Tim Schafer Raises $1.3 Million - Update Again

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Just dropped in and gave $30. As of right now they nearly have 950k. Whatever it takes to get us Psychonauts 2 eventually, man.

Also, holy shit someone bought the 10k pledge. The generosity of the video gaming community has once again amazed me. I haven't seen this much since Allison's robot arm.

I just hope Tim is laughing in those publishers' faces right now.

asacatman:
It's great and all, but...don't think it would be better if the million pounds or whatever went to charity, or something? Rather than an adventure game for rich americans? Ah, well, I guess it's like any entertainment product. I pay money for other games...Still, it seems a little off.

This fund exists because there's virtually no other way they could get the money needed to develop this game. Like he said in the video, he'd get laughed out of the building if he actually tried pitching an adventure game to a publisher.

Also, I'd hardly call a game with a $15 price tag "an adventure game for rich Americans."

The project has raised nearly a million dollars already and it still has over a month left to be funded. Do I smell AAA adventure game?

asacatman:
It's great and all, but...don't think it would be better if the million pounds or whatever went to charity, or something? Rather than an adventure game for rich americans? Ah, well, I guess it's like any entertainment product. I pay money for other games...Still, it seems a little off.

Well, look at it this way. To many people (myself included), Double Fine is like a breath of fresh air and originality in a stale developing world, and as someone who really enjoys adventure games, it's disappointing how little of a market big name publishers think there is.

And like Kitten said, $15 for a game is hardly for rich people. That's a fourth of the average AAA game on a console. Supposedly, the excess money will go to getting it localized and stuff, so it won't just be for English speakers.

Nearly hit 1 million lol, happily pledged $15 here

...sooo yeah, i headed over and chipped in 15 bucks... then i saw the counter on my way out... its just a little under 46k to a million bucks... that is unbelievably good!

seriously though, this is awesome, and the only way i could see this going even the slightest bit wrong is if all these people essentially buying the game ahead of time would eat into the games end profit by a significant amount...then again who cares since this thing is basicly guaranteed to brake even on launch day

asacatman:

What seems off?

They put up a thing asking for donations to make a game. People responded in an overwhelming fashion.

It's not like gamers never give shit-tons of money to charity. Child's Play alone has been making millions upon millions every year, with each year donating more money than the last, after all.

Hurray for 1 million!

Now Double Fine, I expect Grim Fandango 2! Or at least Grim Fandango xbox port! :D

$1 million in 24 hours. Madness? This is (kick)Starter!

In other news: Publishers, witness the power of an energized PC(/mac/linux) gaming community.

This is great. I'm definitely throwing in at least $15. I have a soft spot for adventure games and $15 is a good price point for taking a chance on one. All I really look for in my adventure games is an interesting story and - if possible - a sense of humor. Looks like this team can probably deliver on both so I'm willing to take a chance with them. The only thing that has me wavering is the $30 option w/the documentary. I'd really like to see a behind the scenes look at how games are made. I'm a bit less thrilled with the co-operative aspect of the project he mentions where he uses feedback from those who helped fund the project to develop the game. Too many cooks ruin the soup, you know?

Anybody who opposes the big publishing system needs to invest in this to prove this is a valid way for indie games to take off.

Free the shackles of oppression!

I'm not a fan of adventure games. Never clicked in with me (hardy har). However, I do have a respect for adventure games (especially the ones LucasArts did in the 90s) and think they have the right to exist in the gaming industry. I also believe that a part of the industry died when adventure games did. Also loved Psychonauts, a game that owes a lot to the adventure genre. So naturally seeing the fans speak up and supporting Tim Schafer and Double Fine gives me the warm fuzzies. Haven't decided whether I would join in, but I told a lot of my friends about it, many of them adventure fans.

Good luck!

EDIT: I have just learned that one of my friends in California knows where Double Fine HQ is. I ordered her to give them a hug from me.

