George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Sojoez:

Nasrin:
"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Not the best logic ever...
We think you're a terrible person, George, because you made more bad films. Clearly everyone was on board with what you were doing only until you started to rape Harrison Ford in public.

The problem now is that people see a George Lucas movie and label it 'bad' just because its the bandwagony thing to do.
Seriously, How many here saw the trailer for Red Tails, said: looks awesome! Then saw/heard that its made by Lucas and thought: Oh, it will suck because Star Wars.

Which is a perfectly valid response.

If I see a beautiful looking trailer with explosions and awesome stuff happening I might think "Hey, looks like a neat blockbuster type film, might be a bit mindless but ya never know, could be worth a look" and then I see MICHAEL BAY plastered at the end I'll laugh and never see it.

I hate Michael Bay as a director, he's terrible. I dislike Lucas as a director in everything he does, seriously all the stupid shit he proposed even for the original trilogy...bleh. So when I see his name I know that there's a huge chance of that film being absolutely terrible.

On the flipside there are directors who I like enough to give trailers a second look or maybe check more reviews, because they've impressed me in the past. Having a reaction to a name like that is fine and completely logical. Lucas is a terrible director, I don't want to see his films.

WMDogma:

"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Now, give the rights to someone who will use them properly. If you were that upset about it, you'd have stopped after the Fandom Menace.

Strazdas:
So am i the only one feeling sorry for the guy getting all this uncalled hate over the years?

I'd feel worse if I considered it in the least bit uncalled for.

The thing is, I'm not really a big Star Wars fan, I enjoy it for what it is but I don't have the same connection to the series that a lot of folks my age do.

The prequels are an awful, plot hole riddled mess of poor storytelling and incompetent writing. If that were his only "crime" I'd probably be less judgmental.

My issue with Lucas stems from the fact that he took three, decent and enjoyable films and made them provably worse.

About 15 years too late, if you ask me. I do sort of feel bad for the guy, but he did bring this on himself completely. The prequels (and the re-releases of the old films) are so atrocious thanks only to the fact that he's the guy who wrote, directed and basically managed every single aspect of the new films. Now correct me if I'm wrong, he neither wrote nor directed the sequels.

When your direction is sitting on your ass all day using the most basic 2 camera setup in front of a blue screen, you're asking for trouble. When you can't write anything that isn't inconsistent and any good dialogue, you're asking for trouble.

Now he's taking all the critisism at heart? NOW?

And even worse, he's playing the victim? The struggling artist you isn't allowed to mangle create in peace?

... George please, go do something valiable with your time and your billions of dollars; Go get a haircut or something.

Let's not just look at all his negatives - whilst i'm glad to see him go there were notable changes to the originals that deserved credit. The hologram of the Emperor originally looked terrible. Like, graphically terrible and not 'EVIL!' terrible. He changed that, and for that I congratulate him.. some graphical (SOME) reworking was needed and appreciated.

But for the most part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbQEEOPsb8

WMDogma:

Georgie, Georgie, Georgie...
It's not you don't deserve all this hate. You were naughty, naughty boy, ain't that right ? :)

(And don't you try to give me "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" for an answer. You know what i'm talking about.)

I really, honestly don't have any personal attachments to the old Star Wars films. The amount of people calling this simple, almost daft, man, a visionary is astounding. Name one thing this sad excuse of a director does that's better or at least as good as some of the other directors out there. Dialogue? Coherency? Interesting shots? Emotional weight? I dare you. One thing this guy does better than anyone else. Hell, one thing that isn't mediocre.

Now, to be a little fair, I haven't seen his movies not concerning Star Wars, but with the prequels, he had full control over the films. Everything in those films is his fault. The prequels are an example of some of the worst writing and directing in a blockbuster movie I have ever seen.

almostgold:
I've never really understood the rage about him re-releasing the movies with extra content. Yes, the newer version are always absolute shit, but so what? You can still watch the originals. Yes, its a shameless cash grab, but so what? Some people obviously still want to go see them, who am I to tell them not to?

I literally cannot think of a single way in which him releasing shittier versions of movies I liked affects me. I have no reason to get mad.

It's quite the contrary, and sort of the problem. The only way for you to see the actual original films is in VHS or LaserDisk. They haven't been ported to any of the newer formats.

And, if any of the other commenters are saying the truth, apparently the original versions of the movies are basically destroyed?

MrPeanut:
And this, is why idiotic fanboys should be hated.

Way to show off your intellect there.

keideki:
Anyone else think that Lucas sounds like an angry child on the playground? FINE IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY TOYS I WILL TAKE THEM AND GO HOME..... kinda like that?

He does. It's consistent with his simple-minded way of directing/writing films.

Casual Shinji:

... George please, go do something valiable with your time and your billions of dollars; Go get a haircut or something.

That's actually the nastiest line in the whole thread. Well done, Sir.

