Wastelander Panda Gleefully Blends Pandas And Post-Apocalypse Action

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wastelander Panda Gleefully Blends Pandas And Post-Apocalypse Action

You know you're in for a good time when you've got a panda bear wandering the wasteland, swinging a machete.

Let's be honest about something: Pandas probably don't sit too high up on your list of who's going to survive the apocalypse. That may change after you watch this trailer for Wastelander Panda, which seems to be channelling Mad Max, Kung Fu Panda and The Book of Eli.

The trailer was created by Epic Films, an independent film group out of Australia. According to the company's description, this is the prologue for a TV series it's currently in the process of developing, but further details are pretty hard to find at the moment.

If this video featured a regular dude making his way through the wasteland, I'm not sure I'd be quite so entertained by it. Sure, the photography is lovely anyway, and the voice-over is nice, but the presence of an anthropomorphic panda bear is what really crafts the mystery that you want to investigate.

Source: Epic Films via Geeks Are Sexy

What...the...hell?

Why not, if it's like The Road meets Road Warriors with a panda, I'm down with it.

If that's in Australia, that poor guy in the panda suit must be sweating buckets the whole time we're watching this.

Why is it always little groups like this that take crazy concepts and make them cool? Big groups take an idea like cowboys and aliens and turn it into shallow schlock watered down so people who can't think too hard without hurting themselves can watch it.

I'm all for the panda purifying it's water but where does it find bamboo?

Also, who would ever fuck with a panda holding a machete?

And, while I'm at it, who the hell would wear a Panda outfit in the Australian Outback to film this?

I wouldn't say it "gleefully" does so, I didn't expect it would be so...serious. But somehow I can take it serious. It's weird but there you have it, I'm still intrigued.

....... Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. Do want. v

Gimme pandas. Serious, gritty pandas.

Looks mind-numbingly stupid to me.

I'm sure most people here will love the concept.

Monoochrom:

Aren't you just a peach. Looking to piss off the mods, are we?

vansau:

Monoochrom:

Why exactly?

Just seems like the kind of thing people here will like. I think it looks stupid.

Edit: Also, I am obviously a Cherry you rusty pile of scrap metal.

I usually hate stuff like that but... it looks so... fantastic!

I'm shocked. I actually want to know what's going on. How in the FUCK is there a talking Liam Neeson panda? What happened to the world to allow that?

How the fuck do they expect to fight a fuckin' bear?

Is Jack Black going to make a cameo?

I want to see this. So bad.

This is what will happen if Bethesda joins up with Blizzard to make the Fallout MMO.

Sixcess:
This is what will happen if Bethesda joins up with Blizzard to make the Fallout MMO.

...I'm okay with this.

You know, this honestly doesn't look half bad. I figured it was gonna be a comedy of sorts, but strangely enough, It's grown on me. There was this crappy Disney move called G-Force awhile back. Let me get to the point: Secret. Agent. Guinea pigs. I could not take that shit seriously, mainly because of how seriously it acted. I didn't get that feeling with this. It just looks cool to me and like there's a lot I'm missing that I want to find out about. I have to watch this and see this panda's story play out.

Though I've noticed that in apocalyptic settings,the locals tend to go for the guy who looks the most out of place. This panda is gonna have a hard time.

If Pandas have voices like that, how the hell DO they manage to keep from procreating?
And that's coming from a strait man!

Monoochrom:

vansau:

Monoochrom:

Why exactly?

Just seems like the kind of thing people here will like. I think it looks stupid.

Edit: Also, I am obviously a Cherry you rusty pile of scrap metal.

Either way, your attitude is the pits

HobbesMkii:
If that's in Australia, that poor guy in the panda suit must be sweating buckets the whole time we're watching this.

You should have seen him when he pulled the suit off at the end of the day. Looked like he'd been drowned. He was real trooper while I was on set though. Got up to all sorts of antics between takes. Kung-fu panda has nothing on this creature.

A comedic movie, or the next World of Warcraft update?

haha go to any outback/rural part of Auatralia and its not hard to find somthing that looks post apocalyptic, theres plenty of old rustes machinery lying around on any farm (most ive been to anyhow)

Wow.

I was honestly expecting some cool Fallout mod that let you be a panada. But this? This is just fantastic, I shall have to investigate further in the near future.

