BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Ayjona:
I must ask, since I'm not certain I understand the string of events clearly (though, probably, I just do not want to believe this of people): this woman is under attack from groups of people merely because she does not share their choice of hobby? Or did I miss out on something she said or did that might have provoked this pathetic spectacle?

(The fact that she is a writer at Bioware is less consequential than some might think. Bringing in non-gaming writers in game development is actually an old trend, and one that is often said to improve the quality of the writing. Personally, I find the fact that she writes for the love of writing rather than the love of gaming to be a good thing, and a possible indication of quality. A game writer that wrote solely for the love of gaming, without any passion for narration, written drama and textual work in general, is not one I'd trust to bring a good story to the gaming screen.)

Nope that is the whole story. Its is basically the Internet yelling "STOP NOT LIKING WHAT WE LIKE (insert appropriate derogatory insult). YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON SO STOP EXISTING."

Thats it. Some gamers needed a new target to hate on so they attacked her. This is because us gamers contain the biggest, self entitled whiners on the Internet. I don't know any other community that feels as self entitled as gamers, and it makes me sad to see this. It slowly kills my hope in humanity. To be honest there is no reason to hate her just because she doesn't like video games. I don't hate people because they don't like tomatoes and I do.

I kinda want to remind some things:

Mrs Hepler is not really talented in her domain: she wrote the abysmal M.I.T.H (http://www.amazon.com/M-I-T-H-Operation-Jennifer-Brandes-Hepler/dp/1582405158/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329868011&sr=1-5) which had a scenario who made Armaggedon look like Catcher in the Rye, and which only highlight was the two male characters having buttsex at one moment.

I think the general hate directed towards her is not only because of her statement of being dispationate towards her medium, but also because she's kinda hold as a key writer in the bioware team for some reason...and can't really write that good it seems.

Turbobutts:
But what if she's not talented after all?

Maybe she's not, but that doesn't make it ok for people to call her slut, whore, pig, etc. People in this thread have found ways to comment on her work, and BioWare in general, without resorting to name calling, so clearly it's possible to express a negative opinion without being a bully.

I've not read her books, but I enjoyed DA just fine, for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/#!/LukeParr/status/171422782389891072 .....I hate people. _

I haven't read her books but I liked DA: Origins story very much. She got so much shit for nothing, ugh...

Soviet Heavy:
You seem to have missed the part where she fanned the flames by retorting to her detractors. Honestly, this is a situation where I just hate everyone involved. Responding to torrents of bile with the phrase "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." is just asking for trouble.

I'm sorry but thats a hot retort

darlarosa:

Soviet Heavy:
You seem to have missed the part where she fanned the flames by retorting to her detractors. Honestly, this is a situation where I just hate everyone involved. Responding to torrents of bile with the phrase "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." is just asking for trouble.

I'm sorry but thats a hot retort

Even if it is, she should have known that it would only make them more aggressive. When one person tries to use a mob's tactics against them, that one person is going to be creamed.

Andronicus:

Brad Shepard:

ZeroMachine:

What parts? She wrote most of the Dwarven stuff, which was all fantastic, IMO.

Not to mention, as so many people like to disregard, she has NOTHING to do with Mass Effect.

never said she did.

This person is someone who posts on forums with content concerning their own opinions in current affairs. It is often theorised by social commentators that people who post forums with content concerning their own opinions in current affairs are moronic, homosexual twats.

See what I did there? It might look like I just called you a moronic, homosexual twat, but in actual fact, what I wrote were two completely unrelated sentences (the accuracy of the second notwithstanding). Still, because both sentences featured a similar "linking" theme (ie. people who post on forums with content regarding their own opinions in current affairs), there is an implication that I called you a moronic, homosexual twat.

For another example of this literary phenomenon, I shall draw your attention to the author's original statement. First of all, it is one single, long sentence, but can be split into two, which feature seemingly-related topics.

The first,

"I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O..."

draws attention initially to the author's opinions regarding [Hepler's] writing in EA games, specifically how "piss poor" it is. Notably, half of the author's opinion is based solely on word-of-mouth reviews of [Hepler's] new book, and thus doesn't even really represent his actual views. Not relevant for the purposes of this analysis, but interesting nonetheless.

