Amnesia Studio Teases a New Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Amnesia Studio Teases a New Game

Frictional Games, the studio that inflicted Amnesia: The Dark Descent upon the world, is up to something new.

In the mood for some fun? Look up some Amnesia: The Dark Descent reaction videos on YouTube. In the mood for some totally-not-fun, "oh God oh God I'm going to die" horrific experiences that will scar you for life? Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent yourself, ideally in a dark room with the volume turned up. Unlike most "scary" videogames, Amnesia doesn't go for the JUMP OUT AT YOU startles; it's a slow, creeping, relentlessly grinding slide into dread, abomination and horror. It's just about the most awful thing you can do to yourself with a videogame.

And now there's more! More of what, exactly, isn't clear but if you head over to nextfrictionalgame.com you'll see that something is up: the Amnesia logo, specifically, and "Something is emerging" laid over a too-blurry-to-be-useful image. A /whois reveals that the domain is registered to Frictional Games HB, so it doesn't appear to be a fake, and the page source says, "Welcome to the next frictional game site, a site with information about our game projects in development. We use this site to post content about a project in development, during the period it does not have a final name decided."

Also rather odd is that the image on the page links to a Google map of China. What could it mean?

Nothing good, I'm sure. Frictional's previous effort was the Penumbra trilogy, a well-regarded horror game in its own right. Given how far forward the studio moved from Penumbra to Amnesia, I have serious concerns that its next game will end up killing people.

via: Video Game Writers

I got Amnesia a few weeks back, it scared the hell out of me even though I had already seen a playthrough!
IT'S JUST THAT GOOD.

So an Amnesia sequel in china..? Cool. :D

Excellent news. I have both amnesia and the penumbra series and I'm always excited to get more horror games in my life

They have been working on a new game for ages this is just the first tease.
which is good they have had time to work on it already.
Though Im not gonna play it im not masochistic.

Can't wait. First silent hill 2 and 3 getting re-released and now this.

Gonna be awesome.

*rubbing hands together*
Ow boy this is going to be good, loved penumbra and amnesia!
bring it on Frictional i promise i won't use a walktrough now when i get scared.

Oh, so they are going to continue to keep making the same horror game over and over again? Great...

Andy Chalk:
Also rather odd is that the image on the page links to a Google map of China. What could it mean?

Oh Pissing Blimey there's rice coming out of the walls!
Or you could just be a male Panda who's forgotten where to put it and your being terrorized by zoo keepers with cattle prods and you have to keep dancing the Lindy hop to restore your sanity.

... If they get any better at this survival horror thingie I might just have to get out my teddy bear.

Amnesia... in China?...

You can take my money Frictional, ALL OF IT!!!

SupahGamuh:
Amnesia... in China?...

You can take my money Frictional, ALL OF IT!!!

Only got 20 bucks, hope that'll be enough :x

Hope it's a new game, these guys always deliver on the spooks.

I got Amnesia during Steam's holiday sale and haven't beaten it yet. Of 4 times I loaded it, twice I quit because of the tension. I haven't played it with any lights on so I think it will be slow going until I beat it. Three hours in I finally encountered my first enemy and alt-f4'd out. Only horror game that geniunely scares me.

There are very few games that have scared me so much that I have been unable to go back and play them again. Two of those games were Fatal Frame (Or Project Zero over here in Europe) and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Damn that shit's scary. Sadly, that's just the way I like my horror. I really must pick that game up again some time...

Silent Hill terrifies me but I've played them all enough now that I know when I am relatively safe. THIS on the other hand... you're never truly safe. This and Penumbra... God damn zombie/mutant dog things...

I wouldn't say I like Amnesia, more that it scares the MOTHERLOVING pants off me.

I once played it over a friend's house at night, with the curtains drawn. We all took in turns to wear the headphones while the others watched. And in the end, one outright refused to put them back on afterwards, two managed to keep going but were also scared bottomless, and I myself got to one part with a patrolling thing and I couldn't bring myself to step past the doorway behind which I was hiding.

OMFGYESTAKEMYMONEYNOW!!!!

*ahem* Sorry about that...

Seriously though, Amnesia is my favourite horror game and imo the best/scariest horror game ever. I can't wait to hear more about this.

Eh. China is a terrible, horrible venue for any medium, let alone horror.

Japan? Korea? Those are interesting. China without Chinese culture? Doable. "Chinese," though? Hell no.

Then again, if it's anything like The Dark Descent, the setting isn't gonna matter in the slightest, and I'm excited as tits for it.

Oh hell yes.

I await this... whatever it is with baited breath.

Andy Chalk:
Given how far forward the studio moved from Penumbra to Amnesia, I have serious concerns that its next game will end up killing people.

...Mission accomplished?

Less Horrible, More OT: Anything that Frictional Games is working on has me stoked, especially if it creates another slew of hilarious reaction videos.

EDIT: OH MY GOD does that blurred picture look even more creepy when seen seen in a more condensed resolution!

Awesome. Looks like all my favourite horror LPers will playing this... Whatever it is when it's released.

I'd play it myself but my laptop is beyond horrible when it comes to anything remotely recent... It runs Deus Ex perfectly though! (just got it today, along with some frankly ludicrously awesome Steam sales) You have exceeded expectations!

