Kingdoms of Amalur's Combat The "Best" Of Any RPG

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

From honest opinion of the game, it's a better roleplaying and action game than Fable. That's all I'm saying. Atleast Fable 2 and 3. I am interested in the game and the combat doesn't really feel FLUID but it feels like there's a rhythm to it. From the demo, it feel like they tried to be honest. It's more of a "WE'RE TRYING TO DO THIS! -takes a few steps and trips-" Like there's progress there, and it works to an extent but they did not accomplish their goal.

The dialog is not that broad in the demo, the character customization is better than most, the lore is interesting and I love the art style. The actual features in combat and abilities really has me intrigued. Destinies seem like an interesting way to bring in classes and the fact each class has a fast hitting weapon, a heavy hitting weapon and a some what ranged weapon or reach weapon. Obviously, warriors has better hits at close range, rogues are faster and farther in range, and then mages are heavy hitters at range.

The combos are actually a lot better than people here give them credit for. As I said, the game feels like it has a rhythm. Combos require something more than smashing buttons and hope something amazing happens. Many combos require timing and duration. Of course there's only so much you can do with a button for each weapon [two], a dodge button and four abilities, but it feels more rhythmic than fluid to me.

EDIT: I want to add one last thing that I actually like about the game. The camera. I can see it being annoying to many people but TO ME it gives the game a cinematic feel, making the game like an interactive movie [atleast a fun interactive movie. -cough-heavyrain-cough-]. In all RPGs that are third person, the camera is either fixed behind the character or switches from shoulder to shoulder, but barely doing anything else. In Reckoning, the camera follows the character, but not so strictly. It sometimes stays somewhere, leaving your character nearly off screen, but most of the time it just gives you a different outlook on the battle field, and that I like.

Well, to be fair, Skyrim's combat is a bit meh, so the claim that it's got better combat than Skyrim isn't that big of a statement.

But then again, who's playing Skyrim for the combat?

It isn't exactly that hard to beat the Skyrim level of combat. Skyrim, bless it's aggressive soul, is not that complicated. One click and you've done a regular attack, press the button down and you can do several different types of heavy damage dealing attacks (All with some sort of side-effect pending you have invested the points).

If I were to compare it's combat I would ask; is it better than Risen or is it better than Gothic? We'll have to wait and tell. The demo was a poor example of the games combat; at best you had one or two unlocked abilities of varying use.

I do wonder what will happen to the UI, however. While playing the PC demo (Because I'm too cheap for the x-box demo. Screw you X-Box live gold) I can't help but tell the UI is strongly designed for the x-box. The lack of conversation short-cuts in the listed dialogue, "potion" circle interface without the ability to set potions onto the spell bar and poor auto-detection of the current screen resolution (Although not many games get this so it's passable) kinda points it out.

Although I'm a sucker for the Gothic game style so it's a day 1 buy with a wish I could get the collectors edition but can't due to living in Australia (I'll pay for the postage and handling; why can't you deliver here?)

Smertnik:
Meh. The world is standard fantasy stuff through and through, the story and characters are boring, the art style uninspired, the graphics mediocre at best, many gameplay features (like lock picking and inventory management) badly designed. I do agree that combat is the best part about the game, but even that isn't exactly amazing. As of now I'd rate this game M for Mediocre.

I had forgotten about the lockpicking, you're right, it was complete shit. It was all trial and error and it will seemingly rely on having lots and lots of lockpicks. And the inventory was bullshit as well. While I enjoyed the overall experience, it was a mediocre game. I couldn't imagine playing it for 200 hours, or anywhere near that number for that matter. Also, that fateweaver guy you meet (his name escapes me) was supposed to be drunk.... that was terrible voice acting because I wasn't able to figure that out til I picked the right dialog option. I thought my character was just a huge douchebag for saying that stuff.

OT: Skyrim combat was a joke, that is like picking the low ball and then accidentally hitting a higher ball and saying you did better. The combat in this game is much much much better than Skyrim's combat, but that isn't saying much.

The trailer looks like it's for an MMO than a one player game. Still have to go try the demo though.

Baresark:
I had forgotten about the lockpicking, you're right, it was complete shit. It was all trial and error and it will seemingly rely on having lots and lots of lockpicks. And the inventory was bullshit as well. While I enjoyed the overall experience, it was a mediocre game. I couldn't imagine playing it for 200 hours, or anywhere near that number for that matter. Also, that fateweaver guy you meet (his name escapes me) was supposed to be drunk.... that was terrible voice acting because I wasn't able to figure that out til I picked the right dialog option. I thought my character was just a huge douchebag for saying that stuff.

The lockpicking is shit. I have to agree. The game presents A LOT of good ideas, but many are poorly done or barely shine. The story isn't really that generic to me, the idea of fate being presented in the way it is makes it interesting to me. I'd like to see where they go with such a concept. An example of good ideas was dispelling. The idea that to unlock doors and chests is to break through a magical barrier before it shatters and injures you is an interesting idea to me. I think it could have been done better, but it is greatly intriguing. Lockpicking has an x-ray style view in the image. That could open several doors to make lock picking unique, but it doesn't seem like they do anything. Maybe if you get higher lockpicking? I don't know.

