Bethesda: "People Underestimate How Many Core Gamers There Are"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

GonzoGamer:
The hype really helps too doesn't it?

That it does.

Other than me and my brother, none of the 14 people I know that bought Skyrim really knew anything about it - they saw an epic looking advert where some adventurer guy went toe-to-toe against a massive dragon, and thought "thatll do me". One of those people was my friends mother buying it as a birthday present.

For the people that count gaming as a hobby rather than a distraction, sure, it may have been the engine, or the Elder Scrolls/Bethesda story telling expertise, or the demos, but for the unwashed masses, it was a good advert and word of mouth.

NightHawk21:

Warriors beat Archers
Mages beat Warriors
Archers beat fucking everything

Fixed that for you.
Seriously, Stealth Archery is as broken as they say. You might not be able to 1-shot Daedric-Armor wearing warriors, but you can put 3 in their face before they get close enough to hit you with a their sticks, or shoot them from just outside their max patrol range, wait for them to forget that they have 18 inches of dwarven wood (heh heh) sticking out of their eye, and repeat.

rolfwesselius:
Hardcore fans calling it dumbed down shit in 3....2.....1....0
Ot: Skyrim sold because it is accessible, in an easy to learn controls and mechanics kinda way.
But the world is really deep and you can just drink in it's scale.
Its what an open world game should be.
1:easy controls
2:incredibly huge world
3:No You must have X stat at Y and, you must level this way or you will get weaker are not good gameplay mechainics.(seriously who likes those)

All they need to do is give it combat like dark messiah
Think about it skyrim's open world with dark messiah's combat.
*Creams pants*

you mean replace every combat move with kick and the slippery ice floor spell? (which later is perfectly replaced by fus ro dah.)

-------------------------------

i think skyrims success lies with its timing in an oversaturated fps market,
the focus on the nordic lore instead of only the tolkien lore and powerful yet hilarious magic abilities (Throw Voice; Unrelenting Force; Whirlwind Sprint etc.) and funny bugs.

whenever i hear a friend talk about a fantasy game they always remember the most funny stuff they can do in it or see.
like kicking people of stairs in dark messiah, shouting people of mountains in skyrim etc.

ZippyDSMlee:
They do know thats why media is ridden with crap entertainment... Oblivion is still weak, Fallout 3 still a joke and Skyrim boring as hell.

To you maybe... out of curiosity what games DO you enjoy?

There were a lot of things i disliked about oblivion, but there were way more that i loved. There were even some things in the Oblivion that were better than Morrowind, and of course some things better than Skyrim (Here's looking at you Dark Brotherhood questline)

But, i loved all three games. given, it took me about 4 years after release to finally try Oblivion a second time...as i bought straight after another huge MW kick.. and it just didn't do it for me at the time.

But on topic... sooo many reasosn for Skyrim's success. A lot of which listed above. But also bear in mind just genereal public perceptions of what is classically called "geek" or "nerd" culture. The average person and the nerd are no longer as far removed from each other as they were even 10 years ago, so the "cool" kids are less inclined to disregard something that was once viewed as "nerdy".. like fantasy RPG's.

Soooo many things. But.. please bring back our armor options from Morrowind.. it's one of two things i truely miss. that and striders >< but they wouldn't work in any other setting i don't think...

DVS BSTrD:
My Theory? A game that lets you kill dragons by yelling at them simply cannot be eggNord

>.> that looked like it hurt coming out, you ok over there ....

OT: meh, I'm not going to play it for a verity of reasons, but I'd wager a guess are scenery and the above quote

targren:
The second is that the balance is off. For a game with so many "ways to play it," it's surprisingly poorly balanced. For some reason, enemy mages are widely known to be faceraping evil on a stick, but try to go pure mage on your own? Good luck with that. Doesn't even compare to dual-wielding or even sword-n-board.

I agree, in the sense that is way too easy. Did my first run as a pure mage conjurer with minors in destro and resto, some stealth and some archery, and every fight that i found after after learning the first atronach was doable, after killing a dragon priest at level 9 (which was endless and i used every dirty trick i could to barely win) I decided to turn up to master (and have played on master all the time ever since), then it was back not to being faceroll easy till i got the daedric lord, not two, just one... and everything just died before me (well, before my pets to be exact). In that run enemy mages either raped me if they had the jump or were stupidly easy if i managed to drop a daedric lord on them.

