Square-Enix Trademarks "Sleeping Dogs" as Possible Kane & Lynch 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Square-Enix Trademarks "Sleeping Dogs" as Possible Kane & Lynch 3

The real news here is someone thinks another Kane & Lynch is a good idea.

The first Kane & Lynch game was marred by the whole Jeff Gerstman-GameSpot controversy, but the sequel wasn't much better. I liked the idea of a found-footage game, but the execution was a bit muddied. And why did we have to see middle-aged ass in an extended cutscene? Still, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days must have had enough of an audience to warrant another game. That is, if the internet sleuths who found a trademark request from Square-Enix for a game called "Sleeping Dogs" are correct in assuming it is for Kane & Lynch 3.

Square-Enix owns Eidos, who in turn owns the Danish studio IO Interactive, makers of the Hitman and Kane & Lynch franchises. Square handled publishing duties for the last Kane & Lynch, so it would make sense if that company was the one registering the trademark.

Also, Ian Livingstone of Eidos said the team wasn't done making Kane & Lynch games last year. "We haven't made any announcements about Kane & Lynch going forward, but we all know that Kane and Lynch are two amazing characters who have a lot of brand equity," he told Eurogamer. "People like those guys, so they're not going to disappear."

So that's about all we know. Despite its lukewarm reception, the Kane & Lynch franchise isn't dead. Square filed a trademark for "Sleeping Dogs" and IO Interactive is about to ship Hitman: Absolution this year. Has the team started work on a new Kane & Lynch? Will those lovable kooks team up again for more gritty shootouts? Will I get a chance to see more pixelated man-ass?

Only time will tell.

Source: NeoGaf via CVG

While it did have many flaws, I liked Kane & Lynch 2, the campaign was fun to play in co-op and it's multiplayer was really really cool and unqiue.

Ok. i think i can let them off making another Kane & Lynch, but could they please just drop it in the bin where it belongs if they bomb it again this time?

Okay...um...
WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!!?!
The last one was like concentrated garbage. The plot isn't all that interesting, the gameplay is pretty damn cookie cutter, the only thing unique about it was the way the second one was designed to look like it was shot with a budget camcorder and the destructible cover, and those just served to annoy. And it didn't even sell well, so they don't get that excuse either.
I honestly can't see any reason to make a new K&L game... no reasons at all...

gigastar:
Ok. i think i can let them off making another Kane & Lynch, but could they please just drop it in the bin where it belongs if they bomb it again this time?

I think it is still too early to dismiss this franchise while both games were not spectacular, they did take risks with a unique campaign (even if it did fail) and its multiplayer is fairly unique to the genre. If they could fix up technical and story issues, it could be a great game.

Hey, it wasn't just standard pixelated middle aged man-arse, but bleeding pixelated middle aged man-arse.

Greg Tito:
I liked the idea of a found-footage game, but the execution was a bit muddied. And why did we have to see middle-aged ass in an extended cutscene?

If critically acclaimed movies like Eastern Promises and Hunger can get away with having (often quite visceral) nude scenes starring middle aged men, why can't we allow games to do the same. Just because a scene is a nude one, that doesn't mean it automatically has to be fanservice.

Personally, for all its flaws, I found that one nude scene in K&L2 to be a very effective scene at making me wince in tension and outright discomfort. Which, I imagine, is exactly what the developers were aiming for.

NvrPhazed:

gigastar:

I think it is still too early to dismiss this franchise while both games were not spectacular, they did take risks with a unique campaign (even if it did fail) and its multiplayer is fairly unique to the genre. If they could fix up technical and story issues, it could be a great game.

Ill concede that the multiplayer might be unique, mostly because i never touched the thing.

But what you seem to have missed in my earlier statement was the "if" which ive now highlighted in red.

I feel like the Kane & Lynch games are full of good ideas and have the potential to be good. I'm glad that despite all the flaws of the previous games they aren't giving up on the series.

Well, Kane & Lynch 2 did sell over a million copies. Not stellar, but apparently this convinced Squenix we really want more.

If it were me, I would have let sleeping dogs lie. Or better yet, take them out back.

"sleeping dogs" does sound like a cool subtitle to me

well lets hope Kane and Lynch three is better than the last two. I like Kane more than Lynch

The amount of NOPE in this article is well...distressing, the first one was meh, the second one still causes me nightmares.

So, we're now at the point where making a third game in a series like K&L is seen as a better idea than making a brand new game in a brand new IP.

This is stupid. Sequelitis has finally become terminal.

The really depressing thing is that it sold well enough to warrant this, and so many of ip's I like are no more because they couldn't sell enough but then this pile of absolute f****** s*** sold more units than them. Why cant publishers publicise good games instead of something that $1 hooker wouldnt touch. THIS IS WHY WE CAN HAVE NICE THINGS. Thank you square enix for giving a damn good reason that the games industry should be taken out back and be shot in the head. I mean there are some many more games are better over this, i mean would rather give a ten year old a headset and a copy of call of duty and say "go nuts" than let him play this garbage, hell a kick to the crotch is a preferable option. I feel sorry for the people who where suckered in by square enix. And btw square how many games how may good games did you released in 2011 and how many did you actually release compared to that number.

