The Walking Dead Crashes Lifeless Romantic Comedy Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Walking Dead Crashes Lifeless Romantic Comedy Movie

The Walking Dead got a marketing shot in the head arm, thanks to a brilliant marketing stunt that involved a zombie invasion of a fake movie trailer.

Here in North America (or at least in Sacramento), the marketing for The Walking Dead seems to be limited to TV commercials and posters. Admittedly, they're usually pretty good, but some marketing folks in South Africa managed to set the bar a whole lot higher. Not only did they craft a fake movie trailer for an audience to watch, but they then had a zombie crash it in the most unexpected of ways.

Here's the scenario: The theater audience is packed and gets treated to what looks like an insipid rom-com trailer about two attractive young people who live next door to one another. Now, these two can't stand one another until (wait for it) they realize there may be something more there and ... Forget it, the trailer's not worth any more of my words, but it definitely seems like a zombie attack would make this whole experience much more tolerable.

Now, suddenly, a zombie stumbles into the theater and startles the bejeebus out of everyone. Maybe he'll snack on one of those people who laughed at the "joke" about ten seconds earlier (which would serve them right). But then ... There's no zombie attack. And then something else unexpected happens (don't worry, I won't spoil it for you), that makes you love life just a little more. Needless to say, this is arguably one of the best things you'll watch today.

Attention marketing firms: The gauntlet has been thrown. I eagerly await similar campaigns on this side of the Pond.

Source: Topless Robot

The phrase "Eat your heart out" just took on a whole new meaning.

I'm beginning to get tired of 'the prank' advertising campaigns. I guess they all just hit the same notes? Like when there are 10 flash mob adverts it begins to just make flash mobs seem like less fun.

Also I refuse to admit that was real laughter, it didn't sound it and to be honest, I defy anyone to not know that trailer was a fake. At best they showed something funnier and then cut the laughter reaction in.

And the zombie didn't do anything cool. No bursting out, just walking around look a little embarrassed. At least a lot of the people's 'oh gee' reactions made me think that maybe these were real people.

The ending however, was cool

Ugh. Please do not encourage marketing people to market at me in any environment where a big grid labeled ADVERTISEMENT cannot be placed around their heads. They have not withdrawal.

huh, much much better than what i'm used to...not bad. not bad at all.

Those people would be the first ones to die in the zombie apocalypse.

That was so cool. I wish I had been there...

try that in US and have the actor end up with a real bullet hole :D

Hehe...Speaking of, why aren't theaters ever shown as having an undead problem? They seem like the perfect place to affect a lot of people. But well done. I almost feel sorry for the unsuspecting zombie.

(don't worry, I won't spoil it for you)

Then why bother to tell us about it at all?

You know this forum can use [spoiler] tags, right?

Heh, that's pretty cool. Funny trailer too.

That shit would never happen in Texas. The first person who saw him shamble in would shoot him in the head themselves.
But eh, kinda lame. Woulda been better if he had of mauled someone.

THAT
WAS
AWESOME

Olrod:

(don't worry, I won't spoil it for you)

Then why bother to tell us about it at all?

You know this forum can use [spoiler] tags, right?

uhh... just watch the video? It's right there next to the text...

That pretty clever marketing ad and I suppose it's good that the result is kind of tame.
Sure say all you want how we are not fully prepare for a zombie apocalypse but I rather not see the headline "Zombie prank goes horribly wrong. Film audience beat a man in zombie make up to death."

Not terribly original inmo and kinda risky as well. Even if nobody carried a gun with them into the theater, what if somebody just kicked the crap out of the supposed zombie ?
All that for a weak and corny punchline ? No thank you.

I was expecting a zombie flashmob too.

Btw, zombies are stinking up the entertainment industry by now (no pun intended). Get something new already.

That's actually a throwback to the sorts of things they used to pull a lot more frequently decades ago in the US (50s and 60s), especially for campy horror or sci-fi movies. Considering the entire zombie apocalypse plot is about as old and tired, I guess they might as well advertise in a similar fashion.

Could never do that in US. Someone gets shocked so bad they have a heart attack and die suing for millions. Tv show is taken off air permanently. Theater used gets closed down as they get sued as well. Though also actor could get killed or maimed by people who get startled and fight.

BrotherRool:
I'm beginning to get tired of 'the prank' advertising campaigns. I guess they all just hit the same notes? Like when there are 10 flash mob adverts it begins to just make flash mobs seem like less fun.

I wouldn't worry too much about being the target of this sort of thing. My money's on the audience itself being part of the "prank." Setting aside the liability issues that the marketers and the theater would face, there are some technical oddities with the video itself.

