Rumor Mill: Microsoft Ditching MS Points

Pages 1 2 NEXT

According to an unidentified source, Microsoft is looking to phase out its virtual currency system by the end of 2012.

Inside Mobile Apps claims Microsoft will be dropping its arbitrary points system in favor of a currency-based system. If true, this would affect the Windows Phone, the Zune Marketplace and Xbox Live.

The move would unify Microsoft's various price listings which are currently all over the place. XBLA content is bought with MS points, but prices for digital versions of full retail games are listed in dollars. Similar shenanigans occur in the Windows Phone marketplace; the app prices are listed in dollars, but users can make in-app purchases with MS points.

The change would also answer the common criticism that the points system is, some say deliberately, misleading. Currently, in the states, one dollar equates into about 80 MSP rather than 100, as many customers assume.

Microsoft is currently selling a form of currency as a product which presents all kinds of problems when it comes to international launches. Recently, the so-bad-it's-still-bad survival horror game Amy was delayed for a week when differing exchange rates produced a price disparity between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. According to Inside Mobile App's source, once the point system is gone, all transactions will be based on the region of the purchasing account, hopefully producing more reasonable prices for European and Australian customers.

Thus far, Microsoft's only comment is that it "doesn't comment on rumours or speculation," though we'll keep you updated should they confirm, deny or announce anything.

Source: Inside Mobile Apps

So, they're switching MSP for actual currency? probably to get the most cash out of XBLA prices in Australia, and other places they overprice games.

Makes sense, and is long overdue. European/Australian users have been getting screwed for far too long.

oh thank god I hate the MS point system

Fawxy:
Makes sense, and is long overdue. European/Australian users have been getting screwed for far too long.

I doubt they'll stop screwing anybody.

If this does happen, it will be very interesting to see what happens to the current MSP that people have on their accounts.
I have <100 or so, so I wouldn't really care if they phased out my points without giving me my money back, but what about people who have thousands of points on their accounts?
Converting these back to dollary-doos will be a clusterfuck that I would love to see.

Zachary Amaranth:

Fawxy:

I doubt they'll stop screwing anybody.

Indeed. This is still Microsoft, after all.

This would be a HUGE mistake if they do this.

This kind of surprises me. I've always thought that the entire reason they used the MS point system isn't because of the exchange rates, but instead because packaging the points like that always forces you to buy more than you need.

Hrm.

Catalyst6:
This kind of surprises me. I've always thought that the entire reason they used the MS point system isn't because of the exchange rates, but instead because packaging the points like that always forces you to buy more than you need.

Hrm.

Yeah this is exactly why I hope this rumors true. I've got like 300 ms points that have been sitting in my account for years that I just can't find anything worth spending them on.

So, am I still going to be able to buy the cards from Gamestop. I don't like charging to my parents' credit card.
Also, are they going to convert all exsisting points people already own, because I've been planning on stocking up on points for some upcoming Skyrim DLC.

If this is true then I am delighted. I hate the point system. I am so happy Nintendo switched their system to say actual prices on the 3DS shop. It makes me aware of how much games actually costs so I can determine if they are worth it.

I never understood the whole alternate currency thing. All it does it make purchases inconvenient. People will always buy more stuff if it's convenient to.

I never liked the MS points system to begin with. I mean, you need to buy things on XBLM using digital transfer methods to exchange currency so having points is pointless.

No pun intended.

EvilChameleon:
This would be a HUGE mistake if they do this.

Why? The exchange rate between nations was broken. The way points work make it exploitable as people can sell points below the going value through stealing people's information. Also it makes the transfer of money more direct and simpler.

Rumors....

Yeah, they be worth reportin on now a days!

Australia should (deservingly, is that a word?) be paying close to twice what Americans pay... and if they abolish the points system, they will probably go the way of Sony, and charge a minimum of $5 for every minimal transaction. So if it costs 1 dollar, you have to pay 5, your account will be credited, but they won't take your money for anything less than a dollar.

As long as they don't fuck up and go down, and refuse to take my money like PSN is/has/will be doing, then I'm fine with them staying the same, or changing. Fuck PSN. I haven't been able to buy anything from them for a week now. Bastards.

This is surprising not evil. Seriously Microsoft Points are evil, they don't correspond to their relative relative cost, so it's hard to work out if 1200 points is a lot or not. They are sold in 1500 and 3000 points (at least in Australia) but games and dlc are usually 800, 1200 or 1600 so you usually are left over with extra useless points, that encourage you get more points if you want dlc. There's no bulk bonus or reduced price, dropping $80 dollars will get you 4 times the amount of $20. You can't refund them either.

triggrhappy94:
So, am I still going to be able to buy the cards from Gamestop. I don't like charging to my parents' credit card.
Also, are they going to convert all exsisting points people already own, because I've been planning on stocking up on points for some upcoming Skyrim DLC.