Doubt they'll do a console port though unfortunately. It'd be nice but I doubt they'd make the effort.

do want *_* amnesia was one of the scariest horror games I played, I would even argue that it's scarier than SH, even though I love that series to death. The fact that you can't fight made the game for me. I hope Frictional games can make something just as awesome

Here's what I want:
-More awesome Monster sequences, less predictable appearances; where they're more tenacious, and where the music doesn't herald their departure.
-More in-depth hiding than a shadowy corner and looking away. For example, hiding in a crate, but opening it is loud and can attract the monster, or hiding on a pile of dead bodies; quicker and quieter, at the cost of your sanity.
-More complicated puzzles

Wait, a Chinese horror game? Duuuuuuuude. This is going to be interesting.

Hmmm, well to be honest I didn't think Amnesia was all that great a game. To be honest I thought the Portal 2 addition was more interesting and clever than the original game.

My basic opinion is that horror is one of the hardest generes to write for. Amnesia is one of those cases where what made it scary was arbitrary limits it put on the player character, so I wound up feeling just as detached from the game and any paticular feeling of dread the same way that playing a "horror" game as a genetically augemented commando does it in the other direction. Basically, it had atmosphere in spades, but in the end it was sort of like "King's Quest" or other old Sierra Game where you do the wrong thing or fail a puzzle and some cartoon monster kills you, except with a more serious art palette. When playing it as far as I got I felt more like "dang that was annoying, almost got it that time" more than anything.

While hardly perfect, I think something like "Fatal Frame" represents a sort of "sweet spot" for horror gaming. It managed to generate a really immersive atmosphere, and the whole combat via "psychic camera" while a sort of goofy idea when you think about it, along with the choice of protaganists, managed to create a nice compromise in terms of the monsters (ghosts in this case) being scary, especially seeing as how they became even freakier when you aimed at them and could see the details, without making things seem arbitrary, and also explaining why your character might actually be doing something heroic (and thus being the subject of the game) as opposed to just being another victim.

Amnesia DID have it's back story and explained things eventualy, but really to me it was like someone tried to do a classic sierra game from a first person perspective, and they didn't really carry it off well.

That said, they do have potential, I'm interested in seeing what their new property is.

As far as the picture of China goes that could mean a lot of things. China is a common source for cursed objects and such to have come from in horror. Given the enviroment in China nowadays I'm not quite sure them setting a game there would go over well with either the Chinese authorities or people outside the country, so if I had to make an educated guess we're probably going to find China fits into the lore or objects crucial to the plot, but the game probably isn't set there.... unless the game is going very retro again.

GreatTeacherCAW:
Oh, so they are going to continue to keep making the same horror game over and over again? Great...

Stick with what you know I guess. It seems like the way that a lot of developers are going. Remake the same title over and over again!
Although, I would buy an Amnesia clone in a new setting.

Clive Howlitzer:

GreatTeacherCAW:

Stick with what you know I guess. It seems like the way that a lot of developers are going. Remake the same title over and over again!

True. I guess it works for some. I would buy an Amnesia clone, as well. Funny since Amnesia was just a Penumbra clone in a new setting. So with this new game coming out, they will have successfully made Penumbra five different times.

GreatTeacherCAW:

Clive Howlitzer:

GreatTeacherCAW:

True. I guess it works for some. I would buy an Amnesia clone, as well. Funny since Amnesia was just a Penumbra clone in a new setting. So with this new game coming out, they will have successfully made Penumbra five different times.

And as long as every time, people react like this:

...then I'm OK with this.

Oh? Really? A new Amnesia game? So, I should refrain from too many other activities in the house, as the cannon-like stream of terrified piss could damage property now? I should also probably alert my neighbors, as the terrified screams of panic wouldn't be me getting murdered, but being absolutely scared witless and soundless by a video game?

I'll get right on that. Best to warn them early.

My biggest problem with Amnesia is that it is no different than any other survival horror game. Alright so you can't fight back, big deal. Reality sets in and you notice that everytime you solve a puzzle you get attacked. The game makes you collect a lot of pointless shit to get ahead. Yeah it's a good game, but it follows the same basic principles as Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

--

Amnesia was awesome and in my opinion the best horror anything ever made (as well as an awesome game in it's own right), but there's definitely room for improvement. I can't wait to see what they do next.

OOOH YES!

Absolutely cannot wait, hope they do not tone down the frights. Keep it as scary, or even scarier! Cannot wait :D

Shawn MacDonald:
My biggest problem with Amnesia is that it is no different than any other survival horror game. Alright so you can't fight back, big deal. Reality sets in and you notice that everytime you solve a puzzle you get attacked. The game makes you collect a lot of pointless shit to get ahead. Yeah it's a good game, but it follows the same basic principles as Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

i agree. its a good game but i dint find it scary at all. if i saw a monster, i just hide in a wardrobe or in the dark. nice atmosphere but not one single moment in the game scared me or made me feel scared.

Console version? Please?

Though, I suppose as we get most of the best versions of fps' it's kinda only fair that PC gets the best survival horror...I just wish we got SOME survival horror.

And no, AMY does not count. Ever.

Another game from the Amnesia guys? I don't care how loudly I screamed when I walked past the Iron Maiden, I'm getting the next one!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here