One MILLLLLLLION dollars. rofl.

it's almost sad how traditional publishers have gone so far as to make the alternative so attractive.

Irridium:
snip

Radioactive Kitten:
snip

Taunta:
snip

Knew that comment wouldn't go down well, haha. Anyway, I looked on the kickstarter page (which recently passed 1 million) and you can buy the game for 15$. I didn't reaslise. So i'm okay with this, if they were just asking for the money, and you still had to buy it, it would have been annoying.

Oh and what I meant by 'Rich Americans' is that double fine is a niche studio, the kind that rich, educated people tend to play (yeah I'm generalising, sue me). But like I said, i've revised my opinion.

Farther than stars:
The project has raised nearly a million dollars already and it still has over a month left to be funded. Do I smell AAA adventure game?

I sure hope so!

bahumat42:
Anybody who opposes the big publishing system needs to invest in this to prove this is a valid way for indie games to take off.

Preach it brother! I have done my part and kicked in a donation.

ok now its just.
what the hell?

i should perhaps start to put my game ideas into practice.........

bahumat42:

No, this will not work for everyone, you know that if you are a fan of Double Fine you WILL like their new game, you may not find it the best game ever but it will be worth the 15$ for sure. A indie team that only made one game before wont have this amount of followers because no one actually knows if they are capable of actually deliver anything worth the 15$.

The ones that can do this kind of stuff first need to prove themselfs capable of such tasks. (I would give money to developers such as: Valve, Epic Games, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, From Software, Volition, and maybe some other that I am forgetting, in case they wanted to do a game that wasnt being backed up financialy by a publisher, because I know that they would deliver something that for me would be worth 15$.)

Aw shit. Credit card only? Fuck. Went in ready to give up my $100 (via Paypal, some of us want to use money we actually have, not live in debt).

Man, I miss the comedy of ye olde point and click adventure games. There were times when I would literally hurt myself because I was laughing so hard. It was this level of quality entertainment that put them on the hearts and minds of so many people. So if they can keep up or improve upon the quality of classic point and click adventure games whatever theme they may be, then they will always get support.

So, that's about an average donation of $40 US so far. Almost the price of a brand-new AAA title.

And this is before the game even exists.

Gotta say, I don't get it. I never liked point-and-click adventure games very much. But then again, my exposure to the genre includes such titles as King's Quest V and VI, and does not include such titles as Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango, so what the fuck do I know?

Seriously considering putting down the $250 for the signed promo poster. That's prime collectible material there, get one of those and take care of it for a few years and you'd be looking at selling it for $1000-2000 dollars, or more.

DanDeFool:
So, that's about an average donation of $40 US so far. Almost the price of a brand-new AAA title.

And this is before the game even exists.

Gotta say, I don't get it. I never liked point-and-click adventure games very much. But then again, my exposure to the genre includes such titles as King's Quest V and VI, and does not include such titles as Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango, so what the fuck do I know?

You should really look into the games LucasArts made from Monkey Island through Grim Fandango. Many consider that era to be the golden age of adventure games, which peaked with Grim Fandango.

From Monkey Island onwards, it was impossible to die or get stuck in a situation where you couldn't continue in a LucasArts adventure game, which is what I personally found annoying in older adventure games. I didn't like being punished for exploration and experimentation, but thankfully they found out that people might have more fun if they aren't worried about losing hours of work because they used the wrong items together.

Just dropped in to donate $15 dollars.

Hopefully it's as good as Myst. Freakin' love that game.

I chipped in. This is blowing my mind.

See, publishers and big-name companies? You act all cynical towards us. You say we're thieves and pirates and WE have to prove our worth to YOU. You rip us off with on-disc DLC and online passes and terrible DRM and still you say we're terrible people.

I mean, Capcom continues to believe fans wouldn't buy Mega Man Legends 3 or a new Darkstalkers (or Ace Attorney). Nintendo of America continues to believe fans wouldn't support Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower (or Mother 3). Sega continues to believe Shenmue 3 is a lost cause.

