Gamer Dies In LAN Cafe, No One Notices

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

balberoy:
Man this is just like dieing while having sex!

In your experience with people dying during sex, does the surviving person continue fucking the corpse for nine hours?

Funny thing was that I was just planning to start playing LoL when I saw this article. XD

My first question weirdly enough isn't 'how did no-one notice that he was dead for nine hours?'.

It's 'how the fuck do you not notice someone having a heart attack in the same room as you?'.

Nobody noticed the guy probably having fits or seizures (and probably making a fair bit of noise)?

Iron Mal:
My first question weirdly enough isn't 'how did no-one notice that he was dead for nine hours?'.

It's 'how the fuck do you not notice someone having a heart attack in the same room as you?'.

Nobody noticed the guy probably having fits or seizures (and probably making a fair bit of noise)?

Pretty sure you can get silent Heart Attacks, and you mis-read them as Heartburn and stuff.

OT- Sad news, but I'm not overly shocked no one noticed, especially if people were assuming he was sleeping.

FamoFunk:

Pretty sure you can get silent Heart Attacks, and you mis-read them as Heartburn and stuff.

True, although I'm also fairly certain those tend to be of the non-lethal variety though (hence they are easily mistakable for heartburn).

Somebody having a lethal heart attack is going to be pretty damn hard to ignore.

If you see a guy slumped in a chair your not going to automatically assume he's dead. I mean c'mon, there's a guy slumped in a chair, what do you assume, he's fallen asleep. or he's dead? Could have happened anywhere.

Scarim Coral:
And another one added to the list of death by gaming.
When will some people learn about self control and simply enough it enough?

To be fair it sounds like he was actually killed by a pre-existing heart condition exacerbated by the low temperature of his environment and lack of movement.

I only make this leap of logic because it's in the article.

So really the problem wasn't so much excessive gaming (indeed it doesn't mention how long he was gaming before he died) but rather that he didn't do a few routine stretches to promote blood flow in between matches.

Whether or not we can fault this on gaming can only be determined once we know whether or not he was medically advised to keep blood flow, or if this was a set of circumstances he hadn't considered!

...YIKES. You think someone would have noticed... are some people really that desensitized towards this sort of thing?

Micalas:

Earnest Cavalli:
The body of 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu sat in a crowded Taipei gaming center for nine hours before anyone noticed that something was amiss.

Looks like he was in the wrong place...
*sunglasses*
at the Rong time.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

This is another reason why I love this place. :D

Anyway, tragic but isn't surprising to me anymore.

how can people not notice there surroundings to the point someone can be dead. who knows maybe it's because I am still in school year 12 were you are constantly alert of your surroundings, but are people so glued to there screens that they can not go see if something is wrong. what is so difficult about stopping to look around every 15 mins, taking a break and stretching your legs

Qitz:
Man Asia countries don't stop gaming for shit do they? There's been more than a few cases of someone dieing in a web cafe and no one noticing.

gaming like a boss.

now i feel bad for saying 'he was probably asian or in an asian country' before i clicked on this thread.

but he was gaming in a corner. its plausable that no one noticed him. when i were a waiter at that place i would peek around the corner and think that he is ok

WARNING!
please don't open the spoiler box if you feel extremly uncomfortable seeing dead people.

the inclusion of the image serves to explain why i would think he's ok.

Zen Toombs:

Kitsuna10060:
only in Asia .....

nice to see all the laws they have to stop this kinda thing aren't working.

Erm, are you really going to be that guy? Things happen can (and do) happen everywhere.

death by blood clots? yes.
death by heart condition? of course.
death by not taking your heart condition into account and gaming for 12+ hours? only ever HEAR of it in Asia really.

its really hard to feel sorry for some one when they kill them selves over A GAME. even more pathetic is the people around him that couldn't be bothered to check on him for NINE HOURS.

but *shrugs* least I'm not making really bad jokes around that CSI meme, which is worse imo >.>

A man dies and this sites uses a game as the pic?
ya games are not dangers but garbage like League of legends is since it forces people into grind to achive unlocks witch is just greedy and unethical

I've got a sudden urge to start releasing pumas into LAN events now...

... and the first thing that comes to mind is a 'AFK' joke.

Yeah, we are all totally going to hell, but at least we'll b laughing on the way down.

Kinda reminds me of a story I heard about a guy who died in his office cubicle on friday and nobody found him until the following monday.

Huh. For once, it wasn't some kid dying while grinding in an MMO.
Color me surprised.

DumpsterHumper:

balberoy:

In your experience with people dying during sex, does the surviving person continue fucking the corpse for nine hours?

In all fairness, their partner would still be stiff.

Earnest Cavalli:

I'm not going to jump on the "videogames are dangerously addictive" bandwagon, but I'm suddenly a bit worried about our species. There are completely immobile thorn bushes in Kenya that have better survival instincts than LAN gamers. In the event of a puma attack, we're little more than squishy meat sacks, but at least previous generations would have thrown something heavy at the snarling beast. Now I wonder if we'd even grumble as our arms are torn off by oversized feline claws.