Red Tails is getting slammed by the critics.

Did...did he just ragequit? Oh well. I'm sure someone will eventually be able to make more films in the series if people REALLY want it...or it's fine the way it is as well. Maybe if he put some of that "smaller budget" ideas into a Star Wars movie we might get something as awesome as the original film, which was pretty low budget compared to the later ones, from what I understand.

Words cannot describe how happy this announcement makes me. Now if we can just track down the original prints to the first trilogy (to hide in an alteration-proof bunker) and wipe the prequels from cultural memory, our victory shall be complete...

90sgamer:
It is hilarious--and sad-- that this is probably the best thing that will ever happen to Star Wars. Today I learned that the guy behind the curtain wasn't a master craftsman, but an accidental hero.

he is a good crafsmen if you put him on a tight leash(budget wise)
otherwise he thinks all his ideas are golden rather then sitting down and thinking which ones he has to put in and will further the story.

Nicolaus99:
Hallelujah! The Galaxy is saved! The FRANCHISE is saved from any further desecration at the hands of this man.

Does this mean he will "allow" the release of the original untainted films onto DVD/Blu-Ray or will he refuse to do so out of hatefulness?

so its saved from desecration from the very person who thought of the films?

your logic is wrong.

Sojoez:

Nasrin:
*snip*

When people expect a movie to be bad they will look at every little bit to criticize and often overlook the good stuff. I guess thats how we humans are though. It happens with a lot of stuff. I watched the Crystal Skull again a few weeks ago. Sure it wasn't a good movie storywise and Shia isn't the best actor ever (neither the worst) but it looked good. Most conversations where ok and I really liked that the way Indiana's son was written. (i.e the lust for adventure)

Hell, I've even seen an Uwe Boll movie that was good.

Praise be Khorne! Someone with some sense on this thread, instead of just Nostilga blindness.

...Not sure how I should feel about this... meh, I wish him the best of luck... and don't screw this one up.

ok is like 99% of people on this thred blinded by Nostilga?

As someone who recently had a Star Wars Blue-ray marathon, I can say the prequels are better then the orginals.

No, no, no Nostilga blindnes. I think the story for the orginals is a wee bit been done before anf mostly is a Fantesy story in space, whereas the preguels show off the more sci-fi side of Star Wars, strange technologies, werid and wonderful, if not deadly, planets and lifeforms, as well showing off how the empire was formed, with a evil ruler which was a clever politcal operator, instead of the in Return of the jedi just a evil bad guy.

stop letting Nostilga blind you people sheesh, no wonder Lucas quit if this is the respecet the fanbase gives him.

I'm noticing that no one argues that the changes in the new editions were good; just that they didn't effect the movie or were bad for it. Even if you take the stance that the new edition changes didn't effect the film, then why did they need to be put in? A re-release that doesn't add anything substantial is useless unless you just want another product on the shelves to make money.

The constant tinkering with the Star Wars universe shows Lucas's lack of professionalism. A good writer/director/anything involving a creative process has to know when to set a piece aside.

Also, the statement that the movies were created by Lucas so he can do anything he wants with them is only valid to a point. He created them for a PUBLIC audience so the public has the right to express their opinion in the matter. You are within your creative rights to combine your wardrobe however you see fit. However, you can't complain when you step out into public because your poor choices make you look like an idiot.

Dear George Lucas, we're sorry you're a terrible director, but you keep touching our childhood in uncomfortable places. Enjoy retirement, don't come back.

Classic Narcissism right there. What more can I say?

Bout damn time. I was ok with the prequels, but....Return of the Jedi is ruined for me now. The atrocious Jabba's palace sequence, NOOOOOOOOO, ghostly Anakin's new look...

Christ, even the ending song was changed in the Blu Ray version. I loved that song. >.<

Ah, you see? Together we can make a difference! I'd get all emotional now but I don't care enough :)

Oh boo-hoo George. Half the world tells you how terrible your writing is, and your response is to quit? Do you mean to say you'll never give us pearls like this again:

"Love won't save you, Padme, only my new powers can."

or 30-minute lightsaber battles, or Jar-Jar Binks?

Shave your head and take a writing course incognito. Improve yourself. Come back with a new saga about something else. (NOT Willow) Go back to Coppola and learn how to direct all over again, because it obviously didn't take the 1st time.

I have high hopes for Red Tails. I do. Despite all the current lingo (audiences do NOT need that to relate to characters in a period film, by the way) I see shoehorned into the trailer, there's (slim) a chance it won't be an awful movie. It doesn't look like Band of Brothers with airplanes, but it might be decent.

Don't prove me wrong, George.

While I hate what he has been doing with the re-edits, I respect him for what he once was. If only he had moved on from Starwars after the horrible prequels to make different movies...

what makes a talented dabbler different from a true master of their artform? both will never be happy with what they have created it will never be 100% perfect. the master will accept that while the dabbler keeps adding and adding and adding until the result is a mess.

that said im still pissed return of the jedi had mini me wookies instead of actual wookies purely for merchandising

NOOOOOOOOOOOOObody will miss him.