And then we have someone just go "hey, we hear you like these type of games. Publishers aren't helping us. Will you?" And we THROW THEM A MILLION DOLLARS IN A DAY!

That pleases me.

Backers

$1,053,120
pledged of $400,000 goal

days to go

And it just cleared the 1 mil mark. Nice. Would love to know exactly how long it took them to hit 1 mil.

Ya know, heres one thing that I don't get about the gaming industry. Unless something makes major cash then its a failure. I recently watched A Evening with Kevin Smith and he states in that that he will always have a job because even his movies that dont do that well always at least make a profit. And as long as he makes even a little profit then studios will keep green lighting his ideas.
In games if you do not make enough profit then you can go fuck yourself and you are a absolute failure.

It's over a million! Christ's purple cotton panties, that was fast! It still has a month to go! Why am I so emphatic about this?!

Seriously? Tim Schafer Point and Click. If there are five more beautiful words in the english language, I haven't heard them yet. 30$ from me in a freaking instant - honestly, I had to force myself to finish reading the article before rushing off to give them my money.

I do hope that publishers take note of this - niche doesn't need to mean "unprofitable". We WILL spend money if you give us quality. 1.1 mill in less than a day should prove that point nicely.

Meh. Got slightly excited until I remembered the last game that I played that Tim Schafer was involved in (Brutal Legend), and then immediately became not excited at all.

Y'know, if nothing else, this story just shows that publishers are dead wrong to assume that PC gamers are all asshole pirates out to get something for nothing. Clearly there are plenty of gamers out there who are willing to lay out their cash just to get a game in development.

NightmareLuna:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

I'm sure the worst thing for the guys at Double Fine now is waiting the 33days for the kickstarter to end& watching Tim go insane as the amount donated keeps going up&up&UP!

Darn that creeping insanity that stems from getting too many donations... A common problem nowadays right? Or maybe this is just because of Tim... He dah man!

I chipped in with $15 dollars, all I could afford atm but I say you go Tim!

It is a sad thing to see all these wonderful people go insane from getting to many Kickstarter donation. Think we need to get a Kickstarter going in aid of those who have gone insane from too many kickstarter donations.

-M

One million dollars in a day and a half for a medium sized studio for a game from a genre that is decidedly dead in the eyes of publishers.

That blows my mind. I can't help but wonder what Activision and EA think of this. Seriously, those two could make serious bank on just the promise of a game, not even the game itself. This business model could be pretty deadly in their hands.

Let's not fool ourselves here. This only works because it's Tim Schafer. If it was any other studio doing the same thing, they wouldn't even reach their goal after the full duration.

Not that I mind. I just wonder what they will do with all the additional money.

thatstheguy:
One million dollars in a day and a half for a medium sized studio for a game from a genre that is decidedly dead in the eyes of publishers.

That blows my mind. I can't help but wonder what Activision and EA think of this. Seriously, those two could make serious bank on just the promise of a game, not even the game itself. This business model could be pretty deadly in their hands.

The business model is about leveraging reputation and trustworthiness, into capital for game development.

Activision and EA have spent most of a decade destroying their reputation and making themselves completely untrustworthy. They are the Axis of Evil of the video game world. Would you chip in to Hitler's kickstarter project? I sure wouldn't.

Davroth:
Let's not fool ourselves here. This only works because it's Tim Schafer. If it was any other studio doing the same thing, they wouldn't even reach their goal after the full duration.

Not that I mind. I just wonder what they will do with all the additional money.

I don't know about that. I would support Obsidian, the guys doing Xenonauts, probably a gaggle of other smaller studios. If Codemasters promised to make me a new Overlord game I would definitely chip in.

Damn you bank not approving my credit card application! How do I fund this otherwise?

Mother of god, if only I could raise that much overnight...

WELL NOW YOU CAN, YOU CAN MAKE THOUSANDS ONLINE SITTING AT HOME DOING NOTHING!!!111!1!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here