George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Lieju:

And I never said he didn't have the right to do the changes (although I am not entirely convinced he does). But my point was that the fans don't have to accept the versions with the changes as 'The real' Star Wars.

But that's the thing. The new versions ARE the real Star Wars now. Fans can ignore it all they want, doesn't make them right.

Lieju:

Bhaalspawn:

I know a certain group of cartoon fans who learned that the hard way, and it sure tugged on their Heartstrings.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The Korean soap opera?

No. Heartstrings was an unnamed background character on a western cartoon who's fans applied their own name to. When the company who owned the character named it, the fans flipped out.

Probably one of the funniest and most pathetic things I'd seen on the internet in a long time.

Bhaalspawn:

Lieju:

And I never said he didn't have the right to do the changes (although I am not entirely convinced he does). But my point was that the fans don't have to accept the versions with the changes as 'The real' Star Wars.

But that's the thing. The new versions ARE the real Star Wars now. Fans can ignore it all they want, doesn't make them right.

So, what? People can't choose what version they like and consider the right one for them?

They can't choose for themselves what they like and hold dear?
Is the 'real' Star Wars the vision inside Lucas' mind?

I doubt this discussion is going anywhere, since you didn't support your statement at all.
Just that your opinion of the creative process is, I guess, that the art-piece is constantly living and whatever changes are made to it by the person that thought of it first constantly shape it.

I suspect our views on art and who decides on the true meaning of it differ.

Nigh Invulnerable:
I'm really tired of the debate about this. Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people! Let George go off and do whatever he wants with his franchise.

I would be perfectly fine if the original un-modified versions were readily available but he keeps refusing to release older versions in proper modern format every time he makes more changes. Over all, I wouldn't care how much money he wants to dump back into the originals just so he can watch ewoks blink if I could easily watch the versions that I grew up with that made fans of an entire generation and made star wars the force (pun) that it is today.

You know, Eric Clapton has altered and re-recorded Layla many times over the years but never once did he refuse to release Cream's back catalog.

OK here we go.

Even IF, Han shot first. He still shot an armed man who was holding Han at gunpoint. So either way, Han was still in the right to defend himself.

Personally, I think Greedo still shot first but it really does not matter. Han is NOT a cold blooded killer, He only defended himself.

FLT

This video sums up George Lucas and ALL his evil plans! The monster!

"He's not a cold blooded killer"

If he honestly thinks that, then he has no clue what an arc is.

The idea is that he starts as a cold blooded, self serving smuggler whose service only extends to his pay. But as the series goes on he becomes a more likeable person and forms a friendship with Luke.

If he just started out that way, the character would be significantly less interesting.

Whatever it was, whether Lucas has lost his mind or this was his intention from the start, it was better before.

Predictably long thread is predictably long.

But yeah, hanging around Luke made Han less of a mercenary and more of a hero. He shot first. Too bad Lucas, the fandom's canon is the real canon in the eyes of the fandom. Just like how the prequels never happened.

How the hell is it cold-blooded to shoot someone who comes up to you with a gun and talks about killing you?

It's like he's just trying to provoke us now. lol

Here's an idea Georgie. Want to prove us completely wrong? Stop all the speculation? The Answer is simple!

RELEASE THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY, UNDOCTORED AND UNMOLESTED, ON DVD/BLU-RAY.

What are you talking about? Greedo always shot first. Han acted purely in self-defense. We have always been at war with Europa. Move along, citizen.

I can believe that Lucas wanted Greedo to shoot first all along. But the way the scene was shot, probably more the way the scene was originally edited gives no indication that Greedo ever fired a shot. I can only hear one sound effect, there is no blast directed at Han. So maybe the whole original scene was a mistake in the eyes of Lucas.

But the thing is, people liked that mistake. They thought it made Han a more interesting character and thus his character arc more interesting. What I don't get is that he can't seem to see how his audience think this was a mistake that made the movie better, and needs to be fixed rather than left alone.

I would like to think an artist would be able to say 'you know, I didn't plan it that way, but that turned out pretty good!' rather than this 'NOOOO! THAT WAS NOT PART OF MY ORIGINAL VISION!' thing Lucas seems to exude whenever he talks about Star Wars.

Ryvaken:
It's funny, I have the novelization of the movies. In that scene, no camera angles or special effects to worry about, somehow Greedo's shot was completely missed by the words, while the Cantina had a good laugh at the idiot that let his mark get his hands under the table.

Oh yes, the works of other authors holds no weight with Lucas, but I think even he would have to make an exception here. He wrote that book himself. So either he had a ghost writer (presumably fired before...um...well before I was born I guess) or he has some kind of long term memory issues.

Quite possibly both.

I'd bet on both.

Shhhh.... don't tell him that. He'll go and edit the books too!

Well, it looks like old George is barely grasping the frayed ends of sanity now...

I think Doug Walker said it best in this clip from his Batman and Robin review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUiE6YGxLM

I feel like at some point in the 90s Lucas had a vision that he would be killed by a Star Wars fanboy and so he set to work just ruining the series by making the new trilogy and more importantly, trying to retroactively ruin the classic series. Either that or he suffers from a compulsion that never lets him think anything is good enough and he constantly needs to work on it.

And I know it has been said before, but it does bear repeating: We are at war with Eastasia, we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Bostur:

Aiddon:
We all know that Han only shot first because Greedo was gonna do it anyway. That's what a guy from a Western (like every character Clint Eastwood ever played) does. It's a bit cold, but ya can't blame the guy for wanting to stay alive. Lucas, continuing to plug his finger in his ears and go "lalalalalalalala!"

