Prepare to Meet the Pyro

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Prepare to Meet the Pyro

It's [almost] time to Meet the Pyro!

You've met the Heavy. You've met the Scout. You've even met the Medic. You've met all the Team Fortress 2 crew, in fact, but one: the Pyro. But it appears that the long awaited moment is just about here, and that soon - actually, the word Valve used is "eventually" - we'll finally get to meet the man.

If he is a man, that is.

It's long been rumored that the world's favorite FPS firebug is in fact a member of the fairer sex and that we just haven't noticed because of the function-over-fashion outfit. I'm not aware of any actual evidence pointing to this conclusion, but Valve isn't going out of its way to cool the talk.

"Only two things are known for sure about the mysterious Pyro: he sets things on fire and he doesn't speak. In fact, only the part about setting things on fire is undisputed. Some believe his occasional rasping wheeze may be an attempt to communicate through a mouth obstructed by a filter and attached to lungs ravaged by constant exposure to his asbestos-lined suit," the Pyro class entry says. "Either way, he's a fearsome, inscrutable, on-fire Frankenstein of a man - if he even is a man."

Interesting! Valve has a few other things in the works for 2012 as well, including a top-secret TF2 project that is neither a hat nor a map [but possibly an ungodly hat-map hybrid], a Steam Workshop blog and the second annual Saxxy Awards. Read all about it at teamfortress.com!

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil for the tip.

Im betting on a Kenny style narration that won't reveal a damn thing.

I always like the "Meet the" videos. Plus more content from Valve is always a plus.

I'm going to bet that the Pyro's gender will remain ambiguous after the video though.

In b4 muffled "mhrmhr" of agreement.

I've always enjoyed these intro videos, and it's about time the pyro got his/her turn.

And just as I completed the last of the Pyro achievements. I hope the video's Pyro uses the Degreaser like I do.

I almost guarantee that they'll continue to troll us and not reveal the Pyros sex in traditional Valve troll fashion.

This article is full of lies - you forgot to account for Valve time. It'll be 2015 at the earliest :P

Oh come on Valve don't tease us that way! Great now I got something to look forward in the coming months.

The time to hesitate is through,
no time to wallow in the mire.
Try now we can only lose.
And our love become a funeral pyre.

wait what? A hat-map hybrid? Oh gawd! The demonic, unearthly, giant space hats have landed and now you have to fight across their hatty surfaces, killing all the hat-wearing lunatics!!!!! [insert screams of fear and panic]

I'm guessing something big is going to drop before we get to see the pyro, either the HL3 logo or a TF3:Hats announcement.

Sorry, hit quote instead of edit.

Judging from some of the language in their post and some stuff I heard ages ago, I already know what the secret project is.

Waaghpowa:
I almost guarantee that they'll continue to troll us and not reveal the Pyros sex in traditional Valve troll fashion.

Isn't it obvious who the Pyro is?

Monkeyman O'Brien:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I see a Pyro acting as though he/she is carrying on a detailed, lengthy interview, mrphhurphburphmurph'ing along as though all of us can understand it.

Personally I gotta say my favorite Meet The video is Meet The Sniper. "Look dad, I'm an assassin, not a crazed gunman!.....Well the difference being that one is a profession and the other is a mental disorder!"

I hope they reveal that the pyro is in fact Gordon Freeman, and that TF2 was HL(2Ep)3 all along.
Yep, you heard it from me first.

Mexican Petrol Station Attendant.

I'll say no more.

Andy Chalk:
It's long been rumored that the world's favorite FPS firebug is in fact a member of the fairer sex and that we just haven't noticed because of the function-over-fashion outfit. I'm not aware of any actual evidence pointing to this conclusion, but Valve isn't going out of its way to cool the talk.

To my knowledge, the only actual evidence is that there's a purse in Pyro's locker on the 2fort map. However, the counter-argument is that it's equally likely that Pyro is a guy, and he has a purse because he's just plain bat-shit loco.

If other evidence besides the purse exists, I don't know about it or cannot think of it off-hand. I think there's maybe a Pyro-exclusive hat that acts as evidence with the same "he's just crazy" counter-point.

