Rumor: Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray, Anti-Used Games System

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Rumor: Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray, Anti-Used Games System

The latest next-gen rumor claims that Microsoft's next Xbox will support Blu-ray discs and boast some sort of "anti-used game" technology.

The best thing about the radio-silent buildup to a new generation of game consoles is the torrent of rumors, some eminently reasonable and others wildly speculative, that float to the surface about this or that upcoming next-gen system. It's fun trying to separate the obvious from the obvious nonsense, and it's even more fun watching fanboys of various stripes get mad about it. Hey, I get my kicks where I can.

Anyway, the latest entirely unsubstantiated rumor to come to light regards the coming successor to Microsoft's Xbox 360. According to "industry sources" dug up by Kotaku, the NextBox Xbox 720 will support Blu-ray, just like Sony's current-gen PlayStation 3. It's not exactly a world-beating upgrade but it is long overdue; the DVD drive in the Xbox 360 holds less than nine gigabytes of data, compared to the 50GB capacity of Blu-ray. I think we can file that one under "obvious."

More interesting, and far less obvious, is word that Microsoft is looking to incorporate an anti-used game system into the new box. How, or even if, it will work isn't clear; a mandatory online component for the hardware that links each game to a specific console or user account might get the job done, but it would limit sales of the console to people both able and willing to take part in the scheme. And while publishers might dig the idea, it would almost certainly alienate the great hordes of consumers who enjoy the benefits of the preowned market.

This one, I think, should go under "wildly speculative."

In case you missed it, it was also reported today that the next Xbox will be six times more powerful than the Xbox 360, which is half as powerful as the Wii U, which does not yet exist.

M'Aiq knows much, tells some.

"Bluray? Why would anyone want games to be all on one disc?"

"Anti-used game system? M'Aiq knows better than to kick that large of section on the consumer base in the head."

Anti-used games feature? Really? Are companies really this worried about used games? I know they are losing money from this, but come on, this is a pretty extreme measure...

I can only hope people will not be duped into this...if you ask me, this is getting pretty damn ridiculous...

An anti-used game system wouldn't limit sales of the console, but would more than likely kill a major share of the market as well. We aren't talking about just used games here, but also the rental chains. Unless they provide a special "unlocked" copy for them, they will have to drop support of the system as well. Which means Microsoft will have to give up a good portion of its sales base to its competitors Sony and Nintendo.

And if a special unlocked copy exists, well... you'll be seeing that going up onto the internet rather damn quickly, much faster than any game would now.

We're talking a mistake at the stupidity levels of Ubisoft-DRM here.

CD Keys are coming to the next Xbox! You heard it here first!

...I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't play consoles anymore, but... that anti-used game feature sounds more than a little ridiculous. What is with game developers and their never-ending whoring for every scrap of potential dollars they can get?

You don't see this crap with books and movies. >_<

And in other news I am glad I am on the PC so I NEVER have to suffer under a companies pathetic money grabbing tactic if this is true.

As someone who actually does believe used games under the GameStop model do hurt the industry, I'd like to state that, yeah, if the 720 doesn't allow used games at all I will likely not be buying the system. Sorry, MS, but that's just going too far.

Andy Chalk:

And I've just thought of the simplest solution to the industry's obsession with killing the used games industry dead.

For Sony to have a system where used games were allowed.

Market competition causes disgruntled customers to buy Sony instead, benefiting them. Once MS realise how well they're doing, they'll be forced to change up their act, with the 720 Elite or whatever which does let you buy used games, and by that point it'll be too late. Then they'll be losing so much money on consoles they'll be forced back to computing, and make Windows 10 an AMAZING operating system after the travesties that were 8 and 9. Then they'll decide to start focusing on their online service, Games For Windows Live, and switch it from being a horrific DRM service to a cheap publishing company and digital distribution store that can finally provide some much-needed competition to Steam. This competition will again, mean that Valve have to drop their DRM service to even have a chance of picking up the slack, and finally reduce their prices to about the same amount as DVDs. Meanwhile, the various PC creation companies, noticing how much potential there will be for the platform in the coming years, collaborate to make a new, super fast, super cheap system that will be able to run games even 5, maybe 6 generations from now, effectively killing the focus on graphics (seeing as you can never be as good as what the main console can handle). Sony starts to falter in the background, but manages to add its own online store to the PC to compete with Steam and Windows Live - not quite as good, but with many unique titles. Nintendo, meanwhile, will be filling the very obvious niché of family-friendly games on home consoles, with Mojang bringing up the rear with their new console, the Block. And Apple imploded somehow along the way.

