Bethesda: Skyrim DLCs "Closer to Expansion Packs"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bethesda: Skyrim DLCs "Closer to Expansion Packs"

Unlike Fallout 3, Skyrim's DLC will be all about quality over quantity.

Although the rolling hills of Skyrim were born huge, we always knew that they were set to grow further with the release of DLC packs from developer Bethesda. One of the peripheral queries surrounding DLC (aside from, "Does a game this big really need inflated with anything other than new plotlines?") was just how big they'd be and how many of them we could expect to see.

The answer, as it transpires, is this: DLC for Skyrim will be in the form of large and involving packs spread out over a long period of time. Quickfire Operation Anchorage and The Pitt-style releases are out; instead, according to Bethesda, we should expect to see DLC which feels more like a series of expansion packs.

Speaking to Kotaku, Todd Howard, Skyrim's lead designer, laid his firm's plans out clearly. "For Fallout 3 we did five DLCs. That was a very aggressive path for us," he said. "Our plan now is to take more time, to have more meat on [Skyrim DLCs]. They'll feel closer to an expansion pack."

"Because that gap is going to be bigger, we want to put little things out for free in between," Howard continued. "We've already done that for PC with the high-res pack. We're trying to figure out what those things are...We knew before release that we were going to support it in a larger way, with lots of updates every month."

So! Big packs, infrequent releases. Just the way we like it, right? The question now surrounds what kind of content we're going to see in these expansion-esque packs. More plots or more towns? House-building, giant crabs, Vampire Lords and killcams? Horses that don't feel that running up to a dragon's face and bopping its nose is absolutely the right thing to do whenever one appears? Whatever it is, though, the first two packs will still be Xbox exclusives for the first month of their respective releases.

Source: Kotaku

I for one am looking forward to whatever bethesda decides to put out. They havent done wrong by me yet with their dlc's so i don't expect them to with Skyrims.

I'd love to see more brought to the Civil War story. Ulfric has been pocketing that sweet crown for long enough. Also, if the word "Imga" is uttered, I'll make the money rain for just one of those elven wannabes.

I just hope they make them avalible in CD form :S

imnotparanoid:
I just hope they make them avalible in CD form :S

Most probably in the GOTY edition which will be released after the final DLC.

On Topic: Big surprise.

Thalmor War! and/or continuation on the Civil War, which I guess would LEAD to the Thalmor War...

If we take them at their word, it's kind of surprising to me they decided to go this route. And yet, not caring about this at all. Skyrim itself is anything but quality over quantity.

Hammeroj:
If we take them at their word, it's kind of surprising to me they decided to go this route. And yet, not caring about this at all. Skyrim itself is anything but quality over quantity.

Consider the DLC for Oblivion and Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon were very large, and Shivering Isles remains the best dlc available for any game I've played. This isn't out of turn.

They better include some horse armour for old times' sake.

I just hope they do at least two REAL expansion packs this time. I'm sorry, Knights of the Nine was not, and never will be an expansion. It was shit.

Game developers, read this. Comprehend this. Why can't you make DLC this way? Why can't you make people WANT DLC, not NEED it?

Sounds good to me. I'd like to leave Skyrim myself. Perhaps go into other territories since they're already in the game. Maybe deal a crushing blow to the Thalmor, or find a hint as to what happened to the Dwarves. Oh! Or find some snow elves! There are so many things they could do, so many mysteries they could answer. I can't wait for these DLCs.

Did Bethesda just admit that I paid Expansion Pack prices for short mission DLC? Not that I didn't already realize that and become willing to commit murder over it, but still.

Maybe this also means that the Expansion Pack DLC will cost full-game prices now. They could even spin it as a good thing. Why not?

F***ing ****-*** ******ery.

Baneat:

Hammeroj:

Consider the DLC for Oblivion and Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon were very large, and Shivering Isles remains the best dlc available for any game I've played. This isn't out of turn.

Indeed. If Skyrim's DLC is anything like the Shivering Isles then they're onto a winner already.

I thought of horse armour the moment I read the section about Bethesda putting out little free things between updates! I'd DL horse armour if it was free! They could at least make it useful and add pannier bags to the saddle as well.

Whatever the DLC happens to be, I just hope it has a strong storyline and doesn't feel tacked on. Some sort of additional story relating to the Dragons would be good as well, you know, might as well make use of them. Especially if it involves Odahviing or Paarthurnax, yay!

Nooners:
Thalmor War! and/or continuation on the Civil War, which I guess would LEAD to the Thalmor War...

This just seems like the logical conclusion to that. I killed Ulfric about a month ago in-game and the Jarls are still sitting about not electing a new High Queen. After that happens, I want full on Thalmor kicking action!

the video in the article about skyrim mods you linked to doesn't work (something about copyright). I don't know if it is just for Germany...

Heather, I think your grammar is a little off.

One of the peripheral queries surrounding DLC (aside from, "Does a game this big really need inflated with anything other than new plotlines?")

Shouldn't this read;

Does a game this big really need inflating with anything other than new plotlines?

or

Does a game this big really need to be inflated with anything other than new plotlines?

