BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Brad Shepard:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

Wow, there were so many things wrong with that sentence. A series that started off by advertising lesbian sex and it's a bad move that they appeal to women who like guy on guy action...the Hell?

OT: The guy is getting flamed like Hell...I don't really feel sorry for him.

PureIrony:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Walk into the middle of the Harry Potter fandom and say "So, Harry Potter's gay then?"

Is it right? No. Does responding to it increase the problem? Oh hell yes.

No, you would do that to Dumbledore.

Joking aside, this isn't about stopping people from posting bullshit. Bioware sure as hell don't have the kind of divine influence to do that. It was about making a statement:they don't think this kind of shit is okay, and they are going to stand by their writers. I think it had more to do with helping Hepler then anything else.

My concern is that this sort of thing happens every day, but it's only Hepler that we hear about. That smacks more of a press release than anything else.

There have been a lot of quotes attributed to her over the years, and the whole idea that the picture - her interview - and all her collected "quotes" were gathered together seems mightily suspect; as if this was orchestrated.

By who? No clue. But I've seen a lot of 'net rage in my time, and this whole situation smells bad to me. Maybe it's just catching the trolls at their worst, but if you are "living the dream", it doesn't make sense to slag off the dreamers - even in their own minds.

See what happened when Kotick said that he did play games? Same reaction.

But, a 5 year old interview pops up at the same time as she opens a Twitter account? Consider me skeptical.

Bossman has done the right thing for her - and the rage against her is exactly what you'd expect from anyone who's spawn camped in any FPS - but something about it feels very wrong.

Ya know I had forgotten that she was the one who said she didn't like playing videogames. I thought this was all about DA2 and gay Mass Effect being "forced" on the players. But the internet never forgets.

Certainly not defending the commenters, but I think software devs need thicker skin, too. Internet trolling comes with the territory. This showy "anti-bullying" crap is a bit eyerolling, IMO.

Love Mass Effect series so at the end of the day, whatevs.

I don't much like her writing either, but holy fuck, this whole thing is just stupid. This isn't even taking into account all of the sexist shit that was hurled her way, which was most of the insults.

And for the record, I think we should have a "fast forward through gameplay" feature as well. Especially for Bioware games. Since the gameplay in most of Bioware's games is shit and/or boring as hell.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Charlie Brooker for another;

Just out of curiosity when has he been critisised? Apart from by other TV shows he mocked on screenwipe.

wanna guess how many death threats Piers Moron gets daily?

Fixed your typo for you.

The_root_of_all_evil:

PureIrony:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Walk into the middle of the Harry Potter fandom and say "So, Harry Potter's gay then?"

Joking aside, this isn't about stopping people from posting bullshit. Bioware sure as hell don't have the kind of divine influence to do that. It was about making a statement:they don't think this kind of shit is okay, and they are going to stand by their writers. I think it had more to do with helping Hepler then anything else.

My concern is that this sort of thing happens every day, but it's only Hepler that we hear about. That smacks more of a press release than anything else.

There have been a lot of quotes attributed to her over the years, and the whole idea that the picture - her interview - and all her collected "quotes" were gathered together seems mightily suspect; as if this was orchestrated.

By who? No clue. But I've seen a lot of 'net rage in my time, and this whole situation smells bad to me. Maybe it's just catching the trolls at their worst, but if you are "living the dream", it doesn't make sense to slag off the dreamers - even in their own minds.

But, a 5 year old interview pops up at the same time as she opens a Twitter account? Consider me skeptical.

Bossman has done the right thing for her - and the rage against her is exactly what you'd expect from anyone who's spawn camped in any FPS - but something about it feels very wrong.

Interesting theory. I' do believe that's just a coincidence, and Occam's Razor affirms this, but...interesting nonetheless.

But I have to disagree about the whole "this happens every day" thing. People may hate on Bioware every day, but they were getting personal with a lot of these attacks. And even if this was a regular occurrence, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to answer them. Just because you can't stop the hate machine doesn't make it a good thing to stop trying to.

Axolotl:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Just out of curiosity when has he been critisised? Apart from by other TV shows he mocked on screenwipe.

Read his Twitter feed some time. In fact, read any celeb's Twitter feed. Moffat considers he's succeeded if he only get two death threats an episode. Charlie had someone promise to shoot him if he ever came to America after a joke about Bush.

Fixed your typo for you.

I don't think that's very fair to proper Morons. They have some self-respect, you know.

I don't really take issue with her statement to be honest. She's a lead storywriter, not a game designer. BioWare have plently of talented people to make a good game with good gameplay with the story wrapped snuggly around it.

Though I will admit that I laughed retardedly at "Hamburger Helper."

PureIrony:

Interesting theory. I' do believe that's just a coincidence, and Occam's Razor affirms this, but...interesting nonetheless.

