Kingdom Hearts 3D Transforms Into Comic Book

Kingdom Hearts 3D Transforms Into Comic Book

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance will include a "Reality Shift" feature that will let players guide characters through touch-screen comic sequences.

Square Enix is clearly trying to shake things up with Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Last week, it was revealed that the game was going to be help players feel like Superman. Now, it turns out that the game will also feature sequences where the game becomes a touch-screen comic book.

According to Siliconera:

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance switches combat to the touch screen when you trigger a Reality Shift. In the Tokyo Game Show demo, you would do this by pressing A and X at the same time. Trigger a Reality Shift in the Country of the Musketeers and the world changes into a touch screen comic book where Donald, Goofy, and Mickey help you attack Nightmares.

This certainly sounds like an interesting mechanic, but it'll be a little while before Western gamers get a chance to try it out. King Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is due out in Japan on March 29th, but Amazon has its North American release listed for December 31st.

Source: Siliconera

Does the comic come with unspecified DLC?

As much as I want to get this game for the story, some of these new mechanics seem to be just too gimmicky... this being one of them. But hell, whatever. Square-Enix's getting my money.

Hey guys, could you like, make Kingdom Hearts 3?

You know, the KH game that people actually want.

Daystar Clarion:

same here

I want kingdom hearts 3 all this spin off stuff is annoying to me

Daystar Clarion:

They can't until they finish FF13 Versus since not only is the principle team behind the combat assigned to it but also the lead creative director for KH1 and 2. I think there was an interview with him that said he didn't even want to start thinking about three until at least a few months after they finished versus...we see how well that's gone. (sorry no sources, just a memory of two articles that remind me how FF13 has doomed the franchise to hand-held entries for the past few years.)

Which leads me to my next question...wtf happened to FF13 Versus? Last I heard someone had ordered a complete visual design overhaul despite that the game was almost finished.

So when is Kingdom Hearts 3 gonna come out? Nobody wants these stupid handheld games....

KeyMaster45:

Daystar Clarion:

They can't until they finish FF13 Versus since not only is the principle team behind the combat assigned to it but also the lead creative director for KH1 and 2. I think there was an interview with him that said he didn't even want to start thinking about three until at least a few months after they finished versus...we see how well that's gone. (sorry no sources, just a memory of two articles that remind me how FF13 has doomed the franchise to hand-held entries for the past few years.)

Which leads me to my next question...wtf happened to FF13 Versus? Last I heard someone had ordered a complete visual design overhaul despite that the game was almost finished.

They're both fake games. They don't exist. The "trailers" are trailers for the sake of trailers, not of games. Square Enix announced them as bait so people would keep buying their shoddy, B-team made hand-held titles and the 72 upcoming FF13 sequels. You may as well be asking for StarCraft Ghost to come out. Just let it go boys and girls, it's only a figment of your imaginations, just let it go.

Sylveria:
They're both fake games. They don't exist. The "trailers" are trailers for the sake of trailers, not of games. Square Enix announced them as bait so people would keep buying their shoddy, B-team made hand-held titles and the 72 upcoming FF13 sequels. You may as well be asking for StarCraft Ghost to come out. Just let it go boys and girls, it's only a figment of your imaginations, just let it go.

FF13 Versus, maybe, but from the press I've read about KH 3D it's supposed to be the story setup for KH3. Maybe Square finally just gave up on ever releasing Versus. I've no doubt that KH3 will turn up eventually. Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me

Sigh, if America is getting it December this year, Australia wont get to see it until halfway through next year.

December 31st?!?

Man... KH Devs really do hate America, huh?

BTW Where is KH3?

What? December!? Please tell me that's not the actual release date.

Daystar Clarion:

Idk where I found this, but I think it was in a YouTube comment.

"Given the story of Kingdom Hearts was supposed to stand alone, the way Nomura's worked the plot to span other games and at least attempt to make sense of it is truly a remarkable feat of storytelling. It's not his fault he has TWO big companies looking over his shoulder saying "this made money, make another." Instead of copping out and recycling a plot, he tried to make it his own and give us a story actually worth experiencing."