Started a second run some time ago, warrior, RL got in the middle, i do remember however ice mages being tough as freaking nails! Remined me of WoW and how much the ice mages made my warrior rage.

In the middle of the third run now, went stealth working on pure rogue skills, one handed and resto (because i am squishy). In this run mages are just full of fail, they die to me in 1 hit if i get the jump (and they are very easy to sneak attack btw), or die in a couple of seconds if they manage to see me; warriors with sword and board and animals are much much harder. Dragons however.... i just run when i see one, can't do anything about them; that might be because i don't use any companions and have 3-4 mods to make the game harder, included deadly dragons insane, one day when i am level 60-70 with amazing gear i might be able to kill one -.-

So... yeah, there is kinda rock-paper-scissors approach, and yeah, the game is not that well balanced (without mods); but any good build mage, warrior or rogue can face rape (most of the stuff) with the right playstyle and without exploiting or min-maxing.

NightHawk21:

Warriors beat Archers
Mages beat Warriors

Hehe, you need to add custom made warriors with skills in block. But yeah, stealth is probably the best skill in the game.

WWmelb:

ZippyDSMlee:
They do know thats why media is ridden with crap entertainment... Oblivion is still weak, Fallout 3 still a joke and Skyrim boring as hell.

To you maybe... out of curiosity what games DO you enjoy?

There were a lot of things i disliked about oblivion, but there were way more that i loved. There were even some things in the Oblivion that were better than Morrowind, and of course some things better than Skyrim (Here's looking at you Dark Brotherhood questline)

But, i loved all three games. given, it took me about 4 years after release to finally try Oblivion a second time...as i bought straight after another huge MW kick.. and it just didn't do it for me at the time.

But on topic... sooo many reasosn for Skyrim's success. A lot of which listed above. But also bear in mind just genereal public perceptions of what is classically called "geek" or "nerd" culture. The average person and the nerd are no longer as far removed from each other as they were even 10 years ago, so the "cool" kids are less inclined to disregard something that was once viewed as "nerdy".. like fantasy RPG's.

Soooo many things. But.. please bring back our armor options from Morrowind.. it's one of two things i truely miss. that and striders >< but they wouldn't work in any other setting i don't think...

Combat was about the only thing better in Oblivion everything else was fcked over to get the great unwashed to buy it and its even worse in fallout 3 with a steep lack of equipment/items and balanced skill system for a 50 hour game(put 100+ hours into it with 2 restarts trying to pace it out but the game is horribly paced as well didn't have this problem in Oblivoin as most places where located in such a way you found them without mindless exploration sucking up days, even with the DLC I managed to finish it under 70 hours FO3 is an utter train wreck but thats mostly due to the half assed VASTS and skill system taking 10 hours to max out).

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion because the main story is utter BS and some of the side quests are unfinished...and I liked having a shield a weaopn and magic....would have been nice if you could keep that.

I love well balanced games but am forced to play the crap the industry puts out because there is nothing much else to play, I prefer games over TV but good god they are getting as bad even worse with bad gameplay means what enjoyment as a game is gone.

What I really hate when a technical game like fallout/Baldurs gate(IE new Bioware games suck )/Dungeon siege/Morrowind,ect get turned into casual fodder.....

It would be nice if they made the nice qaulity game with some depth and then put heavy training wheels on it for the nubs and consoletards but no like everything else the core product gets ruined as so they can sell down to the masses.

God I am a glass half empty person LOL I should be thankful they are trying half assed crap......but I can't be ;_;

My theory was always Bethesda's steady transition to consoles broadened their audience to people who like games but don't pirate them.