I like my vision for the future.

And for the record, XBox 720 is the stupidest name for a console I've ever heard - bar the Wii, obviously. I pray to Kyne they don't actually call it that.

I highly doubt this is true. Microsoft themselves must say it before I believe anything about this console

Andy Chalk:
More interesting, and far less obvious, is word that Microsoft is looking to incorporate an anti-used game system into the new box. [ ... ] ...it would limit sales of the console to people both able and willing to take part in the scheme.

You misspelled, "scam." HTH. HAND.

Haha, this is great!... if you don't want to sell the system. I can see it now, parents go out to buy their kids the latest greatest console and the folks at Gamestop are like, "yeah, it's a great system, but they block used games so you will always have to buy the games at full price". All the parents would be like, "Peace Niggaz, we out!"

Well, the cool parents would be like that. The uncool ones would be say, "gee, thanks for the heads up, I guess my son/daughter will have to be happy with their WiiU and PS4. He will probably buy it with his own money from working... in ten years because he is 7".

Also, the inclusion of BluRay is a given. But that would be a shitty excuse to buy a system you can't play used games on. And as it stands now, you can buy a BluRay player for $50.

I don't think this rumor is going to win them the hearts and minds of the gamers.

PS. I hope everyone liked my story. Thanks for reading. :p

I will not buy one if it EVER has anti-used game system. Lending and borrowing games between friends is part of console gaming culture. It's obvious though that it can't be true as it would suicide for next xbox to alienate core demographic people who buy consoles.

An anti-used-games system?

Assuming the WiiU and PS4 arent doing the same thing Microsoft should make an achievement for itself for pissing off every single game retail store, and 90% of all potential buyers.

Well that's just silly. I'm constantly borrowing from and lending games to friends. I also trade them in and often get second hand ones. I rent shit loads of games too - you know, games like Force Unleashed 2 which are generally quite fun to play but you definitely wouldn't spend a great deal of money on them. Furthermore my housemate and I often buy cheap games just to see what they're like and have a shockingly awful, but fun, experience.

This is a ridiculous idea.

Anti-Used Game System Idea: Instead of BD drive, make it a BD-Burner. Those aren't a hell of a lot more expensive these days anyway.

Then jig your publishing requirements to be on WORM (Write once, read many) Bluray discs, and require a small bit of the disc to remain unwritten.

First time you shove the disc in your Xbox it looks for the code of another Xbox. If it finds it, it drops out with a message of, "The person who sold you this game violated the licence agreements on it when they did. Please contact them for an immediate refund." If it doesn't find any code, it writes the code of your Xbox on it, and throws up a EULA requiring you to click-through and agree that you'll only play the game on this Xbox. If it finds your code already on it, it proceeds as normal.

Thus, no online connection required, no having to thumb in some sort of code (which is generally one of the easiest security methods to bypass) and used game sales basically wiped out for any new game.

I imagine the devs would have to promise Microsoft some HEFTY SUMS OF MONEY to do this if it's true. Used games are too important to gamers for Microsoft to freely corner off that section of the market.

If it IS true, I guess my wife will thank Microsoft... I've been trying to give up gaming for a while now. This would certainly keep me from getting a 720. I already hate the Wii U. C'mon Sony! Put some ridiculously stupid feature into the PS4 and I'll kiss off all non-Steam gaming forever!!

Andy Chalk:
More interesting, and far less obvious, is word that Microsoft is looking to incorporate an anti-used game system into the new box. How, or even if, it will work isn't clear; a mandatory online component for the hardware that links each game to a specific console or user account might get the job done, but it would limit sales of the console to people both able and willing to take part in the scheme. And while publishers might dig the idea, it would almost certainly alienate the great hordes of consumers who enjoy the benefits of the preowned market.

