Two Million Skyrim Mods Downloaded on Steam

Two Million Skyrim Mods Downloaded on Steam

The release of the Creation Kit is just another feather in Skyrim's leather helmet.

In case you were under a mountain for the last four months, Skyrim is kind of a big deal. The Escapist named it our 2011 Game of the Year, and countless other outlets have praised the open-world mechanics and the feeling of adventure Skyrim offers. Part of the appeal, at least for PC gamers like me, is the ability to mod the game's code to suit our specific tastes and Bethesda made that even easier with the recent release of the Creation Kit. In the first three days after Bethesda released the CK on February 7th, the Maryland developer reported more than 2 million downloads of 2,500+ mods through the Steam Workshop. Add those numbers to the fabulous sales Skyrim continues to see, and the devotion of its fans is undeniable.

"Data from Steam, the digital download service, reveal that the average number of hours that a gamer plays Skyrim exceeds 75 hours," the announcement from Bethesda read. "The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release, and Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history."

Given how many people play Skyrim via Steam, an average playtime of 75 freaking hours is a pretty amazing statistic.

A few years from now, when we look back at 2011, Skyrim might be seen as a watershed moment for gaming. It is not a perfect game - I don't think a game exists that pleases everyone - but it satisfies so many clusters of neurons in gamers' brains that it may just end up on the FDA restricted list. "But it just feels so good."

And now with the ability to further mod the game to meet any need, and tell any story, the drug of Skyrim just got so much more potent.

People keep on praising this game but I honestly found it to be mead-y ogre at best.

One of the best games ever, mods making it bettererererer and more how i WANTED the game to be. Revamping the enchanting, alchemy, magic (With the Midas Magic mod, seriously, keep an eye on it, one of the best mods for Oblivion was it's precursor)

Any news on DLC?

That reminds me, really gotta subscribe to a nice UI mod on the workshop. Any good ones on there, or are most modders all still on Nexus?

I'm delighted that Steam Workshop is working so well.

That said, I'm surprised Skyrim made so many Game of the Year awards. I've logged 106 hours to it and I can only say that it's good, but not great. I still think that Fallout 3 and New Vegas are substantially better as an overall experience, and that Skyrim simply has more polish. I think it does many small things well (some quests are brilliant, fighting dragons is way fun) but as a whole it fails to really immerse me.

Mods are fun, though.

Really? I thought that Dragon Age 2 was the pinnacle of RPGs.

Snark aside, I'm just happy that there are still developers out there who support modding. After Creative Assembly butchered the modding scene for Total War after Empire was released, I'm glad to see other developers are embracing it.

Dalvyn:
Any news on DLC?

Meh, not even reached the half way point on the main quest after 114 hours.

Too much fun exploring :3

OT: Thats quite good, me personally I've only downloaded about 4 or 5 mods. and I need to download the 3 gb texture pack (At a rate of about 30kb/sec -.- FML)

TheBobmus:
That reminds me, really gotta subscribe to a nice UI mod on the workshop. Any good ones on there, or are most modders all still on Nexus?

search for SkyUI. its in the workshop. also find sth called Item Sorting.those two together make one of the biggest issue the game had(the Menus), disappear in thin air. oh and btw, the menus were only a problem for PC input control. the menus(and the game) play really nicely with a controller.

I still highly recommend sticking to Nexus Mod Manager and the mods on the Nexus.

That said, I do use both to some extent, but I just don't like some aspects of Workshop. Like the way it removed some of my subscribed mods, no warnings or anything.

It also takes a while to determine if your mods are up to date.

What I like with NMM is how easy it is to see if a mod is updated via the "current version" and "latest version" tabs. The only advantage of Workshop is that it auto updates, but that can also be a detriment for some mods, if you like a previous version for example.

On top of that, I find browsing Workshop is very clunky. The mod categories aren't specific enough so you can spend a lot of time browsing through pages and pages of mods to find something you like. I much prefer the obvious categories on Nexus combined with "sort by endorsements".

Also, Creation Kit is bad ass. I'm very new to it but I have a bit of a plan in my head to create an epic player funded battle against bandits in a castle. And once you take the castle, you get to keep it and pay an NPC to upgrade it. You'll also have to buy guards to patrol it as every few days you might get attacked by bandits or Imperial/Stormcloak depending on which side you support. Of course this might all just be a pipe dream, but that would be really cool.

Finally, I made a big post with my favorite 40-50 mods, which you can view by checking out my website through my profile. Apparently I'll get a suspension for actively linking to it, so I hope this falls within the guidelines as I think it is a great resource for people interested in Skyrim mods.

DVS BSTrD:
People keep on praising this game but I honestly found it to be mead-y ogre at best.

I was like that at first but then then it really sword in my esteem.

Greg Tito:
snip

In case you were under a mountain for the last four months......

So... are you saying Skyrim sold more than CoD MW3?

Edit: 'Skyrim is up to ~12-18 million copies' some PC gamer just told me so...

Is that what I just read? No?

The gamers have spoken. They speak with their wallets, and Skyrim mods are taken way more seriously than they deserve to be.

It's great that the 'minority' that are PC gamers have something to talk about, but let's be serious for a minute...

Skyrim has to have mods and a dev creation kit because the game runs like shit for PC gamers.

