Valve's Portal 2 Mod Crashes Down on Skyrim

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve's Portal 2 Mod Crashes Down on Skyrim

A piece of Aperture Science comes to the world of Tamriel.

In celebration of both the Skyrim Creation Kit and its new Steam Workshop, Valve and Bethesda have teamed up to create a very special mod for the award-winning RPG. Titled Fall of the Space Core, Vol. 1, the mod stars Portal 2's galaxy-obsessed Space Core crashing down into the realm of Skyrim.

As seen in the video, players can pick up the Space Core and bring him along on their heroic quests. The Space Core can't wield a sword or cast spells, but he does appear to dispense valuable advice to the player, such as how dragons aren't in space, going to space is the only skill they'll need, and why doesn't the player try going to space already?

The mod's description also reveals that a particularly famous actor provided the voice for the Space Core:

"Since Skyrim was the only major release of 2011 without Nolan North in it, you should consider this mod a patch to fix that problem. You can now feel free to include Skyrim in the "Nolan North" section of your video game library, which is to say, your video game library."

The Steam Workshop is Valve's new digital platform providing a place for players to "discover, rate and download" game mods straight through Steam. Currently it offers mods for both Skyrim and Valve's own Team Fortress 2, but will no doubt feature more titles in the future.

Source: Eurogamer

Must download.....More companies should do this.

I saw something on this last night, and I was all "whaaaat?"

I guess it's legit, though. I'll have to try this. I think I might finally be ready to dive back into Skyrim.

Although I also want to try my hand at the creation kit. Hm. We shall see.

So if the Space Core is there then where did Wheatly land?

gigastar:

Possibly in New Vegas.

Wow. He drifted all the way to Nirn. Impressive.

I can't possibly click the Subscribe button fast enough.

Why doesn't the player try going into space yet?
We would, if the game didn't load the last save so fast when a giant tries to knock you into space.

...Use Space Core as a ball to play baseball?
The batter's a giant. :3

I was expecting a portal gun. I am dissapointed now. So disappointed that I am going onto my PC now...You see that Interior Cell called your house? Well, look inside that chest you own. Yesss, that's a portal gun mod for your house! Happy portaling!

You know what's funny? That the Steam Workshop lets you create and share all kinds of maps and mods for Skyrim, but for Team Fortress 2, the game it was specifically made for, it only lets you share hats.

Apparently i am the only person in the world that dislikes this meme, the only person on the internet that uses over exaggerated rage, and the only one that has annoying co workers.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The only thing i hate more than EA are portal fans and anyone that inserts portal into everything. So now i must add Valve to my "things i fuckin hate" list. Last thing that was ever needed was a mod portal fanboys. No its not irrational hate. The core was built to be a meme and low and behold it was parroted into infinity(and beyond apparently).

Now every portal jackass i know(and yes i have not burned all of them yet) keeps sending me this fucking link parroting it as the "best mod ever" and 'the only official mod" and it sickens me because they are 100% serious as a god damned heart attack after the god damned Batman punchees you in the throat. *gets text message* MOTHER FUCKERS! *grabs crowbar*

The only thing I hate more than Valve fanboys, are Bethesda fanboys, so... we cancel each other out.

GreatTeacherCAW:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The only thing i hate more than EA are portal fans and anyone that inserts portal into everything. So now i must add Valve to my "things i fuckin hate" list. Last thing that was ever needed was a mod portal fanboys. No its not irrational hate. The core was built to be a meme and low and behold it was parroted into infinity(and beyond apparently).

Now every portal jackass i know(and yes i have not burned all of them yet) keeps sending me this fucking link parroting it as the "best mod ever" and 'the only official mod" and it sickens me because they are 100% serious as a god damned heart attack after the god damned Batman punchees you in the throat. *gets text message* MOTHER FUCKERS! *grabs crowbar*

The only thing I hate more than Valve fanboys, are Bethesda fanboys, so... we cancel each other out.

A fanboy doesn't criticize a game as much as i do. If a group of bethesda fanboys saw me walk into a dark alley they would not hesitate to jump me. Of course that is over exaggerated(apparently a minority on the internet) but they would nonetheless hate my guts for the criticisms i lend to Oblivion, Skyrim, and NV. I also don't parrot memes into oblivion and beyond. I downloaded a mod to remove "arrow to the knee" and VALVE made one that inserts another meme.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

I was once a cynical gamer just like you...until my house took a space core to the roof.

Rednog:

I was once a cynical gamer just like you...until my house took a space core to the roof.

But seriously people, just to let you know. You are not FORCED to install mods. Getting all worked up about something you don't have to bloody install is really, really silly and does not really speak for a healthy mind.

valve and bethesda working together, could be the end of the world flooding in the awesomeness of this combination.

