Planescape Creator Has "Kickstarter Fever" - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

**Maximum gaming boner engaged**

Some part of me hopes we could see orignal creator led sequels to a whole host of games from the last decade we were cruely denided follow-ups to. Hell we've already seen a genre game be funded that would see impossible for a publisher to even consider

Whoa. And thus, after three days, the world has changed. Suddenly, a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem similarly might have possibilities. Double Fine changed the game, and the way the game is paid for. Damn. That's just freaking awesome. Player-funded models might become much, much more viable, soon.

Irridium:
An old-school isometric RPG made by Avallone, Sawyer, and Cain?

I'm sorry, I can't hear anything over the sound of my massive erection.

Can you put that thing away? It's blocking both my line of vision, and my own excited member.

The only project I want Obsidian working on right now is Fallout 4. Bethesda should focus on making DLC for Skyrim, or Rage, or whatever other game they want that does not depend upon remotely good writing.

I know it's sad to let go, but the licenses for Planescape, NWN and KotOR are not coming back to Obsidian. And Alpha Protocol was simply not enough fun to warrant a sequel.

Andy Chalk:
Okay, simmer down, I was only messing with you.

Oh you cruel, cruel man.

Okay, never mind, I take that back. I think you hit the nail on the head in the next paragraph. Much like a failed and pitiful sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, a Planescape 2 would probably only take our hopes and dreams and stomp all over them. So I won't be so quick to "dare to dream", replacing that with "cautious optimism".

So game developers want to make cool games again. They just can't get funded by publishers unless they want to make something mainstream? Fuck publishers. Why is the entire entertainment industry being run by the middleman? They don't contribute to anything. Yet they have created this atmosphere where they want you to think that you can't do anything without them. Movie publishers, game publishers, music publishers etc. are all talentless greedy middleman assholes. Nowhere is this phenomenon as big as in America though. The entire fuckin' country is being run by the middleman. And they want copyrights for things they didn't make. So they could make more money they don't deserve. And then they wonder why people are starting to hate capitalism.

/end rant.

I want Alpha Protocol 2. And I want it to actually work. AP was a bugfest. I am willing to donate.

i would of thought that the kickstarter thing would be a way for you to go to the people who give you the big money and go look how much support we have now imagine what it will be like when its actually made

Great Scott! It's like companies have finally figured out that gamers will pay for the games that they want to see.

Seriously guys not a great leap of logic... :p Yay kickstarter!

ARghhh!! This can't be! *Signs over my entire years pay to support it*

I think an isometric RPG in a not so often used setting would be perfect for it. A fringe setting like Arcanum or Torment, but not a copy or a remake. New story ideas with old tech basically.

I was never as hyped for Psychonauts 2 as some people. I think making a point'n'click adventure was the perfect decision for Double Fine.

It should be pretty obvious from my avatar how big of a Torment fan I am, but I agree that another Planescape game would only work if it was made for the extremely small niche of people who would fund it. Gamers today are unfamiliar with DnD and especially with Planescape, and it's not a world that's easy to explain. They are also widely retarded and fall into a catatonic coma whenever a dialogue lasts more than 2 sentences (see: the Bioware model). Even if a second Plaescape story were to be funded, it would have to be a labor of love, without deadlines or publisher extortion.

Wait wait, hold on; we're essentially being given a choice here, a choice between more triple-A publisher-denuded dross, or both funding the development of AND THEN BUYING COPIES OF the game. And we're supposed to think this is a good idea?

Magichead:
AND THEN BUYING COPIES

You fund BY buying the game. Check out again how Schafer's project worked.

I now have this horrible vision of EA and Activision getting on the kickstarter bandwagon, then when they've milked the fans for all they can get, cancelling production citing 'insufficent funds'

Quellist:
I now have this horrible vision of EA and Activision getting on the kickstarter bandwagon, then when they've milked the fans for all they can get, cancelling production citing 'insufficent funds'

EA and Activision are publishers. I don't think anyone would give them a single penny. If they want a game made, they can fund it, that's their job.

