The Old Republic Becomes the Fastest-Growing MMO Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

It's good to see this mmo doing well, though, as some others have stated, I'm curious to see if they stick. I have a friend that is playing it after he left WoW and he said it's pretty interesting, though it didn't seem to be anything to get hyped about. On that note, if they can keep some fresh content going, then they may continue to grow, but I do feel that the game may risk going stale too quickly. I was thinking about trying the game myself, but I currently can't afford a $15/month subscription.

The Cool Kid:

Monkeyman O'Brien:

gmaverick019:
err...say wha?

i have roughlyh ~20 Wow friends who subscribed to TOR also, and they have all reached lvl 50 with one character and loved it to bits, and are about to start another character or two to see the other stories...(not to mention, between the occasional WoW and TOR, those are the only games they play, so thats at a pretty damn good pace.)

Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

TOR just does not have enough staying power to keep people in for long.

Regardless of what others say, that metaphor is great and hilarious.

gmaverick019:

alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"

That's nonsense. They may like the mephasis on story or whatever, but your friends will enjoy SW:TOR because it's safe; they know how the combat works and how to play a game like that. They aren't exactly going from WoW to CS:S or Total War.

It's sad that you resort to bickering at the end of your comment, almost as if to say that comparing it to WoW makes you feel uncomfortable hence the unnecessary insults.

SW:TOR is WoW with a new lick of paint. The combat is the same 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ad infinitum boring-as-hell sequential number pressiing auto-lock on gameplay with brain dead NPC's and a static world filled with money-spinning travel times.

*sigh* yes because wow is the only one to ever do that combat and no game is allowed to do similar combat in the slightest, i am sorry for my mis thinking in that..

to...bickering? i would say "i couldn't care less" even though i in fact could on the subject, however i dont really see where i was "insulting", i just found the metaphor odd and was stating my data against that persons since they seemed to know so much about TOR and were hot to trot on the topic. unless i'm reading over something (which is entirely possibly this late at night) i don't see where i insulted them...could be wrong though.

while it is boring to you, it is combat that many are familiar with (including myself, even though i don't play WoW, but through other games) and i quite enjoy actually, so i see no reason why they would change much about it. obviously ~1.7 million subscribers seem to think so in the least bit that it is bearable.

Sorry to burst their bubble but 90% of those "users" are not users and were forced to download origin against their will.

it's really impressive how people were like "just wait till the 20. nobody will subscribe to this shit after the initial 30 days. i haven't played it but i hate it for some reason" and now they are like "just wait a few month" I bet in a few month they will go "just wait till the first addon"

I am glad I bought 3 copies of it. I finally see why people like playing MMOs with a group. But yeah this is my favorite MMO that I have played.

gmaverick019:

The Cool Kid:

Monkeyman O'Brien:

Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

TOR just does not have enough staying power to keep people in for long.

gmaverick019:

alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"

That's nonsense. They may like the mephasis on story or whatever, but your friends will enjoy SW:TOR because it's safe; they know how the combat works and how to play a game like that. They aren't exactly going from WoW to CS:S or Total War.

It's sad that you resort to bickering at the end of your comment, almost as if to say that comparing it to WoW makes you feel uncomfortable hence the unnecessary insults.

SW:TOR is WoW with a new lick of paint. The combat is the same 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ad infinitum boring-as-hell sequential number pressiing auto-lock on gameplay with brain dead NPC's and a static world filled with money-spinning travel times.

*sigh* yes because wow is the only one to ever do that combat and no game is allowed to do similar combat in the slightest, i am sorry for my mis thinking in that..

to...bickering? i would say "i couldn't care less" even though i in fact could on the subject, however i dont really see where i was "insulting", i just found the metaphor odd and was stating my data against that persons since they seemed to know so much about TOR and were hot to trot on the topic. unless i'm reading over something (which is entirely possibly this late at night) i don't see where i insulted them...could be wrong though.

while it is boring to you, it is combat that many are familiar with (including myself, even though i don't play WoW, but through other games) and i quite enjoy actually, so i see no reason why they would change much about it. obviously ~1.7 million subscribers seem to think so in the least bit that it is bearable.