I'm sure they will have a wallet system similar to what the PSN and Steam do. They will still benefit from selling gift cards to charge people's wallets.

This would be a rather big piece of news if this happened. I wouldn't mind at all if the started doing what the PlayStation Store is currently doing, which is just using regular currency.

Are they going to fix it so I don't have to buy Ģ5 worth of credit to get something at Ģ1? cause even Sony are still doing that if the product is under Ģ5.

Sober Thal:
Australia should (deservingly, is that a word?) be paying close to twice what Americans pay...

Wut? Why does Australia deserve to pay twice as much as Americans?

Also, if anybody actually believes that Australia will come out of this paying less than they already have been, I think they'll find they they're sorely mistaken. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up paying more.

Just as long as I can still buy cards in store, rather than using a credit card. Because if I need to use a credit card to buy stuff then I guess I'll be missing out on a whole lot of DLC. :/

Grey Carter:

According to an unidentified source, Microsoft is looking to phase out its virtual currency system by the end of 2012.

The change would also answer the common criticism that the points system is, some say deliberately, misleading. Currently, in the states, one dollar equates into about 80 MSP rather than 100, as many customers assume.

Source: Inside Mobile Apps

What? No one wants to know how much 100 points is worth, as that's useless.

1600 points/4 = 400 points
20$/4 = 5$

The pricing is pretty transparent in the US. It's everywhere else that it's annoying to get the number of points that you get to match what you actually want to buy.

Don't care. Xbox LIVE is still the biggest scam of this generation.

JayElleBee:
Just as long as I can still buy cards in store, rather than using a credit card. Because if I need to use a credit card to buy stuff then I guess I'll be missing out on a whole lot of DLC. :/

Exactly, I'm not buying prepaid cards with an activation fee just to buy stuff on Live, no way.

The PSN store has always been streets ahead of XBL marketplace in many ways, not least the real currency pricing. I think it would be a step forward in MS follows suit, though I doubt Nintendo would ever follow suit.

deathninja:
The PSN store has always been streets ahead of XBL marketplace in many ways, not least the real currency pricing. I think it would be a step forward in MS follows suit, though I doubt Nintendo would ever follow suit.

Not being to see prices or download size on the web is streets ahead?

If Microsoft is really wanting to step up it's game into things like movie rentals or other forms of entertainment then they kind of need to drop the whole points system. I've considered buying videos before instead of paying for cable, but it's just too much of a pain in the butt to covert Microsoft points into money to figure out if the price is good or bad.

I noticed that the Vudu app doesn't even bother with Mircosoft points but lists the price in actual dollars it would cost to rent a movie.

This seems okay to me, and sensible, except for one major question I want answered. Does this mean that users will need to use their actual debit or credit card to buy things through XBLA if this happens? Because I flat out refuse to have my debit card details attached to my XBL account, and always buy points in shops using cash to avoid it. Basically, I don't trust Microsoft's security, since anyone could hack in no matter how good their security is. I don't expect it to happen, but then who expected it with Sony a while ago? And I enjoy browsing the Marketplace and buying new content and games on there, so I don't want to have to sacrifice that purely for the sake of keeping my financial information safe from potential hackers. If Microsoft can answer me that then great, otherwise I'm taking this news with the wary concern it may well deserve.

If this means, that MS starts using a card system like Sony with their PSN cards, or Apple with their iTunes cards i wouldnīt mind. I donīt use my creditcard for transactions like this, so i really "need" those cards. Or maybe MS has something completely different in mind?

Suboptimal:
If this means, that MS starts using a card system like Sony with their PSN cards, or Apple with their iTunes cards i wouldnīt mind. I donīt use my creditcard for transactions like this, so i really "need" those cards. Or maybe MS has something completely different in mind?

Same here, I don't trust credit cards in general so the points are the way i go. as long as i'm able to buy cards in store to up my Live or PSN wallet i'm happy.

Thank Christ. Completely useless.

Just don't "store" your credit card. Individual purchases aren't stored, (that's illegal, at least in the US) So buy things one at a time. That will also help prevent you from over spending.

SL33TBL1ND:
I never understood the whole alternate currency thing. All it does it make purchases inconvenient. People will always buy more stuff if it's convenient to.

It just meant they could grab more money from you.

So why the silly rumor games?

Rumor says the next TES game to be called Skyrim and has dragons!
Rumor says 3DS to get a second analog nub attachment!

Really, why not just come out and say "We are getting rid of Microsoft Points". The unidentified source is no doubt Microsoft themselves. Why the silly game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here