Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

TimeLord:
I may be looking at this the wrong way. But if I was at Valve, I would just look at this and think to myself;

"Well, they still must like our last Half Life game if they all want to play it so much. Maybe we'll delay HL2:E3 for another 3 months"

And then I'd put on my best troll-face.

Now known as the Gabeface, due to the ridiculous amount of trolling Valve does.

OlasDAlmighty:

SirBryghtside:
DAMMIT I just completed HL2 again last week-end...

...maybe I can do the episodes?

I know how you feel. I just got done beating HL2 and both episodes only a few days ago. Sigh, it's a good thing I love the shit out of these games.

Mods

It'll still register as playing Half Life 2 in the steam-stats.

Well I will do it. Haven't played Half life 2 in a long while so I guess I'll begin now.

So with my timezone being UTC+1 I guess that would mean that I'd have to play at 18:00 ? ._.
Forgive me. I stink at Time Zone related calculations...

How I'll feel when I boot up Half-Life 2 this weekend:

Well, this is the problem with popular series that are designed in an episodic format, despite the fire initially, there is no guarantee that any creative team is going to be able to keep that fire stoked all the way until the end, and if the team can't work without that fire? well the fans who committed are left wanting.

To be kind of honest, with all of the conjecture about G-man and a lot of the other wierdness in the series, I kind of suspect that Valve was making stuff up as they went along, and really didn't have an overall plan in mind for a lot of it. I've long suspected the delay on episode 3 is because... despite all claims... they really have no idea on how to finish this up in a way that will satisfy all of the fans.

To be honest these are the kinds of problems that happen in creative industries, and yet are never acknowleged. You don't see a company say "well, we don't care about the creative property that made us anymore, and can't get motivated" or "we kind of wrote ourselves into a corner and can't finish things in any way that will satisfy us", there might be an exception somewhere but it pretty much doesn't happen.

On a lot of levels I'm sort of glad I'm not a shooter fan who got invested in Half-Life... that lack of investment let's me voice concerns that I think are in everyone's minds at this point but they really don't want to contemplate.

Hopefully (for those who play the series) Gabe will shut me down (lol) by immediatly announcing a solid release date for "Episode 3" but I kind of doubt it.

Also on a final note, I think Zombie-Mania still isn't dead yet despite all logic governing trends. Like it or not, "Left 4 Dead 3" would probably be a wiser business move from a pure money making perspective than releasing "Episode 3". Especially seeing as I don't think anyone has yet to actually make the definitive Zombie Apocolypse game... but Valve seems to hav come the closes which is why so many people seem to be trying to copy their formula. Dead Island owed a lot to how Left 4 Dead was set up.

Last time I attempted to play HL2 the game froze up right when I was done with the intro stuff. The lack of auto-saves made me have to replay it, so I haven't felt like restarting it since then.
Still don't.
Sorry.

Already joined that group a week ago! Neat... Anyway, I'll be there with bells on bitches! I've been wanting to play HL2 again for a while anyhow. Not to mention I can't wait to see the look on my girlfriends face when I say "I can't. I have to attend a mass Half Life 2 protest. [pause] That's right, I'm going to sit here and play Half Life 2. [pause] I don't care if the tickets are non refundable!"

I keep trying to replay Half-Life 2, and I can't get more than an hour into it before I get sick of it. I only finished it once, and I can't stand it. But in the spirit of unity, I might play Opposing Force for the 10th time.

I'm not that much of a Half-Life fan (Played 2 onwards, was a'ight.), but I've always found Valve not working on anything Half-Life related kinda bullshit. I remember years ago they said they were going to work on Ep 3 and nothing else. Since that statement, they released Team Fortress 2, Portal 1/2, Left 4 Dead 1/2 and whatever else they've done since then...

Either EP3/Half-Life 3 is going to come out and be the best FPS in a decade...or it's going to go the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

I'd like to play HL2 again, so I'll join in, but seriously, this "demand" by the fans is ridiculous IMO. Yes, it's a big cliff hanger of a game we love. But the last thing you want to do with Valve is push them. Even people unfamiliar with certain TF2 updates should be familiar with the L4D2 resonance.

I really want them to do something big and influential with their next HL installment, so as long as they can deliver that, they can have all the time in the world as far as I care.

hmm......I might just do this. I haven't played Half-Life 2 in a while and if it helps (Which it probably won't) It'd at least get our voice out that the community still loves Half Life

I won't be playing HL2 (don't have it) but I think I'll play some Half-Life or Sven Coop to support this in some way. :)

TLS14:

Zen Toombs:
Hmm, well I don't have Steam. Is there any result from playing it on the Xbox?

I'd imagine that there wouldn't be. As the creators of Steam, Valve has direct access to see what people are playing on the platform at any given time. AFAIK, the Xbox 360 (or original Xbox, if you bought that version) doesn't offer that sort of functionality.