Ok I think I've been watching far to many zero punctuation for my own good.

I played the DEMO for KL2 and was starting to get nauseous by the end. What in fucks name are they thinking?

Damit all Square, just let Sleeping Dogs lie.

DVS BSTrD:

Damn... beaten to the punch[line]

Gammayun:
The really depressing thing is that it sold well enough to warrant this, and so many of ip's I like are no more because they couldn't sell enough but then this pile of absolute f****** s*** sold more units than them. Why cant publishers publicise good games instead of something that $1 hooker wouldnt touch. THIS IS WHY WE CAN HAVE NICE THINGS. Thank you square enix for giving a damn good reason that the games industry should be taken out back and be shot in the head. I mean there are some many more games are better over this, i mean would rather give a ten year old a headset and a copy of call of duty and say "go nuts" than let him play this garbage, hell a kick to the crotch is a preferable option. I feel sorry for the people who where suckered in by square enix. And btw square how many games how may good games did you released in 2011 and how many did you actually release compared to that number.

Ok I think I've been watching far to many zero punctuation for my own good.

My immediate guess is that a lot of work and money went into the franchise with plans to turn this into a major property before the first one was ever released. One of those situations where they had resources dedicated to an entire series before the first one ever saw the light of day, so right now they are thinking in terms of "how do we sell this" or "how do we salvage it" rather than just wanting to cut it loose.

A lot of mediocre properties have had the same thing happen.

You also have to look at the digital distribution platform. The Kane and Lynch games hit the budget bin on STEAM pretty quickly it seemed. Given that there is no real cost in terms of packaging and distribution, one has to wonder how many people bought the games for like $5 or less during STEAM sales, and after Gabe's cut how profitable that made the game.

Right now they could be thinking that they release the game for full price, the tiny handful of people who really like Kane and Lynch (I'm guessing there must be someone...) will buy it, but then the meat of the money will come from discount sales via digital platforms.

No...no...no...no...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Feedom Fighters 2 damnit! No more of this! No more! I'm sorry, but this is my honest reaction to seeing this. I was so hopeful that the next title from IO would be Freedom Fighters 2. After seeing this, my hopes are crushed.

I always liked Kane and Lynch as characters. Yet the games and the storylines they been put in pretty much shit on their personas. IF SE are making a new game get somebody who can write crime drama and don't half ass the gameplay.

-Insert facepalm picture in here-

Seriously Square Enix?! Out of ALL the games you've created, out of all the GOOD games that could have good, potential sequels, you choose Kane & Lynch? Really? Because, clearly, Kane & Lynch 2 was out there side by side with the best games of 2010. Oh, right! Wasn't it unfairly stolen of its GOTY title? I mean, we ALL knew K&L deserved it better than whatever piece of crap game won that award that year.

Okay, enough of that. Still, seriously? Alright, we know that Kingdom hears 3 is nowhere near until you guys are done working with Versus, which is also nowhere near being released but whatever. We know you're not gonna work on a HD FFVII remake for whatever reason. Trolling or...whatever. So...how about a new project? Hey, how about a Legacy of Kain project? I heard you guys own Eidos now. No? How about a FFVIII sequel? I always thought that game had more than enough material to get a sequel or even a prequel with Laguna. No? Maybe a The World Ends with You sequel? Crazy idea; a direct Chrono Trigger sequel! None of that Chrono Cross stuff. Still no? Maybe True Crime: Hong Kong? How about working on fixing everything about FFXIV so that it's finally released for the PS3? We know you are working on fixing stuff but, really, it's been delayed over a year now.

I know I'm probably exaggerating. Really, I am, well, was, a Squaresoft Enix fan. They had so many good titles under their sleeves that I couldn't help but love those guys. But as of lately, well...it's sad to see them release like one or two good games for every 5 or 10 they release.

DVS BSTrD:

That joke was so bad, it needs to be put down.

Well, it's not our place to stop them from hitting themselves with bricks.

Fox242:
No...no...no...no...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Feedom Fighters 2 damnit! No more of this! No more! I'm sorry, but this is my honest reaction to seeing this. I was so hopeful that the next title from IO would be Freedom Fighters 2. After seeing this, my hopes are crushed.

Another hurdle to the creation of Freedom Fighters 2 is who holds the franchise, none other than EA. If they green-light it anyway they will insist of putting that POS Origin into the game.

And IO is owned by Squeenix-Eidos and let's face I don't see them cooperating on this project.

Beautiful End:
-Insert facepalm picture in here-

Seriously Square Enix?! Out of ALL the games you've created, out of all the GOOD games that could have good, potential sequels, you choose Kane & Lynch? Really? Because, clearly, Kane & Lynch 2 was out there side by side with the best games of 2010. Oh, right! Wasn't it unfairly stolen of its GOTY title? I mean, we ALL knew K&L deserved it better than whatever piece of crap game won that award that year.

