The Old Republic Becomes the Fastest-Growing MMO Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Old Republic Becomes the Fastest-Growing MMO Ever

EA says Star Wars: The Old Republic is the fastest-growing subscription MMO ever, and that's good news for Origin.

Star Wars: The Old Republic has sold more than two million copies since it launched six weeks ago and now boasts a subscriber base of 1.7 million users, which Electronic Arts says makes it the fastest growing subscription-based MMO ever. And while things are often ugly in the early days of a new MMO, The Old Republic has been a relative rock of stability, with servers "available for more than 99.5 percent of the time outside of scheduled maintenance."

Some other noteworthy stats: Players have spent more than 239 million in-game hours in The Old Republic - that's more than 27,000 years of in-game time - more than 20 billion NPCs have been killed and more than 148 billion credits have been spent.

In spite of that success and the release of Rise of the Rakghouls less than a month after the game went live, BioWare is curently at work on another big update, due in spring, that will add new content, game systems and guild features. "We're actively listening to our community for ongoing feedback to help us ensure the game and service continue to improve," said BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk.

Thanks in large part to the popularity of The Old Republic, Origin, EA's digital distribution platform, is also doing quite well. Origin accounted for almost 40 percent of The Old Republic unit sales and has pulled in more than $100 million in total revenue since July 2011. More than 9.3 million users have registered for the service and while that's still just a fraction of the Steam user base, it's a pretty impressive number for a service that's been around for less than a year.

I told you so. And it turns out I was low-balling it (continuing subscriber base of 1.7 million, 2 million buys already). I really don't understand why people have been doubting the obvious success of The Old Republic.

Meh, call me in a few months. Of course everyone was gonna jump on it right away, they always do so that is absolutely nothing to brag about. The real question is if they stick around.
From what I hear of Old Republic it really aint that good so unless Bioware keeps cranking out new shit every month then I can see it flatlining very soon.

Well done then. Jolly good game, both as MMORPGS go and as games as a whole goes.

I still don't think it's got the grunt to stand up to the likes of WoW (yet?) It just fell short in my opinion, bloody close call though! Perhaps an expansion pack would tip the scales? Especially seeing as WoW's popularity is dropping as rapidly as Star Wars is growing.

Despite me being against MMO's in general (I don't want to pay a monthly fee for a game when I already have other, more pressing bills) I am sorely tempted by it. Why? Star Wars. So much of my childhood there. :/

Goes to show you that if you slap a Star Wars dress on something, the fans will lap it up... even if it is a lacklustre and generic as hell mmo.

I tell you now, if anyone but Bioware had made it, and it didnt have the SW dressing, it would of been a boring F2P mmo that would of failed.

The issue I have though is all these fans are sending out a message that basically says we will accept any rubbish as long as it has a pretty dress on, and is made by a popular developer.

:O A Bioware mmo with 'Star Wars' in the title sold well?! Of course it did, but from what I hear there isn't much end game content. Let's just see how many people stick around after a few months.

Good for EA.
Unfortunately this has validated Origin's existence, and I have no doubt this will empower EA to make even more ludicrous demands of their customers via Origin now that they knew they have a hooked marketbase.

Sigh..

Its a great game. Im a very happy subscriber to it.

The story for each character is amazing, the combat is shiny and fun to look at, the voice acting is possibly some of the best in ALL OF VIDEO GAMING HISTORY. (("Fat stack of Credits? You just said my favorite term." -Bounty Hunter))

Theres almost nothing bad i can say about it. Short of "needs more cowbell", its almost a perfect game. And im glad the sales are reflecting it.

ASnogarD:
Goes to show you that if you slap a Star Wars dress on something, the fans will lap it up... even if it is a lacklustre and generic as hell mmo.

I tell you now, if anyone but Bioware had made it, and it didnt have the SW dressing, it would of been a boring F2P mmo that would of failed.

The issue I have though is all these fans are sending out a message that basically says we will accept any rubbish as long as it has a pretty dress on, and is made by a popular developer.

Tell that to galaxies... Well more like after NGE.

Good for them I guess. If it wasn't still region locked and a subscription based MMO (I'm kinda obsessed with F2P MMOs :S), I'd may try it, just because Origin is not mandatory to play it, just to install the game.

The PR team did a fantastic job here. They were very careful never to even suggest they might be a WoW killer and constantly stressed that they'd be happy with a user base of 1 million or even less. Then they restricted initial sales so that they couldn't possibly underperform and so that the servers stayed up.