Also, to add to that, it really sounds like the story is coming together into an entirety throughout the span of these spin-off games. These aren't being made just for shits ya know. They're made to explain some plot elements that will be key to the story of the 3rd KH game.

I'm tired of seeing the rants for KH 3. It'll get here when it gets here. But the story isn't complete just yet. Once the story is set, it will come. Get used to it and wait, Interwebs >.>

Aetheora:

Idk where I found this, but I think it was in a YouTube comment.

"Given the story of Kingdom Hearts was supposed to stand alone, the way Nomura's worked the plot to span other games and at least attempt to make sense of it is truly a remarkable feat of storytelling. It's not his fault he has TWO big companies looking over his shoulder saying "this made money, make another." Instead of copping out and recycling a plot, he tried to make it his own and give us a story actually worth experiencing."

Also, to add to that, it really sounds like the story is coming together into an entirety throughout the span of these spin-off games. These aren't being made just for shits ya know. They're made to explain some plot elements that will be key to the story of the 3rd KH game.

I'm tired of seeing the rants for KH 3. It'll get here when it gets here. But the story isn't complete just yet. Once the story is set, it will come. Get used to it and wait, Interwebs >.>

Agreed. These so called "spin-offs" aren't even that - they are all relevant points in the plot and lore of KH. Each answers more questions, and reveals more about the games you've already played. The seemingly simple storyline of KH1 has become sinister and complex, and you gain a greater understanding and different perspective of the characters.

Besides that, they're fantastic games on their own. Each develops new gameplay and learns from the experience of the other. When KH3 rolls around, it will be incredible.

Daystar Clarion:

Didn't you know Square isn't interested in making money? They pass that up at every chance they get lately.

FFVII remake, even if they did they stated they'd change stuff around. Yeah great idea for a classic.

And FFXIII a sequel to one of the worst FFs ever?

Attention, everybody who wants KHIII to be made, instead of all these spin-offs: (Long rant, click spoiler to view)

I entered the thread expecting to be the first person to moan about the lack of a Kingdom hearts 3.
I left both disappointed and perhaps a little bit proud.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will be the only thing I buy a PS3 for, assuming new consoles aren;t out by then and they stay on Sony devices.
All these little sidegame things are just so much meh, as far as I'm concerned.

Also they killed off Xion. Unforgivable.

Daystar Clarion:

This, 7 or so years of this. Yet I know SE is gonna announce 2 more FF games After 13 Versus bullshit gets released.

Battleaxx90:
Attention, everybody who wants KHIII to be made, instead of all these spin-offs: (Long rant, click spoiler to view)

The funny thing the side stories pretty much trolled the udder shit out of the original. Since I could understand KH1 and 2, but the other games they just didn't feel as important or had bad stories.

keideki:
December 31st?!?

Man... KH Devs really do hate America, huh?

BTW Where is KH3?

It's pretty ordinary for Japanese games (especially handhelds) to be released in the US and EU 6 - 9 months after the Japanese date. Just look at Pokemon's track record.
---
At first I just wanted KH3 to be released like everybody else, but now I just want it to end. Even KHI was silly (story - wise) but ever since it's been getting more and more convoluted. I mean, almost every twist in the games since KH:COM has been an identity mix-up. Those are just cheap.

But because I have no dignity, I'm still going to buy DDD. Curse my feeble will.

The long and short of it is they can't start work on KH3 because KH3 uses FFvXIIIs engine. Quoting the relevant parties here

KeyMaster45:

Sylveria:

FF13 Versus, maybe, but from the press I've read about KH 3D it's supposed to be the story setup for KH3. Maybe Square finally just gave up on ever releasing Versus. I've no doubt that KH3 will turn up eventually. Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me

Sylveria:

KeyMaster45:

Daystar Clarion:

Why the hell are you people so bad at looking up information for a damn video game

http://thesilentchief.com/2012/01/18/playable-demo-of-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-in-the-works/
http://thesilentchief.com/2011/09/21/tetsuya-nomura-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-will-be-a-final-fantasy-like-youve-never-seen-before/
http://thesilentchief.com/2011/10/25/final-fantasy-versus-xiiis-time-has-come/
http://thesilentchief.com/2012/01/18/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-update/

So what do we know? 100% of the game world has been implemented, the combat system is fully implemented, they have inserted 70% of the cutscenes (better titled as events really), Nomura knows when the next event for the game is going to be, we'll see the game on hardware and have a playable demo at that event.

