Notch Volunteers to Fund Psychonauts Sequel - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

uncanny474:
They already made System Shock 3. It's called Bioshock.

They made a passable to good game that was a pale hommage to SystemShock, and called it BioShock.

OT: Yay! If I had his money, I'd probably try to do the same with Looking Glass Studios and the Thief / SShock franchises.

Goddamit. Apparently ive died and went to heaven....

NO NO NO PLEASE DON'T!!!

Notch just made it to my top 10 awesome people list.

I'd rather he financed a true sequel to the Dungeon Keeper series. I believe Lionhead owns the I.P. now.

Aethren:
I'd rather he financed a true sequel to the Dungeon Keeper series. I believe Lionhead owns the I.P. now.

Ooh! Yes! I'd pay to see that :D

Man I really loved Psychonauts. I still don't get how it sold so little... maybe because of the art style? (which was excellent too, but slightly unconventional and maybe people thought it looked childish?)
In fact I really want to know why it performed so badly sales wise...

I'm actually a bit worried about a Psychonauts 2 because my expectations would be pretty high due to the original.

Would be cool if this happened.

Grey Carter:

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Forum posters aren't bound by journalistic integrity... which adds to the time disparity I'd imagine ;)

There's that, too. :)

Forum posters don't have to constantly remind themselves that X company is an it not a they.

Or worry about proper use of semicolons.

Hell yeah.

uncanny474:

I honestly don't know how to respond to this, except to just say nope. Not even close.

Minecraft creator + Psychonauts creator = THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER. YOU KNOW THAT WILL BE THE RESULT.

Notch, Tim, do the right thing.

And so the gamers, who denounced Mojang for only making a game in beta, found the real reason for Minecraft: to fund Psychonauts 2!

Saulkar:
Never played the game nor saw any reason to, the whole premise simply did not click with me. Until Team Fortress 2 was explained to me I never saw the appeal. If someone is willing to open up my eyes as to what the general consensus of what makes the game good outside of a couple of sentences worshiping the game's awesomeness then who knows? Maybe I might pick it up some time.

It's a very quirky platformer/adventure game with a unique premise (a psychic camp, levels taking place inside the minds of various characters), great art direction, a decent story, and of course a solid if pretty weird sense of humor. I'd say it was one of the more memorable titles of the previous generation, and it's a lot of fun. I recommend checking it out.

ThunderCavalier:
Oh god yes.

I didn't get a chance to experience the original Psychonauts, so I'm sure not going to miss out on this game if it comes out.

Don't miss out on the original either! A few parts are a little clunky, but it really is a great game. Well worth the time and money.

viranimus:
Hrm, thing is.. Psychonauts was not really a good game. Sure it had Schaffers quirky sense of humor and "I dug this out of Tim Burtons Closet, does it look good?" design esthetic, So as a visual work, sure, its good. As an interactive game, not so much.

I think Yahtzee said it best in his Psychonauts review when he described the fan vs. non-fan...

"Which group you'll fall into depends on whether you're the sort of misty-eyed, 'games are art,' hippie who can allow things like excellent storytelling and charming artistic direction excuse a few gameplay issues, or if you're the kind of twitching, ritalin-popping XBOX owner who falls into a narcaleptic coma when they go without killing something for 45 seconds."

Now, he is creating a greatly exaggerated (and possibly insulting) overgeneralization, but his underlying point is valid: Those who love Psychonauts (such as myself) tend to be those who focus on the context and aesthetics of a game, while those who are critical of Psychonauts tend to be those who focus on the gameplay.

I agree that, in terms of gameplay, Psychonauts is average. It's not great. But it's not bad either. Too Human had BAD gameplay; the gameplay of Psychonauts is adequete, functional, and still has its genuninely fun aspects.

However, in terms of aesthetics and context, Psychonauts has more personality than many human beings.

I watched that discussion on twitter just as it happened ... Was quite amazing to see an actually-quite-large project being funded right in front of you. In all honesty, I am quite certain they will pull this. Notch and Tim might turn out to be an awesome combination after all.
I personally did not play Psychonauts either, I have to admit. Nonetheless I find it to be rather appealing in terms of concept. A sequel would definitely do it well.

Oh Notch, you beautiful, beautiful bastard. Really hope this works out so they can jab a glowing hot poker in the publishers eyes. Some PR and brand recognition might make all the difference for this IP.

My question is who is this aimed at, and how will it come out? If it is to the fans of Psychonauts and it is a game the size of the original Psychonauts I can see it flopping like the original did. If it were some arcade game, then it might make make a return on the investment. Maybe it is better to let some things die gracefully instead of just trying again and again to make some return on it. I'm looking at you Gabriel Knight style adventure games.