Actually the point is why does a MMORPG have to have that combat system? Not every FPS handles like CoD, so why does every MMORPG have to handle like WoW?

you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons

So criticising the bland, unoriginal and hardly challenging gameplay is trivial? Please explain how that is so.

If I have already levelled up in WoW, mastered raids and so forth, why would I want to do it again, let alone do it all again with a different game? Repetition is not entertaining.

$320,000,000,000 is spent on illegal drugs. Are you saying then because of the volume of people who do drugs it's now inherently good, as that's your logic behind SW:TOR? The reason people like SW:TOR is because it is safe; they know the genre and are scared to look around.

Please tell me what is enjoyable about the combat. The NPC's provide no challenge due to non-existent AI, the bosses are just working out timings, and the combat is extremely slow.

The Cool Kid:

gmaverick019:

The Cool Kid:

Actually the point is why does a MMORPG have to have that combat system? Not every FPS handles like CoD, so why does every MMORPG have to handle like WoW?

So criticising the bland, unoriginal and hardly challenging gameplay is trivial? Please explain how that is so.

If I have already levelled up in WoW, mastered raids and so forth, why would I want to do it again, let alone do it all again with a different game? Repetition is not entertaining.

$320,000,000,000 is spent on illegal drugs. Are you saying then because of the volume of people who do drugs it's now inherently good, as that's your logic behind SW:TOR? The reason people like SW:TOR is because it is safe; they know the genre and are scared to look around.

Please tell me what is enjoyable about the combat. The NPC's provide no challenge due to non-existent AI, the bosses are just working out timings, and the combat is extremely slow.

well on the combat point its because WoW streamlined it very nicely.

I suppose you could build a car with three wheels, or 5, but the 4 wheeled design is ideal, like the combat system WoW pioneered.

I hear alot of people criticising TOR because of "Lack of endgame content"
I'm not an MMO player... Or rather I wasn't until I saw TOR on my friends beta. Until that weekend I had no intention of playing it, buying it or whatever. Nice game but MMOs weren't my thing.
So that's where I was until I went to my friends place that fateful saturday and saw him play his sith warrior.

It had all the elemants of KOTOR or Mass Effect (Including the conversation thing), You can play as either faction on the same account so you can experience all 8 of the storylines, fully voiced NPCs that add an extra level to the experience and overlayed on that was an MMO. Whether it is generic and adds nothing it certainly isn't a bad MMO and they will be patching and improving over time. As of now the game is barely more than a month old.

I play with a guild, it's fun. Why wouldn't I wanna play a multiplayer game with other players... But I have an Alt, she's kept hidden from my guild. I use her when I want to play without my guildies hassling me to join them for PvP.
I can play the game comfortably without other players if I wish.

Lack of End game content... Did you just level up to 50 as soon as you could and then wonder why you missed out?... I got 3 weeks of game play out of my first Sorc and now I'm gonna play bounty hunter, March I'll give imperial agent a whirl and now you see where I'm going with this cos I will still have stuff to do in August.
Oh, but wait, if I go outside and enjoy the summer too I will be playing this thing till christmas.

You wanna know what was broken with WoW, it was just an MMO... All other contenders till now have just been MMOs... I play an MMORPG.

The Cool Kid:

gmaverick019:

The Cool Kid:

wowza, didn't expect so much seriousness..let me put my thinking cap slightly on for a moment.
it doesn't HAVE to have that one, but it's one bioware was already semi familiar with with previous rpg entries, plus combat has never been exactly their "strong suit", so seeing something and knowing it works...idk, i guess they just ran with it on that one.

well there is our difference there, i don't play games for pure challenge, i play them for the fun of playing, i play for the journey and the enjoyment of the story that i am embarking on, which is generally how/why i play bioware games..

because of the story? that is exactly why i have 10+ playthroughs in all my bioware/obsidian games...? i don't replay them for the thrill of the combat/builds, which are fun enough to get by i suppose..

i don't get why your bringing drugs into this, a completely different market affecting different things, but noo that wasn't the point i was getting at...not even much a point really, i guess?

as i mentioned earlier, i don't NEED fast hernia inducing over powered AI opponents to enjoy a games combat, if it's fun to me then that's it, not much more to it.

look at mario, one of the simplest games to teach/learn, and is based purely around the combat, tell me why is it fun? most people will just say "just because it is", just like i'm saying now.

