BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

You know, I really rather prefer people who aren't into games to be the ones doing the writing, the art and the music, as they have precious little to do with the game design. Her mistake was, yes, ever saying such a thing (and definitely that retort was out of line, if very funny), but unfortunately she was giving the rabid backbiters on the Internet too much credit by assuming they'd stop and think about it, and then stooped to their level.

It's the game designers and lead coders that need to be immersed in gaming, since they're the ones (primarily the designers) that will be guiding the artists, writers, musicians and so on. If any of them produces something that doesn't fit with the design of the game, they'll change it. The writer, even the lead writer, isn't going to be making actual gameplay decisions.

I think a lot of this comes from the mistaken belief that even the lead writers for a game are responsible for the gameplay itself.

draythefingerless:

Spot1990:

draythefingerless:

actually Hard Rain and LA Noire have gameplay. Hard Rain has a choice mechanics system, as well as character movement, world interaction, and quick time events. Wich btw, are very bad fucking game mechanics, and that is why a lot of people hate that game(not to mention the idiotic story). LA noire is muuuch more obvious. you can choose to solve crimes and look for clues using the game mechanic, explore the world using the movement, participate in shooting and chase challenges. really, if you say story is more important in a game than gameplay, youre being an idiot. if you say you prefer playing games for the story than to actually play them, thats fine, but dont go messing priorities. you wouldnt have mass effect or any RPG, OR ANY GAME, without gameplay, good or bad. what is essential comes before what is important.

Gameplay is player interaction and choice with the virtual software with the express purpose of entertainment.

I never said it was all they had. I just said character interaction was a huge and important part of the gameplay because you said character interaction isn't, in fact, gameplay. I also never said that story was more important than gameplay. Or am I just misinterpreting what I'm saying?

player interaction with characters is gameplay. character interaction independent of the player is just a story creation element. you can even NOT have characters in a game.

Shit sorry, thought you were Argente, that's why I said "you said character interaction isn't".

Anyway, I'm not arguing that story is more important than gameplay. I'm saying story is an important aspect and it's perfectly fine for it to be someone's favourite aspect. The other thing I was saying in this discussion is that in videogames "story" becomes an interactive thing, not something you just watch happen. Things like communication, the way you're character develops and the way the plot unfolds (in games with choice systems) are gameplay as well as story elements. Nowhere did I say characters, character interaction or development are essential, just that they are gameplay mechanics when you're the one controlling those things. I think you think I'm taking a much more extreme stance than I actually am.

*throws in my two cents*

Hepler is a bit of an idiot and I do not agree with her opinion whatsoever and, as a designer in a video game industry, an industry with a rabid fanbase, she should have paid more attention to what she was saying.

However...

Internet, you are stupid. The only real blunder I can think of that BioWare has made in the past few years is Dragon Age 2. TOR, while I don't care for it, is amazing, and Mass Effect and Dragon Age have been, for the most part, excellent. BioWare hasn't been 'dying', nor does the recent events that they've shown show that they are dying (although the From Ashes DLC pack may show that Activision is forcing them to nickel-and-dime some content). Plus, it's one idiot. An idiot that the company itself has shown that they have some respect for. Leave an honest opinion, don't insult the company that has given you video gaming brilliance these past years, and GTFO.

Please. Show that the average Internet user has an IQ above 99.

ZeroMachine:
For the record, I loved Dragon Age 2. Not as much as the first, but I still loved it. And I thought Legacy was amazing.

Silly Zero, don't you know that "Good, but flawed" = "Abomination". DA2 was so bad that most of its detractors can tell you what they hated about its ending. Showing that it was so awful that they willingly played it for 50+ hrs.

Nerd rage is a hilarious facet of the net that eludes me. I talk exactly like this in real life, and I know nerd rage people don't really describe everything imperfect irl as a cataclysmic failure, so it mystifies me. If I read inane exaggerations like those though, the person's opinion is automatically entitled to less weight.

Andy Chalk:
Here's my blanket response to everyone who says that Hepler brought this on herself, at least in part, because she dared to respond to her attackers:

"I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either" is a fucking EPIC zing, and I suspect that many of you are angry that she was able to lay it down so easily and effectively with a single line of text.

Epic doesn't even begin to describe it. Also on a side-note, most writing in games is done collaboratively, so any criticism about how she may or may not have "ruined' a game, or a character in that games is invalid, because you cannot attribute them to a single writer. However I cannot say the same of her novels (which I have not read) so those may very well be bad.