It might just be too much Top Gear but I figure The Pyro is actually The Stig, or vice versa.

I expect a reasonable interview, with "Murnphurnf" being about all we hear, with documentary style italicized subtitles to tell us what s/he's saying to a commentator, who might ask a question like "and how do you respond to the claims that you're secretly a woman hiding behind the suit?" And it cuts to a shot of her blazing someone up, followed by more mumblecore, with the subtitles "I leave the question burning in their minds." or some other suitably terrible pun.

I'm not convinced that the revelation of the Pyro will be cut short by another announcement, or something. Or just 3.5 minutes of the guy/girl being interviewed and answering with those muffled words.

'Cause Valve're trolls like that.

As long as we don't find out that the Pyro is oh... I dunno... a clown or something like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eSNuQ8I2c

I think it should be an interview style Meet The

However, it's everyone else who is being interviewed. And they all say stuff about the Pyro while he runs around doing stuff in the background, occasionally with cuts to him doing stuff elsewhere.

Monkeyman O'Brien:

Yep, that's pretty much how they're going to run with it. Why I'm not entirely enthused. They know it's better to leave it all up to our imagination, because making any sort of reveal would kill the excitement and mystery built around the Pyro all these years. Nope, they're just going to write something up that will be amusing, and find ways to make us ask even more questions. Simple story telling method to keep the audience hooked.

Pyro is Abraham Lincoln who has been turned into a cyborg by Engineer's grandfather and can now live forever.

That sentence probably sounds a lot more insane and random to someone who hasn't read all of the supplementary material.

Oh god.

Oh, Oh God yes!!

Finally, Meet the Pyro! ^^ I'm already excited

Steve the Pocket:
Judging from some of the language in their post and some stuff I heard ages ago, I already know what the secret project is.

Wouldn't the fact that they already said that they would release Filmmaker after the final Meet the Team video was out preclude its status of being, you know, a secret?

Also, the spoiler tag sucks on this forum. Why can't we have the option of having a blacked out block of text that shows up when you mouse over it? The click to view method makes it impossible to spoiler only part of a sentence or paragraph without turning your post into a formatting nightmare.

My avatar is waiting patiently for that video to be finally released.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. The "Meet The" videos are the reason why I even started playing Team Fortress 2.
I also have my torch and pitchfork ready to hunt down that monstrous hat-map hybrid.

Very much exite, Toombs is. :3

I've always been a fan of Pyro, and was quite sad to discover its lack of existance when I first found the "Meet the X" videos.

People are acting like this is a final definitive thing, which of course it won't be because it would kill the mystery as others have said. Besides, I'm still waiting for meet the announcer.

Im going to guess it's going to be an april fools thing or something, either that or it'll be muffled...and doesnt learn towards one or the other gender.

Or maybe....it pulls it's mask off and reveals a Spy, then an Engineer, then a Solider and so on and so on, giving little jabs that the Pyro is either a hallucination or a ghost....?

I hope Pyro turns out be be a chick. Just to screw with everyone. It would be of great amusement to me.
That or he needs to be the most war scarred, napalm burned Vietnam Vet who went batshit crazy in the war and was MIA for 12 years until he turned up in Burma. Ya, I like the sound of that.

I'm sick of saying this!
Frankenstein is not the name of the monster, he has no name, thats the whole point!
The "Doctor", who isn't a doctor, is named Frankenstein!

OT: This is going to be the most interesting skit out of the whole lot and I don't even play this game!

Yeah, there is no way that they will reveal Pyro's gender, or much else. I mean, what would be the point? "Oh, he's male / she's female? Alright, glad that's cleared up! I am so happy that now all of our threads and arguments and analysis seem pointless and silly." People enjoy the mystery. The character is far more satisfying this way, and Valve knows that.

I suspect that the video will start out seeming to confirm one way or another, and then there will be some sort of ambiguous reversal, leaving us back where we started.

Monkeyman O'Brien:

In line with that, I'm betting it's not nearly as funny as the fan-made video on Newgrounds of "Meet the Pyro". Incidentally, I just want to ask...why the hell did they take so long?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here