Atmos Duality:
Good for EA.
Unfortunately this has validated Origin's existence, and I have no doubt this will empower EA to make even more ludicrous demands of their customers via Origin now that they knew they have a hooked marketbase.

Sigh..

You do not have to use Origin for it though. It is completly stand-alone game, unless you bought it through origin of course.

And yay for SWTOR... It is a great game, doesn't matter if it is bugged to tears, it is still fun and enjoyable.

Its hard for me to get all the excited over the impending March release when a lot of those should probably have been there at launch. TOR for all it does right with the leveling experience has a number of really glaring holes. Even if TOR doesn't add a full fledged API for addons like WoW has there needs to be some form of UI customization, at the very least some proper UI scaling so people with big monitors don't have a micro UI. There needs to be an exposed combat log, yes this could lead to things like dps meters and is a frequent point of contention but having a combat log so you can determine how much an ability is hitting for and start really experimenting with mechanics (theorycrafting in WoW parlance)is impossible without an exposed combat log.

A number of guild features are MIA and there are points in the game that can't be spent on anything. Yes Bioware is releasing a lot reasonably quickly, but much of that is because content was stripped from launch and being added in piecemeal now. You don't deserve props for doing something that you should have done in the first place.

I have a number of problems with TOR mechanically, the ability delay/animation prioritization is frustrating and at times bordering on gamebreaking. End game content just isn't there, part of that goes back to inadequate tools like combat logs but much of it just isn't that well designed. The combat system is no where near as well designed as WoW with most rotations feeling like wrath Ret FCFS without a ton of complexity or interesting interactions (outside of healing, the healing design has some potential). I could elaborate all of these but anyone keeping up with TOR commentary has probably seem most of these criticisms in more depth before so I'm not going to be redundant.

That's nice but doesn't impress me much. Call me in a year if it is still going strong.

gmaverick019:

wowza, didn't expect so much seriousness..let me put my thinking cap slightly on for a moment.
it doesn't HAVE to have that one, but it's one bioware was already semi familiar with with previous rpg entries, plus combat has never been exactly their "strong suit", so seeing something and knowing it works...idk, i guess they just ran with it on that one.

well there is our difference there, i don't play games for pure challenge, i play them for the fun of playing, i play for the journey and the enjoyment of the story that i am embarking on, which is generally how/why i play bioware games..

because of the story? that is exactly why i have 10+ playthroughs in all my bioware/obsidian games...? i don't replay them for the thrill of the combat/builds, which are fun enough to get by i suppose..

i don't get why your bringing drugs into this, a completely different market affecting different things, but noo that wasn't the point i was getting at...not even much a point really, i guess?

as i mentioned earlier, i don't NEED fast hernia inducing over powered AI opponents to enjoy a games combat, if it's fun to me then that's it, not much more to it.

look at mario, one of the simplest games to teach/learn, and is based purely around the combat, tell me why is it fun? most people will just say "just because it is", just like i'm saying now.

The combat in WoW is a)nothing like KOTOR and b)Bioware have had great success with the combat in ME and DA.

I'll tell you why they went for the combat system they did; because they knew WoW fans wouldn't be scared by it. And they were right. Look at yourself & your friends. However it's not all roses because a lot of gamers take one look at the combat and go "Holy shit, another WoW. No thanks".

"The fun of playing". That is a completely vacuous term as you haven't described what is fun about what you are playing. If you could elaborate on it that would be useful. If you are playing mainly for the story, read a book? The combat is a large portion of Bioware games. You have to enjoy the combat as well as the story otherwise you will become frustrated very quickly.
My point about drugs was showing how using sales to claim quality is ridiculous.

If there is no challenge, why is combat fun? It would seem without a challenge, any task is simply repetitive, and since when did watching paint dry become fun?

Anyone who says "because it is" simply hasn't thought for a second about what they enjoy. Nothing is "just fun". The sun doesn't "just disappear" at night. You enjoy something because of it's qualities. Have you not once thought about why you like something to gain an insight into yourself?

FelixG:

I suppose you could build a car with three wheels, or 5, but the 4 wheeled design is ideal, like the combat system WoW pioneered.

But WoW combat is like building a compact car; it's slow, predictable and safe. Give the gamers a Dodge, or Ferrari.