Silenttalker22:

ZeroMachine:
For the record, I loved Dragon Age 2. Not as much as the first, but I still loved it. And I thought Legacy was amazing.

Silly Zero, don't you know that "Good, but flawed" = "Abomination". DA2 was so bad that most of its detractors can tell you what they hated about its ending. Showing that it was so awful that they willingly played it for 50+ hrs.

Nerd rage is a hilarious facet of the net that eludes me. I talk exactly like this in real life, and I know nerd rage people don't really describe everything imperfect irl as a cataclysmic failure, so it mystifies me. If I read inane exaggerations like those though, the person's opinion is automatically entitled to less weight.

Some people like to play through a whole game to see if it picks up at any point. They also tend to give it a chance if they enjoyed the previous game. If not one of those two, they might like to know what they're talking about when they tell someone they don't like it. I, however, couldn't play it for more than an hour before I got bored as hell and wondered why every professional game review site was giving it excellent reviews. Just because someone feels betrayed that a game series has been dumbed down by the company they used to love doesn't mean they're nerd-raging, it means that they're experiencing buyer's remorse. The bitterness tends to last longer, especially, when they see on the company's forums that any post saying anything negative about the game is dismissed as "trolling", and that people have entitlement issues for not being okay with a game's flaws being addressed incredibly poorly and then ignored thereafter.

Having read the entire thread up to this point, i've come to one conclusion.

Im going to buy one of Hepler's books, i don't care whether its good or not, buying her book is the biggest FU i can give to all the mindless little scumbags who felt they had the right to harass her because they didn't like a fucking computer game.

Anyone else who is disgusted by this mindless drivel that people are spewing at her. Feel free to do the same thing.

IronicBeet:

Silenttalker22:

ZeroMachine:

Some people like to play through a whole game to see if it picks up at any point. They also tend to give it a chance if they enjoyed the previous game. If not one of those two, they might like to know what they're talking about when they tell someone they don't like it.

Yah I anticipated someone would say that. I also don't believe for a fraction of a second, that even half of the people (dozens on this site alone) who called it a 'failure', 'garbage', 'Worthless', all have the absurd life of luxury that lets them waste 50 hrs of their life on something they genuinely loath, instead of doing something fun or productive. If they are, then they don't really belong chiming in on a discussion with us sane people.

Harker067:
These snotty little entitled brats disgust me I can only hope this is just a phase and they grow the fuck up.

People don't "grow up", they just learn how to "act" in public. Also there's a funny thing about communicating on the internet. You can be in "public" online without anyone actually seeing you and there are hardly ever any serious consequences if you are inappropriate.

Your discretion of them is quite true, but as for your hopes for them to become better with time......Well don't hold your breath, or do. No I'm not trying to be mean! You won't die if you hold your breath. You'll just pass out and start to breathe involuntarily. Or not.

I'm not a doctor. I'm just some, guy...Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8!

Silenttalker22:

IronicBeet:

Silenttalker22:

Some people like to play through a whole game to see if it picks up at any point. They also tend to give it a chance if they enjoyed the previous game. If not one of those two, they might like to know what they're talking about when they tell someone they don't like it.

Yah I anticipated someone would say that. I also don't believe for a fraction of a second, that even half of the people (dozens on this site alone) who called it a 'failure', 'garbage', 'Worthless', all have the absurd life of luxury that lets them waste 50 hrs of their life on something they genuinely loath, instead of doing something fun or productive. If they are, then they don't really belong chiming in on a discussion with us sane people.

...Did you just say that people with nothing better to do with their time than to play through games so they can complain about them shouldn't be discussing video games on the internet?

Tanakh:

Warachia:
-snip-

So, i am wrong and are unacceptable and he is right because in your opinion saying that she would like videogames to have a gameplay skip button is better represented by:

"I prefer story to gameplay."

rather than by:

"I prefer that videogames have no gameplay"

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Except it does. Here, I'll break it down further for you, saying that you prefer gameplay to story implies that you understand both need to be in there even if it isn't your thing (the gist of what she said), saying that you prefer videogames that have no gameplay implies that you have no idea why the gameplay is there in the first place and think that there shouldn't be any gameplay (exactly what she didn't say or mean), and don't try to pull out some bullshit by saying that your phrasing of the words was interpreted wrong, you need to think about what you are saying from several angles before typing the cliffnotes of what somebody said, otherwise the meaning becomes twisted.

Imp Emissary:

Harker067:
These snotty little entitled brats disgust me I can only hope this is just a phase and they grow the fuck up.

