George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Lucas you pile of shit dumped in a flannel.....If you told me 15 years ago that I'd be thinking this of the man who's movies I grew up worshiping, I'd say you were an idiot. Bioware is now my only source for Star Wars...

Lucas: "Don't say anything, just do it. And pull off that little ol' biddy. The shirt there, too."
Spielberg: "There, boy! I bet you can squeal! I bet you can squeal like a pig! [twists Indy's left ear lobe] Come on, squeal. Squeal now. Squ-squeal! WEEEE! Squeal."
Indy: "We-eee!"
Spielberg: "Squeal louder. WEEEE!"
Indy: "Weee!"
Spielberg: "Louder louder! WEEEE!"
Indy: "Weee!"

Well, at least we can still have our other truth, and nobody can take it away from us.

Cheney shot first.

Where does that closing quote from Harrison Ford come from? I'm curious about it's context.

westx207:
Where does that closing quote from Harrison Ford come from? I'm curious about it's context.

Harrison's actual quote was: "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it." He said it during the making of A New Hope.

And it's true. George had great ideas. He just can't implement them without help. Hence, why the old trilogy where he was challenged by a lot of good artists are better than the new trilogy where he was surrounded by yes-men.

Nigh Invulnerable:
I'm really tired of the debate about this. Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people! Let George go off and do whatever he wants with his franchise.

I would, but now he's telling me I'm remembering things wrong. He's gone from editing the DVDs to wanting to edit the neurons in my head. I'm sorry, but this "Ministry of Truth, Skywalker Ranch division" garbage has to stop.

Ugh. Lucas, I was actually kinda starting to respect you again cause of Red Tails. And then you pull this.

News flash; when it comes to any brand of fiction with fans this widespread, with a million interpretations there-of, Death of the Author is in full swing. And you don't help change that by outrightly lying to those fans, the vast bulk of whom by now have seen the original cut, either in whole or just that scene on YouTube, and know- with proof! -that you're lying. Maybe you INTENDED Greedo to shoot first. Fair to you. But that is NOT what hit the screen. And all the reshoots and re-edits in the world can't undo that.

Move on, Lucas. Just... move on.

Irridium:

Yeah... I don't think so Lucas.

Though it actually kind of looks like Solo just exploded on Greedo. Heh.

Note there is only one sound effect there. If there were two shots, we would have heard it. Is George saying that he originally had two sound effects, but one of them had to be cut for budget reasons?

We all know that Han only shot first because Greedo was gonna do it anyway. That's what a guy from a Western (like every character Clint Eastwood ever played) does. It's a bit cold, but ya can't blame the guy for wanting to stay alive. Lucas, continuing to plug his finger in his ears and go "lalalalalalalala!"

He's right... George is absolutely right.....

...Except for the part when you go back and actually watch the original where Han clearly shot first... then it turns out he's completely wrong.

.... who gives a shit who shot first?

This is silly.

George got money cancer in his brain. to cure himself he needs to get more money by making horrible sequels(Indy4), spin offs(bad StarWars stuff), and re-releasing StarWars about 70 times. Then he will get enough money to buy out the illuminati and mj12 plus some left over to found the UAC.

RIP Star Wars...

I don't fully understand why it needed to be changed. Even if he shot first, it was still obviously self defense. I mean what was greedo gonna do after he said "ive been looking forward to this for a very long time", stand up and leave? Go to the bathroom? Order a drink?

Quick! For irony, someone go find that video clip from Episode III of Darth Vader going, "Nooooooooooooooooo!" I think that sums up everyone's reaction to this, right? I'd do it myself, but I have no idea how to do it.

It's things like this that make me hate George Lucas and why he is the best candidate to stagnate his own creation (as if it needed help). Imagine how much better this situation would be if he had kept his stupid mouth shut and not declared anything on the subject. Even if Han shot first, he was still defending himself from Greedo, that doesn't change. Also, why is it so hard to accept that Han shot first in that scene but him gunning down endless stream of storm troopers still made him a hero. Gimme a break.

I've never understood the big deal about this.

When you watch the original clip, all you get is Han saying, "Yes, I'll bet you have," followed by blaster sound and a puff of smoke. You can't really see who's shooting what when. I'm sure the assumption is Han shot first because, well, Han's the one that isn't dead, but it's not like there's anything visible in the scene you can use as evidence for the assumption.

...y'know...other than Han not being dead. Stranger things have happened. I mean, looking at the original scene, for all I know Greedo shot first and died because his blaster backfired and blew up.

Edit: In fact, thinking about it, that'd be a more satisfying edit to the "special edition" than Greedo completely missing a stationary target for no apparent reason. Obvious technological malfunction is slightly more believable than being that bad a shot.

George, just stop, man. You're embarassing yourself and at this point, no one cares.

Well yeah, Greedo fired first. I thought everyone knew that. It's a silly thing to have to clarify.

poiuppx:
Ugh. Lucas, I was actually kinda starting to respect you again cause of Red Tails. And then you pull this.

Why? He didn't direct it.