Westaway:

And I have been a fan since Oblivion, and I have played Morrowind. I agree with you. The stuff they took out is good. But TES are main stream. I'm in high school. Before, all I would hear about is CoD. Now all I hear about is Skyrim. "It was so epic dude, there were like 2 of them! And I was all like FUS RO DAH!"
It's annoring and has generaly pushed me away from the series, the same way it did with CoD (although the huge drop in game quality contributed too)
I'm just scared about Fallout. If normal guys are getting into fantasy world with swords and magic, they sure as hell will get into the apocolyps with guns and gore.

I've never actually seen someone come out and say they hate a game for being popular...

Congratulations?

OT: I'm pleased with it. Though admittedly, I haven't touched it in almost over a month because I really did kind of reach the peak of my excitement with it.

Personally, I think it's the cities. I didn't really like any of them nearly as much Cyrodil, and as beautiful as the game was, the snowy harsh environment sort of shut me out a bit.

Still great game, and I'm hoping the first DLC is something nifty.

targren:

NightHawk21:

Warriors beat Archers
Mages beat Warriors

Fixed that for you.
Seriously, Stealth Archery is as broken as they say. You might not be able to 1-shot Daedric-Armor wearing warriors, but you can put 3 in their face before they get close enough to hit you with a their sticks, or shoot them from just outside their max patrol range, wait for them to forget that they have 18 inches of dwarven wood (heh heh) sticking out of their eye, and repeat.

Lol ya mid to end game your right, but I mean more early game the first 10-20 levels. Mages break after that too, and warriors probably a bit later if you took smithing.

It sold because the depth is optional. I can hunt and craft and enchant, and find clues and unmarked treasure. Not to mention all the perks that do things other than just make you do more damage, magic that buffs opposed to murders and alchemy.

And someone who's never played before can just grab a sword and kill some shit. It's the proper way to make a game accessible, Dragon Age 2 tried and it just ended up being boring.

Skyrim has done well because it is a fantastic video game.

Also, you can be a bard.

Westaway:
And I have been a fan since Oblivion, and I have played Morrowind. I agree with you. The stuff they took out is good. But TES are main stream. I'm in high school. Before, all I would hear about is CoD. Now all I hear about is Skyrim. "It was so epic dude, there were like 2 of them! And I was all like FUS RO DAH!"
It's annoring and has generaly pushed me away from the series, the same way it did with CoD (although the huge drop in game quality contributed too)
I'm just scared about Fallout. If normal guys are getting into fantasy world with swords and magic, they sure as hell will get into the apocolyps with guns and gore.

Why should the fact that other people also play Skyrim push you away from it? That's just hipster bullshit right there.

It's because it's so big. Im going to use me and my sister as an example. My sister play's games on occasion but she is not really a regular gamer. She really enjoy's Skyrim because it's easy to play and can be a lot of fun, she pretty much runs around as a cat person doing stuff. It appeals to those who don't play game much.

I on the other hand play games more than anything, I love a good experience and although I didn't think Skyrim was th best it did offer me a great fantasy experiance, I can get bored of it easily but I keep going back to it since although the world isn't very deep or alive, it is so big that it makes up for this enough for it to be fun.

ZippyDSMlee:

That is your opinion it is not a fact please get your shit together.

Everything about the game is appealing.

The graphical fidelity and scale will appeal to the noobs.

The epic story and quests will appeal to the more hardcore gamers.

The story and lore and timeless geography will appeal to the die hard TES fans.

A very diverse RPG element for the casual players.

Robust combat system for the foamy mouth players.

A collection element for the obsessive compulsive hoarders.

And there is the ability to kill dragons and propel bitches off of mountains with nothing but your voice. That pretty much covers the entire human race in the category 'what do you want in a game?'

JoesshittyOs:

Westaway:

I've never actually seen someone come out and say they hate a game for being popular...

Congratulations?

OT: I'm pleased with it. Though admittedly, I haven't touched it in almost over a month because I really did kind of reach the peak of my excitement with it.

Personally, I think it's the cities. I didn't really like any of them nearly as much Cyrodil, and as beautiful as the game was, the snowy harsh environment sort of shut me out a bit.

Still great game, and I'm hoping the first DLC is something nifty.

Hyper-space:

Westaway:

Why should the fact that other people also play Skyrim push you away from it? That's just hipster bullshit right there.