Monsterfurby:

Rednog:

You've done a great service to mankind today.

Monsterfurby:

Rednog:

But seriously people, just to let you know. You are not FORCED to install mods. Getting all worked up about something you don't have to bloody install is really, really silly and does not really speak for a healthy mind.

Yes and while i agree(i think i remember saying "no one forces you to download the child mortality mod") when everyone keeps telling you about it at every turn it makes the hate justifiable. I know apples and oranges in a way. With the child death mod it was knee jerk reactions and spouting "psychopaths" this one is fanboy wanking and "OMG BEST MOD EVER I WONT SHUT UP UNTIL YOU ADMIT PORTAL 2 IS THE BEST THING EVER OR ADMIT THAT X IS 10% BETTER BECAUSE OP THE REFERENCE OR YOU BLUDGEON ME TO DEATH WITH A DUMBELL!" Yes i know there are dozens of grammatical errors in that (run on) sentence that was the point. And while neither mod is required to be downloaded one of these is not claiming them mod is official TES cannon.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Snip.

You're acting out to an unreasonable, unjustifiable degree, here. It's a cute little mod by two fine games companies. No reason to add them to a "fuckin hate" list.

And do people REALLY tell you about this stuff at every turn, or do you go out of your way to look for it? Because I must say, I frequent the internet rather a lot but exercising simple judgement regarding what forum posts I do and don't click on, I even managed to make it through the cake days relatively unscathed.

Have a hot chocolate, breathe deeply, and feel better.

That's all it does...? Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for more core-related quests and whatnot.

That is amazing! I wonder if Wheatley will pop up somewhere?

Steve the Pocket:
You know what's funny? That the Steam Workshop lets you create and share all kinds of maps and mods for Skyrim, but for Team Fortress 2, the game it was specifically made for, it only lets you share hats.

wrong but nice try. It wasn't created for any single game. It was devised as a modding tool for use across steamworks enabled games. TF2 may have been the first to use it, but something had to be. As for it not incorporating mods, well it does, except it pays the mod guys and does it offical, if their up to scratch.

Well on maps, and weapon models, and clothes, even special effects.
Hell if you found a way to upload a new gametime im sure valve might give it a whirl. In a sense the tf2 one is better as it serves as a way for modders to actually make money from it.

gigastar:

He floats around the skills page sometimes

Amarok:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Snip.

You're acting out to an unreasonable, unjustifiable degree, here. It's a cute little mod by two fine games companies. No reason to add them to a "fuckin hate" list.

And do people REALLY tell you about this stuff at every turn, or do you go out of your way to look for it? Because I must say, I frequent the internet rather a lot but exercising simple judgement regarding what forum posts I do and don't click on, I even managed to make it through the cake days relatively unscathed.

List was a joke. Even then it would only be Valve because it was undoubtedly their idea to put the meme into the game. I remember every thing i hate relatively easily. But i apparently know more portal fanboys than is healthy for me and they refuse to stop telling me about it. I would have gone my entire life without hearing cake is a lie, "SPAAAAAACE" or hear someone speak in a mock glados voice had it not been for portal 2. They still boasted about how portal was the most innovative game ever, and how it was the greatest thing ever. But they had dropped the jokes. Know what else? Those same jack asses messaging me about the mod never shut up for three solid weeks about "arrow to the knee". Why? Because memes are funny to them. From birth to the 20th anniversary of it being turned into a dead horse and beaten; they parrot it. Arrow to the knee was losing loads of steam and portal 2 memes had fallen entirely off the radar. But then this shows up and ruins my mood by reminding them of that "spaaaace" meme and then that refreshed arrow to the knee and now i hate anyone that insists on repeating it day to day as if it were still funny. Memes alone do not stress me out. The constant repetition of a meme stresses me out. The same way being tied to a chair and forced to listen to nails on a chalk board would stress me out.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Amarok:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Snip.

List was a joke. Even then it would only be Valve because it was undoubtedly their idea to put the meme into the game. I remember every thing i hate relatively easily. But i apparently know more portal fanboys than is healthy for me and they refuse to stop telling me about it. I would have gone my entire life without hearing cake is a lie, "SPAAAAAACE" or hear someone speak in a mock glados voice had it not been for portal 2. They still boasted about how portal was the most innovative game ever, and how it was the greatest thing ever. But they had dropped the jokes. Know what else? Those same jack asses messaging me about the mod never shut up for three solid weeks about "arrow to the knee". Why? Because memes are funny to them. From birth to the 20th anniversary of it being turned into a dead horse and beaten; they parrot it. Arrow to the knee was losing loads of steam and portal 2 memes had fallen entirely off the radar. But then this shows up and ruins my mood by reminding them of that "spaaaace" meme and then that refreshed arrow to the knee and now i want to kill people.

get therapy. youre not well in the head if you are stressed by a phrase. you sound like the type of people who go in a bar and rage out when they hear a group of friends laughing and talking on the next table. people say hello to me all the time, should i get stressed and spew foam for hearing it all the time? better yet, get new friends, since you dont seem to like what youre hanging out with. either way, dont blame the jokes or the companies or the games. not their fault you get surrounded by idiocy.

and if youre attempting some sort of sarcastic exaggeration, its not working very well.