The Cool Kid:

gmaverick019:

The combat in WoW is a)nothing like KOTOR and b)Bioware have had great success with the combat in ME and DA.

I'll tell you why they went for the combat system they did; because they knew WoW fans wouldn't be scared by it. And they were right. Look at yourself & your friends. However it's not all roses because a lot of gamers take one look at the combat and go "Holy shit, another WoW. No thanks".

"The fun of playing". That is a completely vacuous term as you haven't described what is fun about what you are playing. If you could elaborate on it that would be useful. If you are playing mainly for the story, read a book? The combat is a large portion of Bioware games. You have to enjoy the combat as well as the story otherwise you will become frustrated very quickly.
My point about drugs was showing how using sales to claim quality is ridiculous.

If there is no challenge, why is combat fun? It would seem without a challenge, any task is simply repetitive, and since when did watching paint dry become fun?

Anyone who says "because it is" simply hasn't thought for a second about what they enjoy. Nothing is "just fun". The sun doesn't "just disappear" at night. You enjoy something because of it's qualities. Have you not once thought about why you like something to gain an insight into yourself?

FelixG:

But WoW combat is like building a compact car; it's slow, predictable and safe. Give the gamers a Dodge, or Ferrari.

i wasn't directly relating it to kotor combat, more of a mix of their games, nor did i say it was JUST like it, i said SEMI like it, there is a difference. and yeah, but i wasn't arguing that? i had the same conclusion you did, except for the part about "no thanks", which per usual, a company can't please everyone with the combat.

you wanted me to elaborate...even though i already explained why i played those games? it's a chunk of a paragraph right above, clear as day? but anyways...you play bioware games...for the combat? you realize how many laughs/scoffs you would get from that? (granted i am one of the very very few people who do thoroughly enjoy biowares combat across all games, but that isn't why i play them nor enjoy them, i enjoy the stories/characters and flow of the progression.) and yeah i can agree to that, quantity does not mean quality, sure. regardless of the quantity, quality is always going to be subjective to two different people, and i suppose the games just something we won't agree on, will it?

like i stated in my previous quote, i play for the journey and overall feeling of what i have accomplished in the end, not the every second use of extraneous combat. and meh, i just enjoy things because i do, simple as that. I don't need to delve into every single thing that i do, just don't see the point in it. I enjoy playing soccer a few times a week just because i find it fun to play with my feet rather than my hands. simple as that, win or lose, doesn't matter.

this seems to be getting way...idk, off topic from the actual game itself, i can't even remember what we were originally debating..but how bout we chill out a bit? serious business is too serious at the moment for my tastes.

Kitsuna10060:
i kinda wanna try this (i have friends there), but due to Origin, I'm inclined to stay away, don't need to be installing spyware knowingly

You don't need Origin to play the game. Feel free to dive right in!

gmaverick019:

The Cool Kid:

FelixG:

i wasn't directly relating it to kotor combat, more of a mix of their games, nor did i say it was JUST like it, i said SEMI like it, there is a difference. and yeah, but i wasn't arguing that? i had the same conclusion you did, except for the part about "no thanks", which per usual, a company can't please everyone with the combat.

you wanted me to elaborate...even though i already explained why i played those games? it's a chunk of a paragraph right above, clear as day? but anyways...you play bioware games...for the combat? you realize how many laughs/scoffs you would get from that? (granted i am one of the very very few people who do thoroughly enjoy biowares combat across all games, but that isn't why i play them nor enjoy them, i enjoy the stories/characters and flow of the progression.) and yeah i can agree to that, quantity does not mean quality, sure. regardless of the quantity, quality is always going to be subjective to two different people, and i suppose the games just something we won't agree on, will it?

like i stated in my previous quote, i play for the journey and overall feeling of what i have accomplished in the end, not the every second use of extraneous combat. and meh, i just enjoy things because i do, simple as that. I don't need to delve into every single thing that i do, just don't see the point in it. I enjoy playing soccer a few times a week just because i find it fun to play with my feet rather than my hands. simple as that, win or lose, doesn't matter.

this seems to be getting way...idk, off topic from the actual game itself, i can't even remember what we were originally debating..but how bout we chill out a bit? serious business is too serious at the moment for my tastes.