NotSoLoneWanderer:
The trailer looks like it's for an MMO than a one player game. Still have to go try the demo though.

How come? is it the cartoony look?

OP: I enjoyed the demo and think ill pick it up sometime. Enjoyed the combat, and most of the stuff in the game really.

Not sure if its just for other things, but i didnt really run into many bugs in my 360 demo, let alone gamebreaking ones. Just some texture pop-in really.

I agree demons/ dark souls combat is better overall. I think they handled spells better here though, holding down the right trigger and hitting a face button is much quicker than having to equip a "talisman" of some sort. And the fact that there are several talismans for different spells, AND have to to equip it along with swords/sheilds/bows. Not cool.

Then again, i dont play a hell of a lot of RPG games, so maybe these things which i see as impressive are not so much :P

Overall it may not be particulary new/ groundbreaking anywhere but polishes existing stuff quite well. Which is enough for me.

Well, to be fair it's not that tough to have better combat than Skyrim, which is still stuck in the "press button to whack enemy" school.

And after playing the Amalur demo, I can say that I did indeed enjoy the combat more than Skyrim's. It has a Fable feeling to it, and given that I enjoyed Fable, I reckon I'll enjoy this one.

combat was better than Skyrim, Fable, or World of Warcraft, but then again it isn't really hard to make a better fighting engine than those games. Now if they would make combat better than say in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or Bayonetta, THEN I'll be impressed

The combat was alright Played the demo, Nothing that I'm too Excited about, 60$ is too much to charge for , for a new IP.

yes, skyrim is well known for its wonderful, realistic and fluid combat.
in related news, it also has better story than pong!
better graphics than tetris!
i could go on, but i think i made my point here.

"the art style is also impressive (even though it's more than a little reminiscent of World of Warcraft)"

I really dislike it. If you're going to go that far down the route of a very distinct art-style, then it should compensate for a lack of polygons, not emphasise it.

Anyway, my interest was piqued at one point, but I can't shake the feeling that its just going to come and go with a bit of a whimper (unfortunately). The writing/acting/story hasn't grabbed the interest of any impressions and previews I've read either.

And its made the rather unfortunate connection in my mind to Fable (a game series so stupid you'd need your only brain cells to be in your arse to enjoy)[1], which I now can't divorce it from.

[1] Do not care if you like it.

Well, I'm back from playing the demo!

If the combat is the same in release as in the demo then... no. It worked for the most part, but it was a far cry form the best in any RPG.
Blocking and dodging was simply far too cumbersome, and the charge attacks sent you in the way you were already facing rather than the direction you were aiming.

The combat system in the original Darksiders would've fit in well here, I think.

Played the demo... its not better than Skyrim. Its like an alternate Dragon Age world with more varied enemies and some other features "borrowed" from other games.

daveman247:

NotSoLoneWanderer:

How come? is it the cartoony look?

OP: I enjoyed the demo and think ill pick it up sometime. Enjoyed the combat, and most of the stuff in the game really.

Not sure if its just for other things, but i didnt really run into many bugs in my 360 demo, let alone gamebreaking ones. Just some texture pop-in really.

I agree demons/ dark souls combat is better overall. I think they handled spells better here though, holding down the right trigger and hitting a face button is much quicker than having to equip a "talisman" of some sort. And the fact that there are several talismans for different spells, AND have to to equip it along with swords/sheilds/bows. Not cool.

Then again, i dont play a hell of a lot of RPG games, so maybe these things which i see as impressive are not so much :P

Overall it may not be particulary new/ groundbreaking anywhere but polishes existing stuff quite well. Which is enough for me.

Yeah just the graphics seem...not as good as they could be but for technical reasons than it being unfeasible. Graphics aren't all that matters of course but it just looks like MMO graphics to me. Nothing necessarily wrong with that I must add.

Setting the combat in the TES games as your bar is really setting the bar low. Thank god they aren't trying to limbo under it.

Really? That IS long... I didn't know since I couldn't stomach it for more than 15 mins.

Zer_:

Oh god, I fucking hated that about the combat. I expect combat to be responsive, and Reckoning's combat is NOT fluid.

I can dig it. You can do an immediate dodge after two swings, but you're locked in if you commit to a third. That adds some tactical variety to the game to be honest. It feels better knowing that I have to think about my combat sometimes. It touches on the feeling I get from Dark Souls.

I don't judge RPGs based on their combat. If I did I'd think most of them were pretty awful. Saying that your RPG has the best combat out of any RPG is like saying your racing game has the best detail on the nitro out of any other racing game. Sure it's a part of the package, but it's not what I look at first.

Saying your game has the best story out of any RPG, now that would get me hooked. Saying it's more open, or has more quests, or more potential endings and ways of characterising yourself. Those are things I look for. Saying it has the best combat? Not likely.

