EA Launches Mass Effect 3 Discs into Space

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

poiumty:
[quote="Andy of Comix Inc" post="7.351195.13889013"]]Are you seriously criticizing ADVERTISING for being "attention-grabbing"? Seriously? That's like complaining that your soda is too wet, or that your car goes too fast.

Dead Space 2 and Dante's Inferno campaigns shed a bad light on the industry and gamers in general. This is entirely harmless.

sure it sound harmless, but you just KNOW some nut is gonna show up to the landing site with a shotgun...

rhizhim:
everyone is using the word space.

EA is launching six games into NEAR space. this is easier to do than actually launch them into space.

Kajin:
I wonder how bad the PR would be if one of the games killed someone on reentry.

looking back how they marketed dead space, they would market it as a killer of a game.

Racecarlock:
I'm not a marketing or finance expert, but this sounds a little fucking expensive. This is like celebrating a need for speed launch by buying 6 bugatti veyrons made out of solid gold.

no it is not expensive at all. you just need a string, a weather balloon and helium. that might cost you max 40-50$, tracking device included. they wont attach a camera since they don't want to get these copies back.

the funny thing will be that if they launch them at the same time one person is going to end up with 6 copies of mass effect 3, making this an epic failure.

SurfinTaxt:

Instead of doing this shit which, to be perfectly frank, is fucking stupid, they should give those advance copies to starving african kids to play. Or sell on ebay for like food or a bowflex or something

so they can play mass effect 3 on mudbricks while starving to death?
or they can sell the copies for food? to whom? and how are they going to ship that?
bowflex? so they can work out without proper nutrition? muscles don't work that way...

if people would really like to help people in africa out, they would invest in african farmers (50$) instead of buying mass effect 3 on their 250-500$ consoles for 60$.

relax, it was a joke. A pretty obvious one at that

SurfinTaxt:

rhizhim:
everyone is using the word space.

snip

the funny thing will be that if they launch them at the same time one person is going to end up with 6 copies of mass effect 3, making this an epic failure.

SurfinTaxt:

Instead of doing this shit which, to be perfectly frank, is fucking stupid, they should give those advance copies to starving african kids to play. Or sell on ebay for like food or a bowflex or something

so they can play mass effect 3 on mudbricks while starving to death?
or they can sell the copies for food? to whom? and how are they going to ship that?
bowflex? so they can work out without proper nutrition? muscles don't work that way...

if people would really like to help people in africa out, they would invest in african farmers (50$) instead of buying mass effect 3 on their 250-500$ consoles for 60$.

relax, it was a joke. A pretty obvious one at that

INTERNET! Y U TURNING ME INTO SHELDON?

Link XL1:

poiumty:
[quote="Andy of Comix Inc" post="7.351195.13889013"]]Are you seriously criticizing ADVERTISING for being "attention-grabbing"? Seriously? That's like complaining that your soda is too wet, or that your car goes too fast.

Dead Space 2 and Dante's Inferno campaigns shed a bad light on the industry and gamers in general. This is entirely harmless.

sure it sound harmless, but you just KNOW some nut is gonna show up to the landing site with a shotgun...

And here's me thinking I was being original. Looks like I'm gonna have to go bigger.

"Madman with gun tracks spaced game to field, kills everyone there"

"Several wounded and 2 dead in fight over spaced game"

I don't like the fact that these two sentences were the first to pop into my head as I was reading this. I need to lighten up.

That's not space!

"EA ties game discs to weather balloons and lets them drift up pretty high" isn't as attention grabbing I suppose.

Anyway as I recall this was done better by the Tabula Rasa dude like a long time ago.
Launching gamers DNA into space, man that's way cooler.

razer17:
I assume they are wrapping them or something, otherwise all we get is a smashed disc. Also, I imagine that one of these might end up on eBay. We all remember how much pre-release copies of MW3 sold for their.

EA better put it in some kind of special packaging not just for it not to break, but the case itself or something because there will probably be people that will buy an extra copy of the game and try and pass it off as one of the space copies to get an extra buck on E-Bay. Knowing how many idiots are out there, there will probably be people that will believe them.