Susan Arendt:

War Penguin:
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I feel it necessary to point it out: I know that news isn't always lightning fast at the Escapist, despite how much they try, but I love how the users are ahead by just a little bit. XD

What I'm talking about.

Anyway...

Some people wonder why I like Notch so much. This is why. :D

The community is almost always going to be faster than the news team because you're dealing with thousands of people in varying time zones trawling the web for gaming info, versus our small handful of newsies. The numbers are in the community's favor on that score. So, yes, odds are that the news will show up in the forum first. Some people choose to use that advantage to tip off the news guys and point them towards something the community should know about. And some decide to just be smug or rude.

About that is there any actual channel we are meant to use to inform the news guys? Or do we just message them privately, because I've had no idea on the last two I tried so just Private messaged people.

As for the Game, Eh I haven't played the first one so I'm not sure what to expect but I'm a little concerned I think that Notch trying to publish it is to rash for the project.

Notch isn't as experienced as other people and though he has the money for it does he have the know how?

I just read this news and had a triple anal orgasm.

I think is might be the equivalent of a rich creative type saying "shut up and take my money".

Andy Chalk:

War Penguin:
I feel it necessary

Why?

honestly you do a good enough job as do all the contributors as proven by the fact we're all here you can't be expected to be omnipotent too.

some of the less patient members will run aground their own swords eventually, I love to keep that in mind when using forums

lastly,
PSYCHONAUTS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
<3 notch.

ok fanboy geek moment over.

As much as I hate Notch for selling a game that is terrible on every level, if the proceeds somehow play a part in making a really decent game? Then hey, things happen for a reason I guess...

Ohmygodyes.
I will buy all of Notchs games after this.

remnant_phoenix:

I think Yahtzee said it best in his Psychonauts review when he described the fan vs. non-fan...

"Which group you'll fall into depends on whether you're the sort of misty-eyed, 'games are art,' hippie who can allow things like excellent storytelling and charming artistic direction excuse a few gameplay issues, or if you're the kind of twitching, ritalin-popping XBOX owner who falls into a narcaleptic coma when they go without killing something for 45 seconds."

Now, he is creating a greatly exaggerated (and possibly insulting) overgeneralization, but his underlying point is valid: Those who love Psychonauts (such as myself) tend to be those who focus on the context and aesthetics of a game, while those who are critical of Psychonauts tend to be those who focus on the gameplay.

I agree that, in terms of gameplay, Psychonauts is average. It's not great. But it's not bad either. Too Human had BAD gameplay; the gameplay of Psychonauts is adequete, functional, and still has its genuninely fun aspects.

However, in terms of aesthetics and context, Psychonauts has more personality than many human beings.

That is an EXCELLENT description.

Notch is a fat, jolly, bearded man who brings incredible happiness. He is the geek santa.

Mr.Squishy:
Notch is a fat, jolly, bearded man who brings incredible happiness. He is the geek santa.

He's fat, I'll grant you that.

OH. HELL. YES!

Double post, please ignore

I'd be behind it, as long as Notch keeps his butterfingers out of development.

ResonanceGames:
I like the idea of Notch as an eccentric millionaire who resuscitates beloved game franchises. Hey Notch, let's make System Shock 3 happen.

I feel like if I was a millionaire, I would do the same haha. Notch seems like a cool dude... and I think he recognizes that, while he certainly had an awesome product, he got pretty lucky in terms of word of mouth exposure that gave him that extra financial oomph he needed to get his project finished.

...and then some.

...and then a whole fucking lot more.

I can definitely appreciate the fact that he is happy to share the wealth with people he thinks deserve it.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road (assuming he stays successful) he set up like "Notch's Indie Scholarship" where he just tosses money at people who were in the same position he was when he hit it big.

That would be classy.

Now, this seems to be a duo I can get behind.

uncanny474:

And Assassin's Creed is clearly a Prince of Persia sequel. Bioshock's a simplified homage to System Shock, although they do have similar mechanics their themes are very different.

Good for Notch, I just saw the Kickstarter project as well, very interesting way to get some investors.

Hey Notch, think you can get the Evil Genius license from Rebellion?

Susan Arendt:

Grey Carter:

Susan Arendt:

There's that, too. :)

Forum posters don't have to constantly remind themselves that X company is an it not a they.

Or worry about proper use of semicolons.

don't forget about grammar or spelling (since ya know your going there)

OT: there is but one, and only one way to react to this news

The_root_of_all_evil:

This will either be the greatest thing of all time...

Or the moment it jumped the shark...

And, honestly, at this moment, I have no idea which way it will turn.

But, I'll say this, I'll pre-order it as soon as it becomes available. Especially if Boyd gets a mention.

I started leaning towards "Greatest thing of all time" after Notch said "It's his baby."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here