Now when they reach their very profitable number of 2 million people paying them money every month we can think, wow they did a really good job this is great, unlike the other subscription MMO's where we'd be thinking, pfft 2 million? That's only 1/6th of WoW. It gives a much better impression of the game and is much more sensible the way they've presented it

I love this game, but I feel there's too much Steve Blum.... and not enough cowbell.

ASnogarD:

Except that it isn't. It's well thought-out and works very well in many aspects and it had a way smoother launch than many other MMO's.

And why is it being Star Wars a bad thing? What's wrong with it being pretty? That's usually a plus. SW:TOR really does capture the Star Wars feel, the combat does, the music does, the scenery does, the sound effects do, you name it. It oozes atmosphere and I love it for it. And to top it off the combat itself is very smooth, engaging, feels responsive and kinetic and is at times challenging too.

Is it as revolutionary as they promised it would be? Hah! Not in the slightest. Does it work very well regardless? You betcha.

ASnogarD:

Well its the story irregardless if you believe that. I know thats one of the driving factors behind it. I hate grind fest that is the standard MMO like WoW (Even though I played if for about 3 years) but when there is a nicely done story added it makes you desire to level up even more just so you can get to the next area and see that story. Its quite entertaining.

OT: Good to hear. I think Bioware really know what their doing with this steady stream of content. I got to say I am already loving it more than I ever liked WoW. I do hope the release more PvP arena's though. Some of them are not Imperial sniper friendly and you can't queue for a specific one XD

...aaaand it still hasn't been released in Australia, and won't until March. I hope it has gone F2P by then.

However in other news I noticed while checking out Steam specials that Star Trek Online is listed as F2P. I wanted KOTOR 3, but maybe I'll settle for Klingons off the starboard bow...

Good to hear. I really enjoy the game and would be playing it a lot more if I weren't in the final stretch for my bachelor's...

octafish:
...aaaand it still hasn't been released in Australia, and won't until March. I hope it has gone F2P by then.

I doubt it. A game with 1.7 million subs doesn't suddenly go free to play in a month.

First I was excited. Then I was dubious. Then I worried that being dubious was the ironic hipster response. Then I played the beta and saw the flaws for myself and said "hey, they're not so bad".

So yeah, when I have some free time in a month or two I'll pick this up for the single-player campaigns at the very least.

kouriichi:

The story for each character is amazing, the combat is shiny and fun to look at, the voice acting is possibly some of the best in ALL OF VIDEO GAMING HISTORY. (("Fat stack of Credits? You just said my favorite term." -Bounty Hunter))

Theres almost nothing bad i can say about it. Short of "needs more cowbell", its almost a perfect game. And im glad the sales are reflecting it.

So actually the real reason I'm commenting in this thread :) I've noticed your avatar before and the niggling sense of recognition has been gnawing at me. I finally remembered where I've seen it before! It takes sack and a refined taste to proudly display Pete Burns on your forum avatar and I salute you for it.

Origin has been around as "EA Download Manager" since 2005. They just kept changing the name.

i kinda wanna try this (i have friends there), but due to Origin, I'm inclined to stay away, don't need to be installing spyware knowingly

Good to hear it. I'm loving the game and see myself as a subscriber for the indefinite future. I wish it all the success in the world.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. I've been a subscriber since December 13th, when Early Access first started, and still only have 2 level 50 characters, the rest being around the 20 range. While the stories may get a little cliche here and there, they certainly bring about a more immersive, personal atmosphere for your playthrough than generic npc #2000 that speaks in an emotional-lacking, dull, text-based chat box format every five feet like most other MMO's..

Kitsuna10060:
i kinda wanna try this (i have friends there), but due to Origin, I'm inclined to stay away, don't need to be installing spyware knowingly

You don't need origin if you buy the game from the store. Origin is only required for online purchases, you don't even need it to download the game after you've bought it.

animehermit:

Kitsuna10060:

You don't need origin if you buy the game from the store. Origin is only required for online purchases, you don't even need it to download the game after you've bought it.

i see, good to hear thanks :D

Monkeyman O'Brien:

From what I hear of Old Republic it really aint that good so unless Bioware keeps cranking out new shit every month then I can see it flatlining very soon.

err...say wha?

i have roughlyh ~20 Wow friends who subscribed to TOR also, and they have all reached lvl 50 with one character and loved it to bits, and are about to start another character or two to see the other stories...(not to mention, between the occasional WoW and TOR, those are the only games they play, so thats at a pretty damn good pace.)

