Star Wars Kinect Trailer Worth a Laugh, I Guess

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Kinect Trailer Worth a Laugh, I Guess

You don't have to be a TV star to embody Obi-Wan Kenobi, but it certainly helps.

The whole Kinect thing was really exciting back in 2010, but my interest in the technology has kind of waned along with the number of robot hacks. The Star Wars Kinect title teased in the original Cirque du Soleil-produced extravaganza at E3 2010 was becoming vaporware, but just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in. Surfacing on the web today is a short British commercial - at least it uses the PEGI rating logo - for the game starring a doofy American actor best known for his role on the sitcom Parks & Recreation. Yeah, I didn't know his name was Chris Pratt until I saw this trailer either.

I'll let you watch it yourself before I offer my criticism.

There's about a million things wrong with this "trailer." First, we don't see any footage from the game. Why tease a game everyone knows exists without ever showing us how it will look or play? Scared we will tear it apart again?

I had no problem with Chris Pratt before, but watching a grown-ass dude jump around with a lightsaber isn't all that funny when it's sheer promotion. The lightsaber kid was funny because he didn't know his film would be an internet sensation. There was an earnestness to that kid's fight choreography, which is completely absent with Pratt prattling around like an idiot.

Lastly, the whole point of a Star Wars Kinect game is to envision yourself as a Jedi, complete with all the emotion and gravitas that entails. We want to pretend we're Obi-Wan, not some schlep in a dingy robe. We want to battle and defeat the menacing Darth Vader, not elicit exasperated sighs from him.

By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material.

You know, like George Lucas has done for the last fifteen years.

*sigh*

Ew that was bad. For one thing, I cannot stand that Darth Vader voice. Matt Sloan might have been funny as Chad Vader, but he's fucking terrible as the actual darth.

After I clicked the link to the article... this was on the right hand side of the page:

OT: Lame video. I have no desire to play the game after watching that.

wait thats the actual thing? it looks like a bad parody...
even though that last part was rather funny :P
and that new xbox skin looks nice...

What the fuck was that?

Oh wait, I know! The death of any desire I remotely had for this game, good job!

Never had a desire to play the game in the first place. This was just another nail in the coffin.

I haven't given a shit about Star Wars since Episode 1 came out. In all honesty I enjoyed that clip, it's a bad advertisement (in every way), but at least it's funny.

The R2D2 360 cover and the 3CPO controller look cool I guess but would anyone want to buy it?

"By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material."

Ah, star wars fans. Gotta hate em.

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out. It did look promising in the early gameplay ads.

Live long and prosper.

As big a joke as the Kinnect itself.

Good thing George Lucas is leaving Star Wars alone, now let's see if the new guys in charge will treat it with some respe-

What the actual fuck?

So, I guess... Star Wars: Frat Boy Edition?

Seems the force... is not with this one.

RewardMe:
"By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material."

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out.

Word. I don't share the same optimism about the game as you, but I agree with all the rest

Escapist - "By poking fun at a scene many of us hold ****to be sacred****"

Now, I don't remember Escapist being this nerdy one or two years ago. If that's 'video game culture' now (or back again?), sorry, I'm out. I don't wanna live with this kind of childish attitude.

No wonder the Extra Credits guys left.[*]

[*] Don't waste time pointing out that there was the charity thing. I don't care. The point is that the Escapist has been in a downward spiral of negativity, nerdy sarcasm and snobbish attitutes in its articles lately - stuff that only reinforce the worst stereotypes about gaming, stuff that Extra Credits always defended we should avoid.

fabiosooner:

RewardMe:

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out.

Word. I don't share the same optimism about the game as you, but I agree with all the rest

Now, I don't remember Escapist being this nerdy one or two years ago. If that's 'video game culture' now (or back again?), sorry, I'm out. I don't wanna live with this kind of childish attitude.