This will be even more outstanding if contextual dialogue about reaching space occurs if a giant swats it into the stratosphere.

draythefingerless:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Amarok:

List was a joke. Even then it would only be Valve because it was undoubtedly their idea to put the meme into the game. I remember every thing i hate relatively easily. But i apparently know more portal fanboys than is healthy for me and they refuse to stop telling me about it. I would have gone my entire life without hearing cake is a lie, "SPAAAAAACE" or hear someone speak in a mock glados voice had it not been for portal 2. They still boasted about how portal was the most innovative game ever, and how it was the greatest thing ever. But they had dropped the jokes. Know what else? Those same jack asses messaging me about the mod never shut up for three solid weeks about "arrow to the knee". Why? Because memes are funny to them. From birth to the 20th anniversary of it being turned into a dead horse and beaten; they parrot it. Arrow to the knee was losing loads of steam and portal 2 memes had fallen entirely off the radar. But then this shows up and ruins my mood by reminding them of that "spaaaace" meme and then that refreshed arrow to the knee and now i want to kill people.

get therapy. youre not well in the head if you are stressed by a phrase. you sound like the type of people who go in a bar and rage out when they hear a group of friends laughing and talking on the next table. people say hello to me all the time, should i get stressed and spew foam for hearing it all the time? better yet, get new friends, since you dont seem to like what youre hanging out with. either way, dont blame the jokes or the companies or the games. not their fault you get surrounded by idiocy.

and if youre attempting some sort of sarcastic exaggeration, its not working very well.

So because i hate hearing memes repeated constantly i need therapy. I shall alert 90% of the internet that it needs therapy. Would love to be rid of these people but you cannot really pick who you work with and most of the time they weren't this stupid. A meme is a stupid joke. A stupid joke that is funny at first. But its life cycle as a meme is: gets born, repeated several million times, dies, and gets repeated until people get bored with it. Can you honestly say that me wanting to slap someone across the face for saying it a thousand times(or stopping short just to spite me) is something i need therapy for? I worked retail and learned how to deal with bull shit. It was nothing compared to my home life but i can deal with bullshit. Someone repeating a meme hundreds of times is rude, annoying, and extending the life of a meme is just evil.

"You got your Portal in my Skyrim..."
"You got your Skyrim in my Portal..."

Pretty cool deal though. I'm excited to see what all players will come up with with this creation kit. Portal was the next logical step, so that begs the question. Where to now?

Argh! Space core's great and everything, but the only sphere I want to bring on an adventure is, of course, Rick the Adventure Sphere.

This sounds quite exciting. :3 *bolts to download*

Used to be in space, but then I took an arrow to the SPAAAAAACE.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Know what else? Those same jack asses messaging me about the mod never shut up for three solid weeks about "arrow to the knee". Why? Because memes are funny to them. From birth to the 20th anniversary of it being turned into a dead horse and beaten; they parrot it. Arrow to the knee was losing loads of steam and portal 2 memes had fallen entirely off the radar. But then this shows up and ruins my mood by reminding them of that "spaaaace" meme and then that refreshed arrow to the knee and now i want to kill people.

I never really understood how arrow to the knee became such a huge meme. I've only heard it a handful of times the whole time I've been playing, and with a huge gap between each time. You want repetitive dialogue, go chat to a Vigilant of Stendarr, or visit their heaquarters *shudder* that place has more repeated lines than Bart Simpsons detention blackboard.

Geez that guy needs the SkyUI mod stat. The vanilla menu was truly horrendous.

It's times like this that I DESPISE not having a computer with the juice to play games like Skyrim. I have it on my PS3, but.... spaaaaace...

Kiba Bloodfang:
That's all it does...? Kind of disappointing. I was hoping for more core-related quests and whatnot.

There actually are several other things the mod adds:

-Wheatley can be seen floating among the constellations of the level up menu.

-Taking the Space Core to Winterhold will allow you to forge a "Dovahcore Helmet", which is a hat shaped like the Space Core with viking horns.

-The loading screen will occasionally show an image of the Space Core with the caption "Space is the area above Tamriel that you see when you look up."

-The game files include references to something called "Portal2Quest", no one has found any new quests yet, but one might be out there. Also the "Vol 1" means perhaps its a hint towards future mods?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here