WoW combat is nothing like Bioware combat from any game.

Let me quote you a part you must have missed:

If you are playing mainly for the story, read a book? The combat is a large portion of Bioware games. You have to enjoy the combat as well as the story otherwise you will become frustrated very quickly.

I also have to point out that you contradict yourself. You say you "thoroughly enjoy biowares combat" and yet you do not enjoy the games because of the combat...So you enjoy the combat in the game, but that doesn't bring you joy?...That doesn't make sense. Honestly it sounds like you do enjoy the combat and the game partly because of the combat but want to appear as some superior gamer who couldn't possibly enjoy anything other then storyline.

Where did I say I played for just the combat? I enjoy the combat and the story. Although I find it alarming that you think people would mock someone over why they played a game. That seems an incredibly immature attitude for someone to have.

If all you want is a journey, why do you not just pick up a book? As far as journeys go, they are vastly superior. How can you feel you have accomplished something, other then throwing time at a game, if the game hasn't provided you with a challenge?

, i just enjoy things because i do, simple as that.

No, it is not as simple as that. Why do you not enjoy Forza over WoW? Why do you not prefer to spend days perfecting your aim on CS:S? Saying "simple as that" is no different then uthe creation of a God of the Gaps.

If you can't even explain why you like a game, then, no offence, how can I have a meaningful conversation about the merits and pitfalls of a game?

My point was that if it wasnt for the SW trappings and the Bioware touch with the story parts, it wouldnt of been considered very good.

Bioware didnt even develop the engine in house, they use the HeroEngine which while good is not really going to deliver anything special... now theres is nothing wrong with outsourcing your engine, except when you make a song and dance about how much this MMO is costing, and then go cheap with the heart of the MMO itself... makes you wonder how much of the money went on the game and how much went on PR.

If any other company had made TOR but without using the SW theme, the game would of been considered dull and boring because mechanically it is.
Graphically its about the same level as WoW is, except WoW doesnt use as much instancing to cope with the numbers, nor does it shrink the game area to narrow hedged in paths to ensure that there isnt too much to render... and it still has pop ups.
The mob AI is terrible as nearly all the mobs just stay at thier spawn point cycling through idle animations all the time... just like the majority of F2P Chinese / Korean mmo's.

The much vaunted story system is also dissapointing to me at least, the choices basically boil down to accept the job if you pay me, accept the job because I am a sucker for jobs or reject the job... the light and dark mechanics are basically do you want more points in light or dark, do you need Dark III or want to go to Light I , thats it.

I really tried to enjoy the game, I tried a Imp. Agent -> Operative , Sith Inq , Jedi Knight -> Sentinal... and just couldnt find this great game the reviewers were talking about and the players were speaking of.

Erm ... EA press release time? Fastest growing ever?

How can they be fastest growing when they didn't get the most PC game boxes sold record hum?
Also, this is good news for Origin?

I'm glad they are still throwing more money into cheap and misleading PR then making the actual games. BTW, Escapist, do you know those screens you post are not possible in game right? EA only uses the high res internally to market the game.

Yeah, I'm sure I believe EA made press releases, conveniently released before free month is over. Somehow, 300k people bought the box and already left ... Yes, I'm sure they are really the best, the greatest, better than all the rest ... /facepalm

The Cool Kid:

Really? W,A,S,D for movement, R to reload, mouse to aim, LMB to shoot, RMB for iron sights/scope. Unless using iron sights or scope, your accuracy is determined by an arbitrary "spread" factor that increases during firing and/or movement and decreases when you stop firing and stand still. 90% of all FPS' on the PC work this way. CoD isn't anything special or unique. Complaining about an MMO's controls being like another MMO's and then using a shooter to try and make your point? Wow...

wintercoat:

The Cool Kid:

Really? W,A,S,D for movement, R to reload, mouse to aim, LMB to shoot, RMB for iron sights/scope. Unless using iron sights or scope, your accuracy is determined by an arbitrary "spread" factor that increases during firing and/or movement and decreases when you stop firing and stand still. 90% of all FPS' on the PC work this way. CoD isn't anything special or unique. Complaining about an MMO's controls being like another MMO's and then using a shooter to try and make your point? Wow...