[*] Don't waste time pointing out that there was the charity thing. I don't care. The point is that the Escapist has been in a downward spiral of negativity, nerdy sarcasm and snobbish attitutes in its articles lately - stuff that only reinforce the worst stereotypes about gaming, stuff that Extra Credits always defended we should avoid.

It's 'fanboy mentality'. I'm not necessarily criticizing it (after all, I am a self-admitted Persona/Atlus fanboy). But yeah, it should be recognized for it is. It's when games/lore becomes more than games, and starts to become personalized emotionally

Greg Tito:

By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material.

Woah! And I thought I was protective of Star Wars.
Dude, it's a commercial that makes a fair attempt to be funny. Chill.

fabiosooner:

RewardMe:

Yeah, I agree. The snobbery levels have increased quite a lot recently.
I already voiced my annoyance at how fanboy-esque it is that The Escapist always, without fail, has a jab at the prequels in some way, no matter what Star Wars thing they are writing the article about.

OT: Yeah, it's a bad advert. But not because of 'poking fun of a sacred scene'. It was just unfunny, didn't have any gameplay in it, and made little to no sense.

Fuck it, just give us Battlefront 3, more Clone Wars, and a Force Unleashed sequel that does the first one justice. Now that was a game that made you feel like a badass Force-user.

Ok, the "Swing and a miss" part was funny, but this ad shows absolutely nothing about the game itself. Also, why would they show parts of the movies that wont EVER be in the game?

Seems like they know that this game will be fail and are trying to improve their chances by making cool ads.

Captain Pirate:

I already voiced my annoyance at how fanboy-esque it is that The Escapist always, without fail, has a jab at the prequels in some way, no matter what Star Wars thing they are writing the article about

Yeah, well, I would settle for decapitation, but as that is physically out of the question, the prequels deserve all the jabs they can get.

And then they shall burn in hell.

It was pretty lame all right, but it made me chuckle a bit in some places, especially at the end.
Also, please, in my opinion, this was no different than the millions of parodies out there.

I actually thought it was pretty funny. Terrible advertisement, but funny.

Bad day, Greg? You're talking about that scene like they insulted your religi...

... Oh, shit, are you a Jedi?

I thought it was funny. In a very screwed up way, but still.

DVS BSTrD:
As big a joke as the Kinnect itself.

But it does explain a lot. Obi-Wan died due to the hardware's lag.

I thought it was dumb.

I don't even have an xbox but if I did I still wouldn't buy this game...or a Kinect.

Captain Pirate:

fabiosooner:

RewardMe:

I already voiced my annoyance at how fanboy-esque it is that The Escapist always, without fail, has a jab at the prequels in some way, no matter what Star Wars thing they are writing the article about.

OT: Yeah, it's a bad advert. But not because of 'poking fun of a sacred scene'. It was just unfunny, didn't have any gameplay in it, and made little to no sense.

Fuck it, just give us Battlefront 3, more Clone Wars, and a Force Unleashed sequel that does the first one justice. Now that was a game that made you feel like a badass Force-user.

Dude, the Star Wars prequels were horrible. I might have gone a bit overboard with my language re: this meaningless trailer, but at its core Star Wars Kinect is everything I dislike about what Star Wars has become. How is that "nerdy" or "childish"?

Greg

Chill out, as far as ads that have nothing to do with gameplay go, that wasn't bad at all. Found it fairly amusing even.

Too bad I still don't have any actual interest in the game nor Kinect, but I approve of that commercial.

Greg Tito:

Captain Pirate:

fabiosooner:

Dude, the Star Wars prequels were horrible. I might have gone a bit overboard with my language re: this meaningless trailer, but at its core Star Wars Kinect is everything I dislike about what Star Wars has become. How is that "nerdy" or "childish"?

Greg

Because of this quote:

Your issue with the commercial has jack shit to do with the game itself. I'm not saying the game will be good, it will almost definitely be a horrid pile of bantha poodoo, but come on. "Sacred"?

