Alan Wake Rockets Into the Black

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alan Wake Rockets Into the Black

The PC version of Alan Wake recovered its complete development and marketing budget in just 48 hours.

Things are looking good for the PC version of Alan Wake, which finally turned up on Steam a few days ago. Despite the game being around on the Xbox 360 for the past couple of years, PC gamers leaped at the chance to play it on their platform of choice, dragging the game to the top of the Steam charts and, more importantly, into profitability in just two days.

"We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing," Remedy Executive Vice President Aki Järvilehto wrote on the Alan Wake forums. "We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours. And yes, we're certainly very excited about PC."

The cost of bringing the game to the PC was naturally less than that of the original development for the Xbox 360 but still far from inconsequential. It took a team of eight nearly five months to complete the job, which included improvements to the visuals, interface, and getting everything to "feel right in the PC environment," and the work is ongoing.

"We are closely monitoring, following, and are in dialogue in our forums as well as the Steam forums to see any problems people might be having," said Oskari Häkkinen, Remedy's head of franchise development. "Whilst the reception has been wonderful and there are no known major issues, we are already responding to some wanted requests and working on our first title update."

It's exciting to see things going well for the PC version of the game, but Häkkinen cautioned that it doesn't necessarily signal a sea of change at Remedy. "With this project we got the blessing from Microsoft to go ahead and create the PC experience and we of course jumped at that opportunity - it felt like it was kind of our promise to the PC gamers," he said. "Really, it was more of a decision from the heart than a commercial one but of course it's nice to see it doing well."

Alan Wake is available now on Steam, while a retail collector's edition is scheduled to come out on March 2.

Bought the collectors edition for the 360, loved every second of it. I want more children of the elder god!!!

Nice...temped too buy it, but not sure if I can run it. And system requirements haven't updated Alan Wake on their site yet. >.<

Hmm, what was that about the dead, non-profitable PC market where everyone just pirates?

I'm happy those guys have success. If they can keep up the community support by patching major issues or requests... Maybe I'll pick it up during one sale (Not really my favorite genre).

Hopefully other companies hear about this success and port over their console-exclusive titles as well. Maybe we'll even see "Brutal Legend" ported? Oh wait, that's Activision; we'll never see it again.

Doesn't really surprise me, always seemed like a game that was made for PC gamers anyway.

therandombear:
Nice...temped too buy it, but not sure if I can run it. And system requirements haven't updated Alan Wake on their site yet. >.<

Check out the steam store page, the system requirements are there:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710

TheKasp:

therandombear:

Check out the steam store page, the system requirements are there:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710

Ya...but I never really understood all the numbers and shit. It's why I like system requirements, since they scan the computer too check if you can indeed run it. And tell you how good you can run it. :p

I feel like I did my part. I now got both the PC and the 360 version. Only thing I miss in the PC version is the ability to adjust the flashlight to just aim rather than boost and waste battery. I guess both versions have their merits in this case. I don't regret buying either version and I am glad to see that it turned profitable. Hopefully this will mean we get the new Alan Wake games for PC and hopefully an actual sequel.

So a game that has been out for a while and has had time to get exposed and got a good following released on a new system... and it did well? What a shock!

Still, nice to see Alan Wake doing well. And hopefully American Nightmare has the same success.

Hopefully this means if they make a sequel to Alan Wake it will be available for PC on launch day instead of waiting a few years to port it.

Good. Hopefully this means we'll be getting at least more Alan Wake after American Nightmare, and preferably a full-blown sequel game. The interest is there. Just please don't cut out us 360 users Remedy. I still want to play the game.

well this can't be true because as we all know, EVERY GAME on the PC is pirated and nobody actually buys anything. This is the reason nobody should EVER make games for the PC.

What the article SHOULD read is this:

"The PC version of Alan Wake was pirated so much in 48 hours that the development company has exploded and caused Greece to become bankrupt."