You mean in a place where people sit relatively motionless infront of a monitor for hours on end, no one happened to notice the one guy sitting motionless infront of a monitor for hours on end? Le-gasp!

Come on, reign that hyperbole in a bit, it just makes you sounds ridiculous and alarmist. He wasn't standing motionless on a DDR pad for 9hrs, he was hunched over his computer, like everyone else there was.

And not to insult your obviously massive medical knowledge, but you do realize that a DVT in the right spot could kill someone in the blink of an eye without them having a chance even sputter out "No mas."

But yeah, its good to see all those lockout and curfew laws are working.

For the love of...
Asians, FFS, learn to stop dying at cafe's.

I'm sorry but this is just more crap that is going to attack games.
Yes games are addicting (As I am and trying to leap out of my addiction to obtain a real life), but dying over not resting or taking a break?

If I'm cold, I go get something to warm myself up.
If I have a heart condition I take things in moderation like a normal intelligent person would.

I'm getting tired of two things about games and the gamers are the cause of it:

North/South America has stupid players who bash other people for not having the top (anything) and then leading that said person to hunt down and either A. Kill the person or B. Assault the person.

Asia has stupid players who don't take breaks from anything and die in public.

I'm sorry for sounding like an complete jerk, but this stuff has to stop. I'm tired of Ego gamers and I'm tired of gamers dying because their too focus on gaining one more level or 50 more exp or anything within the game to realize that they should go pee or Bowl Movement or in this articles case: Warm up so your heart condition doesn't kill you.

Versuvius:
I couldn't help but laugh. This is genuinely funny because i can imagine the community screaming "omg gtfo noob he dun fukin no how to moov".

Too true, shame he wasnt playing Zilean really... Or even Yorick, at least then he could have told someone.

As someone who used to spend a lot of time at net cafes, I can tell you that I am not surprised by this. 24/7 net cafes with gamers as regulars, especially in poor countries, tend to have very cheap long-hour packs, like 24 hours for 8 euros. It's not unusual for people who buy those packages to fall asleep for a couple of hours on their chairs, and noone bothers them of course. It's sad, yes, but very common, so one might not actually notice if one of them died in an inconspicious position.

P.S: This reminds me that I miss my unkillable aura bitch Leona.

Iron Mal:

Some heart attacks can also be accompanied by a stroke(as in the brain reacts to lack of blood flow faster than what one takes as a normal heart attack), which can lead to blacking out and death not long after if they aren't dealt with. That's pretty quiet. It's quite possible the guy didn't feel a thing and felt like he was just going to sleep.

I'm just going to say, it's not like he let people know when he was dying. If he slumped over and fell off his chair, then I'm sure someone would have noticed. But if he went from clicking a mouse to not clicking a mouse, then I can understand that no one cared.

When I read this, and the inevitable stuff saying that this is the biggest example of obsessive concentration on a game ever, my response was: Bitch Please!

To be fair, he could've been sleeping. I'm always quick to take an opportunity to lament our failings as a species, but he wasn't exactly wildly flailing around, begging for help, I'm sure. I mean, if I told you I check to be sure everyone sitting quietly around me isn't dead prior to this incident, you'd think me a little loony.

Dedication......

Well, he died the way he lived, and I imagine he died happy too.

Captcha: armful kstoryo

Micalas:

Earnest Cavalli:
The body of 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu sat in a crowded Taipei gaming center for nine hours before anyone noticed that something was amiss.

Looks like he was in the wrong place...
*sunglasses*
at the Rong time.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

I hate you man, lol! I want you to hate you, but I keep laughing!

When I saw this, I was certain it was South Korean... Close, very close.

But fucking hell, how did they not notice a corpse?!

Ninedeus:

DumpsterHumper:

balberoy:

In all fairness, their partner would still be stiff.

HAH! But yeah, that is pretty morbid...

How the fuck does it take you 9 hours to notice a DEAD FUCKING BODY sitting next to you? talk about failing your spot check.

Also, why does this sort of thing only seem to happen in Asia? Is there something in the water?

He must have got a penta as Sona to keel over like that.

"PENTA-KILL! A SUMMONER IS LEGENDARY" *HNGGGGGGGG*

It's ok, I'm sure he'll re-spawn soon....

Pretty funny though.... Gamers really are dedicated.

While thinking about this article, I randomly realized something.

Death is not pretty. When something dies, their bowels let loose. This goes for dogs, cats, people, everything. This guy likely crapped and/or pissed himself once letting go after that heart attack.

That alone makes me surprised that someone didn't notice for 9 hours. How badly did that place have to smell for people not to get a whiff of hardcore crap and piss? How unsanitary was that place? Surely someone noticed a puddle around the chair (unless the guy was wearing a diaper).

Then you go into things like rigger and the other intense smells, which takes a while longer. That's likely when someone noticed something was up (unless the place was closing 9 hours later).

So it's not just "30 people sitting around playing games at a LAN cafe don't notice dead guy". It's far, far worse than that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here