So Halo has iron sights? CS:S has iron sights?
Oh my! What world have I been living in???

If you really think FPS' handle the same, you obviously have no idea about them.

The Cool Kid:

wintercoat:

The Cool Kid:

If you really think FPS' handle the same, you obviously have no idea about them.

Oh noes, two games not having iron sights completely invalidates my point, what ever shall I do!?!?!?! The majority of games uses them. And they use the right mouse button to do it too.

while i havent played it and i dont think i ever will i have been looking at origin. i dont know what its like for other people but im finding it so slow to use.. seriously a minute or longer just to bring up the store page?

Soooo 300.000 persons decided to quit already?
I might pick it up eventually. Too busy with LOTRO and some other games at the moment.

It's a high budget STAR WARS MMO! Of course it wasn't gonna fail.

Does TOR even use Origin? I mean I have it on my PC for other games but I can sign into TOR without logging into Origin or anything.

Hmm might have to look into this further.

I can recommend it by the way it's a decent game and fun to play with friends. Like multiplayer Mass Effect.

Edit: Uninstalled Origin and SW:TOR still works? Seems it's not required to play it. Unless it's needed for patches but I can't exactly test that at the moment.

DanielBrown:
Soooo 300.000 persons decided to quit already?
I might pick it up eventually. Too busy with LOTRO and some other games at the moment.

That was my main sentiment with the game.

xXxJessicaxXx:
Does TOR even use Origin? I mean I have it on my PC for other games but I can sign into TOR without logging into Origin or anything.

Hmm might have to look into this further.

I can recommend it by the way it's a decent game and fun to play with friends. Like multiplayer Mass Effect.

Edit: Uninstalled Origin and SW:TOR still works? Seems it's not required to play it. Unless it's needed for patches but I can't exactly test that at the moment.

Origin was only needed to buy the game through it. I bought my game in HMV.

It's a stand alone game, like all MMO's with their own launcher.
They also ALL get their patches through their launcher. I don't have Origin or any game from it and I got SWTOR from the shop installed and been playing since the 26th december.

Senarrius:

Origin was only needed to buy the game through it. I bought my game in HMV.

It's a stand alone game, like all MMO's with their own launcher.
They also ALL get their patches through their launcher. I don't have Origin or any game from it and I got SWTOR from the shop installed and been playing since the 26th december.

Also: you can buy TOR through the website version of Origin (so you don't need to download the actual program) and then proceed to download it through the TOR website without using the actual program for anything.

How'd you like them apples haters?

This is my first MMO and I'm really enjoying it. Last night I got to play with a bunch of WOW converts and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

But but but endgame bioware ea pvp lag broken origin ea bioware endgame pvp!1!11!!!!

Obviously EA is, as a large professional corporate entity, lying about their subscription numbers. Right? Right?

Eri:
Sorry to burst their bubble but 90% of those "users" are not users and were forced to download origin against their will.

TOTES. EA showed up at my house and held a gun to my pregnant wife's head until I installed it. Now my computer runs like it has windows 3.1 on it and blue screens every two minutes.

The Cool Kid:

Azuaron:
I told you so. And it turns out I was low-balling it (continuing subscriber base of 1.7 million, 2 million buys already). I really don't understand why people have been doubting the obvious success of The Old Republic.

Wait until it lasts a few years before hailing it as a success.

Due to the hype and fan base (SW fans, bioware fans and KOTOR fans), it was obviously going to initially sell well, but unlike other games, these players have to remain for the game to be a success.

Considering 15% of purchasers didn't stick around, then it is certainly far too early to be stating SW:TOR as any sort of success,

Lasting a few years is not how it would be a success. It's a success if it becomes profitable. Having spent $500 million, they've made back $50 million on Origin sales alone (Origin sales reached $100 million, not Origin sales of The Old Republic), and probably $50 million in retail sales. 1.7 million people have stuck around for the second month, which is another $25 million in subscriptions (at $12/month), bringing their current profits up to $125 million.

Last time we had this discussion, estimates were placing end-of-year numbers for SW:TOR at 3 million buyers, but that number has raised to 3.5 million (at minimum; it will probably be more than 4 million, possibly 5 million). Another 1.5 million sales (40% on Origin) is another $75 million. With a 15% drop out rate per month (and steady growth to 3.5 million sales by the end of the year; although, the drop out rate will probably be lower in the coming months as people who were just checking it will have already left before paying any subscription fees), they'll make another $150 million by the end of the year and still have a million subscribers.