I'm glad it's doing well. But it shouldn't have taken years. Especially not from @#$%ing Microsoft. #$%&ing "Oh we're all about supporting Windows as a gaming platform, ha ha, just jerking your chain" Microsoft.

I can get waiting a few weeks or months to release the PC version; I acknowledge piracy is a real problem and the PC is often the easiest version to pirate. But two years? It's hard to feel a huge surplus of goodwill that the thing finally came out at all.

So glad it's hitting a success. I was a HUGE fan of it on the Xbox...bought all the DLC that came with it.

Hopefully this means a sequel (a FULLY FLEDGED sequel) that continues the story and...etc. I fucking love Remedy.

I wish more companies released details like this. You don't have to give 'privileged' numbers.

It would be interesting to see if others also saw their investment returned as quickly, but just did not make as much profit as they wanted, due to non-realistic expectations. There blamed the issue on piracy instead of admitting that they were expecting too much to their investors. I don't think I have heard of many if any AAA PC games that did not break even, it is the profit vs 'profit expectation', I think, that is causing the issue. Also profit expectations inflated by console title profits, does not help....

Looking forward to picking this game up.

Every day a new PC victory. Friends, this is our finest hour. Let us see it and take heart: The PC swells with power and enthusiasm, with commercial success and indie accomplishments; it is once more taking its rightful place alongside the other major systems in the eyes of gamers and game makers alike. And once publishers get the message, all will be well with the world.

DaxStrife:
Hopefully other companies hear about this success and port over their console-exclusive titles as well. Maybe we'll even see "Brutal Legend" ported? Oh wait, that's Activision; we'll never see it again.

Just thought I'd jump in here and say that Brutal Legend was actually published by EA. Even though Activision initially owned the rights, they basically blew double fine off and said they weren't going to launch their game, so double fine went to EA instead. Which means that even if EA did make a PC port of it, it'd probably be Origin exclusive and therefore suck.

I feel that their chosen price point really contributed to this success.
Instead of just blindly charging the same 40-50 bucks everyone does, they actually realized that digital distribution allows for much more aggresive pricing AND they included the Collector´s Edition from the start.
I know it´s "just" a port of an older game, but I still feel 30 bucks is a much more reasonable price for a download than 50.

therandombear:

What are your system specs?

therandombear:
And tell you how good you can run it. :p

Eh, theoretically.

There have been a lot of exciting Steam chart runs as of late. I'm attributing that to the relatively slow release period, but if it causes any developers to take risks, it can only benefit us users (and them).

Considering I rented this on release day, then the next morning went out and bought the collectors edition, I can only say: YAY!

PLEASE finish this one, don't let it get taken away (I'm looking at you, Max). I adore Sam Lake's writing to a stupid fanboi level, so I really want to see a proper sequel.

Good to see they're in the black now. I'm going to buy American Nightmare and hope they get the money to show us fans of the game just what kind of story "Return" would turn out to be.

Playing it on the PC right now. Top-tier game, it's absolutely excellent.

We need the DLC add-on and Alan Wake's American Nightmare as well.

So there is still a chance RDR might come to PC? Oh, Rockstar are still dicks, no chance then.
*Heads to Steam to buy Alan Wake just to spite Rockstar*

gentlemen.

i now off to my quest, to find the dev who said pc gaming is dead/not profitable and beat him to death with a copy of alan wake.

i wish you a good day!

sure a nice game. but it does have some control issues. also cant agree with the camera being so far left of alan. why not in the middle, like every other game.
plus the the combat is difficult at times. i hardly have any ammo left, it takes ages to burn off this shadow and they still can handle 4-6 bullets until they die once you burn off this shadow.

Piracy issue on the PC? What are you talking about?

Metalrocks:
sure a nice game. but it does have some control issues. also cant agree with the camera being so far left of alan. why not in the middle, like every other game.
plus the the combat is difficult at times. i hardly have any ammo left, it takes ages to burn off this shadow and they still can handle 4-6 bullets until they die once you burn off this shadow.

