FortressCraft Creator: Minecraft Doesn't Focus on Creativity

Pages PREV 1 2

Minecraft has a creative mode, it was originally made with no mobs or crafting, but as a creative just build stuff game, there are people who play versions of minecraft so modded that by this guy's logic they could sell it as a new game.

Baalthazaq:
There you go, I corrected one minor punctuation mistake in your post.
Now am I:

A) Better at expressing your thoughts than you are.
B) Just able to tack on 15 seconds of effort on, which I wouldn't have done without your effort.

C) Better/more interested in English grammar than you are.
D) Trolling
E) Part-time wiseguy

Something along the lines of C, D and E I guess.

Anyone want to start taking bets as to how long it takes for these those indies to hit the courts?

Tiamat666:

Baalthazaq:
There you go, I corrected one minor punctuation mistake in your post.
Now am I:

A) Better at expressing your thoughts than you are.
B) Just able to tack on 15 seconds of effort on, which I wouldn't have done without your effort.

C) Better/more interested in English grammar than you are.
D) Trolling
E) Part-time wiseguy

Something along the lines of C, D and E I guess.

Ooooh sensitive.

B already implied C.
I'm a FULL time wise-guy, don't short change me.
D... yes. I'm trolling a thread by offering the majority opinion.

If someone modifies an existing thing by a small amount, that does not intrinsically make them a better designer than the designer of the original. The guy who invented the cup-holder is not a better inventor than the guy who invented the car just because the car is now mildly better.

Your original statement implies they would be. Modification is different than (though related to) innovation.

scnj:
Sawkins is a fucking prick. He's successful in the UK games industry, after having worked as audio programmer on titles like Burnout Revenge, and now he's famous for this.

He put out an open call for testers on Twitter, so I signed up. As a games development student, I figured getting some practice doing QA would be beneficial, and getting credit on a game would help me get into the industry. Since he's already there, I figured Sawkins would know how hard it is to break in and would be willing to lend a hand for relatively little effort on his part.

There were around 20 of us testing, and we were all in one Skype conversation. Every time we found a bug, we either mentioned it in the Skype chat, or sent an e-mail. I tested for a few hours every evening after uni for around a week, same as everyone else there.

And here's the best part. Four of the testers got credited, and the other 16 or so? "Everyone I forgot." Forgot. Fucking forgot? It's not like we were all handily in a single Skype conversation with the guy, is it? Oh wait. So, I sacrificed time and got nothing in return, despite being promised a testing credit that would have taken literally minutes to put in. If it weren't for the people testing, his shitty Minecraft clone would have never made its release.

Am I bitter? Hell yes. But Sawkins is an ungrateful piece of shit who was unwilling to help others into the industry he's enjoyed success in for so long.

Did you record the Skype session? Because that sounds like disenfranchisement, and you could use that against him.

ThePS1Fan:
There was a time when an FPS was a 'Doom clone' and an open sandbox game was a 'GTA clone', platformer, 'Mario clone' and the list goes on. it's how gaming evolves, slowly by taking other's concepts and just building off of them, Minecraft itself was inspired by Dwarf Fortress and Infiniminer. In time the voxel based building type game could become its own genre.

Given how much id engines were used in the early days, a lot of doom/quake clones were even using the same engines.

Soviet Heavy:
Did you record the Skype session? Because that sounds like disenfranchisement, and you could use that against him.

Sadly, no. I downloaded Skype specifically to get into the testing chat, and had no idea how to use it, or that I'd get screwed over at the end of it. In fact, I only found out when I downloaded the game demo and excitedly loaded up the credits to see my name.

Its time we made some distinctions;

This is a minecraft clone. Not every game that uses similar ideas to minecraft is a clone but this one most certainly is.

Why? Because it aims to copy as much of the game wholesale without getting sued as possible. Look at the way the game is presented. It is made to look like a 'HD' Minecraft. The name is there specifically to sow confusion with Minecraft or at the very least imply some connection. The game has no original concepts of its own outside of trying to be like minecraft's creative mode.