As for the "Kickstarter bandwagon", personally there are only a handful of developers that I'd be willing to prefund. Only well known and proven ones, no chucklefucks like Notch who delivered a completely broken product and had the nerve to call it 1.0. Schafer and Gilbert, absolutely. Avellone, yes, if he promises to deliver without compromises to the writing. Molyneux as well, if he decides to ask for support to buy the Dungeon Keeper rights from EA and make a third installment that is faithful to the first two. I also want a new MOTHERFUCKING CRUSADER game, it needs to be made, and I would fund it. Mainly those, and a couple of others. Not much of a bandwagon, at least for me.

Carnagath:

Quellist:

EA and Activision are publishers. I don't think anyone would give them a single penny. If they want a game made, they can fund it, that's their job.

As for the "Kickstarter bandwagon", personally there are only a handful of developers that I'd be willing to prefund. Only well known and proven ones, no chucklefucks like Notch who delivered a completely broken product and had the nerve to call it 1.0. Schafer and Gilbert, absolutely. Avellone, yes, if he promises to deliver without compromises to the writing. Molyneux as well, if he decides to ask for support to buy the Dungeon Keeper rights from EA and make a third installment that is faithful to the first two. I also want a new MOTHERFUCKING CRUSADER game, it needs to be made, and I would fund it. Mainly those, and a couple of others. Not much of a bandwagon, at least for me.

Wow, calm down....it was just a joke, i'd throw down for a Planscape 2 or anything remotely related, i just couldnt miss the chance to bash the two worst publishers out there. I mean admit it, they'd do it if they thought they could get away with it

I have a better idea: how about we give money to a KS project for them to build us an ISO/turn-based game construction kit? Then we can make all the games and tell all the stories we want to (and even start KS projects of our own). You want the next Planescape/Fallout-looking deal? Write it then - we'll pony up the dough for all the genres we like and everyone wins.

I remember that the strategy guide mentioned a sequel for Planescape Torment. I wonder if they have design documents or an pitch for that lying around.

Do they plan to give the game free to people who donate above a certain dollar amount? Like, say, $25? They why not just call it a "pre-order", set a price, and say "we'll make this game when we get 300k preorders, tell your friends". It'd market itself, because the people who wanted to see it made would spread the word for you. At various levels of pre-ordering, you could, say, add extra features like texture upgrades or voice acting. Heck, you could even list out things like "these are the voice actors we want to hire, here's how much they cost, if you want to fund it, go for it". Or "here's the composer we want, here's how much she costs, if you want it, buy it".

That'd actually be quite neat, and it'd put a stop to "this game was rushed" or "they could have gotten better actors than this!" stuff.

Anyway, what would I like to see from Obsidian? I'd like to see a new IP, a full-on text-heavy RPG, and I'd LIKE THEM TO PROPERLY BUG TEST IT AND FINISH IT BEFORE THEY RELEASE IT PLEASE.

Davroth:
I remember that the strategy guide mentioned a sequel for Planescape Torment. I wonder if they have design documents or an pitch for that lying around.

They may never have gotten that far. People forget that Torment was a flop, only sold about 300,000 copies at first release.

Ahh Planescape *sniff, sigh*

I remember fondly the time I glanced at my inventory screen and found I was carrying my left index finger, my entire right arm, my right eyeball, and my intestines wrapped up in a bunch. Good times. Good times.

If they *did* make a sequel, it'd have to be a different character. I don't want Nameless resurrected (ha! see what I did there?!).

But a game where I can roam the streets of Sigil once more; cower in fear from the Lady of Pain; club people to death with one of my limbs; and encourage an old woman to split my skull open just to check if there's anything inside -- that is the stuff dreams are made of. Sick, sick, disturbed dreams.

EDIT: BTW ... I seem to remember there being a Torment novel ... or is that my imagination? I used to DM Planescape campaigns (it was really just a way we used so the same characters could visit the Inn of the Last Home, then Neverwinter, then float around in Spelljammer for awhile, before passing through Sigil on their way to Greyhawk Free City). The Planescape artists were very distinctive - far moreso than much of the other 2nd Ed artwork I feel.