The second,

"...and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me"

draws upon the similar theme of the writing in EA's games. Examined closely, it clearly shows no mention of [Hepler's] writing, or suggestion that she was part of the writing team for Mass Effect. However, seeing as it's relationship to the actual topic being discussed (ie. Hepler's writing] is cursory at best, one would question its relevance to the discussion at all. In truth, the answer is none: there is no relevance. However, coupled with the previous statement, regarding [Hepler's] writing, and further exemplified by the linking of the similar underlying theme, ie. writing in EA's games, there is no reason why the reader shouldn't come to the conclusion that the author is of the opinion that [Hepler] is responsible, at least in part, for a very specific aspect of Mass Effect 3's plot, which for unspecified reasons he feels are "off". Thus I have established the presence of an "implication" in the author's writing.

However, after having this implication drawn to his attention, he denies partaking in any such opinion, or so it would appear. Instead, he specifies that he "never said [Hepler had anything to do with Mass Effect 3]" which is, as I have demonstrated above, entirely accurate. Instead of denying that this is his opinion, clarifying his original statement, or showing any indication that he has given the matter more than the most cursory of deliberations, he simply brushes off the accusation with an accurate yet misleading comment.

The fact that the author didn't even attempt to separate the two original sentences throws further suspicion on his supposed obliviousness to the implication he was making. The use of implications in both writing prose and everyday conversation is universal and far-reaching, and thus I surmise that the author is suitably familiar with the concept, enough to know exactly what he is implying, and is therefore being purposefully obtuse and inflammatory, with the intention of "trolling", disguised as a (poor) attempt at simply appearing critical.

tl;dr: GTFO troll.

I have my own opinion, so i must be a troll, classy.

Been following this for the better part of the evening, and the tears are delicious.

Brad Shepard:

Did you read the post?
That wasn't his point.

Brad Shepard:

Andronicus:

Brad Shepard:
never said she did.

This person is someone who posts on forums with content concerning their own opinions in current affairs. It is often theorised by social commentators that people who post forums with content concerning their own opinions in current affairs are moronic, homosexual twats.

See what I did there? It might look like I just called you a moronic, homosexual twat, but in actual fact, what I wrote were two completely unrelated sentences (the accuracy of the second notwithstanding). Still, because both sentences featured a similar "linking" theme (ie. people who post on forums with content regarding their own opinions in current affairs), there is an implication that I called you a moronic, homosexual twat.

For another example of this literary phenomenon, I shall draw your attention to the author's original statement. First of all, it is one single, long sentence, but can be split into two, which feature seemingly-related topics.

The first,

"I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O..."

draws attention initially to the author's opinions regarding [Hepler's] writing in EA games, specifically how "piss poor" it is. Notably, half of the author's opinion is based solely on word-of-mouth reviews of [Hepler's] new book, and thus doesn't even really represent his actual views. Not relevant for the purposes of this analysis, but interesting nonetheless.

The second,

"...and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me"

draws upon the similar theme of the writing in EA's games. Examined closely, it clearly shows no mention of [Hepler's] writing, or suggestion that she was part of the writing team for Mass Effect. However, seeing as it's relationship to the actual topic being discussed (ie. Hepler's writing] is cursory at best, one would question its relevance to the discussion at all. In truth, the answer is none: there is no relevance. However, coupled with the previous statement, regarding [Hepler's] writing, and further exemplified by the linking of the similar underlying theme, ie. writing in EA's games, there is no reason why the reader shouldn't come to the conclusion that the author is of the opinion that [Hepler] is responsible, at least in part, for a very specific aspect of Mass Effect 3's plot, which for unspecified reasons he feels are "off". Thus I have established the presence of an "implication" in the author's writing.

However, after having this implication drawn to his attention, he denies partaking in any such opinion, or so it would appear. Instead, he specifies that he "never said [Hepler had anything to do with Mass Effect 3]" which is, as I have demonstrated above, entirely accurate. Instead of denying that this is his opinion, clarifying his original statement, or showing any indication that he has given the matter more than the most cursory of deliberations, he simply brushes off the accusation with an accurate yet misleading comment.

The fact that the author didn't even attempt to separate the two original sentences throws further suspicion on his supposed obliviousness to the implication he was making. The use of implications in both writing prose and everyday conversation is universal and far-reaching, and thus I surmise that the author is suitably familiar with the concept, enough to know exactly what he is implying, and is therefore being purposefully obtuse and inflammatory, with the intention of "trolling", disguised as a (poor) attempt at simply appearing critical.