Well, there's three ways I can see it happening:

a) This is a targetted attack against Hepler by someone with a grudge.
b) This is an EA press stunt. (Tell me that you can't completely ignore that chance)
c) This is pure coincidence - by which it shouldn't be taken as anything other than the worst side of the 'net.

But I have to disagree about the whole "this happens every day" thing. People may hate on Bioware every day, but they were getting personal with a lot of these attacks.

Like I say, read any celeb's Twitter. Ask a ginger person how often they get a catcall. Click on a random YouTube and read 5 comments down.

And even if this was a regular occurrence, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to answer them. Just because you can't stop the hate machine doesn't make it a good thing to stop trying to.

But they're not, are they? They're just saying "This is terrible - Have some money Affected Charity".

No-one's doing anything to stop the machine. Because the machine is the same one that is going to buy the game as soon as it comes out, just so they can tell the internet how much they hate it.

Why kill the beast that you live off?

The_root_of_all_evil:

PureIrony:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Did she make that statement about them being jealous "because she has a vagina AND a games industry job" before or after she set-up that twitter account? Because what most people would remember about her is that she didn't even like playing games. Combine the two and you're really inviting abuse. Besides like I said, that interview never really went away.

Irridium:
I don't much like her writing either, but holy fuck, this whole thing is just stupid. This isn't even taking into account all of the sexist shit that was hurled her way, which was most of the insults.

And for the record, I think we should have a "fast forward through gameplay" feature as well. Especially for Bioware games. Since the gameplay in most of Bioware's games is shit and/or boring as hell.

Those are called movies.
or at best "interactive storytelling experience"

The_root_of_all_evil:
You know what I wouldn't do?

This so much.

It's like watching Star Wars and George Lucas shows up and gives you a lecture on how you would enjoy the movie even more if he changed some bits.

And he wouldn't shut up during the entire screening. EDIT: and then calling you a virgin nerd when people in the theater start booing.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Axolotl:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Read his Twitter feed some time. In fact, read any celeb's Twitter feed. Moffat considers he's succeeded if he only get two death threats an episode. Charlie had someone promise to shoot him if he ever came to America after a joke about Bush.

Well, I didn't klnow that. Chalk up one more reason never to use twitter I guess.

Fixed your typo for you.

I don't think that's very fair to proper Morons. They have some self-respect, you know.

You're right I shouldn't have said it. I blame the professional troll Ian Hislop, he set me up to it.

Axolotl:
Well, I didn't klnow that. Chalk up one more reason never to use twitter I guess.

It's no different to Bookface and you've seen their wall of shames on the Tsunami and the like.

And hell, have a think what Lady Gaga has been through, or Britney Spears...

Or Chris Crocker...

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:

ZeroMachine:

What parts? She wrote most of the Dwarven stuff, which was all fantastic, IMO.

Not to mention, as so many people like to disregard, she has NOTHING to do with Mass Effect.

never said she did.

Ok, fair enough. Mind answering my other question?

and that was?

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

Wow, there were so many things wrong with that sentence. A series that started off by advertising lesbian sex and it's a bad move that they appeal to women who like guy on guy action...the Hell?

do you people even read? I said MALE.

Brad Shepard:

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:

Did you read my post? I flat out stated that ME started by advertising lesbian sex, and now they're appealing to women by adding guy on guy action. (Yes girls like that, it's what girl on girl is to us)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YaoiFangirl

Check the real life folder.

So what are you trying to say? Girl on girl is fine in ME but guy on guy is going too far? Word that in a way that actually makes sense please.

DVS BSTrD:
Those are called movies.

So? If that's how some people want to play, why shouldn't they have the option to do that? Nobody is forcing anyone to skip anything. But I see no reason why we can't have options to do it if we want.

Maybe I want to skip a battle or two. Having the option to do that would be great.

Or, in Origin's case, maybe I want to skip the Deep Roads. God damn the Deep Roads...

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:

erttheking:

Did you read my post? I flat out stated that ME started by advertising lesbian sex, and now they're appealing to women by adding guy on guy action. (Yes girls like that, it's what girl on girl is to us)

So what are you trying to say? Girl on girl is fine in ME but guy on guy is going too far? Word that in a way that actually makes sense please.

What im saying is that has been in there sense game one, and im fine with that, but Male Shepard has had no homosexual options for the first two games, it feels shoehorned in.

The_root_of_all_evil:

b) This is an EA press stunt. (Tell me that you can't completely ignore that chance)

I doubt it. I really, really doubt it.
I don't know what EA did to make people think they're some kind of fucking supervillain (and yes, I do know what they're marketing teams have done in the past) but that's insane. This worked a little too well to be thought up their marketers, and even then, they'd have to keep Bioware in the dark about it, which would really retarded on their part.
And also, this isn't the kind of retarded that EA marketing plans usually embody. What they do is usually pandering in an insulting way. What you're suggesting would just be plain malevolent.