You're honestly coming off as a pissed of nerdy, childish fanboy. Which I KNOW you're not, you're a cool guy. It's just, I would never be so offended by people making a parody of a scene from my favorite scenes from my favorite universes, and it's pretty disconcerting to see a professional act that way over a damn commercial.

Think of it this way- would you have reacted as negatively to it if it was just a skit someone made online?

What your singular hope of selling a game (and probably a Kinect to go with it) is fanboys with disposable income who will buy anything with Star Wars on the label, prolly not a good idea to "defile" a "sacred scene."

I don't really care, I don't deify Star Wars like some people, but they know who their buyers for this crap are gonna be: adult fanboys who take this stuff far too seriously and their children and they just pissed on both of them with this ad.

I actually thought it was kinda funny. Awkward but funny.

And absolutely no one with a brain ever really had a desire play this game, especially if they saw the gameplay at E3 last year. Really, what the fuck was that shit? Just hand out Battlefront 3 and a decent addition to the Force Unleashed games.

It looks like a homemade youtube video.

Poor Star Wars fans, like myself.

I must admit that I laughed at "swing and a miss!"

fabiosooner:

Well it seems the trend continues for the readers as well.

Don't act all high and mighty just because you watched EC. If you really were a fan of the show, you would preach what you speak. If anything, you're the one (well, yes this article was a bit... low) enforcing the stereotype here.

Also, get over the EC thing.

Anyway on topic:

I don't see what the big deal is, I found the trailer to be very amusing and I'm a hardcore star fan (who also liked the prequels).

I won't judge the game yet (as you said, no gameplay footage) until some more is revealed about it.

Until then, my the force be with this game.

ZeroMachine:

Greg Tito:

Captain Pirate:

Greg

Because of this quote:

Your issue with the commercial has jack shit to do with the game itself. I'm not saying the game will be good, it will almost definitely be a horrid pile of bantha poodoo, but come on. "Sacred"?

You're honestly coming off as a pissed of nerdy, childish fanboy. Which I KNOW you're not, you're a cool guy. It's just, I would never be so offended by people making a parody of a scene from my favorite scenes from my favorite universes, and it's pretty disconcerting to see a professional act that way over a damn commercial.

Think of it this way- would you have reacted as negatively to it if it was just a skit someone made online?

I believe his issue with it revolves around the fact that it WASN'T made by some random guy on the internet, but rather someone who actually has the authority to officially release such a video with LucasArt's blessing. That's the way I see it anyway.

I quite liked the trailer. Stupid humour and covering a scene I remember well (but don't hold sacred - wtf escapist?). As a trailer it fails on one angle because it doesn't show any gameplay but it does raise awareness of the game.

Read this article and immediately thought of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeAjISBb2U

"I got that nerd rage!"

Was pretty cute ... for a youtube video. If someone showed it to me I'd think it was a fan's amusing spoof of a well known scene.

Doesn't make me want to buy the game though ...

Captain Pirate:

oh I agree, all the way. hell just give us a port of one Battlefield for starters...or Republic Commandos
Force Unleashed 2 played better than ever, but the story made me want to eat my controller in agony =.=

Greg needs to cheer the fuck up and laugh a little.
We're obviously not gonna buy it, but you know you'd honestly do the same thing if you had the chance.

Trolling Vader is funny stuff.

It was kind of funny. I think they took the best direction as far as the tone of the commercial goes. Let's face it, if they were being 100% serious then we would have made even more fun of them.

But..goddamn it Lucas!! Stop trying to re-invent the glory days back when Star Wars was actually good. I'm sick of this! Every movie, EVERY game is playing off the scenes and emotions felt in the original trilogy. It's just tiring at this point, I've lost all interest in Star Wars and I'm fed up of trying to ignore all the shitty products and pretend it's still an I.P with some dignity behind it.

Not to mention the "Kinect" (God, I hate the way that's spelt) is just a lame gimmick that needs to die, now. Standing up and waving around pretending you have a lightsaber might be cool for the first 10minutes but let's just be honest, after not too long it's gonna be annoying.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here