Ok guys, I'm a hipster. I don't dislike it because it's popular. Oblivion was popular as hell. I play popular games every day. But not popular with these idiots at my school. I hear about hilarious Skyrim ecounters for atleast an hour a day. It pisses me off. Now, after being pissed off by kids talking about a certain video game, the likelyhood that I will go home and play that game is very slim. That is why I stopped enjoying it.

Besides, hipsters don't even exist....

Westaway:
snip

WHY?!

I wish more peeps at my school would talk about Skyrim. Hell, if the "popular" douche-bags started to talk about Skyrim, that would be a +1 in my book.

Hyper-space:

Westaway:
snip

WHY?!

I wish more peeps at my school would talk about Skyrim. Hell, if the "popular" douche-bags started to talk about Skyrim, that would be a +1 in my book.

This I thought was actually a bit funny, because where I am at the moment Skyrim is talked about by a lot of the more popular people. Hell my brother has always been a lot more jock like then me and even he talked to me about Skyrim and considered getting it. Twice since it has been released I have talked (on seperate occaisions) to someone at a club and had a conversation about Skyrim, hell one of those people even had like a lot more hours then me and was 10 levels higher then me -.-

Hyper-space:

Westaway:
snip

WHY?!

*walks in room*
"heys guys, w-"
"YOU'LL NEVER GUESS HOW MUCH EBONY ORE I FOUND"
"...oh"
Trust me, I know how dumb it sounds. But the extent of the popularity in my school is astounding. It just got on my nerves. Now I'm back to Dark Souls and jolly-cooperation.

Double post :/

The reason is simple.

Quick to learn, difficult to master

Westaway:

Hyper-space:

Westaway:
snip

WHY?!

*walks in room*
"heys guys, w-"
"YOU'LL NEVER GUESS HOW MUCH EBONY ORE I FOUND"
"...oh"
Trust me, I know how dumb it sounds. But the extent of the popularity in my school is astounding. It just got on my nerves. Now I'm back to Dark Souls and jolly-cooperation.

I go to a game development school, for a solid several months everyday it was OMG SKYRIM :D

I must confess I bought skyrim used about 3 weeks ago. Originally, I didn't have much fun with elder scrolls 4 and thought I wasn't gonna enjoy it. But my girlfriend wanted both of us to play it. Plus we ran into a bad situation and needed something to try to raise our spirits with the bit o cash we had.

Needless to say our spirits raised and we haven't played anything else these past 3 weeks.

I originally played as a traditional redguard heavy warrior, but put him on the back burner and am now playing a khajit stealth warrior-assassin with a bit in destruction and restoration. My girlfriend plays a heavy armored breton spell-warrior

Can't wait to buy the first DLC, I owe bethesda money :)

The fact that the game manages to be deep and expansive, yet accessible and easy-to-learn for most gamers. Add that to the amount of Polish Bethesda throw on there and the immersive, FPS-style viewpoint and interaction, and yeah. Winning formula.

Skyrim isn't what I'd call a truly "hardcore" game, if anything that title goes to Morrowind. Instead it treads the line and manages to bring something to the table that can satisfy both casual and core alike. This is pretty difficult to pull off but they did it well.

Morrowind was unnecessarily difficult and theres no need to go all the way back to those days.

I've played a few hundred hours of Skyrim, and I do agree with a some who say it's simplified. But is that actually a bad thing? On one hand, the simple mechanics make interactions with the structured content in the game world much more enjoyable. On the other hand, being simpler prevents some things from being possible that you may want to do. And on the third, mutant hand growing out of my back (a result of the 150 hours I spent in Fallout 3 in the months waiting for Skyrim's launch), the limitations created by any simplification can be used as a means of nudging players in the direction of any of the myriad of interesting things tucked away in remote locals, or simply to keep the game from being broken.

