Alan Wake Rockets Into the Black

Pages PREV 1 2

Hell yeah!

Sell most things at half price and see the sales shoot up!

Duh...

Good for you PC gamers.

A friend of mine lent the 360 version of the game. As a fan of Kingesque horror, I loved every minute of it. I'm glad to see it did well.

Better late than never! I was happy to get a chance to buy and play this on my only platform.

I wonder if it was pirated ten times as much as it was bought, pirated by supersilious people with their crap excuses. I hope not.

Sober Thal:
Hell yeah!

Duh...

Good for you PC gamers.

It's at 6/7ths the price, which certainly isn't very much. Or are you talking about how it's being sold for half the price of your average AAA game? Which is definitely a measure of goodwill: a lot of people think that game prices are too high in this day and age.

But I reckon you think games could stand to be a little more expensive, am I right? Must be fun for you to be a gamer somewhere other than Australia.

OT: That's very good. Although I'm still on the fence about it...

leet_x1337:

Sober Thal:
Hell yeah!

Duh...

Good for you PC gamers.

It's at 6/7ths the price, which certainly isn't very much. Or are you talking about how it's being sold for half the price of your average AAA game? Which is definitely a measure of goodwill: a lot of people think that game prices are too high in this day and age.

But I reckon you think games could stand to be a little more expensive, am I right? Must be fun for you to be a gamer somewhere other than Australia.

It's at half price. It was a $60 game, now it's being sold for $29.99.

6/7 doesn't come into it when you talk about the game price when it was released, which is what I was doing.

Also:

Australians make double the money for the same minimal work, don't jump on their cry wagon.

EDIT: Oh, looky looky.... what's the second most pirated game on PC now?

Fucking balls.

It's not an Ubisoft 'DRM is hurting paying customers' game now is it....

Oh yeah, release some sales numbers from STEAM sales.... or it didn't happen ; P

Metalrocks:
sure a nice game. but it does have some control issues. also cant agree with the camera being so far left of alan. why not in the middle, like every other game.
plus the the combat is difficult at times. i hardly have any ammo left, it takes ages to burn off this shadow and they still can handle 4-6 bullets until they die once you burn off this shadow.

I played through on Nightmare mode, and I have one piece of advice; Just run past them. There are only a few instances in the game where you actually HAVE to kill all the enemies. Most of the time you can just stun them quickly with a blast of light and nip right by them.

Yopaz:
I feel like I did my part. I now got both the PC and the 360 version. Only thing I miss in the PC version is the ability to adjust the flashlight to just aim rather than boost and waste battery. I guess both versions have their merits in this case. I don't regret buying either version and I am glad to see that it turned profitable. Hopefully this will mean we get the new Alan Wake games for PC and hopefully an actual sequel.

I was just about to ask how you would do the aiming without boosting with a mouse, but I suppose most of the time when you are aiming you properly could use the boost anyway.

This is good news! Hopefully it means we will see an Alan Wake sequel within... what six years or so?

Once again proves that GOOD GAMES on PC SELLS A LOT, whole BAD CONSOLE PORT does NOT.

TheKasp:
Hmm, what was that about the dead, non-profitable PC market where everyone just pirates?

All that is just FUD spreading, don't be too bothered by it. In honesty, PC gaming is actually kicking ass right now (Battlefield 3, MW3, Civ 5, Alan Wake, Skyrim, Total War, SWTOR, Diablo 3, KOA:TR, Dear Esther, The Darkness 2). And to be honest, for every pirated copy of a PC game that loses a publisher money, there will be 3 used copies of a console game bought at a game store that loses them even more. So it's swings and roundabouts.

shadowform:
Obviously, this is just more proof that piracy on the PC makes it financially unfeasible to put out a PC version of a console game and still make money with it.

Erm, are you being sarcastic or serious? Because what you said, if serious, has just went against the tone of the whole story. Alan Wake on PC only took 48 hours to make a profit, thus making it a very feasible project for everyone involved.

Wow, Finnish names are really growing in both the game- and movie industry.
Feels nice that people from Finland start to have some more attention, not just Nokia anymore (yes Nokia is Finnish not Japanese).

Griffolion:

TheKasp:
Hmm, what was that about the dead, non-profitable PC market where everyone just pirates?