Panorama:
I didn't think it was asking for Half life Episode 3 or Half life 3. I thought it was just asking Valve to tell us something. even if it is go and fuck off, just nice to hear from them. and i found this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34147052/ARedLetterDay.png

Why such a short timeframe? A half hour isn't really going to catch much attention, in my opinion. Why can't the full Saturday be this whole "Red Letter Day" thing?

Honestly i don't know i was looking at the group and someone made the poster and posted it on the group. So i thought i would share it. So im not sure but im planning on playing for longer then half an hour.

I'll definitely join. I have yet to get most of the Achievements anyway.

Can we join in on 360 too?

I always like any excuse to play HL2.

Put it on sale again and I will.

I like this group, (and am a member,) because really that's all we want. We're not demanding that Valve release the next Half Life game, no-one's angry that it's taken so long. It's just that Valve have been so very tight-lipped about everything, not even giving the vaguest of hints. The only ones we've had are from regular folk who are going so stir-crazy that they start their own rumours. We trust Valve, we know this franchise means more to them then it does to its fans, we are confident that whatever they are doing it will be for the best. But it's got to the stage that it's become a little frustrating, even a little insulting.

We don't even need to hear anything about the game, just a little explanation about why they're being so closed off about it. I've drawn my own conclusion about it; given the extensive re-vamping, re-imagining and re-designing that goes on in Valve productions, (remember that TF2 started life in gritty realism,) I think Valve are going through the same thing to make sure it's the best they can make it. I mean as great as 2, E1 and E2 were there were some things that have become dated and ill-fitting. This would involve a lot of tearing down and starting over which is why a progress report wouldn't really mean anything. But a little communication would be appreciated, even if it wouldn't really mean anything. Basically a pat on the head and a soothing "there there, everything will be alright".

As to the weekend thing it's a good idea but I don't think I'll be near my PC this weekend. Oh well.

Oh god. This is probably going to cause even more of those terribly repetitive "WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HL2?!?!?!?!?!" threads that people keep making. Seriously getting tired of those now.

Hmm. I'm not too fussed about when HL3 comes out, but it's an excuse to play HL2 again. Not that I need an excuse, it's a brilliant game.

I don't understand the logic of this...
What are they trying to prove? They are going to give Valve some extra money (the ones that don't have HL2 on steam, at least) and play one of their games to COMPLAIN about another game? Wouldn't it be more effective NOT to play their games?

This would work really well, It demonstrates how many existing Steam customers are still into a franchise that's only seen fan service for the last several years.

They'd have to be mad not to make Ep3 and then get the next one promised and delivered to freak people out. It'd build tremendous loyalty.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
I'll do it, but I am 100% sure it wont work.

The only way Valve will release info on HL3 is when they're finally ready OR if someone goes as far as domestic terrorism.

Valve don't negotiate with terrorists.

Astoria:
Has anyone considered that they're delaying it BECAUSE of things like this? They know people want it really bad so they're taking their time and making sure it's perfect. There are plenty of other games out there to play while you wait. Anyway, I doubt this will get any responce from Valve.

We don't want them to release it, we just want to know if they're still working on it.

OT: Sign me the hell up.

Treblaine:

Fijiman:
I would love to join if I had Steam and weren't going to be busy playing Iron Brigade for the rest of the week. Although I personally think that Valve is waiting for the next generation of consoles to be released before they release anything Half-Life related, which is a trollish move, but at least it's understandable.

Consoles? Valve?

Consoles have always gotten Valve's ports from PC focused development.

If Valve are developing a game with graphical fidelity a whole generation ahead of Xbox 360 well hardware capable of that is ALREADY on the market for PC gamers! Half Life 2 pushed the boundary for graphical fidelity and didn't max out on home consoles till 3 years after release in 2007 when it was released for the second time on Xbox 360.

Similar with Team Fortress 2 playable and worth playing across a wide range of hardware capability from a single core based and DX8 graphics card up to a hex-core DX11 rig.

So if Valve are making a game that has maximum settings way higher than an Xbox 360 they can just release the game now have mid-low settings for Xbox 360 release then when Third Xbox is released have HL3 get a release taking full advantage of that tech. In them mean time PC gamers can play it at max settings.

Sorry, I'm used to thinking with the console in mind because that's what I use for gaming and I don't have a computer that I could trust for gaming.

Marik Bentusi:
I'd like to play HL2 again, so I'll join in, but seriously, this "demand" by the fans is ridiculous IMO. Yes, it's a big cliff hanger of a game we love. But the last thing you want to do with Valve is push them. Even people unfamiliar with certain TF2 updates should be familiar with the L4D2 resonance.

I really want them to do something big and influential with their next HL installment, so as long as they can deliver that, they can have all the time in the world as far as I care.

That's exactly what this group wants. The last thing we want is Valve to rush the next game.
The group just wants more communication with Half-Lfie fans. Valve is a company known to communicate a lot with its customers. They even say that communications with their customers is one of the most important things for them. For some reason they don't talk at all with Half-Life fans and this groups would like to improve that.
It's not a demand or something like that, we're perfectly fine with Valve making other games and taking a long time, we won't stop playing their games.
We just want to be acknowledged.

