Kaz Hirai Becomes Sony CEO, Asks "Holy Sh*t, Now What?"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kaz Hirai Becomes Sony CEO, Asks "Holy Sh*t, Now What?"

As he prepares to take the reins of power, incoming Sony CEO Kaz Hirai wants to know, "Holy sh*t, now what?" [Seriously.]

Sony Computer Entertainment Chairman Kazuo Hirai was recently tapped to take over as president and CEO of the whole Sony Corporation shooting match. He's got a big job ahead of him; Sony's a powerhouse corporation but Hirai says that for a number of reasons, the company is sputtering.

"I thought turning around the PlayStation business was going to be the toughest challenge of my career, but I guess not," he told the Wall Street Journal. "It's one issue after another. I feel like 'Holy shit, now what?'"

The world has changed, Hirai said, and Sony must focus on providing a great "user experience" rather than just manufacturing great hardware. "We really need to buckle down and be realistic," he continued. "I don't think everybody is on board, but I think people are coming around to the idea that if we don't turn this around, we could be sitting in some serious trouble."

Hirai's easy fluency in both Japanese and English is expected to allow him to bridge the culture gap that confounded his predecessor, outgoing CEO Howard Stringer, who doesn't speak Japanese and admitted in a 2011 interview that he spent years not realizing that many of his orders were being ignored. But Hirai will also drop the ax when needed, saying he intends to review Sony's entire product lineup and pull the plug on those that can't compete.

"Sony cannot continue walking on the same path," he at a meeting of investors in Tokyo. "Sony needs to find new business areas, such as medical. We also need to select and narrow our business portfolio."

Hirai takes over as President and CEO of Sony Corporation on April 1.

Source: Bloomberg

He needs to find new business areas and narrow their business portfolio? :D

Holy sh*t, what now?

Sony's 2011 to a tee.

Andy Chalk:
"Sony cannot continue walking on the same path," he at a meeting of investors in Tokyo. "Sony needs to find new business areas, such as medical. We also need to select and narrow our business portfolio."

Contraction much Mr. Hirai?

RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but still good luck to Kaz Hirai

sony basically used to be apple.

how the mighty have fallen.

ForgottenPr0digy:

He gets too much flack for that.

Ridge Racer games ain't too bad.

not the best words for starting to handle a big corporation.

but he is moving in the right direction..... i hope so.

LilithSlave:

ForgottenPr0digy:

He gets too much flack for that.

Ridge Racer games ain't too bad.

yeah I know just poking some fun at him. I still respect the man in the end

These are the news articles I enjoy on the Escapist.
Can you continue keeping some tabs on Sony's new development?
K thanks.

Well he seems promising....

Andy Chalk:

Just imagine his face when he finds out.

"Sony needs to find new business areas, such as medical. We also need to select and narrow our business portfolio."

So he said those two sentences right after one another... what?

Big talk.

But then, that's more then we usually got from Sony, so here's hoping.

Ok, Kaz is either going to take Sony back to the hieghts it was at around 2000, or hes going to run things into the ground.

Still he cant possibly do a worse job than the American who couldnt speak Japanese who tried to run a Japanese company.

As much as I think he's a horrible leader, I do love Hirai for the steady stream of hilarious quotes. Some of them even intentional.

Howard Stringer has been the CEO since 2005, and he never bothered to learn the language the core of the corporation operates under?
Japanese isn't even that hard.

DVS BSTrD:

Let's say you have 10 business ventures, and 4 of them are not lucrative.
So you ditch them and find 2 new ventures to replace them.
You've narrowed your business portfolio, and found new business areas.
So no, it's not a contradiction.

It's quite obvious what he has to do. He has to hit the giant enemy crab in the weak point for extra damage.

Huh. He actually sounds like a sound, reasoning human being. I rarely see that in CEOs these days, at least those who get reported about. Hopefully Sony will stop trying to be so flashy about its material and just try to be *good* instead.

At least he's aware of Sony's issues. For so long the company has been out of touch with changes in the tech market.

Andy Chalk:

And then it's revealed it was all a joke...

OT: I've got nothing to say, really. I just got a PS3, and so just getting into the next-gen games thing.

Comment Removed.

that doesn't really sound comforting if that,s one of the first things your new boss says.

Andy Chalk:
But Hirai will also drop the ax when needed, saying he intends to review Sony's entire product lineup and pull the plug on those that can't compete.

...And then, in the console wars, there were two. :V

Buy out CCP?

Sleekit:
sony basically used to be apple.

how the mighty have fallen.

Overpriced and under-spec'd? Actually, yeah, that sounds about right.

Andy Chalk:

"Sony needs to find new business areas, such as medical.

...such as medical.
Sony Medical

Dear god can you imagine those jokers in charge of peoples health?

They can hardly handle a video games division.

I'll take a large portion of NOPE please doc.

Canadish:

Andy Chalk:

...such as medical.
Sony Medical

I think it really means just funding investments into Research and Development more then anything.

DVS BSTrD:

Holy sh*t, what now?

Sony's 2011 to a tee.

Andy Chalk:

Not really.

Lets say that Sony goes into medical, but they slim down other areas. This means consoles will become heart monitors, etc.

Considering the TV sales of Sony have been troubled, and the console race is under threat of collapsing under itself, I wouldn't be surprised they would move to a more stable market.

gigastar:
Still he cant possibly do a worse job than the American who couldnt speak Japanese who tried to run a Japanese company.

Man, you do not know the half of it.

I won't go so far as to say that the Japanese are a xenophobic people, but from what I've read and heard, I can say that they are a very insular people. A "gaijin" just cannot expect to get the same amount of respect from a Japanese company as someone who is actually Japanese.

It will certainly give him a major advantage over his predecessor in the management department, though I agree that it will be up to his vision to really turn the company around... or not.

Canadish:

Andy Chalk:

...such as medical.
Sony Medical

I disagree. Mostly because you do not have to worry about a constant stream of cheaters, pirates, and black hats trying to crack some poor bedridden dude's dialysis machine. Not only that, but medical devices are designed to be used and maintained by professionals, instead of twats who call people "faggot" like there's a cash prize for being a homophobic douchebag.

In that sense, if you can make it in the console world, medical should be a cake walk.

I scanned his bio really quickly and he seems like an okay person to be in charge, that, and he made me laugh with his comment in this article. I think everyone has days like that, but at least he seems down to earth and is addressing issues with Sony.

Ok if he wants to do something right and get ut into a positive light he should make a PS3 update that makes it backwards compatible with PS2 games. That would make me love him.

Solo-Wing:
Ok if he wants to do something right and get ut into a positive light he should make a PS3 update that makes it backwards compatible with PS2 games. That would make me love him.

Yes Yes Please, they can take my money i will pay them very good money.

He does sound like a reasonable human being. We shall see...

Woodsey:
"Sony needs to find new business areas, such as medical. We also need to select and narrow our business portfolio."

So he said those two sentences right after one another... what?

Remember guys, he may be learning English, but he's still a Japanese guy. Probably still learning his way around English.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here