Well that's just stupid.

If I hadn't already made my decision to completely ignore Mass Effect 3, this would probably have done it.

<groan>

Fucking stupid marketing gimmicks, and EA. This was one of those things I felt was so retarded that I had to log in just to throw my two cents at the internet.

This is so delicously trolling and yet so awesome at the same time.

I predict screaming mobs tearing each other to pieces at the projected landing sites. Because, y'know, people are dumb.

-Find a copy.
-Take disk.
-Replace disk with a copy of Dragon Age 2.
-Hide it in the back of a Taxi/Bus.
-Watch the hoard of hairy neckbeards hoof it around the city trying to figure out where it's gone.
-Collect tears when they finally get it and it's not ME3.

One day, one wonderful, wonderful day, game marketing departments will consist solely of one guy whose job is to post gameplay trailers onto YouTube.

So what was the purpose? In case some IRL Reapers come along, they can play this game so that they know that if they invade us we will mess them up?

Oh I thought they were sending some copies of the game into space as some sort of message to aliens, probably "Don't fuck with us, we have commander Shepard."

I don't get how launching copies into space will affect the hype, sales or publich knowledge about the product even the slightest. I can however see how launching a copy of the Origin store into space would have made for a perfectly good joke about the creation of the Reapers.

Andy of Comix Inc:
So... EA's marketing department hasn't learned any lessons from their previous gimmicky failures? No? Nothing from Dante's Inferno or Dead Space 2? ...okay then.

Especially when this game honestly doesn't need it. "Mass Effect 3." ...upon hearing that, you know if you need it or not. Launching discs into space and tracking their decent to Earth... it sounds cool, doesn't it? But it's so cheap and attention-grabbing, and does nothing for the game. ...I'm not a fan of this. Not at all.

I loved Dead Space 2... it was a very fun game for me along with action packed. Yet I do admit the "Your mother disapproves" advertisement for Dead Space 2 was indeed a horrible idea. Not to mention that the DLCs for it are very .. say, "cheap" while being pretty pricy to purchase.

OT: This seems like a cool idea but I don't really think it's the best event for people to look into. You're probably going to waste so much money on gas if not anything else in trying to reach these copies. I know games are excellent and some people can't wait much because the fun needs to happen (I don't blame them, I got like that with Skyrim) yet to venture out and try to get these copies of Mass Effect, having a chance to not claim them at all? .. That sounds sort of like a rip off let alone like you said attention grabbing. But that's just me *shrug*.

Mass Effect's website/twitter don't have any info on how to find the stuff.

Any link's for live trackers, or blogs, or anything related? On the extremely off chance that one will fall somewhere close in Michigan...

Jove:

Andy of Comix Inc:
So... EA's marketing department hasn't learned any lessons from their previous gimmicky failures? No? Nothing from Dante's Inferno or Dead Space 2? ...okay then.

Especially when this game honestly doesn't need it. "Mass Effect 3." ...upon hearing that, you know if you need it or not. Launching discs into space and tracking their decent to Earth... it sounds cool, doesn't it? But it's so cheap and attention-grabbing, and does nothing for the game. ...I'm not a fan of this. Not at all.

Actually I think this is a great idea. Dead Space 2's advertising was horrible, and Dante was just even worse, but unlike those two, this one doesn't actually hurt anybody, at all. I don't see any harm in this and think this is great.

Agreed. I guess it is a grab for attention, but isn't that basically what advertising is? Trying to grab the consumer's attention about their new product? They're not sending you a box that won't stop playing Rick Astley songs until you break it with a hammer, and then having it tell you that you're going to Hell. I think this is a neat idea.
Oh, and I think the point where they went wrong with Dante's Inferno was the point when they decided to turn one of the most famous epic poems ever written into an action game. Neither my hand nor my face are not durable enough to perform the facepalm that such a decision deserves. Maybe I'm just sore because I am currently reading the Divine Comedy and enjoying it.