So, at a minimum, they can expect to have $350 million of their $500 million back by the end of the year, and a million people still spending $12-$15/month. Plus, by that time they'll probably be selling the first expansion, which is incredibly cheap to make (by comparison) and will get them more profit and more subscribers.

EA and Bioware aren't messing around with SW:TOR. It's going to be here for a long time, and after they make back their initial investment in the next year and a half (or earlier), minimal upkeep will continue to net them lots of money and the occasional expansion will make them lots and lots of money.

So, once again, I really don't understand how people can question the success of the fastest growing MMO of all time. This isn't complicated math I'm doing here, and even using the low estimates EA/Bioware are coming out way ahead.

I guess I'll just have to keep gloating as the monthly reports of SW:TOR get released.

Azuaron:

The Cool Kid:

Azuaron:
I told you so. And it turns out I was low-balling it (continuing subscriber base of 1.7 million, 2 million buys already). I really don't understand why people have been doubting the obvious success of The Old Republic.

Wait until it lasts a few years before hailing it as a success.

Due to the hype and fan base (SW fans, bioware fans and KOTOR fans), it was obviously going to initially sell well, but unlike other games, these players have to remain for the game to be a success.

Considering 15% of purchasers didn't stick around, then it is certainly far too early to be stating SW:TOR as any sort of success,

Lasting a few years is not how it would be a success. It's a success if it becomes profitable. Having spent $500 million, they've made back $50 million on Origin sales alone (Origin sales reached $100 million, not Origin sales of The Old Republic), and probably $50 million in retail sales. 1.7 million people have stuck around for the second month, which is another $25 million in subscriptions (at $12/month), bringing their current profits up to $125 million.

Last time we had this discussion, estimates were placing end-of-year numbers for SW:TOR at 3 million buyers, but that number has raised to 3.5 million (at minimum; it will probably be more than 4 million, possibly 5 million). Another 1.5 million sales (40% on Origin) is another $75 million. With a 15% drop out rate per month (and steady growth to 3.5 million sales by the end of the year; although, the drop out rate will probably be lower in the coming months as people who were just checking it will have already left before paying any subscription fees), they'll make another $150 million by the end of the year and still have a million subscribers.

So, at a minimum, they can expect to have $350 million of their $500 million back by the end of the year, and a million people still spending $12-$15/month. Plus, by that time they'll probably be selling the first expansion, which is incredibly cheap to make (by comparison) and will get them more profit and more subscribers.

EA and Bioware aren't messing around with SW:TOR. It's going to be here for a long time, and after they make back their initial investment in the next year and a half (or earlier), minimal upkeep will continue to net them lots of money and the occasional expansion will make them lots and lots of money.

So, once again, I really don't understand how people can question the success of the fastest growing MMO of all time. This isn't complicated math I'm doing here, and even using the low estimates EA/Bioware are coming out way ahead.

I guess I'll just have to keep gloating as the monthly reports of SW:TOR get released.

That 500 million is mostly baseless conjecture, similar numbers ranging from 80 to 500 million have bleen thrown around before, but we simply do not know how much money was spent on the game.

That number would grow if they added a free trial, please oh please add a free trial!

That's nice I suppose. I just have to wonder how long these numbers will keep going. After all, the game has only been out for a couple of months.

Still not too interested in the game itself though. I don't like where they went from the KOTOR games, and in general I just don't like Star Wars anymore.

Eeeeh, for star wars combat I think i'l stick to JEDI KNIGHT JEDI ACADEMY ^^

wintercoat:

The Cool Kid:

wintercoat:

Oh noes, two games not having iron sights completely invalidates my point, what ever shall I do!?!?!?! The majority of games uses them. And they use the right mouse button to do it too.

So Prey, Doom, Quake, Duke, Time Splitters use Iron Sights?
You are teaching me so much I never knew!

You obviously started gaming during the CoD era. Not every game is CoD. Plus not every game with iron sights handles the same way. Does Crysis handle the same as CoD? No, no it does not.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here