Sniper Team 4:
Sounds good to me. I'd like to leave Skyrim myself. Perhaps go into other territories since they're already in the game. Maybe deal a crushing blow to the Thalmor, or find a hint as to what happened to the Dwarves. Oh! Or find some snow elves! There are so many things they could do, so many mysteries they could answer. I can't wait for these DLCs.

Snow Elves are already in Skyrim, they're called Falmer and they don't like you.

I do know one thing... in these new DLC's there are bound to be new shouts or spells, or armor along with new swords. It does not matter, I saved a lot for these DLCs and I shall buy them all because I am that addicted to Skyrim. So please, take your time Bethesda.. but, when you release them, I will buy them and see for myself if you guys can really impress me more then you've already have with Skyrim.

Oh and please allow us to be High Kings. The Jarls are so lazy it's not even funny.. sitting there being very short sighted about things. It irritates me to no end really, especially since all they do is make you fetch stuff, like actually fetch beer just to move into a town. Really? :I

Expansions? They still exist?

I thought that it was DLC or full-priced games.

Make expansion packs, and call them expansion packs. It still irks me that people refer to The Shivering Isles as DLC.

Baneat:

Hammeroj:

Why do people insist on calling Shivering Isles DLC?

It saw saw disc-based releases. It costed about $30. Which is the standard price for an expansion pack. Shivering Isles wasn't some DLC revelation, it was an x-pack. An x-pack that was on par in terms of content and price with every other xpack that has been released.

Woodsey:
Make expansion packs, and call them expansion packs. It still irks me that people refer to The Shivering Isles as DLC.

Ninja'd by 12 minutes. Curse you!

Frostbite3789:

Baneat:

Hammeroj:

It saw saw disc-based releases. It costed about $30. Which is the standard price for an expansion pack. Shivering Isles wasn't some DLC revelation, it was an x-pack. An x-pack that was on par in terms of content and price with every other xpack that has been released.

It was content, you bought it with M$ points, then downloaded it.

Baneat:

Frostbite3789:

Baneat:

I mean, on the very box for it, it calls itself an xpack. So yeah...I think I win.

Frostbite3789:

Baneat:

Frostbite3789:

I mean, on the very box for it, it calls itself an xpack. So yeah...I think I win.

Why can't DLC be an expansion pack? It's a pretty broad term.

I don't think Skyrim needs any DLC or "expansions" anyways. The game is huge and immersive, and the mods (now put in plain sight on Steam) act to add those little touches like interface changes.

Then again, a couple of expansions every year would work to remind people about Skyrim. I like to go back to old games every once in a while, like a yearly playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I just hope that whatever they come out with, it'll be able to hold my attention. Level 45 is fun and all, but I still have absolutely no desire to finish the main quest, and trudging through caves can only stay interesting for the first fifty or so.

More Skyrim is always a good thing.

Boy, PS3 really gets screwed with Skyrim. Took until now to sort out the shitty framerate issues, and then Xbox gets exclusive DLC/Expansions first! Pc users of course have the modding community and are already playing with DLC ;)

Xbox exclusive. Because god forbid that Microsoft has to win users by, you know, designing a console that people actually want to use more than their PC or PS3. That's only, oh, I don't know, the theoretical foundation of our entire economy.

But instead of actually making something better - with mod support, for a start - companies just edge the consumer into paying the price while they try to pull exclusivity left right and centre. It's just like the arguments against DRM, except there isn't even the piracy excuse here. It's unhealthy and anti-competitive. But why bother to compete when you can just try to screw over the other guy's customers as much as possible? Looking at you too, Origin.

Hmmm... Imad. :D

I actually kind of hope, if they go big on this project, that they actually expand to a few of the other countries in Tamriel. Like the Black Marsh, and revisiting Morrowind. If they can be classified as expansions it wouldn't be too hard to imagine something that grand of a scale. I mean if they are comparing their last batch of DLCs for games like Fallout, then it will hopefully be massive.

Woodsey:

If I download it, and it adds content, is that not DLC? Your splitting hairs, not all DLC is fap pack A and Lazy skin pack B, even though it still quantifies as DLC.

Anyway, I'm just nitpicking.

OP: I hope some of that GameJam shit get's added FOR FREE. Some new effects and functions would be nice and could hold us over until the DLC releases (or GoTY editions).

I want an alternate start DLC that lets me start as a Thalmor spy, and let's me play the game from their point of view. There will probably end up being a mod for that anyway, but unlike most modders, Bethesda can add in voice acting to make the experience a bit more seamless.

Here's to hoping for more dragons. One's that are actually terrifying like three dragons working together to make Dragonborn BBQ.

Holy shit
Back in my day expansion pack meant more than adding some more content to your Sims lives.
If Bethesda follow through with this then it looks like they move up in my esteem charts from monarch to full fledged gods.
But if they fuck us off with something like Knights of the Nine? God help us.
Anything less than Shivering Isle, would be criminal.

Ragsnstitches:

Woodsey:

If I download it, and it adds content, is that not DLC? Your splitting hairs, not all DLC is fap pack A and Lazy skin pack B, even though it still quantifies as DLC.

Anyway, I'm just nitpicking.

DLC already implies something bitesized (or a "fucking rip-off", as I like to call it), so expansion packs should be distinguished.

There's no point strictly adhering to the literal phrase if there's a distinction worth making. Skyrim itself is content that I have downloaded, that doesn't make it DLC.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here