Skyrim Map Gets DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Skyrim Map Gets DLC

Yes, you read that right.

Skyrim is a pretty big place, and to successfully explore its icy reaches you're going to need a map. Admittedly, yes, the game does in fact come with a map, one you can access at the touch of a button, but what if it isn't detailed enough? Well, then you go and type "Skyrim map" into Google.

Or you could buy the official Skyrim Map app for iOS. Made by strategy guide publisher, Prima games, the app charts the entire province of Skyrim, with each of the nine largest cities marked for free. Assuming you want directions to something a little more esoteric than "that giant, horizon-filling metropolis that's already marked on your in-game map" you'll have to spend a little money. It costs $0.99 cents to unlock sets of locations, such as the dragon mounds you can see in the screenshot there.

The map comes with over 160 interior maps, a search function and the ability to zoom in as far as 3200%, so you can pretend to be a tiny meteor hurtling towards Belethor's shop. The app is only available in the US. I know, I'm disappointed too.

Source: Bethblog

I...I don't...not quite sure...the use...google...wha?
I seriously can't see this app being brought for any reason except people who blindly buy anything relating to Skyrim regardless of utility.

At first I thought this was for Skyrim ingame. Bethesda is going into the micro-transaction business? Smart move, business wise, jerk move, PR wise.

OT: If idiots buy the Skyrim guide/walkthrough book, they'll probably buy this. I'll stick to the wikia, thanks.

Also, change the title, its a little misleading...( Maybe Skyrim map app gets DLC? )

Now why would I bother with this when soon enough, uesp.net will have a Google-powered map for Skyrim just like other ones. And in the meantime, I can type in location names, or use other maps.

I can't help but see any potential buyer for this as an idiot. The very fact that something like this exists makes me sad.

Absolute waste of money. People have, and will make and host maps for their favourite games for free.

SL33TBL1ND:
Absolute waste of money. People have, and will make and host maps for their favourite games for free.

'Make'?

Surely you jest. I think you meant 'pirate' the game map.

On a serious note, if you have Google Chrome you can go to the app store and there you can already find a free Skyrim map. It has some mistakes but with a game that has hundreds of locations that's to be expected.

The things people will buy...

Seraj:
Also, change the title, its a little misleading...( Maybe Skyrim map app gets DLC? )

Or possibly "Skyrim map gets an app".

I just have tes wiki bookmarked on my phone, does pretty much the same thing.

Wait wait wait...the internet? Have the people buying this app heard of that little thing we use daily? IT defies logic to purchase this app. You can get all the information you need online, and completely free. Why would anybody bother spending money on this?

Or you could just download a picture showing you all the locations on your PC for free.
YAAAAY LOGIC.

Azuaron:
The things people will buy...

Seraj:

Or possibly "Skyrim map gets an app".

Indeed, I went into this expecting something completely different.

Either way, for shame devs!

OR... you can just download one of the 12 mods that already do the same thing IN GAME.

Great NOW I just have to buy an iOS!
Or alternatively

hazabaza1:
Or you could just download a picture showing you all the locations on your PC for free.
YAAAAY LOGIC.

Also Carter, all I see is the word Dragon Mounds. I'm sure the actual physical object is there to, but it's kinda hard to differentiate from the landscape when you're viewing it from orbit!

I know how you can get the locations for free...

It's a simple Hack that shows you everything Skyrim has...

You open your web-browser... then go to this link:

Copy-paste that to the adress bar. It's a neat trick if you ask me. xD

Uh huh. Well then... that's... pricey. You know, for stuff that's available free.

Why would you buy this? Most quest locations show up on the map, you just have to go to them, and for specific loot, just use the internet to find them. This is almost as bad as horse armor

It seems a bit... unnecessary.

UESP has this for Morrowind and Oblvion. I imagine we might be getting it for Skyrim in the future.

Between the wiki and the more detailed in-game map mod, why the hell would anyone pay money for this?

There's a google chrome application/extension for this, it has all the provinces as well....and it's free.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lgcniglmalipmaanggidmfmpbiplecjd?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

...but this isn't DLC?

People don't understand the point of this. It's an iOS app, so you can look all snug and cool when you whip out your iPhone to look up a location while playing Skyrim on your Mac.

Bad title. I thought it was actually some DLC for Skyrim, not an app for a device you can't play Skyrim on.

Oh you bastards, i really thought we would get some awesome new map, or locations >:(

I was thinking this was a bit of a dick move... then I realized that it's just an app for Icrap and people who can't be bothered to get the same info for free.

I wonder if someone DID pay for this, would they admit it?

Grey Carter:

Yes, you read that right.

I read that right, but you typed it wrong. This is not DLC. Thanks for clearing up that this is just some iPhone app only about 100 words into the article.

Well... sucks for the people who can't use Google.

On a side note, I had a little moment of joy reading that the game was getting some DLC. I guess "I read that wrong".

Or you could just type Skyrim Map into google.

More money than cents.

So this is an app made by prima games. I already have this on my PC as an extra that came with the collectors edition of the strategy guide.

The title is a bit misleading, it is almost like it was written to get people into a rage at Bethesda for releasing such asinine DLC. Why not put it in the title that this is just some stupid app?

Oh. I thought this was going to be about DLC to create more map in Skyrim (ie, to open up some of the locations that are programmed, but not player-accessible due to invisible walls that say "you cannot go this way").

I am disappointed. This is much less interesting. I don't even own an iphone. And if I did, I wouldn't pay 99 cents for something this useless.

Tiamat666:
I read that right, but you typed it wrong. This is not DLC.

Well, it IS DLC... for the iphone map app. Not for the game. The title is misleading.

Cause the app itself is free, but the DLC for that app is 99 cents.

Yeah, splitting hairs, I know.

why would anyone pay for this? between Google and the skyrim wiki i can find any location, object or character in skyrim i want for free and normally some pretty good information and lore on them

1) Misleading headline
2) Microtransaction app that provides something you can get for free, anyway.
3) Article presents this as though it is an impressive development feat and something you would want.

A cynic might be tempted to conclude that The Escapist has a financial motivation for publishing this story...

Got me all excited for NOTHING. There's absolutely nothing new here - this is just paying more for what we already have. If I want to find a location on the map, I google it. Free and easy.

Seriously, I thought this was going to be some kind of addition to the actual game. Not something that tells you where the already-existing things are.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here