Exactly, it's a do or die scene. If Greedo shot first Han would be dead.

It's similar to this scene, and I'd almost bet Lucas got inspired by it or another movie with a similar setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I

That wouldn't be surprising, considering all of the different stuff in Star Wars that it pays homage to, it wouldn't be surprising if ole Jorge or someone on the team thought it would be cool to show Han as a badass in a relatively simple way

out of cursorily i looked the original and edited versions on youtube
so either
sitution 1: han shot first
sitution 2: greedo missed at point blank range from across a table; then han shoots.

either way han does not die and the story goes on so who the hell cares about the small details

if the second is true then greedo must be the worst bounty hunter in star wars and died due his own incompetence

it is George Lucas's creation so if he says greedo(aka the worst bounty hunter in star wars) missed a point blank range shot from across a table; well i am perfectly fine with that

I'm starting to think that George Lucas says stuff like this just to be a troll. It wouldn't surprise me. :o

Goerge Lucas, you are an idiot!

When you get to the point where your fans know the franchise better than the original writer of it, that's a sign that he should probably stop fucking with it.

The whole reason why Han Solo shooting first was important to his character is because he was supposed to be the character with street smarts, the one who has survived up to this point by knowing how to wiggle and talk his way out of tough situations, and shoot first when that isn't possible. If you make it that Greedo shot first, Han just becomes some random pilot who happened to survive by pure luck.

You take the entire aspect that defines his character (cleverness and survival instinct) and throw it to pure chance. This is not good writing. I feel like someone should explain this to George. Or rather, that he should already understand it, given his USC film school education and all the years he's spent making movies.

Word of God, I'm afraid. If George says it is so, it is so.

Hosker:

Oh, really? GOOD!

George Lucas:
American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

He himself said this. Before Congress. Fighting against altering old, classic movies.

Just, you know, thought it was relevant.

My only thought besides "Move on, people!" is that if Greedo did indeed shoot first, he's the worst bounty hunter/mob lackey ever.

Uh-huh, sure George, whatever you say... though I'm not a proponent of the "Han shot first", deal, I could really care less. I'm suprised people take it so seriously... but then again, this is Star Wars we're talking about here...

Maybe its possible that Lucas was referring to some rule 34 fanfic. Where Greedo "shoots first".

Or maybe he is just a really bad liar

Its an interesting claim to make, as the original is so close in that you wouldn't be able to see a thing. I would have preferred there to be a smoking hole in the wall behind Solo or something that showed that a high velocity burst of energy just flew into it or something, but honestly, I'm tired of this debate. Can't we all just agree to watch the versions we prefer and leave everyone else alone? Buy the originals on their skinny case boxed DVD release, it comes with the messed around with version, and the laser disc. Play both. Or just one, or none. Its that simple.

Wow George, at least try to lie better. If you said that it was a production error and they forgot to put in the shot and the sound, I might believe you. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan like others out there, but even I've watched enough Star Wars to know that Han Shot first. Next you're going to tell us that Vader was always screaming no in Return of the Jedi, we just couldn't hear it clearly.

Why not make Greedo a terrible casual shot, therefore you don't have to add that rediculous neck move animation, make it hit someone on the other side of the planet for shit's sake!

And we all know that Indian Jones shot his death box first.

Shut your face george lucas. No one cares what you have to say about the original trilogy anymore.

Turbowombat:
Same character, not self defense. The only difference is now Greedo is halfway competent at his job. I like a character with competent villains.

Situation 1: Greedo lets his mark get a hand under the table, and gets shot.

Situation 2: Greedo lets his mark get a hand under the table, then misses him at point blank with a chest-height blaster shot, and gets shot.

Somehow, in your mind, situation 2 makes Greedo look more competent? Ooook.

SpiderJerusalem:

Hosker:

Oh, really? GOOD!

George Lucas:
American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

He himself said this. Before Congress. Fighting against altering old, classic movies.

Just, you know, thought it was relevant.

This should be quoted at the top of every page. By his own definition, George Lucas is a callous barbarian with no regard for art.

MASTACHIEFPWN:
Why not make Greedo a terrible casual shot, therefore you don't have to add that rediculous neck move animation, make it hit someone on the other side of the planet for shit's sake!

And we all know that Indian Jones shot his death box first.

I'm sure that we're only a few versions away from Greedo being tragically mentally deficient to the point of holding the gun backwards and shooting himself, over Han Solo's urgent and sincere warnings. ILM will no doubt be happy to animate the tears running down Solo's face as he pleads with Greedo to put the gun down before he hurts himself. For it is revealed in a hitherto unknown scene that Greedo is only so inept due to consuming a bad batch of spice Solo himself smuggled to Tatooine. A recorded alternate version of the the confrontation between Solo and Jabba outside the Millennium Falcon will be used, where he denounces blaster violence and spice abuse.

Mwahaha, this evening I feast on fanboy tears.

Irridium:

Yeah... I don't think so Lucas.

Though it actually kind of looks like Solo just exploded on Greedo. Heh.

Sorry man, but if you pause it at the right time, you can see the "impact" on the wall by Solo's head before he shoots the alien. This is a totally objective view btw, as i didn't even know what you all were on about till people started posting clips.

Correction Edit: I didn't see there was original and special edition. In the original there was only one shot, and it was Solo. In the special edition, there are 2 shots (2 sound bytes) and the alien shoots first. My apologies good sir.

So alien shot first, then Solo wasted him. :/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or