People don't "grow up", they just learn how to "act" in public. Also there's a funny thing about communicating on the internet. You can be in "public" online without anyone actually seeing you and there are hardly ever any serious consequences if you are inappropriate.

Your discretion of them is quite true, but as for your hopes for them to become better with time......Well don't hold your breath, or do. No I'm not trying to be mean! You won't die if you hold your breath. You'll just pass out and start to breathe involuntarily. Or not.

You're never too old to grow up and change for the better and I try to be hopeful about these things.

Ayjona:

Brad Shepard:
I really couldn't care less, I get told to GTFO, im not going to read his post, simple as that.

Except he told you to GTFO towards the END of his post...

Andronicus:
See what I did there?

This user made some good points. I'm not quite sure why he received an infraction, unless the Escapist moderators did not read his post thoroughly.

I called him a troll. Course, I doubt he would have even read any of my post had I not included a "tl;dr" anyway (he didn't strike me as the sort of person to read detailed literary breakdowns) but it doesn't matter. I apologised anyway, because I broke the rules.

Besides, I too lead the discussion in a direction away from the relevant topic/s, so I guess I'm no better than he; I just used longer words.

Harker067:

Imp Emissary:

Harker067:

You're never too old to grow up and change for the better and I try to be hopeful about these things.

I greatly envy your heart, and your optimism. I personally am a positive pessimist, so I do hope that you are right, and that I am very wrong.

Andy Chalk:
snip

wait, so Flynn isn't going to get in trouble for his comment, really? smh

What?
What kind of people call a good writer the cancer that's killing Bioware?

What's making more recent Bioware games suck is their focus on gameplay over story.
Dragon Age 2 anyone?
How 'bout that Mass Effect 3 demo?

Do you want more banal shit with action oriented gameplay or do you want something that might actually be worth experiencing?

chiefohara:

Im going to buy one of Hepler's books, i don't care whether its good or not, buying her book is the biggest FU i can give to all the mindless little scumbags who felt they had the right to harass her because they didn't like a fucking computer game.

Anyone else who is disgusted by this mindless drivel that people are spewing at her. Feel free to do the same thing.

Do you mindlessly buy products with Bobby Koticks seal on them as well? Or do you think he is nothing but 'mindless drivel'?

The Rascal King:
All of this frustration, anger, misogyny, homophobia, and disrespect is stemming from a comment about mostly not liking video games? I find this entire situation psychologically fascinating. Anyone else think so?

It's fascinating on a psychological level, yes, but on a sociological level, I find it both terrifying and tragic.

Dunno how I never heard about this stuff before, but I hadn't, so at first, I, like many of the flamers, stared with my mouth agape at the things Hepler said.

And then I saw the "5 Years ago" proviso, and promptly put my torch back into the closet.

Now, honestly, if her opinion has gone completely unchanged in all those five years, then I have to say she's at least deserving of a small percentage of the hate directed at her, maybe about 2-4% of it, 5 at the absolute max. Seriously, claiming she hates violence, but works in an industry that sells it more than Music sells Sex seems mighty hypocritical of her, and claiming that Maps and Inventories make it difficult to play games...I seriously have to wonder what games she was playing. Her comments were very stupid, IMO bordering on the level that certain SOPA advocates were touting "proudly" during debates (the whole "I'm not a nerd" crap). However, if she can at least prove that SOME of those opinions have changed in the last five years, then I have no further beef with this woman and will wish her well with her career.

/twocents

Andy Chalk:

maddawg IAJI:
You're representing a business and if you're gonna throw a hissy fit like that as soon as someone insults you, you should be fired ASAP, especially if you're gonna start PR nightmares like Flynn did.

I disagree and fortunately, so does BioWare. Some people - like the people who started all this - deserve nothing more than a casual "fuck you" and perhaps a ban from whatever forum they've infested. "The customer is always right" is a lie; sometimes the customer is a piece of shit and needs to be told about it.

At the risk of getting a warning, given your status, am I to assume that that attitude that you uphold is supported by the rest of the Escapist employees? I truly hope that is not the case, and that you/your company are more professional than that.

I am just confused? What is wrong with a game writer skipping to the interesting bits of story and dialogue. The are not game designers and the mechanics are not what the are responsible for. It's like people complaining when a sculptor goes to the art gallery and skips all the paintings. Yes they are an artist but they are studying their field of art and not all of them.

xXxJessicaxXx:
I look at this thread and how most people are defending her then I cruise on over to the 'GIRL' initiative thread and how most people are complaining about women specifically being encouraged to get into the industry

and it makes me shake my head. How can you not see the connection...