You can bet your ass they're going to include that xD I've been saying that for at least 2 years now and it doesn't make any sense to not include it for them.

Fact: Publishers are against it and are trying to combat it because they don't get a cut.
Fact: Microsoft/SONY aren't getting any of the Licensing money from "Used copies" either.
Fact: SONY has already started including a "PSN Pass" on every one of their games: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-06-sony-makes-psn-pass-official

Interesting Tidbit: Twisted Metal's "David Jaffe" was outspoken against having it in his game, making big claims kicking and screaming: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/328830/david-jaffe-doesnt-want-twisted-metal-online-pass/
Just a month later he was put into place by SONY and had to announce it himself :P
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/23/twisted-metals-psn-pass-demo-and-day-one-patch-jaffe-explain/

Why wouldn't they do it? They have everything to gain from it (especially more money from any direct new sale) and barely anything to lose.

this anti-gaming system rumor the new xbox is really dumb.

this going to hurt MS badly if they do that.

Pretty sure that anti-used games is an infringment on consumer rights. While you can incentivize new purchases, you cannot forbid a person to gift, lend, or sell their copy of the product unless you only sold them the licence. Which would mean digital downloads only. Hence why DLC is so often employed. People buy it, devs get money even if the game is bought used, and its non-refundable since your buying the license to the content, and not the content. Now, there are crafty ways around this. Selling the game and the licence to activate that specific copy as a package (See PC games and CD Codes) is doable, but also alienates consumers. No one wants to thumb in a CD code. Especially on an Xbox. And lets avoid the legal battle that would follow between households with more than one console but only one copy of the game.

Instead, lets move to Bluray. Why?

Bluray is INFERIOR to standard DVD, especially for gaming. It holds more data, but thats it. Its structured in a way and devices read it in a way that is too slow for gaming. Hence why you have to download games to the PS3 before you play them. Doing this would require the inclusion of a harddrive, and a decent sized one at that. Its also an inconvenience to player. Given how far along low-mid range PCs have gone in the past couple of years, its nearly impossible to justify that in this age, especially when put up against a new consoles price.

If this is true, then the new Xbox is just turning into a mid-range PC, with the good aspects of PC gaming (superior controlling, modifications, lower gaming costs and higher graphical and processing capabilities) ripped out of them. And its taking the advantages of console gaming (used sales/sharing titles, open-and-play capabilities, and low cost compared to PC's) and pissing them off into the wind.

Its arrogant to think that you can treat your customers like shit and get away with it. And there are plenty of companies this last console cycle that can attest to that. Do you think Nintendo would be losing the degree of profits they are if they had treated the Wii and DS, and the IP's on them, with respect rather then childrens toys?

I for one would welcome the anti used game system, if only to watch video games undergo a massive crash in the market.

Uber Waddles:
Pretty sure that anti-used games is an infringment on consumer rights. While you can incentivize new purchases, you cannot forbid a person to gift, lend, or sell their copy of the product unless you only sold them the licence.

Haven't looked at the license you click through on modern games at all have you?

All you purchase is the disc, box, and manual (if any). All of the content on this disc is only licensed to you.

Instead, lets move to Bluray. Why?

Bluray is INFERIOR to standard DVD, especially for gaming. It holds more data, but thats it. Its structured in a way and devices read it in a way that is too slow for gaming. Hence why you have to download games to the PS3 before you play them. Doing this would require the inclusion of a harddrive, and a decent sized one at that. Its also an inconvenience to player. Given how far along low-mid range PCs have gone in the past couple of years, its nearly impossible to justify that in this age, especially when put up against a new consoles price.

Hard Drive is faster than standard DVD as well, and large hard drives are frickin' cheap -- especially if you're ordering them in mass quantities. Hell, I've got an extra tera-byte external drive I picked up on a sale that I haven't found a use for yet -- but grabbed it just because it was like $60.