Consider this example. In my travels across Skyrim, I was climbing a mountain by the good old "run blindly into a 50 slope and mash the jump button" technique, having ignored what looked to be a meandering trail which wound around the mountain which I assumed would take too long to follow. About halfway up, I questioned why levitation was not included in Skyrim, as levitation is certainly a thing that exists in the TES universe (as evidenced by various books, as well as the fact that it was in Morrowind). Why is it that we can't have levitation, a spell which would be infinitely useful in a game world which features a mountain or two (or fifty)? I suspected it was due to the fact that each major city is its own cell, requiring the player to enter and exit though main gates, and that presumably it would be incredibly difficult to make entrance and exit through these possible with levitation. I reached the summit of the mountain, found something or other which I didn't care enough about to remember, and proceeded to jump off the other side using the Fade shout.

A month later, I unwittingly returned to this mountain via the trail I had ignored the previous time. Following the trail, I found a small chest filled with treasure hidden under a basket, I used ice form on a bandit and watched him roll off the side of the mountain into the valley below, I crossed a canyon by walking a narrow log after nearly falling to my death after being startled by and calming a lone bandit I had not seen sitting on the middle of the log, FUS RO DAH'd a bear into a troll, and I found/saved a pair of hunters who were being mauled by bears and spriggans next to a beautiful little lake at the top. I would not have found these things if I had a levitation spell, nor would most people, because there are few people who would climb a mountain when they can fucking fly up the side.

Of course, I'm sure most people who think the game is too simplified have a billion reasons for why they feel it should be more in depth and complex. I've not actually heard that many reasons, other than "RPGs should be as detailed as possible so that you can do anything you want within them," but I'm assuming there are a lot of legitimate points out there other than that one. To be frank, that by it self is a damn fine point. I dream of a day when we can have RPGs which allow you to do absolutely anything, respond to dialog with your own voice/text commands, and allow for true freedom to role play as you see fit with no restrictions past the physics of the game world. Sadly, it's a dream for a reason. We aren't there yet, and no one can make something like that. Maybe if Bethesda stole IBM's Watson and used it as the response generator for every bit of dialog, then spent the next fifty years working on a game where every conceivable idea was a possible game option we would have it a glimpse of it at the end of that fifty years. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen, and I doubt your Xbox would play it anyways. As such, we are forced to rely on other human beings and pen & paper for our hardcore RPG experiences.

tl;dr some simplification and ommissions can make for a better game experience, and it's not like they're able to give everyone the absolute freedom to do whatever in their game anyways.

ZippyDSMlee:

WWmelb:

ZippyDSMlee:

snip

Combat was about the only thing better in Oblivion everything else was fcked over to get the great unwashed to buy it and its even worse in fallout 3 with a steep lack of equipment/items and balanced skill system for a 50 hour game(put 100+ hours into it with 2 restarts trying to pace it out but the game is horribly paced as well didn't have this problem in Oblivoin as most places where located in such a way you found them without mindless exploration sucking up days, even with the DLC I managed to finish it under 70 hours FO3 is an utter train wreck but thats mostly due to the half assed VASTS and skill system taking 10 hours to max out).

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion because the main story is utter BS and some of the side quests are unfinished...and I liked having a shield a weaopn and magic....would have been nice if you could keep that.

I love well balanced games but am forced to play the crap the industry puts out because there is nothing much else to play, I prefer games over TV but good god they are getting as bad even worse with bad gameplay means what enjoyment as a game is gone.

What I really hate when a technical game like fallout/Baldurs gate(IE new Bioware games suck )/Dungeon siege/Morrowind,ect get turned into casual fodder.....

It would be nice if they made the nice qaulity game with some depth and then put heavy training wheels on it for the nubs and consoletards but no like everything else the core product gets ruined as so they can sell down to the masses.

God I am a glass half empty person LOL I should be thankful they are trying half assed crap......but I can't be ;_;

That's like... your opinion man.

As a fan of Elder Scrolls as far back as Daggerfall, I would rate Skyrim on par with Morrowind, not worse then Oblivion.

On a side note: Balance? What the hell? Yes there are overpowered builds in Skyrim. But you know what? It's your choice to choose those perks, to use that armour, to abuse that system etc. etc. You suffer for your lack of imagination in this regard.

