Ubisoft Apologizes for DRM Server Switch Screwup

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Apologizes for DRM Server Switch Screwup

Ubisoft has apologized for problems with its DRM server switch that have locked people out of games that were supposed to remain playable during the transfer.

Ubisoft made it known last week that several of its PC games would be unavailable for an indeterminate period of time because of a server move. No servers, no DRM, and thus no game, unless of course you happen to have an illegal, pirated copy lying around, in which case everything will work just fine.

Anyway, if there's one thing Ubisoft is known for, it's making bad DRM situations worse, and thus it will likely come as no surprise to anyone that the already-awkward outage has reportedly spilled beyond the games it was supposed to affect and knocked out games that were supposed to stay online during the changeover as well, including Driver: San Francisco and Anno 2070. Ubisoft had previously stated that both games would remain untouched by the blackout.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, it seems some of you can't connect to games announced as playable during migration," Ubisoft tweeted earlier today. The publisher has offered a workaround for Anno 2070, although at least one user is still having problems. And when will they be back online? "We expect services to be back up on Thursday morning," Ubi said in a separate tweet. "We'll provide status updates throughout the day."

Unless you pirated the games, that is. In that case, you can just go ahead and play whenever you like.

via: Eurogamer

Good old Ubisoft, bringing some much appreciated variation into our otherwise bland lives.

And no one in charge at Ubisoft even remotely thinks that it would be a good idea to not use this kind of DRM?

Come on, even EA dropped this kind.

Lousy double post. See below for actual post.

So, to recap:

Pirates can play these games fine.

Paying customers, you know, the guys you want to keep, cannot.

Or, in other words:

gigastar:
And no one in charge at Ubisoft even remotely thinks that it would be a good idea to not use this kind of DRM?

To be fair, this is the company that thought what Ezio needed was a TOWER DEFENSE game.

Nothing I could say would be funnier than having this happen.

Ubisoft is quickly becoming the main point-to on how DRM only hurts paying customers.

Zachary Amaranth:

gigastar:

To be fair, this is the company that thought what Ezio needed was a TOWER DEFENSE game.

While a devastatingly good point, i find it hard to imagine that a man in a pinstripe suit emailed one of the 11 or so studios working on Revelations then told them to find room to cram in a pointless, genre-shifting minigame.

Either idiots attract idiots or Ubisoft has nearly transcended EA in opressing its dev stuidos.

I'm glad Ubisoft's games are so unappealing. It makes not buying them a lot easier.

gigastar:

While a devastatingly good point, i find it hard to imagine that a man in a pinstripe suit emailed one of the 11 or so studios working on Revelations then told them to find room to cram in a pointless, genre-shifting minigame.

Either idiots attract idiots or Ubisoft has nearly transcended EA in opressing its dev stuidos.

Well, to be completely honest, I was thinking more along the lines of the whole "yearly iterations" schedule leading to them sticking in these new gameplay elements to satisfy customers without really changing up gameplay.

As such, I don't think they actually have to be more oppressive than EA, just think along the same lines of "churn out more sequels faster, dammit!"

But the idea of "idiots attracting idiots" seems to be fairly likely, with what we know of the gaming industry.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Nothing I could say would be funnier than having this happen.

I got something.

*turns on sarcasm mode*

It's a good thing they apologised. That makes everything okay. Now it isn't a problem any more.

*turns off sarcasm mode*

Let's hope the Ubisoft top offices are full of screams along the lines of "YOU DID WHAT?" and "GET THEM WORKING NOW!"

...or at least the French translations thereof. Heads need to roll for this kind of stupidity. Not that I'm holding out any hope of that.

I have two permanent solutions for this problem. One is to not use the DRM (haha, I know, it's a ridiculous idea). The other is to stop making PC games altogether (something you are constantly threatening to pull out of anyway). There are so man good studios that don't stick us with terrible DRM that doesn't stop piracy anyway and don't just give the PC terrible ports that were optimized by rhesus monkeys on heroine.

The real screwup was putting such a stupid DRM in their games. Buyers can't play their games while pirates are unaffected.

The server switch shortage is just a consequence. Oh, and some unprofessionalism too. This kind of server switches should take minutes, not days. But hey, who's expecting any better from Ubi?. Certainly not me.

Andy Chalk:
... you pirate the games, [...] you can just go ahead and play whenever you like.

Lol, I thought advocating piracy was against the forum rules? ;)

But yeah, way to go Ubisoft. You've sure shown everyone how you deal with copyright infringement! I'm sure you're customers are very pleased that your system is in place to do... well, whatever you think it's meant to do.

paketep:
The real screwup was putting such a stupid DRM in their games. Buyers can't play their games while pirates are unaffected.

The server switch shortage is just a consequence. Oh, and some unprofessionalism too. This kind of server switches should take minutes, not days. But hey, who's expecting any better from Ubi?. Certainly not me.

Oh I'm sure you got PLENTY of experiencing to move DRM heavy games from one server to a new one. How about you apply for their company and show how it's done in a day and you'll most likely get hired right away.

But that will never happen.

Btw what a surprise, my brother can play the latest Assassin Creed game without a problem.

Looks like this doesn't affect EVERY legit buyers out there. Maybe you guys should stop overreacting a bit.

Not to mention that Achievements in Uplay games can give you credit to buy some small DLC packs. Lets see if Steam allows you to do that at some point.