OT: I might dive into this game in the summer if i have teh time, but unfortunately MMO's are not my thing (although TOR might be, with it's focus on story/characters/decent VA)

still, glad to see it doing well, especially after the amount of backlash that was brought out before hand by many users.

It's not really very fair, when WoW came out all those years ago MMORPG's were very small and unknown. The fanbase grew massively but it was over a longer period of time. It's no suprise that the ONLY decent mmo to be released sold well.

You know those impressive sales numbers EA has for Origin?
$100 million for 10 million people... (of which most probably signed up for Battlefield 3)
Ignoring the fact that that's $10 a person, or 1/2 a cheap (by EA's internal logic) game each (1/6 a new EA game), we can do some interesting calculations with the numbers on this one:
* Probable 2.5-ish million TOR copies sold ('twas about 2 million earlier, and the falloff seems reasonable)
* 40% on Origin
* At $60 ea.
* Comes out to $60 million on Origin from The Old Republic.

In other words, fully 60% of their sales are people who have to choose between "boxed copy" and "Origin". Probably 70-90% of their remaining sales may be chalked up to Battlefield 3, leaving us with...

...Our "Steam competitor"? EA's blowing smoke here. Dressing up sales numbers that are only there 'cause they forced the issue, not because anyone wants to use their service.

The article must have the numbers wrong, eh?

Everyone hates Bioware and EA now-a-days, so of course they aren't buying/playing this game!

Didn't you get the memo?!

Oh wait... I see... the 'vocal minority' is full of it... one way or another... Maybe they are more of a minority in the gaming world than I gave them credit for. Maybe all that hot air they spew made me confused about real gamers are like.

Thank you for alleviating my ignorance on this topic Mr. Chalk.

Andy Chalk:
[snip]

Congratulations to The Old Republic! I'm glad you've been doing so well. Way to stick it to the World!

I'm slightly less excited about the success of Origin though. EA, why must you have to have some things that are so cool and others that can go die? It's not fair! I just want to light you on fire and beat you with sticks. Must you make it so difficult for me?

gmaverick019:
err...say wha?

i have roughlyh ~20 Wow friends who subscribed to TOR also, and they have all reached lvl 50 with one character and loved it to bits, and are about to start another character or two to see the other stories...(not to mention, between the occasional WoW and TOR, those are the only games they play, so thats at a pretty damn good pace.)

Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

TOR just does not have enough staying power to keep people in for long.

Monkeyman O'Brien:

gmaverick019:
err...say wha?

Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"

Azuaron:
I told you so. And it turns out I was low-balling it (continuing subscriber base of 1.7 million, 2 million buys already). I really don't understand why people have been doubting the obvious success of The Old Republic.

Wait until it lasts a few years before hailing it as a success.

Due to the hype and fan base (SW fans, bioware fans and KOTOR fans), it was obviously going to initially sell well, but unlike other games, these players have to remain for the game to be a success.

Considering 15% of purchasers didn't stick around, then it is certainly far too early to be stating SW:TOR as any sort of success,

Monkeyman O'Brien:

gmaverick019:
err...say wha?

Regardless of what others say, that metaphor is great and hilarious.

gmaverick019:

alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"

That's nonsense. They may like the mephasis on story or whatever, but your friends will enjoy SW:TOR because it's safe; they know how the combat works and how to play a game like that. They aren't exactly going from WoW to CS:S or Total War.

It's sad that you resort to bickering at the end of your comment, almost as if to say that comparing it to WoW makes you feel uncomfortable hence the unnecessary insults.

SW:TOR is WoW with a new lick of paint. The combat is the same 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ad infinitum boring-as-hell sequential number pressiing auto-lock on gameplay with brain dead NPC's and a static world filled with money-spinning travel times.

kouriichi:

The leveling in TOR is phenomenal, and I've never seen an MMO do it better.

Unfortunately, once you finish the leveling, the game collapses. End game isn't terribly challenging, even on nightmare, and there's really just not a whole lot to keep players interested. Dailies grow stale after a couple of weeks and the Republic half of most servers is almost completely dead.

If they can fix the population issues and add some challenging end game (I have some hope for this latter one after the Karagga's Palace full-release), it can be an amazing game. As it currently stands though, it's pretty meh.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here