Ever think of handicapping yourself... like the perks you invest in? Try no straight damage boosts after a certain point (maxing out at 3/5 Strongarm for the One handed skill as an example), or limiting yourself to a certain grade of weapon (Capping at Steel or Elven, not touching Daedric or Ebony?), or forcing yourself to not loot corpses for anything other then Necessary items (keys and notes). Be inventive.... ROLE PLAY.

Though not specifically aimed at you, I find it funny whenever people argue the lack of roleplaying options in Skyrim, as that ironically shows a lack of imagination... something intrinsic to roleplaying.

rolfwesselius:
Hardcore fans calling it dumbed down shit in 3....2.....1....0
Ot: No You must have X stat at Y and, you must level this way or you will get weaker are not good gameplay mechainics.(seriously who likes those).

The japanese, appearently. That's why i hate JRPG's with a vengeance, except Enchanted Arms i suppose, the only turn based "RPG" ive ever been able to at least sit through.

Ragsnstitches:

ZippyDSMlee:

WWmelb:
snip

That's like... your opinion man.

As a fan of Elder Scrolls as far back as Daggerfall, I would rate Skyrim on par with Morrowind, not worse then Oblivion.

On a side note: Balance? What the hell? Yes there are overpowered builds in Skyrim. But you know what? It's your choice to choose those perks, to use that armour, to abuse that system etc. etc. You suffer for your lack of imagination in this regard.

Ever think of handicapping yourself... like the perks you invest in? Try no straight damage boosts after a certain point (maxing out at 3/5 Strongarm for the One handed skill as an example), or limiting yourself to a certain grade of weapon (Capping at Steel or Elven, not touching Daedric or Ebony?), or forcing yourself to not loot corpses for anything other then Necessary items (keys and notes). Be inventive.... ROLE PLAY.

Though not specifically aimed at you, I find it funny whenever people argue the lack of roleplaying options in Skyrim, as that ironically shows a lack of imagination... something intrinsic to roleplaying.

Ever think they could make a better game but don't have to because no one cares enough?

targren:
I admit it. I didn't think I'd like Skyrim. I was wrong.

I don't LOVE it. It's a good game, but I can't call it great. Maybe now that the SCK is out that may change, but there were two big problems that basically kept me from being thrilled. The first is, of course, the bugs, which Howard acknowledges in TFA.

The second is that the balance is off. For a game with so many "ways to play it," it's surprisingly poorly balanced. For some reason, enemy mages are widely known to be faceraping evil on a stick, but try to go pure mage on your own? Good luck with that. Doesn't even compare to dual-wielding or even sword-n-board.

I tried to start a new character to go through it, but found myself falling into the exact same pattern as my first run-through. Okay, not the exact same, something is different. The second time around, I went with light armor instead of heavy...

I've played Skyrim for around 200 hours on one character. A mage. And I've found quite the opposite: mages are incredibly overpowered. Particularly once you get the "Impact" perk, because then even dragons can't attack you while you're attacking them.

Sure, I die in two hits from any draugr deathlord, but I can kill them in little more than a second before they even reach me.

Surprising also that no one mentions the interface. The interface, for me, (specifically the inventory/barter/container menus) really held me back when I first got the game.
After one hour of playing, I practically gave up. It was simply too dumbed down. You couldn't tell at a glance what items where enchanted, stolen, what the value and weight was, etc. You couldn't even sort items by different categories!
Then I got the QD Inventory mod and everything changed. Skyrim became the game it always should have been.
Now of course I'm using SkyUI, which is even better, and I don't know how people put up with the vanilla interface.

D'aaw, it's cute how Howard thinks Skyrim has depth.

rolfwesselius:

ZippyDSMlee:

That is your opinion it is not a fact please get your shit together.

I'm sure he knows its his opinion seeming as how he said it.

Anyway On Topic: Can't argue with anything he said minus one thing: Depth. Really? Are we on about the same Skyrim here? If you say so...

Ragsnstitches:

From a roleplaying point of view I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

From a gameplay point of view...nope. Not at all. If there are issues with balance (which lets be honest...there really are) They do need to be sorted and resolved so that the game is an actual challenge rather than the left and right mouse buttons becoming 'Iwin' buttons. Simply saying 'well don't pick that perk' doesn't solve the problem.