Whether you were trolling or not (I don't believe you were) you have to admit, that guy can analyze a sentence like a boss.

Oh, and re: what you didn't like about DA:O, fair enough. I disagree, but hey, opinions are opinions.

Knight Templar:

Brad Shepard:

Did you read the post?
That wasn't his point.

I really couldn't care less, I get told to GTFO, im not going to read his post, simple as that.

As crazy as I think it is to work in the industry and not like playing games, I don't think that warrents hatred when that hatred could just as easily be directed at, say, Rick Santorum for being a homophobic fundimentalist tosspot.

Brad Shepard:

Knight Templar:

Brad Shepard:

Did you read the post?
That wasn't his point.

I really couldn't care less, I get told to GTFO, im not going to read his post, simple as that.

That was a big mistake, since now you really do look like a troll. If you don't read the post don't respond next time, save yourself the trouble.

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:

Andronicus:

The first, draws attention initially to the author's opinions regarding [Hepler's] writing in EA games, specifically how "piss poor" it is. Notably, half of the author's opinion is based solely on word-of-mouth reviews of [Hepler's] new book, and thus doesn't even really represent his actual views. Not relevant for the purposes of this analysis, but interesting nonetheless.

The second, draws upon the similar theme of the writing in EA's games. Examined closely, it clearly shows no mention of [Hepler's] writing, or suggestion that she was part of the writing team for Mass Effect. However, seeing as it's relationship to the actual topic being discussed (ie. Hepler's writing] is cursory at best, one would question its relevance to the discussion at all. In truth, the answer is none: there is no relevance. However, coupled with the previous statement, regarding [Hepler's] writing, and further exemplified by the linking of the similar underlying theme, ie. writing in EA's games, there is no reason why the reader shouldn't come to the conclusion that the author is of the opinion that [Hepler] is responsible, at least in part, for a very specific aspect of Mass Effect 3's plot, which for unspecified reasons he feels are "off". Thus I have established the presence of an "implication" in the author's writing.

Whether you were trolling or not (I don't believe you were) you have to admit, that guy can analyze a sentence like a boss.

Oh, and re: what you didn't like about DA:O, fair enough. I disagree, but hey, opinions are opinions.

Well, I thank you at least for being respectful about this.

Soviet Heavy:

asking for trouble? yes

its still all kinds of win.

besides, they people are running on the 'i don't like it so it shouldn't exist' header, they don't deserve any kind of respect from any one

Knight Templar:

Brad Shepard:

Knight Templar:

Did you read the post?
That wasn't his point.

That was a big mistake, since now you really do look like a troll. If you don't read the post don't respond next time, save yourself the trouble.

Hilariously awesome as that guy's breakdown of Brad's sentence was, he never did, and doesn't now, look like a troll. If the guy had left the troll accusation out of that explanation, it would have simply been a hilarious explanation of why I thought he said that.

As it stands now, it's equally inflammatory.

I'm not gonna question Helper's ability to write in this thread, I will however question not only her's, but Aaryn Flynn's response to it. Flynn, in defense of her told several people to fuck off and called them 'fucking morons' (He didn't even have the hindsight to delete the tweets.) and Helper believes that the hate stems from jealousy and hate toward her career and vagina for some reason :/ I really wish I was making that up too. I don't care what the fuck anyone does to you. You're representing a business and if you're gonna throw a hissy fit like that as soon as someone insults you, you should be fired ASAP, especially if you're gonna start PR nightmares like Flynn did.

Not only that, but if you're in the entertainment business, regardless of position, isn't one of the key rules to 'think before speaking?' I don't know why she was surprised at the outrage. Gamers getting mad because you believe that skipping the part of the medium that defines it would be best? Who would have guessed! If you don't like the gameplay, you're working for the wrong industry.

It's funny how people can seem to put all of the weight of Bioware's supposed 'downfall' on the shoulders on one or two people. Even if they're complete waste of money due to their terrible work production. That's like holding 2 leeches responsible for a whale's heart failure. (Strange analogy, but I think it works.)

As if there really is really a big decline in Bioware's quality and not just a big group of self entitled fans completely hopeless to satisfy hunger for someone to take out their fustrations on and nostalgia clouded minds.