The best combat? Are you daft? The combat isn't even noteworthy. The graphical style is dated and reused, the storyline is generic fantasy, the controls [for PC] don't make a lot of sense, the camera is frustratingly stubborn, and if you set the graphical settings to ultra, there's a good chance the game will simply decide not to render anything.

My experience with the demo was wholly unsatisfying and generally unsurprising. Though maybe it's just me - with all the hype this game is getting, I suspect that I may just have something against western RPGs - and Bioware and Bethesda games seem to be the exceptions that prove the rule.

I definitely agree. The combat was great and the game in general looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it.

It looks like Fable.

Sorry, let me rephrase that...

It looks like shit.

well that bar is set pretty low. Yeah the combat is alright, it's no Bayonetta but it's alright.
also, am I the only one a little creeped out by the art on reckoning? the cartoony visuals do not match the dark subject matter and brutal finishing moves very well. It's like if a mallet hit in a tom and jerry cartoon resulted in a caved skull and blood pouring from his ears.

Totally agree with the comment that it feels like a tweaked Fable. Combat is very Fable-esque, and the art style is very WoW/Fable-stylized as well.

Hmm.. I'm a little intrigued by this.

*Brain updated*

*oops, double post**

Played the demo... The game was awful and I shall only buy this used.

Vault101:

Zhukov:

You can, although it doesn't affect anything beyond appearance.

The game uses the Dragon Age approach to talking where your character silently stands there with all the expressiveness of a fence post while you click your way through the dialogue tree.

AWSOME!

Awesome about playing a female, or awesome about a silent protagonist?

While being able to chose gender is always good, silent protagonist just doesn't fly with me in an era of gaming when the only reason a game possibly can't have a voiced player character is because of budget.

The demo was okay, but if I find out that they actually had the money to spend on good voice talent for the player character, I would have to walk over to the developing studio and have a talk with someone.

Granted that the stuff he added doesn't impact the game a large amount but I think Ken Rolston needs to find a new line of work. I vote him the developer that likes to add the most useless mechanics, item wear among them(we all know it had to have been his idea, considering his background).

That guy is only asking for backlash saying the game has the best combat ever. But anyway Skyrim doesn't even have that great of combat so saying that your's is better is not a big selling point.

It has good action-RPG combat. Kind of the feel DA2 seemed to be trying (and failing) to achieve.

That said, it wasn't perfect. Good, yes, but not great. There were control issues and often times my dive-roll would send me in the opposite direction I wanted.

Also, I kind of think the game should be renamed: Kingdom of stun-locks: Hooray for stun-locks.

Every successful attack interrupts what the target was doing, which counts for both you and the enemy. Given that many of the special attacks take a second or two to execute, and that you'll typically fight multiple enemies at once, I found the best tactic was generally to just mash away at the basic attack until everything stopped moving. Every time I tried to liven things up by blocking, or using a special attack I'd get stun locked and lose some health.

I think the combat was good, and I'm considering getting it now, but calling it "the best" is a serious overstatement.

Skyrim's combat is OK but it's not exactly the best out there even with all the improvements they made to it since Oblivion.

What i'd like to see is if the combat is anywhere near level with Dark Souls, then we'd have something to talk about.

Once again, EA is wanking off in public to try to get attention. That crap doesn't work on me anymore.

Also, I find it funny that despite this being an EA game, you can get it on Steam. I guess EA only uses their well-known franchises like Battlefield and Mass Effect to try to strong-arm people into using Origin.

And if anyone says "But EA isn't the publisher!", then tell me... why the fuck is there an EA symbol on this game's official website? They're involved somehow with this. >_>

In my opinion "God of War" (fast-paced), Bayonetta (even faster) and Dark Souls (tactical) share the position as number one combat system. Skyrim, sorry but true, has the most oudated battle-system among recent published good games. It's chaotic (and not in the positive sense) and just depends on points while, for example Dark Souls, proves that getting his head slashed of once or twice makes more fun that simple button-mashing.

Since it got multiplayer in 2010 or maybe from it's first release in 2008 or maybe even since the early betas and for the foreseeable future (until it's own sequel, I guess) there is no game that comes even close to the rewarding player skill based 200+ player fun combat of Mount & Blade. Chivalry:Medieval Warfare is the closest one and it has yet to prove that it's at least in the same league...

Yureina:
Once again, EA is wanking off in public to try to get attention. That crap doesn't work on me anymore.

Also, I find it funny that despite this being an EA game, you can get it on Steam. I guess EA only uses their well-known franchises like Battlefield and Mass Effect to try to strong-arm people into using Origin.

And if anyone says "But EA isn't the publisher!", then tell me... why the fuck is there an EA symbol on this game's official website? They're involved somehow with this. >_>

They're the publisher, but they don't actually own 38 Studios. So they get significantly less say in stuff like that. Plus, it's a new IP. It makes sense to try and distribute it as widely as possible.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here