There are quite a few games that have taken the concepts of minecraft and expanded or varied on them in interesting ways. This is what minecraft did with infiniminer. This is what alot of FPS games did back in the 'doom clones' days. Fortress craft does not do this.

The man behind this is a hack who as shamelessly cloned the gameplay, visual style and concepts of part of an existing game with nothing new added to it. He should be bitch-slapped across the face for this.

I mean look at it! Its fucking minecraft! It steals its iconic imagery. Its like someone crating a space marines of a ring shaped space-ark game with someone who looks just like the master chief and going; "Halo? What's halo?"

Pic = Fortresscraft, (yeah i thought it was a miss-label at first too) ;

Frankly, he'd be less of a bullshit merchant if he hadn't called the game "FortressCraft". There is literally only ONE reason he'd call it that. It's the same reason Gameloft call their CoD rip-off "Modern Combat".

The fact he is even bothering to argue against this is sad. It just makes him look petty, and he is annoyed he is going to lose a lot of income once Minecraft is released on Xbox. So instead of being gracious, he's going to throw a hissy fit and tarnish his name in the eyes of gamers so they won't respect him, and not buy whatever he does next.

As much as I think people who believe Infiniminer, Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft or Terraria are in any way clones/ripoffs of eachother need to throw their PC in a fire...
Fortresscraft is pretty obvious about being a ripoff made only for quick easy money.

On a related note, this Sawkins guy sounds like he's throwing a tantrum >.>

Sawkins has the same attitude to design as most of the Minecraft modders. Adding lots of new things doesn't necessarily enhance gameplay, and a lot of the appeal of Minecraft was in creating things in such a way that they fitted into the emergent story that was exposed through playing it.

For people who say Minecraft ripped off Infiminer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdgbsEvD7og

Please take a look at that gameplay. Infiminer was round based ore gathering type of game. Minecraft evolved so much on that concept. The graphic? Yes that's similar. The blocks? Yep. Gathering ore? Yep but that's about it.

Fortresscraft is a complete ripoff which just seems to focus on creating things. Which Minecraft does as well with it's building mode. Or even normal mode. Survival gets rather trivial after the first few nights when you already got your castle up and running.

The guy making FortressCraft is a prick though. Acting like it has nothing to do with Minecraft.

He is just trying to cash in on all the people who disliked the recent updates to Minecraft.

While he probably has done some decent work on his own, this seems like a dickmove to me.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

theultimateend:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
I concede Minecraft is no longer about creativity no that the shitty story is shoehorned into the matter. But it was not so when Fortress craft was made. Just admit you got the idea from minecraft, you launched it with the title for publicity, that you did some underhanded things, and let the fanboys wank to that for a week so they can move on.

True enough, not like it has a mode or anything for being creative.

What would they even call a mode like that?

Still not the main focus of the game. The main focus of the game is killing the enderdragon.

I haven't googled yet so I'm not sure if you are trolling me.

Considering I've never heard of this thing >_>.

theultimateend:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

theultimateend:

True enough, not like it has a mode or anything for being creative.

What would they even call a mode like that?

Still not the main focus of the game. The main focus of the game is killing the enderdragon.

I haven't googled yet so I'm not sure if you are trolling me.

Considering I've never heard of this thing >_>.

Yeah the focus shifted from building creatively while surviving to building to survive and go on the offensive by:
Establishing a homestead.
Mining obsidian to build portal
Getting macguffin supplies in the nether
Finding a portal to the end
killing the ender dragon
????????????????????????????????????????
Profit.

I'm all for realizing that Minecraft has become more of a genre than a single game but this is ridiculous. So he doesn't know what a clone means and he is as egotistically arrogant as Nicholas Sparks is when he says no one else writes romance books like him. I could understand Terraria because of its 2D and rpg game play but come on, this looks EXACTLY like minecraft. Hell the things he talks about that are so called "different" look like things that can be modded into Minecraft itself.

Im not going to attempt to weigh the merits of MC and FC against each other because i am a fan of minecraft for a few years now, and if i started playing now it will most likely end in a bias result.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here