I think its insulting to women to compare this lady to all women wanting to be in the field of video games. If anything, women like Amy Hennig, and Mary DeMarle are women that should be thought of. Not Miss Hepler .

Volf:

Andy Chalk:

maddawg IAJI:
You're representing a business and if you're gonna throw a hissy fit like that as soon as someone insults you, you should be fired ASAP, especially if you're gonna start PR nightmares like Flynn did.

I disagree and fortunately, so does BioWare. Some people - like the people who started all this - deserve nothing more than a casual "fuck you" and perhaps a ban from whatever forum they've infested. "The customer is always right" is a lie; sometimes the customer is a piece of shit and needs to be told about it.

At the risk of getting a warning, given your status, am I to assume that that attitude that you uphold is supported by the rest of the Escapist employees? I truly hope that is not the case, and that you/your company are more professional than that.

To be honest I think he's just over reacting due to forum blindness now. You know, that special tunnel vision you get when you spend too long in one thread, and are so flat out determined you're right that everyone else must be wrong.

Heck, he's being aggressive to people who agree with him because they don't agree strongly enough.

Just treat it like a raging hamster. Close the cage, and come back when it's hungry.

beniki:

Volf:

Andy Chalk:

To be honest I think he's just over reacting due to forum blindness now. You know, that special tunnel vision you get when you spend too long in one thread, and are so flat out determined you're right that everyone else must be wrong.

Heck, he's being aggressive to people who agree with him because they don't agree strongly enough.

Just treat it like a raging hamster. Close the cage, and come back when it's hungry.

I'm sorry but that is not acceptable, I come to this site expecting a fair amount of professionalism and for the most part, the Escapist staff have not disappointed. However, seeing how Mr. Chalk is engaging the thread for this article, I'm a little taken back by his conduct. It really is unbecoming of him to act so hostile, especially with his comments to SmashLovesTitanQuest. SmashLovesTitanQuest may be antagonizing Mr. Chalk, but as an contributor to the Escapist, it is a clear lack of professionalism on Mr. Chalk's part.

Volf:

Andy Chalk:

maddawg IAJI:

This. The relationship between Bioware and hardcore PC RPG fans has been contentious for awhile now, driven in large part by totally unprofessional conduct on the part of Bioware and its employees. Bioware's fans were dismayed by Dragon Age, a series that went back to the roots of Bioware RPGs, shifting to have consoles as the series' primary platform. How does Bioware respond to that concern? By stamping out any criticism (well articulated or otherwise) on their forums, to the point where writer Stanley Woo's "End of the Line" comment upon locking threads became a meme in its own right. Hepler's comment in particular is seen as an affront, but is not alone (the infamous "When you push a button, something awesome happens." comes to mind).

Fast forward to now. The anti-Hepler (really anti-Bioware) sentiment that has been stewing in the recesses of the internet for years (no, Escapist, Reddit is not the entire internet) gets revived. How does Hepler respond? With that wonderful stereotype that all gamers are virgins. And then Bioware's GM calls someone a "fucking moron". Great PR, guys.

The moral of the story is: if you don't acknowledge criticism, it doesn't go away. It stews and eventually becomes something vile. But once it gets to that point, don't stoop to that level. You will lose whatever moral high ground you once held. I find it hard to believe anyone is defending Hepler after her comments.

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

If someone outside the industry, or a man, made a comment like that, gamers and the gaming press alike would destroy them. Instead, everyone is tripping over each other to defend yet another Bioware employee giving the middle finger to their fans.

I'm done with Bioware. Count me out for Mass Effect 3. I can't support a company that shows such utter contempt for its customers.

Volf:

beniki:

Volf:

I'm sorry but that is not acceptable, I come to this site expecting a fair amount of professionalism and for the most part, the Escapist staff have not disappointed. However, seeing how Mr. Chalk is engaging the thread for this article, I'm a little taken back by his conduct. It really is unbecoming of him to act so hostile, especially with his comments to SmashLovesTitanQuest. SmashLovesTitanQuest may be antagonizing Mr. Chalk, but as an contributor to the Escapist, it is a clear lack of professionalism on Mr. Chalk's part.

We all fall prey to forum blindness at some point. Time for me to leave this thread... discussion value is pretty much all worn out.