Corporal Yakob:
(Peering through binoculars) "I see the game, yes yes I see it! Its coming down.....its coming.....its coming!!! Aaaaaaaaand it just landed in that volcano....."

My precccciooooouuuussssss *falls into lava clutching box*

roflmecopter:

Corporal Yakob:
(Peering through binoculars) "I see the game, yes yes I see it! Its coming down.....its coming.....its coming!!! Aaaaaaaaand it just landed in that volcano....."

My precccciooooouuuussssss *falls into lava clutching box*

If people really do vaporise themselves in an attempt to get Mass Effect 3 I must come up with some way to get all their stuff!

Canadish:
-Find a copy.
-Take disk.
-Replace disk with a copy of Dragon Age 2.
-Hide it in the back of a Taxi/Bus.
-Watch the hoard of hairy neckbeards hoof it around the city trying to figure out where it's gone.
-Collect tears when they finally get it and it's not ME3.

(ಥ_ಥ)

That....that was beautiful.....

You will be crowned king of the trolls, long may you reign!

This idea is pretty cool.

I will pay attention to where they are going.....however if one does happen to land in my yard I still will probably wait to nab my Collector's edition (and use the time to make my perfect ME1 and 2 character)......I will keep the weather balloon though (and hell keep the game and frame it or something)

I guarantee you people are going to end up in the hospital or the dead house over this. Great advertising though.

Well i can't possibly see going wrong in anyway.

This is among the most absurd PR stunts I've ever heard about.

EA: We spend tons of money on pointless and stupid advertizing instead of putting it toward making better games!

Every aspect of this is fucking stupid. They aren't actually sending the game into space, as this story pointed out there is a very good chance they will land in the middle of an ocean, and even if you do manage to find a copy it may not even be for the system you want! Sooo...yeah way to keep the dial to fucking retarded EA marketing dept. *facepalms*

I've got $100 on inside the balloons there is nothing but a code to download it off their service.

Thats if thats even that. Its also likely that its not even the game, just the opportunity to buy it before anyone else has the chance to.

Its not like EA to give anything away for free. Though, making them jump through hoops for something that could potentially be crap does seem par for the course.

and then one of them lands in a African tribe and they began worshiping Commander Shepard

So, you are giving pirates an early start. because surely some pirate will get one of those copies, rips it and while internet will have it before buyers will. good job.

God, what is it with everyone launching things into space these days?

TophatEmperor:
and then one of them lands in a African tribe and they began worshiping Commander Shepard

I lol'd.

OT: All I can say is that EA could put free French Cheese (Brie, to be precise... *nom*) in every copy of the game and people would still find a way to swing it round into EA being the worst humans in history.

OhJohnNo:

TophatEmperor:

I lol'd.

OT: All I can say is that EA could put free French Cheese (Brie, to be precise... *nom*) in every copy of the game and people would still find a way to swing it round into EA being the worst humans in history.

French cheese? E(vil)A is doing this just to screw with those who are lactose intolerant. Heartless bastards.

OT: I find this to be nothing more than a fun (if gimmicky) stunt they're pulling. People send up weather balloons into (near) space with delicate cargo attached all the time; it's inexpensive (a weather balloon to fit that category doesn't cost much over $100) and fairly safe (parachutes to keep the game in one piece upon reentry; I can't say the same for the groups of fanboys fighting each other off for the copy).

The fact that it's being talked about means that the ad campaign worked.

I wouldn't want one of those copies. Why? Consider this: Temperatures in the stratosphere (where there is little to no atmospheric protection) fluctuate between -60C to 0C and should the balloon break, the game isn't in freefall, it's re entry. The condition of that game when it lands would be at best unplayable.

yep, absopositivelylutely the most reasonable thing to do with ressources as vast as EAs.

a few days later, still keep bitching about increasing amount of pirated games, and huuuuuge losses, so one has to fire yet another couple of hundred useless PR representatives, cyber security devs, and incompetent "support"-staff xD - to compensate the losses. which are totally unrelated to stunts like this.

derp ^^

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or