Okay, enough of that. Still, seriously? Alright, we know that Kingdom hears 3 is nowhere near until you guys are done working with Versus, which is also nowhere near being released but whatever. We know you're not gonna work on a HD FFVII remake for whatever reason. Trolling or...whatever. So...how about a new project? Hey, how about a Legacy of Kain project? I heard you guys own Eidos now. No? How about a FFVIII sequel? I always thought that game had more than enough material to get a sequel or even a prequel with Laguna. No? Maybe a The World Ends with You sequel? Crazy idea; a direct Chrono Trigger sequel! None of that Chrono Cross stuff. Still no? Maybe True Crime: Hong Kong? How about working on fixing everything about FFXIV so that it's finally released for the PS3? We know you are working on fixing stuff but, really, it's been delayed over a year now.

I know I'm probably exaggerating. Really, I am, well, was, a Squaresoft Enix fan. They had so many good titles under their sleeves that I couldn't help but love those guys. But as of lately, well...it's sad to see them release like one or two good games for every 5 or 10 they release.

Well they did release Just Cause 2, a game I didn't know I will love because I pretty sick of sandbox games when they released it. But somehow they made it fun and plays like an action movie. Even though the voice acting is mediocre and the story is straight from a 80's action B-movie, although from what I learned the developers intended to be that way.

Also it was Yatzhee's GOTY.

Still it boggles my mind why would they made another K&L game, but hey they want to take risk, so be it.

But like said above me, if this third game tank AGAIN!!! kill the it already.

You know what why don't they just made Just Cause 3 because Rico is more likable than Kane and Lynch.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Greg Tito:
I liked the idea of a found-footage game, but the execution was a bit muddied. And why did we have to see middle-aged ass in an extended cutscene?

If critically acclaimed movies like Eastern Promises and Hunger can get away with having (often quite visceral) nude scenes starring middle aged men, why can't we allow games to do the same. Just because a scene is a nude one, that doesn't mean it automatically has to be fanservice.

Personally, for all its flaws, I found that one nude scene in K&L2 to be a very effective scene at making me wince in tension and outright discomfort. Which, I imagine, is exactly what the developers were aiming for.

The problem wasn't the visuals, but rather the visual style. Shaky-cam is impossible to do when you're just trying to watch a movie. Now try to play a game where shaky-cam describes all the movement. It was a very nice experiment, don't get me wrong, it just didn't pan out as well.

That said, I'd rahter have Kane and Lynch 3 than another game about these two psychos

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

That joke was so bad, it needs to be put down.

admit it, you still giggled :p, though, even a bad joke like that is more then K&L deserve, but then, Square has seemed to developed a fear of money >.> FF13 was ok, nothing memorable or anything, and, well, FF14 ... just ... FF14 ...

Third time is a charm as they say, right? Right...?

If this one tanks too, can we just put this series to rest already?

Am I the only one that actually liked Kane and Lynch 2?

*gets called a fucking clown*

Seriously though, I thought it was a pretty cool game. It had a ton of flaws and was short as hell, but I enjoyed playing it.

Maybe it's because I played it at a friend's house, though, and didn't pay for it. If I had payed 50 bucks for a 4-5 hour game I'd be kinda peeved too.

Jubbert:
Am I the only one that actually liked Kane and Lynch 2?

*gets called a fucking clown*

Seriously though, I thought it was a pretty cool game. It had a ton of flaws and was short as hell, but I enjoyed playing it.

Maybe it's because I played it at a friend's house, though, and didn't pay for it. If I had payed 50 bucks for a 4-5 hour game I'd be kinda peeved too.

No, you aren't. We're just in the minority. I really liked both games (the first moreso than than the second), so I fearlessly admit that I can't wait to see what they do next. Hopefully they can make up for the godawful ending of the second by creating a campaign that's as interesting as the first and the first half of the second.

It's just completely bewildering where they rack up the sales for this game, is there some sort of sadomasochistic gaming cult that just get's off on this shit.

I wish they'd take the franchise out back and shoot it.

As in, "Square Enix couldn't let sleeping dogs lie with the Kane and Lynch series."

...Anyone? No? Okay...

Formica Archonis:
So, we're now at the point where making a third game in a series like K&L is seen as a better idea than making a brand new game in a brand new IP.

This is stupid. Sequelitis has finally become terminal.

This. So frigging this.

Seriously, Square. *Megaphone* WHAT. THE FUCK. IS THE MATTER WITH YOU.

I think 95% of people rightfully thought that K&L2 was the worst game to come out that year, so WHY are they doing it? I mean, okay. Lots of people bashed FFX for getting a direct sequel, because a lot of people thought that was when the series began to degrade. But lots of people DID like it, so yeah. Justifiable. You could ARGUE it, but it was justified.

There is. NO. Justifying Kane and Lynch 3. This is the worst decision I've seen anyone make since frigging ACTA.

Yeah, I went there.

I'll give them this: they're friggin' determined to get us to like Kane and Lynch. I can understand a first sequel to try and rope people in if the first one bombs... but this is completely different. The game has tanked twice: give up already.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here