*closes cage*

Wonder if I can some hamster food at the super market...

beniki:

Volf:

beniki:

We all fall prey to forum blindness at some point. Time for me to leave this thread... discussion value is pretty much all worn out.

*closes cage*

Wonder if I can some hamster food at the super market...

True, but as I mentioned before, there is a level of professionalism that Mr. Chalk is held up to as a staff member of this site, and from what I've just been reading, he is taking this far too personal.

as long as she doesnt so much as touch the main gameplay pevelopment and sticks to the story i guess im fine with it but saying you hate games is an outright stupid and absolutely terrible thing to do when you work for a game company

Sober Thal:

chiefohara:

Do you mindlessly buy products with Bobby Koticks seal on them as well? Or do you think he is nothing but 'mindless drivel'?

1) Bobby kotick is connected to this how? He is with activison, this thread is predominantly about EA and Bioware.

2) the only person getting a cut of the profits from her book is hepler and her publisher, bioware and EA have nothing to do with it.

3) thank you for posting, you have set yourself up as a particularly stupid example of the type of mindless drivel i am rebelling against.

4) The fact that you are petty enough to be annoyed with my purchase has only made me all the more pleased with it ;-)

chiefohara:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You accuse others of being mindless and then proceed to talk about how you will mindlessly purchase her book to stick it to some anons on the internet.

Yeah that is you.

While I generally try to avoid these things, it was hard not to catch a whiff of intense, unjustified hatred aimed at this woman. And those entitled pricks get to be called gamers.
I don't really know (or care enough to check) what parts of Dragon Age she wrote (although I hear she's a terrible writer), or how idiotic her personal opinions are NOTHING gives you the right me verbally abuse someone. But It'd be naive to expect anything resembling civilized behavior or (god forbid) constructive criticism from fanboys and trolls. Internet needs someone new to hate every week.

so a storywriter doesnt like games (i would assume she likes books isntead, as seeing she writes them) and everyones angry about it. so are you going to threaten your randpaderents for not playing some gorefest too? then again her public statements really put her into the lowest level.

The_root_of_all_evil:
You know what I wouldn't do?

Walk into the middle of the Harry Potter fandom and say "So, Harry Potter's gay then?"

So why are you even surprised that when you poke the internet, it releases the hate machine?

It's the internet. Lots of other people have had far more abuse. Rebecca Black for one, Charlie Brooker for another; wanna guess how many death threats Piers Morgan gets daily?

Is it right? No. Does responding to it increase the problem? Oh hell yes.

Charlie Brooker actually was asked about the internet hate he received after a poorly timed joke about George Bush, where he signed off on a piece for the Guardian with "The last line from the piece had said: "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley, Jr-Where are you now that we need you?"

For that he received a tidal wave of death threats from Americans, stating that he'd be arrested or shot if he ever set foot in the US, that he should never feel safe again, we'll get you eventually, etc, etc.

However, his attitude, having visited the US a few times since then is that America's a bloody nice place, and thoroughly welcoming to Brits, it's just that people are generally dicks when they're online, wherever they're from. As far as I know he's still not been shot at, either.

In short, I think as hurtful as the internet can be, it can help to remember that you're just reading the unrestrained hate of people, and if you actually met them they'd find it hard to even say 'I think you're a bit silly, actually' to your face, never mind the tirade of violent attacks they posted under a youtube video or wherever.

Volf:

xXxJessicaxXx:
I look at this thread and how most people are defending her then I cruise on over to the 'GIRL' initiative thread and how most people are complaining about women specifically being encouraged to get into the industry

and it makes me shake my head. How can you not see the connection...

I think its insulting to women to compare this lady to all women wanting to be in the field of video games. If anything, women like Amy Hennig, and Mary DeMarle are women that should be thought of. Not Miss Hepler .

There's nothing wrong with her as far as I can see, she is just a writer who doesn't play games as a hobby.

Not exactly a crime against humanity.

Utterly disgusting, these stories make me ashamed to be part of the gaming community. I've always liked to see gamers as people who enjoy said hobby, but lately it's become such an elitist culture that focuses more on negativity it makes me sick.

Bioware have a writer who doesn't like video games, so? Isn't it a good thing to see non gamers seeing the potential in the medium?

Gaming is such a flexible and vast industry, it really baffles me when people throw stupid, childish tantrums and bully people like this because they don't like the fact games only do things the way they want them to do them. Bioware have given alot of choices to cater for both and yet people throw a tantrum because they feel they should be excluded?

Seriously, people like this need to grow the fuck up and maybe get a girlfriend.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here