The DRM is also able to work Offline too. But I don't think you guys know about that so I'll just not mention it anymore. Assassin Creed series are actually quite fun.

Wicky_42:

Andy Chalk:
... you pirate the games, [...] you can just go ahead and play whenever you like.

No, no, no; you see, Ubisoft is the one advocating piracy. This is merely its latest campaign. If only they can get other developers on board, we'll have fewer people than ever actually paying for their games!

It's not your fault Ubisoft.

Ubisoft. It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault, Ubisoft.

(Commence Ubisoft breaking down into tears.)

Wouldn't be any worse then a book publisher stealing half of my books just so they can update the front page copyright info and then refuse to give them back to me because they broke in the move.

Temptation to pirate rising... Why the hell should I be a paying customer when I get locked out of what I paid cash for?

UbiSoft giving me reasons to never buy their games ever again
What they expect me to buy their stuff after they go and call the PC gamers "assholes" and Release the worst DRM in the world to punish the people who buy their games meaning the pirated copy is free and a better copy of the game
Thank god their Games suck (with the exception of Splinter Cell and Assassins Creed)

If this was a Valve game well I wouldn't be able to resist any longer than five minutes if I'm lucky but hey valve rock I don't think they can actually piss me off. (Even if it takes then another 50 years to make Half Life 3)

Baresark:
I have two permanent solutions for this problem. One is to not use the DRM (haha, I know, it's a ridiculous idea). The other is to stop making PC games altogether (something you are constantly threatening to pull out of anyway). There are so man good studios that don't stick us with terrible DRM that doesn't stop piracy anyway and don't just give the PC terrible ports that were optimized by rhesus monkeys on heroine.

It's kinda funny... despite calling all PC gamers pirates and attaching atrocious DRM, Ubisoft has a raft of great PC exclusives - Anno, Trackmania, Heroes of Might & Magic, Silent Hunter, The Settlers... All these have seen frequent and recent well-made sequels, so the PC market is obviously profitable to them. So yeah, I don't see them leaving the PC space in some time.

Maybe "Ubisoft" is just a weird experiment by the other publishers, to test how far they can push us with DRM until they loose all their customers.

isometry:
Maybe "Ubisoft" is just a weird experiment by the other publishers, to test how far they can push us with DRM until they loose all their customers.

I like your thinking.

But seriously the DRM fight is just giving me more reasons to pirate. I am actually running out of reasons not to. Sure I'd buy the game. But then I would Pirate it to simply avoid this crap.

So this is kind of a dick thing to do, but meh. Excuse me while I laugh at every single person who bought a Ubisoft game with this bullshit DRM on it and is now unable to play it. Hah...hah...hah

Seriously. At this point in the game I cant even feel sorry for the people who are locked out of the game they legitimately bought. Everyone at this point knows how god awful Ubisoft DRM is and they bought it anyway. Does Ubisoft still deserve hate for doin it? Totally and I plan to continue hatin on them for it and refusin to buy their games, but anyone who willingly buys their crap at this point deserves it.

Whats funny, not "ha-ha" funny, is that Ooziesoft won't take the hint and disable the always on connection required to play the game. They will continue to behave like that odd kid in the back of the class who holds his hat tightly, crying "I am a good boy! I am a good boy! I am a good boy!"

Do you even have to pirate those games to play them? Can't you just download a crack?

Wicky_42:

Andy Chalk:

But yeah, way to go Ubisoft. You've sure shown everyone how you deal with copyright infringement! I'm sure you're customers are very pleased that your system is in place to do... well, whatever you think it's meant to do.

There is a difference between advocating piracy and cold hard fact ;)

I am sure the ToS for the Escapist will change any day now to something along the lines of "No advocating piracy! (unless its an ubisoft game)

OT: Seriously, this made me laugh long, and hard, because everyone and their grandmother knew this was going to happen

Wicky_42:

Andy Chalk:

Contributors can say pretty much anything in regards to piracy short of "GO PIRATE ALL THE THINGS!" Plus it isn't really advocating piracy, just saying pirated copies are a better product.

I just hope that Rayman Origins for PC will be abscent from this DRM bullshit. I hope :S

Thanks for the e-mail informing me of the downtime Ubisoft....Oh wait that never happened!

This is exactly why I don't play Ubisoft games. AT ALL.

Just for reference, I happened to play Splinter Cell: Conviction last night. It wouldn't connect to the server, but here's something cool.

The game still worked. I just played it offline and the fun times were had for about 30 minutes before I got bored.

Kalezian:
Ubisoft is quickly becoming the main point-to on how DRM only hurts paying customers.

I'm sure that by "quickly becoming", you meant "reinforcing the the status they earned a couple years ago that"?

I bet that about 15% of the pirated copies of the game floating around are held by people who paid for the game and just sidestepped the DRM.

SupahGamuh:
I just hope that Rayman Origins for PC will be abscent from this DRM bullshit. I hope :S

Wait a week or two before buying to CONFIRM that it doesn't have DRM, they stated Anno 2070 wouldn't have any but guess what happened?

Irridium:

The Escapist, not an advocate of piracy, except when its implied in its own articles that piracy is acceptable. (Seriously, let's be a bit more discreet with opinions that contradict official stances).

SO anyways, Ubisoft screws up, apologizes, DRM gets another black eye and a select group of Escapist members get to continue to beat this dead horse into powder. Ubisoft should just change their names and try to reinvent themselves because the image is not looking good anymore.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here