After they (Bethesda) flat out said developing a game for the PC is more than a head ache worth doing, and after the 'RAGE' kids flamed the release (PS3 kids have a right to bitch too) on the PC, a tiny number like 2 million is supposed to be impressive?

Where is the (some forum member) Dragon Age 2 guy who thought that 2 million is a silly low number for game sales? What can he say about this??

A few years from now, when we look back, there/this isn't anything different from when Oblivion was released.

The vocal minority are once again just dust in the wind.

Sober Thal:

Greg Tito:
snip

So... are you saying Skyrim sold more than CoD MW3?

Is that what I just read? No?

The gamers have spoken. They speak with their wallets, and Skyrim mods are taken way more seriously than they deserve to be.

It's great that the 'minority' that are PC gamers have something to talk about, but let's be serious for a minute...

Skyrim has to have mods and a dev creation kit because the game runs like shit for PC gamers.

After they flat out said developing a game for the PC is more than a head ache worth doing, and after the rage kids flamed the released (PS3 kids have a right to bitch too) on the PC, a tiny number like 2 million is supposed to be impressive?

Where is the (some forum member) Dragon Age 2 guy who thought that 2 million is a silly low number for game sales? What can he say about this??

A few years from now, when we look back, there isn't anything different from when Oblivion was released.

The vocal minority are once again just dust in the wind.

...Are you for real?

Skyrim is up to ~12-18 million copies (more than any other title aside from jock juggernaut MW3, with Battlefield 3 having sold at least 10 million, almost certainly more), of which we can assume that at least 1/3 are PC sales. 'Cause seriously, if you're buying into the "PC gamers are a minority" argument you're certifiable. 5+ million daily active Steam users and an install base of upwards of 40 million simply bear this fact out.

And the PC userbase just downloaded 2 million mods in the first three days. What exactly is small about this number?

A few years from now, we will have Nehrim-scale total conversions, Elsweyr-style additional lands to explore, and hundreds of thousands of mods (and thousands of nude mods, but that's beside the point). And if, as I suspect, Skyrim's relative quality and lack of bugs (compared to Oblivion) makes it the new Morrowind, we will have a healthy, active, fanatical community producing great content for many, many years to come.

omicron1:
'Cause seriously, if you're buying into the "PC gamers are a minority" argument you're certifiable.

One third (the numbers you say) of any given topic would be realistically and factually called a minority. Just so ya know.

I will accept my 'certification' by email sent to this avatar on this site. Thanks.

2 million is small when compared to over 10 million. That's what I' talking about. When you say (even as a joke) that thousands of the mods are nude mods, you further make me feel like the majority of them are pointless shit.

For the record, I do not disagree when you say there is -'a healthy, active, fanatical community producing great content for many, many years to come.'-

I just don't see it as a big deal considering the track records.

'Sorry Miss Jackson...'

EDIT: Are you talking about this?

Is this the cream of the mod crop? I found that the best mods are just tweeks, not real games. Unless you count the whole DOTA thing. But look at how that has spoiled by means of legal blood.

I say, let us look at how Notch stole a game engine and made millions off of it plus his hard work. Now that's impressive, not a few million nude/child killing/menu enhancement mods.

This is a little intimidating now. I'm beginning to wonder if anybody is ever going to stop playing this game. I'm hesitant to buy it for this very reason. What little social life I have will disappear. It will consume me, I'm just trying to prolong the inevitable event.

Sober Thal:

omicron1:
'Cause seriously, if you're buying into the "PC gamers are a minority" argument you're certifiable.

2 million is small when compared to over 10 million.

2 Million is still high when you consider it's a development tool, not to mention a lot of gameplay tweaks are already up on the nexus.

I wish that you could mod the console versions. Or that I had a computer capable of running this game. Curse my financial inability to replace this five-year-old MacBook.

Here's the thing. 2 million is just the Steam Workshop side of mods. It doesn't include Skyrim nexus, easily the biggest mod database for Skyrim, or other third party places such as Lovers Lab. Many people, myself included, avoid the Steam Workshop because it doesn't have the tools that Nexus does.

Jodah:
Here's the thing. 2 million is just the Steam Workshop side of mods. It doesn't include Skyrim nexus, easily the biggest mod database for Skyrim, or other third party places such as Lovers Lab. Many people, myself included, avoid the Steam Workshop because it doesn't have the tools that Nexus does.

Also, because they don't allow nude mods.

What? Statistically, the amount of downloads for those are probably larger than the others across all of the sources COMBINED.

Jodah:

The nexus said they had 4.4M downloads the first week of the creation kit's arrival, that brings the total number to a little over 6M

Steam,steam,steam...whatever , the nexus is still the biggest most popular mod site for bethesda games.

Mekado:

Jodah:

The nexus said they had 4.4M downloads the first week of the creation kit's arrival, that brings the total number to a little over 6M

Steam,steam,steam...whatever , the nexus is still the biggest most popular mod site for bethesda games.

Yep and who knows how many were downloaded from Nexus prior to the CK.

weirdguy:

Jodah:

What? Statistically, the amount of downloads for those are probably larger than the others across all of the sources COMBINED.

I wouldn't go that far but I do agree a very large portion of all mods downloaded are nude mods.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here