The rest of your post, I do have to concede to. This kind of thing does happen often, though its easy to lose perspective because we don't normally single out just 1 person; we normally demonize a publisher or developer.

Brad Shepard:

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:

What im saying is that has been in there sense game one, and im fine with that, but Male Shepard has had no homosexual options for the first two games, it feels shoehorned in.

Really? Funny, I seem to recall that romancing Tali with a Femshep was impossible in the second game but now is possible in the first game. So is that shoehorned in? And can you remind me why adding things to a game is bad? Do you just want something to stay the same forever? Also it was aliens only, which was cheating.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiscountLesbians

By the way, you do know that it was originally going to be possible to romance Kaiden and Ashley in the first game right?

PureIrony:

The_root_of_all_evil:

... What you're suggesting would just be plain malevolent.

But you're not saying no, are you?

I think that says it all.

Hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned. Seriously, for those who feel like Bioware has lost their way: don't blame the creative teams, they're not out to destroy all that you hold dear.

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:

erttheking:

Really? Funny, I seem to recall that romancing Tali with a Femshep was impossible in the second game but now is possible in the first game. So is that shoehorned in? And can you remind me why adding things to a game is bad? Do you just want something to stay the same forever? Also it was aliens only, which was cheating.

By the way, you do know that it was originally going to be possible to romance Kaiden and Ashley in the first game right?

Ok, lets start this off by saying Tali is only able to be romanced with Male Shepard, 2, Now that im thinking about it, Is it a homosexual relationship with an alien of an asexual race? and 3, it did not make it in, so its non canon.

Also: Twitter is the new /b/. Didn't you guys get the memo?

The_root_of_all_evil:

PureIrony:

The_root_of_all_evil:

... What you're suggesting would just be plain malevolent.

But you're not saying no, are you?

I think that says it all.

You could also say the whole metal of honor Talaban thing too, theres no way a week or so before release they could change everything from Talaban to "opposition forces" or whatever it was.

Brad Shepard:

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:
never said she did.

and that was?

... Seriously? Read my post. "What parts?" As in, what parts of Dragon Age: Origins did she write that were terrible?

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:

ZeroMachine:

and that was?

... Seriously? Read my post. "What parts?" As in, what parts of Dragon Age: Origins did she write that were terrible?

I was being lazy, and The anvil, i did not feel that was good, It just felt long and dragged out.

Brad Shepard:

erttheking:

Brad Shepard:

Ok, lets start this off by saying Tali is only able to be romanced with Male Shepard, 2, Now that im thinking about it, Is it a homosexual relationship with an alien of an asexual race? and 3, it did not make it in, so its non canon.

Yes, in the second game, in the third game it has been confirmed that a Femshep can woo her. Also, it means that they wanted it to be a part of the original game, of course they would work it in when they got the chance. Also what's the big deal? This is one of those things that you have to hunt for, they're not shoving it down your throat. You don't like it? Well...it wasn't for you.

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip

This is not a press stunt by EA.
Have you ever heard of or visited a place called /v/?

Right now they are gloating at success if you catch my meaning. As I said, I watched this happen.

Knight Templar:

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip

Right now they are gloating at success if you catch my meaning. As I said, I watched this happen.

I'm aware of /v/. I'm just saying that it was feasible.

If she's an enemy of the Vidya though, that's quite weak by their standards. I'd expect them to go after Chris-chan or Jeff Gerstmann first.

Irridium:

DVS BSTrD:
Those are called movies.

So? If that's how some people want to play, why shouldn't they have the option to do that? Nobody is forcing anyone to skip anything. But I see no reason why we can't have options to do it if we want.

Maybe I want to skip a battle or two. Having the option to do that would be great.

Or, in Origin's case, maybe I want to skip the Deep Roads. God damn the Deep Roads...

But that's just it! That ISN'T playing!
Besides do you really want to give the developers another excuse to neglect combat? Or gamers to be lazy?
You VIL unlock ze Deep Roads
You VIL purge Zem of ze Dark Spawn impurity
Make way for ze glorious Reserection of ze Dwarven Empire!
UNT you will like it Grey Warden!

But what if she's not talented after all?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Knight Templar:

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip

I'm aware of /v/. I'm just saying that it was feasible.

If she's an enemy of the Vidya though, that's quite weak by their standards.

Well it's just one step up from the hate threads they constantly have running.

I'd expect them to go after Chris-chan or Jeff Gerstmann first.

I don't pay attention to that first fellow, last I heard they were celebrating him becoming a wizard, or something along those lines.

As much as I don't consider the bullying of anyone on the internet a good thing, I wish Bioware could cut the crap a bit on the whole "same sex/relationship" storyline catering that should be waaay secondary in the development of a game, and focus more on their gameplay. As far as Ms. Hepler goes...well I do think that she worked on the DA2 franchise and some really sub par SW:TOR dialogue, so sadly could not really care less about her influence in bioware, as I'm hoping it's not too much.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here