Bloody hell that "anti-used games" thing better not be true. The thing is, like a lot of the other pretty ominous rumours about the next Xbox, I can see it actually happening. If these all turn out to be true there's no way I'm going to buy the thing.

Hmmm....

Interesting rumors. Especially if they're true.

And six times as powerful as the 360? My, that's impressive! It's like we're in the far-flung future of 2009!

Wait...what's that? Could it be? Might I actually care about this new console gener...

Nope. Still don't give a damn. I own a 360 and a Wii. They are likely the very LAST consoles I ever buy. Console gaming literally offers me nothing I can't get on my PC. And what it does offer, I often don't care about.

Well, technically an anti-used game system already exists on the PC--but this just shows how stupid of an idea this is (if true). I bought "Skyrim" for the PC but had it connected to my account on Steam, so my brother can only play it while logged in on my account. He had to buy the same game, which is installed on the same machine, in order to play the game at his leisure.

I know these consoles are becoming more like PCs with every generation, but we don't need the *down-sides* of playing PC games being part of consoles. Please let this be just a rumor and not something to piss gamers off for X years...

Iirc, didn't Microsoft lose money on each console sold, but earn money for each game sold (through the developer having to pay money to microsoft in order to develop for their console)? If so, Microsoft has just as much to lose on people buying used games instead of new games. In fact, if someone would theoretically only buy used games, and never buy a single new game, wouldn't microsoft directly lose cash? In those cases, it would actually be better for microsoft if you chose to not buy their console (if you ignore the whole idea of "everyone has an xbox, so i will buy one too", which is just way too unpredictable).

Might as well make it bloody download only if you're gonna make it "anti-used". If this is the case when the new one comes out, hopefully the general opposition of the public and meagre sales will mean they'll remove it.

And Sony and Nintendo are cracking bottles of champagne if this turns out to be true. It must be fun seeing one of your rivals piss off and alienate their consumers.

Microsoft sold the world the idea of paying for multiplayer, and alot of us bought it.

Apple managed to sell IPOD and IPHONE as if they were the very first to actually think of that kind of products.

Activision sell MAP PACKS(!!!!) for the price of 1/4 of what the full game cost in the first place.

Ubisoft, Electronic Arts and Activision all manage to sell a yearly updates of their biggest franchises for full price

So why not. Why not sell us another product that further limits our freedom to use them how we like? we will just buy it anyway like any other product thats flashy and fresh

If the anti-used service is real, then Microsoft have effectively pissed off every single games retailer around the world.

As much as people like to bitch about Gamestop and the like for selling used games, the fact is that second-hand sales are where most of these retailers make their money. Brand new games cost so much to buy for them in the first place that they really don't make all that much from new sales. Used sales are where they make their real profits, and are how they're able to stay open on expensive high streets.

If Microsoft goes through with this, then I very much doubt that Gamestop and the like will carry their console. Simple. No games retailer is going to sell a console that actively robs them of their business.

Ignoring, of course, the fact that this would also be a huge slap in the face to gamers and consumers everywhere.

I don't get how these rumours work. I mean, what makes this guys unverified claims more important than any other unverified claims? How do you pick what to report on?

If I tell you I'm working on the next x-box and that it will initially only be available in hot pink, will you report on that?

Anti-used game system?

If true, then why don't Microsoft just hire someone to throw cow-shit at you every time you enter a Gamestop?

Six times more powerfull then a 360 ? Now thats great ! Now lets factor in that the 360 has had quite some time on the market and that you can get a PC with the same performance for just the same prize - No, this will not fly.

Built in DRM and Subscription based online through live ? Why not include a small claymore into the case that shreds you, your family and your pets at some random point during your playtime ?
I can't think of any other way to better market your way OUT of the console business.
The only reason I own a 360 next to my PC IS the used game market. I can get a cheap game from several years back and see if I get a kick out of it. Otherwise, just pop in a controler with the PC and voila - just the same experience. We even got some of those annoying 14 year olds yelling over their stupidity !

they could include a small burner that would tag new disks for your system id number only.

IF it had some kind anti-used game 'protection' I wouldn't get the system, ever.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here