Explain to me, if you are at all interested in this game, how do you NOT know this? It's not like it's a closely guarded secret. Though really I have to blame the shoddy ability to report the Escapist had-

You were right at the event and managed to cover every other game there, how the fuck did you miss the 6 minute trailer detailing combat and plot details? Or if you didn't miss it, how did you not think that people would want to know?!-

Regardless, it's my honest prediction we'll see Versus XIII in Japanese by the tail end of the year (September at the earliest) Judging from all the factors.

Detective Conan you guys are not.

EDIT: Lets confirm something here, when a dev says "We'll see a game on hardware" for an event, what it does NOT mean is that all past trailers (like the one posted) are just mock ups, what it means is they are video clips given to be screened as trailers, not run on a console at the event. The next time we see Versus it will be run on a console, NOT a trailer.

To any1 that wants to but cant get the spinoffs but still want to stay current with the story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_hearts
scroll down a bit and it has a big red bar showing the timeline of the game meaning birth via sleep then KH1 etc
you should be able to peice the story together pretty easily and you can always find 10min vidoes of cutscenes on youtube

Battleaxx90:
snip

Definitely. I've been managing to follow every game so far (Except Chain of Memories) and wow, it adds so much to the story of 1 and 2. I am waiting patiently for KH3 because I think it has the potential to be the best in the series. And wow, Birth By Sleep was good. So people shouldn't say all the spin-off ones are terrible. Now, if only they'd release all the Final Mix games in Australia, and fully translated >_>

Its not the spin-offs that annoy me - I actually like them. Im excited for 3D (very exciting after seeing the trailer for it) but what I am pissed about is the fact that they're trying to cover every console in existence... I seriously dont want to get a 3DS! =( I may end up getting it just for this game (obviously I'll make it more worth it by getting other games if I do, but they'll be games I wouldnt have bought a 3DS for)...

SpaceMedarotterX:

Explain to me, if you are at all interested in this game, how do you NOT know this?

Because I quit caring about it quite a long time ago. I've never been a big fan of the FF franchise to begin with so the only reason I was interested in Versus was because I heard it was being done by some of the same people who worked on KH1 and 2, and that it was going to use the same or similar combat system.

You also don't have to act like a raging jerk simply because we were uninformed.

KeyMaster45:

SpaceMedarotterX:

Explain to me, if you are at all interested in this game, how do you NOT know this?

Because I quit caring about it quite a long time ago. I've never been a big fan of the FF franchise to begin with so the only reason I was interested in Versus was because I heard it was being done by some of the same people who worked on KH1 and 2, and that it was going to use the same or similar combat system.

You also don't have to act like a raging jerk simply because we were uninformed.

I'm being a raging jerk because I hate having to explain myself over and over. Not just to the same people but to new people too.

Imagine saying what I just said, now imagine it after having said it thousands of times. I'm not pissed at you, you're just unfortunately in the way of my anger.

Also I'm kind of a prick.

Also in a more polite fashion, it's done by all of the same people who do Kingdom Hearts, and KH3 will (as stated) use the exact same engine.

irequirefood:

Battleaxx90:
snip

Definitely. I've been managing to follow every game so far (Except Chain of Memories) and wow, it adds so much to the story of 1 and 2. I am waiting patiently for KH3 because I think it has the potential to be the best in the series. And wow, Birth By Sleep was good. So people shouldn't say all the spin-off ones are terrible. Now, if only they'd release all the Final Mix games in Australia, and fully translated >_>

This.

Ten thousand years of this.

The sad thing is, however, is that re-releasing Final Mix westside is going to be legally messy. Why? Well, remember the Tarzan stage? Remember how it was never mentioned again in all of the KH games? This is because the guys who own Tarzan don't want him appearing in any more of the games due to legal reasons. If they ever DO re-release KH1FM, they're either going to have to write around the problem or (god forbid) sort out the legal issues.