During the wide-angle shots where you see the trailer playing above the audience, notice that the audience doesn't move at all. It's a static image. Even when the crowd is supposedly clapping and cheering, whenever they use that shot of the movie screen, they merely layer it over the photo of the crowd. Also note that while the crowd is displayed in the green/white of a night vision camera, the trailer is in full colour.

Ugg... the internet has made me too cynical for my own good :(

Everyone saying that he would get shot or attacked, you are wrong. They did this same kind of advertisement around the Atlanta area in Georgia for Season 1 and I personally know several people that they painted up and set loose in malls and other such public places. Nothing negative ever happened to them.

God, people, Americans can't all be stupid gun-toting rednecks. I doubt the zombie actor stood a chance of getting hurt.

OhJohnNo:
Americans can't all be stupid gun-toting rednecks.

That may be the nicest thing a member of the Escapist has ever said about my country...

Anyway, you're right. They wouldn't be attacked. Once, a group of about 20 "zombies" stampeded through my university's dining hall. Amazingly, no one was hurt.

OT: To be honest, that was pretty obnoxious and silly. I would have had zombies invade the actual trailer as well. The way they did it, it...really didn't make a whole lot of sense. There's a cheesy fake trailer playing...then a zombie walks into the theater....Then the woman in the trailer kills the theater zombie. WATCH "WALKING DEAD" BECAUSE ZOMBIES. THE END.

Huh? I don't get it.

chiatt:

BrotherRool:

I wouldn't worry too much about being the target of this sort of thing. My money's on the audience itself being part of the "prank." Setting aside the liability issues that the marketers and the theater would face, there are some technical oddities with the video itself.

During the wide-angle shots where you see the trailer playing above the audience, notice that the audience doesn't move at all. It's a static image. Even when the crowd is supposedly clapping and cheering, whenever they use that shot of the movie screen, they merely layer it over the photo of the crowd. Also note that while the crowd is displayed in the green/white of a night vision camera, the trailer is in full colour.

Ugg... the internet has made me too cynical for my own good :(

The trailer is without a doubt super imposed later, but it is possible that that's because you don't get a very good image filming a screen and they wanted to show us it as would have appeared.

But as I said, that laughter was as fake as and I think people would easily recognise that as a fake trailer so I agree that it seems like a set up. The only thing that suggested to me otherwise is that those people really weren't creeped out or impressed and a couple even seemed to be saying 'look how naff and dull this is'. I didn't notice the static image at all though.

It's less I'm worried about being pranked but so many adverts do this nowadays and especially as you pointed out, since it's often faked, it feels like it's sucking the fun out of something real people used to do

Loved it! Wish I was there...

....fuck I want a zombie apocalypse

That "trailer" for the romance movie sums up about every romance movie I've ever seen.

Also, it goes to show that if there WAS a zombie attack, most people would be killed off pretty quickly for thinking it was just makeup effects, that they were really just actors not brain-starved undead :L

I thought that was awesome. Hats off to one of the best shows on TV right now. :)

Necroid_Neko:
Also, it goes to show that if there WAS a zombie attack, most people would be killed off pretty quickly for thinking it was just makeup effects, that they were really just actors not brain-starved undead :L

Agreed, had I been there I'd have shouted "Aw fuck" and run the hell out of there. You don't realize how far and fast you can actually run till you think there's a brain muncher on the loose.

Xan Krieger:

Necroid_Neko:

Agreed, had I been there I'd have shouted "Aw fuck" and run the hell out of there. You don't realize how far and fast you can actually run till you think there's a brain muncher on the loose.

Same, I'd be running back to get my stuff ready for a zombie invasion, celebrating that my life of mundanity will at last be over! (and feeling a liiittle guilty for the billions that will fall victim, probably including myself :L)

Lets just hope that the second half of Season2 picks up a bit.
It's truly impressive how the WD writers managed to make the entire cast completely unlikeable.

They have a gem of a series and they seem intent on running it into the ground.

ThatLankyBastard:
Loved it! Wish I was there...

....fuck I want a zombie apocalypse

No.... No, you dont.

Necroid_Neko:

Xan Krieger:

Necroid_Neko:

Same, I'd be running back to get my stuff ready for a zombie invasion, celebrating that my life of mundanity will at last be over! (and feeling a liiittle guilty for the billions that will fall victim, probably including myself :L)

Holy god your avatar is far too cute! :P

But yes, I would have likely been bolting for the exit as soon as I saw that crawler as well.

this is the best thing i saw whole week. oh wait, its monday.
also yeah this makes me want a real zombie apocalypse.

that was freaking awsome!!!
i wish that would happen next time i go to the movies :P
also these people seemed preaty calm about the zombie walking into the theater... just sayin if that was the reall thing we would have had a freakin blood bath!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here