Macgyvercas:
As crazy as I think it is to work in the industry and not like playing games, I don't think that warrents hatred when that hatred could just as easily be directed at, say, Rick Santorum for being a homophobic fundimentalist tosspot.

I sort of agree with you, but there's a lot of people in the games industry who don't play games at all. Why doesn't the gaming community just flame all of the publishers and other people working inside of the games industry but don't actually play the games? Because you know, alienating our pass time from others will most certainly benefit us in the end.

Busard:
Mrs Hepler is not really talented in her domain

She's good enough to get and keep a job at BioWare, and work on some very high-profile projects. Regardless of what you think of BioWare's recent games, that puts her in some very exclusive company and speaks rather highly of her abilities.

More importantly, it's entirely irrelevant. Disagreeing with her or disliking her work is perfect valid, but calling her horrid names and demanding that she kill herself automatically invalidates any opinion you may hold. The quality of her work has absolutely zero bearing on what's happened to her over the past week.

maddawg IAJI:
You're representing a business and if you're gonna throw a hissy fit like that as soon as someone insults you, you should be fired ASAP, especially if you're gonna start PR nightmares like Flynn did.

I disagree and fortunately, so does BioWare. Some people - like the people who started all this - deserve nothing more than a casual "fuck you" and perhaps a ban from whatever forum they've infested. "The customer is always right" is a lie; sometimes the customer is a piece of shit and needs to be told about it.

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

Not to mention, as so many people like to disregard, she has NOTHING to do with Mass Effect.

But how much did she have to do with the abomination that was DA: II?

GeneralFungi:
It's funny how people can seem to put all of the weight of Bioware's supposed 'downfall' on the shoulders on one or two people. Even if they're complete waste of money due to their terrible work production. That's like holding 2 leeches responsible for a whale's heart failure. (Strange analogy, but I think it works.)

As if there really is really a big decline in Bioware's quality and not just a big group of self entitled fans completely hopeless to satisfy hunger for someone to take out their fustrations on and nostalgia clouded minds.

Macgyvercas:

I sort of agree with you, but there's a lot of people in the games industry who don't play games at all. Why doesn't the gaming community just flame all of the publishers and other people working inside of the games industry but don't actually play the games? Because you know, alienating our pass time from others will most certainly benefit us in the end.

I'm sorry, but what? I don't quite understand your quote (apologies, but it's late and I'm tired). I can only assume you're sarcastically agreeing with me to make some kind of point, but what that point is, I haven't a clue.

If I've completely missed the mark, feel free to flame me, but again, in my defense, I am rather tired and can't think straight at the moment.

Souplex:

ZeroMachine:

Brad Shepard:
I heard about her new book, how piss poor it is, plus she wrote some really bad parts of DA:O and I just have to say this, the fact that they are adding male homosexuality in the last installment of Shepard's story seems very off if you ask me.

All the same, saw the title of this article, had to grab this.

But how much did she have to do with the abomination that was DA: II?

From the DA Wiki:

Hepler wrote Anders, Bethany, Leandra, Elthina, Cullen, and Sebastian Vael. She also wrote most of the Legacy DLC for Dragon Age II.

For the record, I loved Dragon Age 2. Not as much as the first, but I still loved it. And I thought Legacy was amazing.

Macgyvercas:

I'm sorry, but what? I don't quite understand your quote (apologies, but it's late and I'm tired). I can only assume you're sarcastically agreeing with me to make some kind of point, but what that point is, I haven't a clue.

If I've completely missed the mark, feel free to flame me, but again, in my defense, I am rather tired and can't think straight at the moment.

I probably should have used an indent or something.. the sarcasm was intended for the people who are being childish (not you).

Yeah, wouldn't want someone who gives a shit about writing to work on your games? That is just idiotic. I feel for this woman and I can sympathize. It's not a big deal that she doesn't like to play video games. I don't really understand why anyone would attack her for it. Her job isn't to play video games, or to program code, it's to write stories. I give her props for her good work.

For the life of me, I don't understand what the big deal is. She's a *writer*, she doesn't have to like playing video games, as long as she keeps writing great stories for them! I, for one, like her work, and am glad that the higher ups came out and defended her.