The possibility of an Obsidian game not weighed down by the pressure and deadlines of the publisher makes me happy.

Seriously, what is it with Obsidian and publishers?

Yes, maybe it's unreasonable, but I would pay double to make a Planescape sequel happen. For me, it's pure nostalgia, that, for once, held up when I replayed it years later. It's the ultimate game of that particular genre to me.

Heck, I would pay 60 bucks for a Planescape Torment remake, provided they rework the content outside of Sigil, and jazz up the graphics and gameplay a little.

Sequel?
Hell... I'd settle for a remake with proper quest markers and a minimap.
Seriously, that's the main thing that's keeping me from finishing that game.

In an interview with the gaming community I am a part of, he said that his dream game for a project like this would be a isometric text heavy old school RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27204429/OOCCDDFree/OOCCDDEP20.mp3 ~ Approximately 34 minutes in, though I suggest listening to the whole thing.

Honestly, I think Obsidian should finish one of their games before starting a new one in any way shape or form.

Irridium:
An old-school isometric RPG made by Avallone, Sawyer, and Cain?

I'm sorry, I can't hear anything over the sound of my massive erection.

For some reason that made me giggle for like 5 minutes straight, I'm such a child!

OT: I gotta get the first Planescape torment game.....

If it's anything like Baldurs gate then I'll love it.

Planescape: Torment is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and Planescape is my favorite campaign setting for D&D. I've spent a lot of time reading the manuals for it just for leisure. However, I don't want to get my hopes up too much that this could result in a new game in the Planescape setting. I really don't know much about the state of D&D today and how easy it would be for them to make a video game set in one of their campaign settings, especially one that's long abandoned like Planescape.

However, even if the game is totally unrelated to Planescape in all but spirit, I'm exciting for what could come from this. I started Dragon Age: Origins a few days ago and it's making me very nostalgic for games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape. My interest is piqued.

Oh god, Dare to Dream! I forgot about that game! Wow so long ago... I'm pretty sure I never beat that one.

I would fund this so hard. You have no idea. All of my money.

It doesn't even have to be a Planescape sequel. I'd settle for any old-school isometric RPG these guys want to make.

A classic, text-heavy RPG from the guys who made Fallouts 1 and 2, as well as Torment, being made without publishers breathing down their necks, and funded by people who actually like that type of game rather than trying to appeal to a broad audience.

All of my money

i would certainly donate if they promise that the game has:

Infinity Engine PoV style or something close to it
party based, numbercrunching, turnbased (or at least rt on a turnbased ruleset)tactical gameplay
a 60 hours+ campaign
high customizability of the characters with lots of statitics, abilities etc.
no streamlining and dumbing down, a true oldschool crpg, if i wanted a more streamlined "lightweight" game i can play mass effect, dragon age etc.

i would give good money for a new bg, planescape or arcanum (in that order)

a new VtM Bloodlines would be nice as well

New Veges is not better than 3 and it never will be.

Sure, a return to old-school RPG form would be most welcome in this new, dark age of copypasta'd blockbuster releases, but honestly I really just want a way to kick modern publishers in the proverbial balls.

This could be good. The industry needs a middle ground between the big triple A stuff and the tiny indie stuff and this could totally provide that.
I would totally be down for giving obsidian a bit of money for a good old isometric RPG. I want the special system used though.

octafish:
*Looks at Avadon: Black Fortress icon on Destop*

You don't need money to make an isometric RPG Chris Avellone, you just need the will.

I was thinking about getting that game the other day, but the story and setting seem really generic. Any thoughts?

OT: I would MUCH rather a new Knights of the Old Republic. Yeah, yeah - I'm playing the MMO and loving every second of it, but it's not the same!

TheDoctor455:
Sequel?
Hell... I'd settle for a remake with proper quest markers and a minimap.
Seriously, that's the main thing that's keeping me from finishing that game.

Quest markers go a good ways towards ruining RPGs. They may as well play the game for you at that point. "Your target is right here. Don't bother looking around the world or talking to locals. Just walk exactly to this point and the quest is half done."

No thank you!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or