Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

In an effort to discover what's going on with Half-Life, the Call for Communication Steam Group is asking the entire internet to play some Half-Life 2 this weekend.

When last we heard from Dr. Gordon Freeman and the gang, there was a fan, the shit was hitting it, and it was 2007. 2007, people! That's over four years ago! I can't even bring myself to make an "episodic" joke at this point, but I do wish I had some idea what Valve was up to with the franchise. So do a lot of other gamers out there, many of whom have come together in the Call for Communication (Half-Life) Steam Group, dedicated to digging up the truth.

"The entire trilogy of episodes was supposed to be completed and released by 2007, and if Valve have decided to do other things for the time being, that is fine," the group's profile says. "All that we ask for is a basic response on the matter, and to let fans know whether or not the current story arc is scheduled to conclude at another point in time."

But asking nicely about these things never goes anywhere, so the HL-CFC has come up with a Plan B: playing the crap out of Half-Life 2 this weekend to remind Valve that there's still a lot of love for the game. The "Red Letter Day" begins at 2:00 pm EST on February 4 and runs until everyone gets tired of playing and decides to go do something else.

It's a brilliant idea. Getting out and marching in the streets is a serious hassle, but firing up a game on Steam? That's something that a lot of us will probably be doing anyway. Whether or not it will do any good is an entirely different matter but at this point it certainly can't hurt, and with over 36,000 members, Valve might actually sit up and take notice.

Feel like helping out, or just playing some HL2 on Saturday? Head over the Call for Communication (Half-Life) group on Steam, put your name on the page and get ready to kill for the truth!

I may be looking at this the wrong way. But if I was at Valve, I would just look at this and think to myself;

"Well, they still must like our last Half Life game if they all want to play it so much. Maybe we'll delay HL2:E3 for another 3 months"

And then I'd put on my best troll-face.

Does it matter which version of HL2 we play? I always wanted to send that little gnome to space.

If this 'protest' goes off without a hitch and we still don't hear anything from valve I might just die a little on the inside.

well,why not? you can never play too much half-life

DAMMIT I just completed HL2 again last week-end...

...maybe I can do the episodes?

Might as well take a break from being a Vampire in California/Conquering feudal Japan for a few hours to be a world saving physicist.

I'll do it, but I am 100% sure it wont work.

The only way Valve will release info on HL3 is when they're finally ready OR if someone goes as far as domestic terrorism.

I'm in, at least for an hour or two. I wonder if this'll work...

Hm, well i may as well jump in. Its not like im doing much else other than Renegade X: Black Dawn this weekend.

Also that game information panel, it lists Gearbox as the developer for Half Life.

gigastar:
Hm, well i may as well jump in. Its not like im doing much else other than Renegade X: Black Dawn this weekend.

Also that game information panel, it lists Gearbox as the developer for Half Life.

That may be because they did develop a couple of the expansions for Half Life 1, I think. Still odd though.

Anyway, do Xbox 360 owners count, cos I'll join in on The Orange Box if it means we get some information about Episode 3

Private Freeman reporting for duty...There are also several thousand Freeman's behind me sir...and one Judith Mossman.

Well I was planning on playing again soon anyway so why not? At least I'm not being asked to play a terrible game for a good cause.

Yeah cause the petition for Dark Souls will work *schoof*, so this will too. Yeah Gabe will go, 'thanks for the support etc', but won't follow up on it.
Valve already knows how pissed we are about the whole kerfufflell, or however you spell it, but sorry to be a wet rag, this isn't gonna make much difference. Cause I only have the PS3 port, lol

I only just finished playing HL2 about a week ago, and its not something I wish to do again.

As much as I hate leaving stories unfinished I dont...........screw it, no, one play through was enough for me.

Whatever happens, Gabe be trollin'.

Sure, i'm up for that. Playing Half Life 2 again is no bad thing. PLEASE GABE, HAVE MERCY!

Count me in. I haven't even ever finished HL2, or any of the episodes for that matter. This'll be good both for me and for the community to let Valve know we are still waiting, even almost five years later. It's not like I'll have anything better to do.

So, why not?

Cool. I've been looking for an excuse to play HL2 again!

Tree man:
Private Freeman reporting for duty...There are also several thousand Freeman's behind me sir...and one Judith Mossman.