All that is just FUD spreading, don't be too bothered by it. In honesty, PC gaming is actually kicking ass right now (Battlefield 3, MW3, Civ 5, Alan Wake, Skyrim, Total War, SWTOR, Diablo 3, KOA:TR, Dear Esther, The Darkness 2). And to be honest, for every pirated copy of a PC game that loses a publisher money, there will be 3 used copies of a console game bought at a game store that loses them even more. So it's swings and roundabouts.

As a PC only gamer: I already knew that ;) It was just a snarky comment at all the news we got over the last year how bad piracy issues on the PC are and that it is not profitable to make games on the PC.

Ironically though, Indiegames which were released on both platforms made more sales on the PC (Super Meat Boy, Bastion), PC exclusive indie games rocked the salecharts (Minecraft, Terraria [over 1 million sales], Binding of Isaac [over 450k]).

With this and the success of many other titles I at least hope that more and more developers realise that putting some effort into their port and releasing their games also on PC is quite profitable.

Already got it on the Xbox back then, didnt want to have to wait many years for a pc version.

Well, I fucking told you so. Offer a good port for a decent price (albeit 2 years too late), and watch those $$$ pour in. Devs bitch and moan about ports not being profitable, but this is the proof that a good game (or in this case, one with decent following) will pay for itself. 48! Fucking! Hours!

omicron1:
Every day a new PC victory. Friends, this is our finest hour. Let us see it and take heart: The PC swells with power and enthusiasm, with commercial success and indie accomplishments; it is once more taking its rightful place alongside the other major systems in the eyes of gamers and game makers alike. And once publishers get the message, all will be well with the world.

Ever thought of writing a speech? That is quite good.

Sober Thal:

leet_x1337:

Sober Thal:
Hell yeah!

Duh...

Good for you PC gamers.

It's at half price. It was a $60 game, now it's being sold for $29.99.

6/7 doesn't come into it when you talk about the game price when it was released, which is what I was doing.

Also:

Australians make double the money for the same minimal work, don't jump on their cry wagon.

EDIT: Oh, looky looky.... what's the second most pirated game on PC now?

Fucking balls.

It's not an Ubisoft 'DRM is hurting paying customers' game now is it....

Oh yeah, release some sales numbers from STEAM sales.... or it didn't happen ; P

You say looky looky and point to pirate numbers like that actually means something. People like you seem to think that when a game is pirated, it somehow negates that it was profitable despite that.

Also, do you work for Ubisoft? Cause it seems some pretty common themes in your posts are Pro-DRM and anti-consumer rights rhetoric that they so frequently espouse. I almost feel I should console you for the SOPA bill which, I'm nearly certain, you held so dearly didn't pass.

PC gaming is not dead. Now for the rest of the games industry to catch up.

pirateninj4:
PC gaming is not dead. Now for the rest of the games industry to catch up.

No its not dead it is too small that is the issue.
Certain niche genre's cant get a true AAA release here anymore because there are not enough fans of said niche genre to risk a release in said niche genre.
That is what is giving pc gaming a beating not a killing blow but a fierce punch to the face.
And unless pc gaming grows faster than the price of making games for the first time in years it will only get worse.

I'm really happy for them. I bought the collectors edition for Xbox back when it came out and I just bought it from Steam. Remedy is so awesome. Makes me prod to be a Finnish person.

And to think, a couple of months ago, I remembered reading about how some suits claimed that "PC games aren't profitable anymore, becuz piracy n stuff".

Look who just got contradicted. And without the Full-Nelson crippleware DRM no less!

Well, surely this article show how the PC gaming is dying.

I've been playing it. It's a gorgeous game on the PC - much better looking than the screen shots I saw of the 360 version.

therandombear:

TheKasp:

therandombear:
Nice...temped too buy it, but not sure if I can run it. And system requirements haven't updated Alan Wake on their site yet. >.<

Check out the steam store page, the system requirements are there:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710

Ya...but I never really understood all the numbers and shit. It's why I like system requirements, since they scan the computer too check if you can indeed run it. And tell you how good you can run it. :p

And from what I have seen they are often wrong.

Say the game was released in 2005.

All your specs dominate the game but since you have W7 64 bit the whole screen goes RED AND SAYS, YOU CANNOT HOPE TO PLAY THIS GAME MORTAL!