There are few trailers that have piqued my interest as much as this one. I'm impressed at how the movements of the bloke in the suit and the photography (not to mention that fantastic voice over) made such a silly concept so serious.

Fuckin awesome. Absolutely fuckin awseome.

ok i am not a big fan of pandas (they obviously want to be extinct, just let them) but this looks awesome. I also like that he left the children it always bugs me when wasteland survival is interrupted by stupid heroics

That's Pandaria, after the next WoW expansion hits and the land is pillaged by the hordes of night elf hunters and blood elf paladins...

I too am sure there's gotta be potential in the Fallout style of TV show, a few small groups have made interesting trailers and I'm sure there's a potential audience.

My only misgiving at present, is the panda mask, if it's like a simple mascot head, then facial expressions are going to be very limited, and that's a big drawback for a lead character.

Having said that, 'V for Vendetta'. Get the right actor and no problem.

SnakeoilSage:
Why is it always little groups like this that take crazy concepts and make them cool? Big groups take an idea like cowboys and aliens and turn it into shallow schlock watered down so people who can't think too hard without hurting themselves can watch it.

Because, as I said in a TV threasd about Sherlock today, the whole basis of commissioning a new TV series isn't about getting the best, it's about getting the most popular, and you can find something that'll mildly distract 10 million people, that makes it twice as good as a show that'll have 5 million rabid fans transfixed for an hour each week.

If it's 'different' or 'weird' or even, dare I say it, 'niche' then there's no money or ad revenue in it.

This is why I'm pleased the BBC is as big as it is, sure it makes some bloody awful stuff imo, but because it has a few digital niche channels, it also manages to come up with stuff like QI for not much money and, when it finds popularity, can move it to mainstream TV.

On commercial TV, QI would have had no chance against Celebrity Cooking for Abandoned Puppies ... on Ice. (and I realise I've killed my own argument by making that sound interesting! )

teebeeohh:
ok i am not a big fan of pandas (they obviously want to be extinct, just let them) but this looks awesome. I also like that he left the children it always bugs me when wasteland survival is interrupted by stupid heroics

Ah I read that scene as him leaving some of the food behind as he knew there were children there. Just goes to show how differently people can view a scene :)

I'm kind of with you on pandas tho. All they need to do to survive as a species is fuck, and most species quite like doing that without being 'helped'. In all truth, aren't we just trying to save them because they're cute? There's thousands of types of beetles and weird little bugs going extinct, but you won't see them getting a charity, but it's all about us in the end, and what we judge to be worthy of life.

We gave you some extra bamboo, a mate, and a Barry White CD, now if you still don't wanna fuck, enjoy your life, but don't expect us to keep pushing, if you won't :D

That was surprising, I was all ready to laugh at that costume that wouldn't even fool a 5 year old, but damn they do the atmosphere well.
I want to see this shindig right now!

flipping heck.. fallout with pandas :-| and it looks good

panda war.. panda war never changes

ill stop now

I give it 3 weeks until a New Vegas mod crops up.

teebeeohh:

he could have at least thrown them a can or somthing (mabye he did)

it actually kind of disturbed me...

Vault101:

teebeeohh:

he could have at least thrown them a can or somthing (mabye he did)

it actually kind of disturbed me...

well it was kinda my inner cynic talking there because the kids are dead. no matter what he does short of taking them with him will really help them. If he takes them with him he will die too. The only reason for him to leave them food would be so we like him more and i can really appreciate them not doing this.

Wut? Seriously, wut?! Ok, this looks too awesome to exist, and I think they're trolling us... Hope not though. PLEASE BE REAL!

If this is being shown in the U.S., there is a 112.547% chance that I will watch it.

This looks pretty awesome. I forsee many Fallout mods in the near future.

vansau:

Monoochrom:

How about both of you go take your schoolyard fight somewhere else.

OT: Sweet! A gritty post apocalyptic show with some WTF added in. Gotta love indie film makers.

It sort of reminds me of Gamma World, but in a cool way.

It shouldn't be this awesome. But it is. This is what would happen if studio Gainax made a post apocalypse film. Hell yeah.

Monoochrom:

'If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.'

OP:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
This is weird and unexpected.
I will be following the progress of this... thing.
fuckingpandaswhat?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or