Amnesia Follow-Up Outed as A Machine For Pigs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Amnesia Follow-Up Outed as A Machine For Pigs

The next game from Amnesia studio Frictional Games has been outed - maybe - as A Machine For Pigs.

Did you know that some kind of ARG related to Frictional's next game has been ongoing over the past few days? I didn't, which is a bit of an embarrassing admission, but on the upside it means that I get to immediately enjoy the fruits of other people's labors without having to overtax my own rather flabby intellect. Anyway, thanks to those who were aware of this ARG and taking part in it, we now have a limited but nonetheless rather disturbing preview of what those Amnesia-making sickos are up to.

A Machine For Pigs? Yes, according to this unusual message dug up at nextfrictionalgame.com, which provides the title, a launch window of "fall two thousand twelve" and links to a couple pieces of rather creepy concept art. Also very interesting is that one of the recipients of this hidden message is "TCR," which according to the ARG results posted on the Frictional wiki is a reference to thechineseroom, the indie studio behind the haunting Dear Esther.

If this is true - if Frictional Games and thechineseroom are combining their talents to create a new horror game - I think I will not play it. In fact, I think I will set my PC on fire, change my name, and move to the Pitcairn Islands, just to be sure this thing can't follow me. Pending horror aside, the results of the Frictional ARG to this point are actually a lot of fun to follow, particularly when it gets to the line, "This world is a machine. A machine for pigs. Fit only for the slaughtering of pigs." Yeah, that's not creepy as hell or anything.

Fall 2012. A Machine For Pigs. Because Amnesia wasn't awful enough.

via: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I have goose bumps. I HATE horror games, but i always look forward to their release.

So i can play them, not sleep for the week, and make my wife walk me to the kitchen at night for a glass of water. ((Unless she thinks me walking around the house with a katana in the middle of the night is any better.))

Just as long as it doesn't stop the action every five freaking seconds to blind you with a blast of white light then start hurling exposition at you. Plus it uses the old "info log" technique, but stops the game dead while you "use" said logs. And since when did having to READ a game make it a good one?

Yeesh, I was so underwhelmed by "Amnesia"... I'd love this one to be better because I love the genre as a whole, but I don't "get" the love for that game. So much immersion-breaking stuff in it.

EDIT: boy, I'm grumpy today. Sorry. I genuinely do hope that this is a much better game than "Amnesia" did, because the bits in "Amnesia" where you didn't know where the monster would appear were seriously scary. It's just a shame that these made up so little of the game as a whole.

Man pewdiepie will have a field day on this, PIGGEH!

Anyone else getting a "lord of the rings hobbit hole" vibe from this?

Because it looks like a hobbit's home after the resident snapped.

I just hope that this new game from FG will be able to produce hilarious reactions videos on par with those of Amnesia. That shit alone is worth paying the price of admission.

Well, I'm going to die of fright.

A very small part of me is absolutely terrified by what will come out of this.

BUT, I'm really excited with what they come up with. I love me some horror, and if it's anything like Amnesia then I know I will say farewell to sleep, and sleep with one eye open while holding my Charr plushie for protection.

Well I hope it is better than Amnesia because that game wasn't scary at all. All I did was run through the entire game because I couldn't defend myself.

Fuck.

Yes.

Honestly, they didn't even need to give me any details. I'd cheerfully buy anything with, "From the creator of Amnesia" written on it.

If I ever meet one of those pretentious, shove-their-beliefs-down-your-throat vegans, I'm gonna strap them in a chair and force them to play this game!

Irridium:

I was thinking Hobbits too, Cyberpunk Hobbits!

Anyway this looks like it could be quite promising... Although im wary of actually buying anything from them, given that i still havent been able to complete Amnesia.. I should stop being a pussy at some point so i can finish it.

This is good news indeed. Can't wait to see more details. :D

Looks like that scene in Saw (I/II/III/IV/whatever) with the dead pigs and the lawyer guy...i didn't like that scene. Also, considering i couldn't get two hours through Penumbra i will be following suit with Andy!

HAY GUYZ AMNESIA TOTALLY DIDNT SCARE ME he said as he hammered the escape key, turned up the lights and never looked at it again.

Ah, I'm just kidding. Horror is interesting in that the same material can succeed or fail utterly depending on the consumer. I love that I "get" games like this, and that I'm not missing out on their amazing (and awful) experiences, but I readily accept that not everyone is going to feel the same way about the same stuff. Dear Esther may be an even more polarizing example; I loved it and so did plenty of others, but there's no question that a great many others did not.