I prefer to just read specs and reviews to gauge performance.

double post

Matthew94:

therandombear:

TheKasp:

Check out the steam store page, the system requirements are there:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710

Ya...but I never really understood all the numbers and shit. It's why I like system requirements, since they scan the computer too check if you can indeed run it. And tell you how good you can run it. :p

And from what I have seen they are often wrong.

Say the game was released in 2005.

All your specs dominate the game but since you have W7 64 bit the whole screen goes RED AND SAYS, YOU CANNOT HOPE TO PLAY THIS GAME MORTAL!

I prefer to just read specs and reviews to gauge performance.

True...I've compared specs they pulled from my PC and the specs they've shown. Even shows mine's better, yet they say I wouldn't be able too run it. It's more of a double check so I know what too compare. xD

TheKasp:

I'm happy those guys have success. If they can keep up the community support by patching major issues or requests... Maybe I'll pick it up during one sale (Not really my favorite genre).

expect an ubisoft strike team to kick down your door any minute for making that comment.

I like to see the fellow countrymen of Remedy do well.

It's just awkward when the PC version comes a couple years after the Xbox version, when the game was supposed to be a PC exclusive originally. Until Microsoft put a leash on them. Things that Häkkinen touches a bit with his comment too.

You seeing this From Software & Namco Bandai?

Dark Souls PC, get on it.

And on-topic:

Totally picking up Alan Wake now, the developers seem like good guys and the game looks pretty cool, of course, my main reason is that it might convince other developers to start sticking their games on PC again. That'd be nice..

"Really, it was more of a decision from the heart than a commercial one but of course it's nice to see it doing well."

ah hey that's really good to hear

Putting piracy aside for a moment, what many companies seem to not realise, is there's a tiny market for used PC games, what with cd keys, accounts, and digital.

Give it six months, when the sales of Alan Wake have dwindled to near nothing, and they can slap it in the summer sale for 50%/66% off with DLC, and watch another million sales fall into place.

Any console game gets a spike of interest and people are rifling thru preowned shelves in Gamestop/searching Ebay/Amazon resellers.

In short, if Painkiller had been a console game, Yahtzee's review wouldn't have netted the makers a damn cent.

Even a couple of years after release, if you price it at five bucks, you'll see a huge number of sales, and 200 thousand new customers is another million in the bank AND a huge surge of interest in a sequel, it's marketing as well as sales.

I'm really glad to see the PC community stepping up and supporting a really good dev team. Kudos all around.

No kidding the PC port paid for itself so quickly. 8 people * 5 months is trivial for a triple-A game. Compare to a typical AAA game development which is more like 2 years with 10 times as many people.

You don't need to sell many games to cover that. Risk free project really.

What's surprising is that there aren't more 360 to PC ports. This was a very good, high quality port. An average port should take even less effort.

Hey, I have to ask this. Is Alan Wake worth my $30? I mean, it might seem like I'm being s bit cheap, but I usually don't buy games till they're on sale. However, if I purchase before March 1st, I get the game, plus some DLC, plus a graphic novel (not sure how much I'll like that but what the hell, it's free), plus the soundtrack. NOw, I love a good story in my games, so I'm willing to overlook some shortcomings in gameplay if the story is totally awesome. So, is Alan wake worth it to a guy like me? Just thought I'd ask.

TheMann:
Hey, I have to ask this. Is Alan Wake worth my $30? I mean, it might seem like I'm being s bit cheap, but I usually don't buy games till they're on sale. However, if I purchase before March 1st, I get the game, plus some DLC, plus a graphic novel (not sure how much I'll like that but what the hell, it's free), plus the soundtrack. NOw, I love a good story in my games, so I'm willing to overlook some shortcomings in gameplay if the story is totally awesome. So, is Alan wake worth it to a guy like me? Just thought I'd ask.

According to the Steam forums, it's the best game many have played. One of my roommates feels it is quite good too. Personally, I'm waiting for the retail release, because like you, I'm a cheap bastard now. $30 is too much for a digital game, but I'll drop that if I get a box and disk to go with it. The forums said it's coming March 2nd.

I just hope that those comments aren't overblown. I just finished a positively orgasmic experience beating Okami, and it's been really hard to find a game I want to even tinker around in since.

Alan Wake is one of the most underrated games in all of the Xbox arsenal. I'm happy to hear that Steam brought Alan back to the forefront.

Here's hoping that MS may take a second, serious look at this property and maybe bring us a bonafied sequel. One of my all time faves on my console.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here