Hmm...I don't trust her. Something about her just seems....off. Can't put my finger on it. It's like she might:

And of course, this little news item comes along just a week or so after I played through the entire Half-Life series again. (as I tend to do with some of my favorite games every so often)

But hey, if you people are gonna "twist my arm", I guess I can begrudgingly play through one of them again. If I HAVE to.

(read with a heavy does of sarcasm)

The_root_of_all_evil:

Whatever happens, Gabe be trollin'.

At this point I think it's less "trolling" and more a hobby.

Or hell, knowing Gaben, he probably found a way to turn it into a lucrative business venture.

>mfw I'm already doing a 3rd playthrough of it
convenient XD

The difference between EST and CET is pretty big. I'd have to play through the night to stay on schedule.

I have no idea whether this will work or not, but it won't hurt to try. Also, Valve is a very democratic company, there is no hierarchy there, except that Gabe Newell is at the top and has the last word. If Valve employees want to do something, it's going to happen. It's obvious in various interviews that Gabe actually wants to talk about Half-Life anyway, I don't think he'd interfere if enough employees decided to talk about it. I can imagine that something like this might evoke emotions in some Valve employees.

Compared to, for example, the L4D boycott group, this is a much better and more polite way to convey a message. This is really the best way to do it, it doesn't involve spam, threats or anything else stupid and immature. And Valve responded to the L4D2 boycott group, so why not here?

Perfect timing!, I don't mind finishing the entire Half-Life 2 games again, I was planning to do it sometime anyways.

Even if Valve won't notice, it's still a good enough excuse to play the games again, it's been a while.

This will not work. Way to go planners. You only planned the protest on the same weekend as the largest sporting event in America. The Superbowl. If Gabe even notices this, he's going to feel bad, but he still won't change the way information is handled by them. Nothing to see here folks. Keep it moving.

Would it not make more sense to NOT play any Half-life. By playing it they are basically saying yeah we love it, and will still play it, so there is no need for a new one. But by not playing it they are saying to valve, your games no fun anymore, give us a new one.

As for Half Life 3 or 2 episode 3 or 3 episode 1 or whatever the hell will be next, I don't really care...

This should probably give me good reason to actually do my homework before the weekend.

Huh, this happens just after I reinstalled Episode 1 and 2 for a replay anyway. How coincidental.

The Last Nomad:
Would it not make more sense to NOT play any Half-life. By playing it they are basically saying yeah we love it, and will still play it, so there is no need for a new one. But by not playing it they are saying to valve, your games no fun anymore, give us a new one.

But by not playing it, well, that wouldn't even get noticed at all. It's not like they're choking Valve's wallet or something. Valve could just chalk it up to a weekend where not as many people played Half-Life as they usually have.

At E3 in june:

"I know a lot of you have been wanting this for a while now, and I'm sorry that we've kept so quiet about it, but I am glad that I can finally announce... LEFT 4 DEAD 3!"

Yes, let's push and force this for years so we end up with another gigantic let down due to our own nostalgic and incredibly unrealistic expectations. Joy!

Having said that, I've been struggling to get through the Half-Life games for myself, so I doubt a user group on Steam is gonna generate anymore motivation in that regard.

Bradeck:
This will not work. Way to go planners. You only planned the protest on the same weekend as the largest sporting event in America. The Superbowl. If Gabe even notices this, he's going to feel bad, but he still won't change the way information is handled by them. Nothing to see here folks. Keep it moving.

So? Outside the US, people couldn't care less about the Superbowl.

OT: I joined the group and glad I finally have an excuse to make my achievements playthrough.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
I'll do it, but I am 100% sure it wont work.

The only way Valve will release info on HL3 is when they're finally ready OR if someone goes as far as domestic terrorism.

Now THERE'S an idea. Anyone up for Batmanning the Valve HQ? No killing, but I just want to bust in on Gabe's office and ask the man face to face if they ever plan on finishing the game that made them famous.

I'm gonna play it. I was livestreaming a blind Let's Play of HL2 anyway, but after getting a new PC I lost my progress. This gives me the perfect opportunity AND motivation to start my LP from scratch, albeit as a semi-blind LP (up to a point, at least)...

Andy Chalk:

It's a brilliant idea. Getting out and marching in the streets is a serious hassle, but firing up a game on Steam? That's something that a lot of us will probably be doing anyway.

Well, I am in the midst of - playing through it f-f-for the first time, - so I will mossst certainly be making - S-Saturday a date for Misssster Freeman.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here