made more bad films. Clearly everyone was on board with what you were doing only until you started to rape Harrison Ford in public.

The problem now is that people see a George Lucas movie and label it 'bad' just because its the bandwagony thing to do.
Seriously, How many here saw the trailer for Red Tails, said: looks awesome! Then saw/heard that its made by Lucas and thought: Oh, it will suck because Star Wars.

sunburst:

Nicolaus99:

Do you think Lucas realizes how much goodwill he could regain from Star Wars fans by doing that? I know I'd like him a lot better.

I don't think it is possible to do so anymore. The original film was destroyed in the process of remastering it (some people claimed Lucas maliciously destroyed it, but it was actually just an unavoidable side effect of the remastering process) so the only truly versions that remain are tapes and secondary recordings of the film, which are a major drop in quality.

The galaxy's reaction:

You know who is representative of who here.

He can't compare dedicated fanbase to pushy publishers who are purely interested in mass appeal to milking most from their products at cost of artistic integrity. If anyone is guilty of compromise for money grubbing it is Lucas himself with his shameless milking from merchandise to pointless spinoffs. e turned to the dark side of force film.

Only unlike Vader he doesn't seem to have realised how wrong he has been.

No one ever said Lucas is a terrible person! Only that he is a terrible director...

Sojoez:

Nasrin:

The problem now is that people see a George Lucas movie and label it 'bad' just because its the bandwagony thing to do.
Seriously, How many here saw the trailer for Red Tails, said: looks awesome! Then saw/heard that its made by Lucas and thought: Oh, it will suck because Star Wars.

I mean, to be fair it takes making a lot of shit films before the guy that gave you Han Solo turns into a schmuck. People expect his films to be bad because he's proven that over time.

For example, seen any M. Night Shamylanasfakjhasfn movies lately? Probably not, although his trailers often look intriguing.

Why do I think he's going to become the film world's Brett Favre? If he goes and makes, say, a Terminator film, then decides to make the next Star Trek movie, the metaphor will be painfully accurate.

Samus Aaron:
Who the hell cares that Lucas altered his films? Is he not entitled to create his stories as he wishes? Further, his edits are so minor that they're barely noticeable at all, and any person who hasn't seen the unaltered versions wouldn't think any less of the altered versions.

Not sure if serious...

If you truely don't understand why the Special Editions are so offensive, then you don't understand Star Wars at all.

At the end of the day people wouldn't have a problem with Lucas editing the films if he actually released the orginal theatrical cuts along side his shitty versions.

I really don't see why Lucas is so hated despite everything he has accomplished.

Let's not forget either that everything that was good about Star Wars came from other people besides George Lucas.

Lucas, I love you but this is good news. Take care now.

Nasrin:
*snip*

When people expect a movie to be bad they will look at every little bit to criticize and often overlook the good stuff. I guess thats how we humans are though. It happens with a lot of stuff. I watched the Crystal Skull again a few weeks ago. Sure it wasn't a good movie storywise and Shia isn't the best actor ever (neither the worst) but it looked good. Most conversations where ok and I really liked that the way Indiana's son was written. (i.e the lust for adventure)

Hell, I've even seen an Uwe Boll movie that was good.

Hey buddy, if you want people to stop complaining about how badly you're screwing up your films why don't you do something easy like RELEASING THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS.

Stupid jackass.

He still can't get it through his thick flanneled skull: We don't hate HIM, we hate his meddling with a work that the world loved, and completely eliminating character development in one fraction of a second with a shitty edit.

Everyone would shut their mouths if he released the original unedited versions, but he's so dense he's gotten vindictive:
"What ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody will remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30-40 years."
-George Lucas, "An Epanded Universe"
American Cinematographer Magazine, Feb 1997

He blames the fans for not wanting to make movies when he had plenty of time to make the dozen other original ideas he had put on the shelf to instead whore out star wars for merchandising since the 70's.

But then he's always been a douchebag. He fired an editor for one of the original films because the guy thought lucas' "shot-reverse-shot" scenes of characters merely walking and sitting down were too uninteresting and lazy. The only reason the original trilogy looked so good was because he had people there to challenge his stupid ideas. He actually wanted Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade to take place in a HAUNTED CASTLE! If you look at the footage behind the scenes of Indy 4, everyone points to George for the bad ideas, such as space ships and aliens... the original title was going to be "Indiana Jones And The Men From Mars". So George can't create movies for shit, but he has good ideas if others can direct them

Akalabeth:
Hey buddy, if you want people to stop complaining about how badly you're screwing up your films why don't you do something easy like RELEASING THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS.

Stupid jackass.

But they don't fit my original vision that I keep changing.

"Sick of hearing people complain".

Well funnily enough, I'm sick of him adding nothing but shit to a beloved saga.

Now for the corporate fat cats to really run Star Wars into the ground!

You'll all be running to Lucas, begging him to return and save us all, just mark my words escapist!

ACman:

Akalabeth:

Stupid jackass.

But they don't fit my original vision that I keep changing.

You know I actually have a copy of the original versions, they're on VHS tapes. That's how long it's been.

InvisibleMan:
No one ever said Lucas is a terrible person! Only that he is a terrible director...

No kidding; especially when he made changes to Empire and Jedi which he didn't write OR direct. I still don't know why Lucas insisted on directing and writing the prequels when he admitted that he wasn't very good at either.

I think I speak for everyone with taste when I say: Good.

its good to finally see the star wars movies being shelved, at least for a few years.

We all know he will be back, or someone will come and take his place at the head of the star wars milking train, its a too popular franchise to leave alone. I hate to say it but there's still milk in this cash cow, look at all the publicity its still getting.

you know all this talk makes me want to watch the originals again, unfortunately i cant as i dont own them still or a working vhs player.

Samus Aaron:
Who the hell cares that Lucas altered his films? Is he not entitled to create his stories as he wishes? Further, his edits are so minor that they're barely noticeable at all, and any person who hasn't seen the unaltered versions wouldn't think any less of the altered versions. I really don't see why Lucas is so hated despite everything he has accomplished.

I'll let George Lucas answer you.

Remember, Lucas isn't even the screenwriter nor director for two of "his" films.

And then thousands of fanboys who have an overdeveloped sense of identity in other people's work literally ripped the artist out of his artwork with there complaining. Congratulations internet you whined so hard you made an artist give up. You sad sacks can go and be happy in your notions of purity over a series of films that you in no way contributed and yet are so central to your life that you still bitch about them after decades. Ah but why do I even bother clearly bitching louder makes you more important and I'm sure I'll hear plenty of that in response to this post.

On a less deeply cynical and blind rage filled note, in an alternate universe somewhere where people support what George Lucas did with the movie the internet is weeping right now.

There is a difference between when the studios were telling you things you shouldn't do and when the fans were telling you there were things you shouldn't do, Mr. Lucas. That difference is you.

In 81, you adopted your first kid. By the time she had turned five, your filmic sensibilities had devolved to that of your children. This is normal for parents. You start seeing the world through your kids eyes, start looking for things that they think are cool, etc. You kind of have to, because otherwise it's a hell of a lot harder to be a decent parent.

And so while you look at the Star Wars films you made before you had kids and may find them not melodramatic enough, not clear enough in the moral message, etc, those were things that actually made them better movies for everybody who *wasn't* a kid.

edit: "night Wackin" is my captcha? Really?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here