DonMelpomene:
So with my timezone being UTC+1 I guess that would mean that I'd have to play at 18:00 ? ._.
Forgive me. I stink at Time Zone related calculations...

You can just look at the time in the Steamgroup. It's automatically converted to your local Timezone on Steam.

This is about a thousand times cooler than the "send Valve a crowbar!" campaign. That was dangerous.

As much as I think Valve is playing it close to their chest for a reason, it has been a loooong time and I do think they perhaps owe it to the fans that more or less started them out to say at the LEAST that the game actually exists. Valve aren't dumb, but they are coy, and it's about time they laid their cards on the table for those of us who have been following the Half-Life series to see. ...I know Valve don't REALLY "owe" anyone anything, they aren't even obliged to do anything. But it really would show those who have been patiently waiting that they haven't put to waste their faith in the series.

Well I will be joining them on my PS3 if that matters at all although if its not to expensive I might just pick it up.

Pinkamena:
At E3 in june:

"I know a lot of you have been wanting this for a while now, and I'm sorry that we've kept so quiet about it, but I am glad that I can finally announce... LEFT 4 DEAD 3!"

Don't even joke! I was livid when bloody L4D2 was released only a YEAR after L4D and yet NOTHING was mentioned about HL3 and/or Episode 3.

OT: I think just the sheer amount of people who have commented saying that they have just finished or were planning to play Half Life 2 anyway, is proof enough that there is still a lot of love for this franchise.

Why Valve has abandoned its flagship title and her fans in such a manner is a mystery that has baffled me for a long time. Then they go and tease us by sticking little hints in Portal 2. Crafty bastards...

At first I was royally pissed off that they ended on such an incredible cliffhanger with no word as to what to expect. At this point though, I just don't care anymore. Hell, I probably won't even pick it up on release, if it ever gets that.

You know, I guess this makes HL3 the new DNF.

So good job Valve, you managed to go from a great developer into a joke in my eyes. Your games may be fun to play, but your community support for your franchises is absolutely atrocious.

Proverbial Jon:

Why Valve has abandoned its flagship title and her fans in such a manner is a mystery that has baffled me for a long time. Then they go and tease us by sticking little hints in Portal 2. Crafty bastards...

Maybe they are not and it is simply people seeing faces in clouds.

Panorama:

TLS14:
Why such a short timeframe? A half hour isn't really going to catch much attention, in my opinion. Why can't the full Saturday be this whole "Red Letter Day" thing?

Honestly i don't know i was looking at the group and someone made the poster and posted it on the group. So i thought i would share it. So im not sure but im planning on playing for longer then half an hour.

Well, the person who made the poster is a bit of a derp in my opinion, then. Nonetheless, I'll give up a day of Skyrim in order to participate. I want information too, dammit.

Yup, Valve are definitely "avin a larf" with this whole episodic gaming thing. But to be honest, and I know I'mma be broiled alive for saying this, I'd rather have had Portal 2 than HL2E3 last year. Go figure.

By the by, is it just me that gets creeped out by the G-Man? He scary. Very scary.

YodaUnleashed:
I don't Valve needs reminding that people love half-life and can't wait for more. It would be nice to at least get a confirmation that the next thing to be released after DOTA 2 will be half-life whatever at this point, or if it isn't going to be then at least a confirmation that something is in the works.

Actually, they already revealed what's after Dota 2. It's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Set to release this summer.

That said, they literally have nothing "officially" slated after that point. And I do mean nothing. They've been rather mum about anything after Dota 2 and CS:GO. Even in regards to DLC and updates.

Tack on Gaben saying something about showing off "something with a three in it" at E3 this year, and who knows. Maybe they will be showing Half-Life 3. Or a new engine. Or a new IP.

Though, despite what some people have been saying, I really don't see them revealing a Team Fortress 3 or a Left 4 Dead 3. Seeing as TF2 just went F2P and the fiasco with L4D2, I don't see it happening.

guidance:
Sorry guys I can't join you this weekend, I haven't beaten half-life 1 yet.

So then...play Half-Life 1 instead? I'd assume it doesn't really matter which one you're playing.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
Is there anything more obnoxious than a HL fan?
For fucks sake people. Valve knows theres a market for HL, they have not scrapped the franchise, they clearly are going to release it at some point. Can we please just have a couple months without everyone fucking whining about it?
I honestly hope to god that Gabe delays it on purpose just for everyone pissing him off over it.

Is there anything more obnoxious than a HL hater?
For fucks sake people. We know you hate the game. You've made that abundantly clear for the past EIGHT YEARS. Can we please just have a comple of months without everyone fucking whining about it?
I honestly hope to God that Gabe releases it on purpose just so we can gloat how great it is for months. Just as others did with Skyrim.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here