Twilight_guy:
And then thousands of fanboys who have an overdeveloped sense of identity in other people's work literally ripped the artist out of his artwork with there complaining. Congratulations internet you whined so hard you made an artist give up. You sad sacks can go and be happy in your notions of purity over a series of films that you in no way contributed and yet are so central to your life that you still bitch about them after decades. Ah but why do I even bother clearly bitching louder makes you more important and I'm sure I'll hear plenty of that in response to this post.

On a less deeply cynical and blind rage filled note, in an alternate universe somewhere where people support what George Lucas did with the movie the internet is weeping right now.

Yeah, it's not like he kept remaking and "remastering" everything that was once great to cash in on more money, or made the second trilogy kid-friendly to cash in on the new audience, or that he's a hypocrite.

It's all the Internet's fault.

Orks da best:
ok is like 99% of people on this thred blinded by Nostilga?

As someone who recently had a Star Wars Blue-ray marathon, I can say the prequels are better then the orginals.

No, no, no Nostilga blindnes. I think the story for the orginals is a wee bit been done before anf mostly is a Fantesy story in space, whereas the preguels show off the more sci-fi side of Star Wars, strange technologies, werid and wonderful, if not deadly, planets and lifeforms, as well showing off how the empire was formed, with a evil ruler which was a clever politcal operator, instead of the in Return of the jedi just a evil bad guy.

stop letting Nostilga blind you people sheesh, no wonder Lucas quit if this is the respecet the fanbase gives him.

I was 7 when the first of the PREQUELS came out. There is no nostalgia in me, I didn't see any of the movies until 2009 when I finally got all of them to watch in one go.

And stop using words that you can't even spell. Preguel, nostilga, fantesy... it hurts my eyes.

The prequels were definitely not as good as the original trilogy.

But for the fandom to bitch so loudly that Lucas decided to quit? Come on guys...

He's made some bad decisions true. But there would be no Star Wars AT ALL without him.

I hope to Christ that the brony community doesn't turn out like this years down the road...

Woodsey:

Nasrin:

Not the best logic ever...
We think you're a terrible person, George, because you made more bad films. Clearly everyone was on board with what you were doing only until you started to rape Harrison Ford in public.

I'll assume you're just using the phrase "terrible person" because its what he used; actually using that as a way to describe him is just silly.

OT: He's one of those people who re-reads or re-watches their own work and constantly finds things that niggle at them. If you can't relate to that you're either apathetic towards everything you've ever produced beyond belief, or you're a liar.

Its all tinkering at most - the biggest thing (Greedo shooting first) really doesn't affect proceedings anywhere near as much as people claim.

I used those words because they were the exact words taken from the article.

I paint as well as doing other things, and yes while you're making a piece you want to tinker with it... when you sign your name to it and release it, it's got a life of it's own at that point. I've never once had the urge to start painting on top of something I finished decades prior.

This is just my personal experience and the way that I relate to art, though. Maybe there are people that feel differently.

Pandaman1911:
It's his property and his alone, and he can do whatever he wants with it, and he doesn't need approval from his fans to do what he wants with his intellectual property.

I call shenanigans.

No one person owns culture. Culture is owned by the entire populace.

Copyright exists to ensure a creator is able to make a return on their investment in the creation. It does not exist to give the creator eternal, unending, unilateral control over their individual contribution to the cultural gestalt. Copyright being held by unaging, undying corporations, existing for ninety years after death, are aberrations of the intent of copyright. It was never meant to be unending; it was never intended to lock creations away from the public indefinitely.

This is what Disney has done to us; it's created a generation of people (fortunately not everyone of that generation holds this belief) that feel no ownership at all of their own culture.

An idea is not something you can own; a story cannot be caged once told.

Star Wars belongs to all of us (George Lucas has been well compensated for his contribution), and we are well in our rights to be upset with what the law has allowed George Lucas to do to it.

sunburst:

Nicolaus99:
Does this mean he will "allow" the release of the original untainted films onto DVD/Blu-Ray or will he refuse to do so out of hatefulness?

Do you think Lucas realizes how much goodwill he could regain from Star Wars fans by doing that? I know I'd like him a lot better.

Except he destroyed the negatives more than ten years ago?

never was one to hate on George
still respect and admire the work he's done

Cousin_IT:
He should totally make a low budget sequel & prequel for THX 1138.

Yes indeed he should.

so can someone with actual skill try to remake the star wars prequel?

for all you bastard over critical fanboys....thanks alot, now we'll never get a sequel trilogy.

(and this is coming from the guy who can bitch about every frame in the Movie Avatar.)

and its a little ironic because ive seen in recent years a bit more appreciation for the prequels.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here