I don't know.. until half way through the game I was at full amo for all my weapons but the pistol... and that was because I only used the pistol... and I never used any batteries. Although I am known for playing games very cautiously, and hoarding everything! I still don't know what the flares look like in the game!

Was a superb game though, I look forward to finishing it!

Elementary - Dear Watson:

I don't know.. until half way through the game I was at full amo for all my weapons but the pistol... and that was because I only used the pistol... and I never used any batteries. Although I am known for playing games very cautiously, and hoarding everything! I still don't know what the flares look like in the game!

how you do this, that you dont have use batteries? and seriously, no flares? dint you use them when you got attacked from like 4-5 enemies wile you went to lovers peak?
im now at the part were i try to escape the police. the flashbangs are working very well. but still, my ammo is low, and i got only the revolver at this stage.

Metalrocks:

how you do this, that you dont have use batteries? and seriously, no flares? dint you use them when you got attacked from like 4-5 enemies wile you went to lovers peak?
im now at the part were i try to escape the police. the flashbangs are working very well. but still, my ammo is low, and i got only the revolver at this stage.

If you don't use up all the charge of one set of batteries, they will recharge as you run around... I will always stop it before it reaches the bottom in order to not use the batteries incase I need to use them later... ironically I have died a few times from being overwhelmed because I am to worried about what is going to happen next rather than what is happening now! And it does mean most of my fight scenes involve me running backwards around the scene, dodging attacks!
I have also used the 'lure bad guys to a street lamp so I can heal and they dissapear' tactic too, then try again! As you can imagine I am not getting through the game very fast... Especially as I am also an obsessed completionist, and in doing so managed to wreck my car in the first driving section causing me to have to do the whole thing on foot... man that took a long time, and there are always 2 axe throwers chasing you...! :/

DaxStrife:

... is that a bad thing?

really?

OT: Good for Remedy, now can we please have Alan Wake 2?

If you don't use up all the charge of one set of batteries, they will recharge as you run around... I will always stop it before it reaches the bottom in order to not use the batteries incase I need to use them later... ironically I have died a few times from being overwhelmed because I am to worried about what is going to happen next rather than what is happening now! And it does mean most of my fight scenes involve me running backwards around the scene, dodging attacks!
I have also used the 'lure bad guys to a street lamp so I can heal and they dissapear' tactic too, then try again! As you can imagine I am not getting through the game very fast... Especially as I am also an obsessed completionist, and in doing so managed to wreck my car in the first driving section causing me to have to do the whole thing on foot... man that took a long time, and there are always 2 axe throwers chasing you...! :/

lol, i see. well, i never had any problems with the batteries. i had more then enough of this though and i know it recharges it self when you dont aim. also, you find so many throughout the game. and dont worry about the flares either. you always will have enough. i never ran out of them. you will find plenty and they are sure handy against a huge group or bigger enemies.

but let me give you a hint: later on you will encounter a bulldozer. so you must use your batteries. you will see for your self. i died at least 10 times. its amazing how fast this thing can drive and turn.

Li Mu:
well this can't be true because as we all know, EVERY GAME on the PC is pirated and nobody actually buys anything. This is the reason nobody should EVER make games for the PC.

What the article SHOULD read is this:

"The PC version of Alan Wake was pirated so much in 48 hours that the development company has exploded and caused Greece to become bankrupt."

There companies that complain about Piracy fall into 2 types, those that release a game on the PC that sucks and it should be incredibly obvious that it does, so when it bombs they blame it on Piracy, or the companies that release a PC game and it does very well, but they notice that people HAVE pirated it and thus whine about the non-existant money that they're hugely successful game lost over it. Either way, piracy is a completely harmless thing that in fact benefits them more often than not.

Obviously, this is just more proof that piracy on the PC makes it financially unfeasible to put out a PC version of a console game and still make money with it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here