ZippyDSMlee:

Ragsnstitches:
snip

Ever think they could make a better game but don't have to because no one cares enough?

I have no doubt they can make the game better. That Gamejam session shown a few days ago proves that, whether it's minor touches or giving what the fans wanted. Anything added at this point that does not break the game or remove content is technically and definitively, an improvement.

Yet...

Ever think that it is a great game, but not a great game for you? Since you no comprehend the notion of subjective opinion (IE, everything you have said in this topic thus far), I'll keep this light:

Pick any game in your top 5 games of all time roster, make a topic on it and tell everyone how these games are so great. Then sit back and watch as a few people agree with you, then a fuck ton of people dismiss your opinion and interject their own. Surely the only reason for this anomaly is that everyone is either a Troll or is some uncultured swine. They can't POSSIBLY not like the stuff you like for genuine reasons of taste. After all, you are the pinnacle of refined taste?

Oh wait, you have meme based avatar, superimposed onto the Space Ghost villain, Brak. Fuck no... your taste is awful and you have no right to tell me otherwise.

Seriously though, I don't give a hoot about your avatar, but my point stands. You can, by all means not like a game and even state why, but you cannot tell other people that they are wrong and are "casual fodder" or the "great unwashed". That is just arrogance with no foundation... also known as being full of shit.

I could probably keep this up ad nauseum, but you're not worth the effort. I'll just leave on one last personal point. "Glass half empty" folks are never the target for any developer, big and small... who would want to make stuff for a person who only see's the worst in things, but omits the stuff done right? "Glass half empty" folks are not enlightened and lack perspective for proper critical analyses.

Addendum: It's not your opinion that irks people, it's your flagrant disregard and demeaning of other peoples tastes and preferences. This is why people will just scoff at your point of view. Why should you care though? Well, if you didn't want your opinion heard you wouldn't be on a forum notorious for heavily opinionated topics now would you.

El Luck:

Ragsnstitches:

From a roleplaying point of view I can somewhat see where you're coming from.

From a gameplay point of view...nope. Not at all. If there are issues with balance (which lets be honest...there really are) They do need to be sorted and resolved so that the game is an actual challenge rather than the left and right mouse buttons becoming 'Iwin' buttons. Simply saying 'well don't pick that perk' doesn't solve the problem.

I actually agree with you. The imbalances shouldn't be ignored and if Todds word is anything to go by (hint: it's not) they will get to balance when all the major bugs are ironed out. However there are 2 things you must be aware of:

1. It is not feasible to release a flaw free game. From bugs to balance issues, even with excellent game testers mowing through a game the number of possible things that can break is monumental. Even strictly linear games like Half Life or Unchartered have such issues despite the pedigree of the people working on it. This means that you will inevitably have to deal with problems, or change the type of game you play.

2. Balance is impossible to perfect. Imagine you are playing that game you found obscenely difficult to the point it actually soured your enjoyment. Even a person who enjoys challenges will encounter such a scenario (like myself). Now imagine someone playing a game you thought was perfectly balanced, but they are struggling so much that they are starting to contemplate breaking their TV. You see, the game might have been calibrated by people like you, but it might still be too punishing for other people. A game like Skyrim which now has mass appeal, for better and for worse, will never be a source of challenging gameplay, PC mods might/will come out that address that but for console gamers you will have to make do.

If balance is made in skyrim, it will be made to avoid exploitations and to cut back on obscenely overpowered builds and to make weaker builds more tenable. But the TES team have always wanted to empower the player, so much so that the biggest complaint in Oblivion was that at no point in the game did you feel powerful, since most enemies/creatures levelled with you. That itch you have that makes you play truly difficult games will never be scratched... officially at least.

So, where I stand, Handicapping yourself is a good way to improvise... especially if you are on a console. It also fits with Role Play, but it's not specifically why I do it. I'm currently doing a playthrough with a Nord in a combination of Iron and fur armour, and Iron weapons, focusing on blocking and specialising with axes. After 300 hours it helps to keep things fresh as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64545)