I'm confused. Han was approached by a guy willing to bring him to Jabba the Hutt, known gangster, dead or alive. He was about to get the money to let him pay off the Hutt. He did exactly what any proper gangster would in that situation; that is, kill the bastard. So why would anybody think of him as a cold-blooded killer?

And in other news Oceania has always been in war with Eastasia

Why even argue this point? What's wrong with Han shooting first anyway? I always thought Han Solo was supposed to be the tough anti-hero to Skywalker's white knight Jedi.

i like the idea of greedo shooting first. you dont need to be a heartless murderer to be badass and honestly, i think han is more badass if he was just calmly sitting there, then dodged a laser and immediately killed greedo. it makes him seem like a good person, but someone who wont hesitate to defend hmself brutally, if you fuck with him

This whole argument is just ridiculous. George is wrong but it doesn't really matter character-wise. (let's just avoid the whole "retroactively altering the films" bit for now)

MajoraPersona:
I'm confused. Han was approached by a guy willing to bring him to Jabba the Hutt, known gangster, dead or alive. He was about to get the money to let him pay off the Hutt. He did exactly what any proper gangster would in that situation; that is, kill the bastard. So why would anybody think of him as a cold-blooded killer?

Because it makes him cooler.
Or because they see him protecting himself in the long term by killing Greedo before he can be taken to Jabba (to most likely be killed) as being a stone-cold killer and completely different from killing someone in self defense when they are immediately endangering you're life. Either way it makes no difference, that scene was alway Han shooting Greedo in self defense even though Han did indeed shoot first, originally.

And people wonder why other people are overly critic with George. The more he opens his mouth, the more I think that Star Wars was written by lobotomized monkeys who ate their own shit and wrote with their own blood filled piss all day.

Okay, that was disgusting, but seriously, couldn't George just shut the fuck up and stop raping his own movies?

Nigh Invulnerable:
Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people!

I'd love to, but Lucas won't release the fucking undoctored original versions of the films on DVD.

A seasoned bounty hunter wouldn't have missed a SITTING man at that range any way... WTF Mr. Lucas. WTF.

also-
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/29/han-shot-first.jpg

edit- and if a JEDI MASTER has no qualms with cutting of a man's arm for getting a little rowdy in a bar, then I'll be damned if a criminal wouldn't shoot a bounty hunter who already has a gun on him.

ok... I'm done now.

Next thing you know, they're going to add a completely-CGI scene where Han writhes on the ground and weeps for three minutes over the loss of his good friend Greedo. And then maybe they'll edit out all the parts where Stormtroopers get killed, and turn the lightsabers into really big flowers.

Mmhmm... dear Lucas, FUCK YOU!

Stop trying to make starwars child friendly.

From the fanbase

... didn't he promise to leave starwars alone???

Its better for the character for Han to shot first. Character arc and that kinda shit.

The truth of the matter is that Greedo did shoot first, no matter what anyone says. Now he may not have shot off his blaster first, but his intentions were clear. It's not exactly like he left Han any sort of choice... really what's a smuggler to do?

Raiyan 1.0:

poiuppx:

Why? He didn't direct it.

Red Tails had been a passion project of Lucas's for ages, trying to get the Tuskegee Airmen the movie they never had in the golden age of WWII patriotic hero films. He started developing it in '88, but ran into road block after road block trying to get major film studios to go along with it. He finally resorted to just fronting the money to do it himself. So no, he didn't direct it... he just did everything else, for decades, to see the damn film got made. So, fan-rage over Star Wars or not, I respect the hell out of his dedication to seeing heroes get the recognition they deserved a long time ago.

...Han still shot first, though.

Mcoffey:
Well yeah, Greedo fired first. I thought everyone knew that. It's a silly thing to have to clarify.

Except he didn't in the movie's original cut.

00slash00:
i like the idea of greedo shooting first. you dont need to be a heartless murderer to be badass and honestly, i think han is more badass if he was just calmly sitting there, then dodged a laser and immediately killed greedo. it makes him seem like a good person, but someone who wont hesitate to defend hmself brutally, if you fuck with him

I could see where that would be the case, but watch the Special Edition version again. Greedo shoots and Han survives, not because he dodged (in fact, he just sat completely still), but because Greedo just missed a stationary target not even a foot away.

Also, how is Han shooting first being a heartless murderer? Greedo was clearly going to shoot him, it's self defense either way. Han shooting first is just him taking initiative rather than gambling with his life to look like the good guy.

Im amazed people still care about what he says anymore. Enough to talk about it.

I would accept Greedo shooting first if he were obviously intoxicated. Establish that this low-rank mob collector has had a couple of Tattooine Sunrises too many to steel himself for confronting one of Jabba's top runners. With that established, it would be plausible for Greedo to unintentionally pull the trigger. Booze and guns don't mix, no matter what galaxy you're in.

Finally, Han doesn't actually react to a debt collector shooting at him. Yes, he missed, but still, that punk just tried to shoot me! Nobody pulls a gun on Han frakkin' Solo and walks away! If he had actually flinched away from the shot instead of doing the CG Slide, it would be more acceptable to the audience.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here