That said, I think and I most certainly hope that the combination of Frictional and thechineseroom - if that's indeed what's happening, and bear in mind that this is all still unconfirmed at this point - will lead to great, great (and truly awful) things.

The truffle is a lie!
Fitting that it's called a Machine for Pigs: Based on Frictional's track record, playing this will leave you wrapped... in a blanket.

Irridium:

It's my birthday, did you brings us presents?

Amnesia crossed with Korsakovia? With the narrative and scenery of Dear Esther and a twist at the end on a par with Penumbra?

I must be dreaming. Or having a horrible, horrible nightmare :<

Andy Chalk:
"This world is a machine. A machine for pigs. Fit only for the slaughtering of pigs." Yeah, that's not creepy as hell or anything.

Yeah...

Somehow my youth is coming back to haunt me...

Right, never played Amnesia, but I plan to. Perhaps I can play these games back to back? Yeah, that seems like a solid idea!

So... We went from Penumbra, going around solving puzzles and avoiding scary monsters...
To Amnesia, going around solving puzzles and avoiding fewer scary monsters...
To A Machine For Pigs, recreating one of the worst scenes from the Saw franchise.

Did Frictional get taken over by Americans?

Damn it... I still have Amnesia installed in my harddrive, 2 years after it's release and I just can't get the courage to play the damn thing. And I'm seriously interested in this new game and I will certainly buy it. I just don't know if I'll ever be able to finish it.

Aweesome! Also ditching the "ancient evil" for "fucked up people killing shit" will be extra scary I think. I always find ancient evil type enemies to be a little bit of a joke, but if this game is about people who purposely try to murder people (look at those pics!) I think this might qualify for scariest media ever created ever since forever. Can't wait!

The name reminded me of this. Watch it. It's totally awesome.

Anyways, I'd like to play this game. I tried playing Amnesia, but did not get far; I absolutely hate feeling powerless and feel like I have no control.
But I will try to overcome this disability and play this game... Bring it on.

Well... As long as it doesn't have INVISIBLE FLESH-EATING WATER MONSTERS, I think I can go through it!

Maybe you should make a Let's Play, Andy. We could scream together.

Wolfram01:
Aweesome! Also ditching the "ancient evil" for "fucked up people killing shit" will be extra scary I think. I always find ancient evil type enemies to be a little bit of a joke, but if this game is about people who purposely try to murder people (look at those pics!) I think this might qualify for scariest media ever created ever since forever. Can't wait!

In fairness half of Ammneisa is about fucked up killing people, only the shadow and maybe the water monster are ancient evil things, the rest are people created by

They try to make it sound scary but all I heard was "free bacon".

ok, i've looked at the two pictures and already i'm freaked out and nervous about this new game. Damn Frictional Games you scary! I'm guessing from that first picture they'll be mutilated bodies and from the second that it's in a factory....

Oh, maybe it just an industrialized version of a slaughter house. Or maybe it like soylent green!

Good God. I want no part of this. I can respect the work, but I'm not touching it with a 50ft pole.

...Well, I have been thinking more about Horror lately....

Who am I kidding. This thing would probably turn me into a recluse, I'm already slightly disturbed by Pigs now, just from seeing this.

Shawn MacDonald:
Well I hope it is better than Amnesia because that game wasn't scary at all. All I did was run through the entire game because I couldn't defend myself.

Stop playing Frictional games, then. "Helpless Sprinter Horror" is the only kind of game they make.

OT: I'm very afraid. I wonder if they can top the Amnesia "Chapel Choir" for pure unadulterated disturbingness.

Xpheyel:
They try to make it sound scary but all I heard was "free bacon".

Nope, that makes it even worse.

lacktheknack:

OT: I'm very afraid. I wonder if they can top the Amnesia "Chapel Choir" for pure unadulterated disturbingness.

Oh lord the choir, This is an accurate depiction of me when I got to the iron maiden

imnotparanoid:

lacktheknack:

Oh lord the choir, This is an accurate depiction of me when I got to the iron maiden
snip

THE DESCRIPTION

WHY

Here, have a video of a very intelligent person stepping inside.

Oh, all the badasses here in the comments. I sure am not one of them.

Im just going to go hide now. Otherwise....DOOM

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)