Other than that little hiccup, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they DID re-release the Final Mixes of KHI, CoM AND II on the PS3 in anticipation for the third game. I can understand if they didn't, although the fandom will probaly find ANOTHER reason to start bitching about how much they hate Squeenix.

Anyways, that's enough of the "what if's" and "should be's". It's time to sit back and remember what's important.

Also...

Did the catchpa just call me a chasubse!? YOU BASTARD! IT'S GENETIC! I CAN'T HELP IT! *sobs*

Battleaxx90:

irequirefood:

Battleaxx90:
snip

This.

Ten thousand years of this.

The sad thing is, however, is that re-releasing Final Mix westside is going to be legally messy. Why? Well, remember the Tarzan stage? Remember how it was never mentioned again in all of the KH games? This is because the guys who own Tarzan don't want him appearing in any more of the games due to legal reasons. If they ever DO re-release KH1FM, they're either going to have to write around the problem or (god forbid) sort out the legal issues.

Other than that little hiccup, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they DID re-release the Final Mixes of KHI, CoM AND II on the PS3 in anticipation for the third game. I can understand if they didn't, although the fandom will probaly find ANOTHER reason to start bitching about how much they hate Squeenix.

Anyways, that's enough of the "what if's" and "should be's". It's time to sit back and remember what's important.

Also...

Did the catchpa just call me a chasubse!? YOU BASTARD! IT'S GENETIC! I CAN'T HELP IT! *sobs*

Okay, I'm going to assume you don't know that there's an english patch for Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix you can go get.

FFXII: International Zodiac Job System also has a patch, And that version is pretty much the definitive FFXII

Battleaxx90:

Except almost all the characters and concepts were taken from either much better games or from Disney. The powers, namely mashing x an increasing number of times, aren't really that innovative. The motifs, light vs dark, soul and soullessness, friendship, etc, aren't new concepts either. Not saying the series is bad, just saying everything about it has been done before and better. And I'm not even a hundred yet.

Kingdom Hearts 3d is continuing the story, it takes place after 2 and is setting the stage for 3 so its likely 3 will be after this one.

TizzytheTormentor:
Kingdom Hearts 3d is continuing the story, it takes place after 2 and is setting the stage for 3 so its likely 3 will be after this one.

Yup, Sora and Riku are taking their Mark of Mastery exam so they can become true Keyblade masters, defeat Darth Vader, then presumably rebuild the Jedi Order after the Empire Saga.

Wait what franchise was I talking about again?

Battleaxx90:

My problem with it all is that all the spin offs come out on the handhelds instead say, a downloadable game on PSN, you know the system that people who played the originals will most likely own. Also there really is such a thing as too much complexity, the Kingdom Hearts series is just becoming too damn incomprehensible in my opinion.

The_Blue_Rider:

Battleaxx90:

My problem with it all is that all the spin offs come out on the handhelds instead say, a downloadable game on PSN, you know the system that people who played the originals will most likely own. Also there really is such a thing as too much complexity, the Kingdom Hearts series is just becoming too damn incomprehensible in my opinion.

This is certainly a thing, the thing is individual games still totally make sense on their own. It's when you try to take all their events together that you wind up needing a flow chart just to keep everything straight. Like how Sora is carrying around 3 hearts at the moment.

Granted we are not QUITE at the level of .Hack's "Read these novels, watch this anime, read this manga, play this game and watch this accompanying anime series, but not all together or things will get confusing. If you want to understand the whole story, also remember these other side mangas telling alternate stories, and the new movies"

I swear Project .Hack// is a test of "How far can we spread all the information in this canon before even the spergiest of spergers go cross eyed"

KeyMaster45:

Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me

http://youtu.be/iEL2grmKSnM

2006 Matey

Vanquishuer:

KeyMaster45:

Also, if you've seen trailers for KH3 it's news to me

http://youtu.be/iEL2grmKSnM

2006 Matey

Looks more like a trailer for Birth by Sleep if you ask me, I don't particularly see anything about it that would lead me to believe it's one for KH3.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here