Although her "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either" response was pure win, in my book. If it's fanning the flames, then for once, I don't care.

Andy Chalk:

Busard:
Mrs Hepler is not really talented in her domain

She's good enough to get and keep a job at BioWare, and work on some very high-profile projects. Regardless of what you think of BioWare's recent games, that puts her in some very exclusive company and speaks rather highly of her abilities.

More importantly, it's entirely irrelevant. Disagreeing with her or disliking her work is perfect valid, but calling her horrid names and demanding that she kill herself automatically invalidates any opinion you may hold. The quality of her work has absolutely zero bearing on what's happened to her over the past week.

Andy, ever tried posting criticism, well researched, well argued criticism on the bioware forums? It gets a) pulled pretty fast by mods or b) you get shouted down by the people who spend all day there like drones. Yes, the criticism went way too far, but when it's done in the "official" setting of the BW forums, it's not there for long before it's pulled.

Woodsey:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Woodsey:

Huh? Of course he should have. They're a bunch of cunts. It should be highlighted, and as many people as possible should condemn them for it.

I know they are, but he needs to show professionalism.

I fail to see how backing your own member of staff, who has been subjected to an inordinate amount of online abuse, is unprofessional.

That is practically the definition of professionalism.

He's talking about "Whatever, fucking moron."

Which was quite unprofessional, but they've made up for it with this update.

They call this bullying? *facepalm* Fucking really? I understand and support Bioware's decision even though I don't understand - can she not get a writing job somewhere else? I don't even. But insulting (over the internet even) someone is not bullying, dammit. Have you been bullied before? Cry me a river.

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

This too. What the fuck?

Also I want to know if she's responsible for the Anders' part of DA2. That was done really bad. It didn't even feel like Anders off of Awakening - it felt wrong ='(

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Woodsey:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I know they are, but he needs to show professionalism.

I fail to see how backing your own member of staff, who has been subjected to an inordinate amount of online abuse, is unprofessional.

That is practically the definition of professional.

This is like working in customer support. It doesn't matter if a customer is yelling at you and being as obnoxious as possible, you never stoop down to their level. He could have defended her without calling someone a fucking moron.

sadly, the people that are doing this are exactly "fucking morons".

morons that should never be allowed the use of any technology that would allow them to talk to anyone else.

No, these people are fucking morons.

No. people. fucking morons.

it is that simple.

no, again, people are fucking morons.

Taking a five year old article and then going further and fabricating posts? that is fucking stupid.

Person doesn't like playing games, yets writes the STORIES for them?

yea, not that big of a fucking deal, idiots.

The irony of course is that the majority of the hate comes from "her" decision to write in gay subplots

But she isnt a ME wirter! LAWL

Flailing Escapist:
They call this bullying? *facepalm* Fucking really? I understand and support Bioware's decision even though I don't understand - can she not get a writing job somewhere else? I don't even. But insulting (over the internet even) someone is not bullying, dammit. Have you been bullied before? Cry me a river.

Some people are sensitive to words and language more than physical contact or actions involving them. For someone like this, this right here is pretty much their absolute worst nightmare. Kids have COMMITTED SUICIDE over being a common name-calling target, even though they aren't attacked or constantly pranked. Seriously, don't discredit verbal abuse simply because it doesn't bother you or you're used to it. Sympathy, man.

Busard:
I kinda want to remind some things:

Mrs Hepler is not really talented in her domain: she wrote the abysmal M.I.T.H (http://www.amazon.com/M-I-T-H-Operation-Jennifer-Brandes-Hepler/dp/1582405158/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329868011&sr=1-5) which had a scenario who made Armaggedon look like Catcher in the Rye, and which only highlight was the two male characters having buttsex at one moment.

I think the general hate directed towards her is not only because of her statement of being dispationate towards her medium, but also because she's kinda hold as a key writer in the bioware team for some reason...and can't really write that good it seems.

Not a great writer != "WHY HAVEN'T YOU KILLED YOURSELF YOU ****"

Except on the internet, apparently.

ResonanceSD:
ever tried posting criticism, well researched, well argued criticism on the bioware forums? It gets a) pulled pretty fast by mods or b) you get shouted down by the people who spend all day there like drones. Yes, the criticism went way too far, but when it's done in the "official" setting of the BW forums, it's not there for long before it's pulled.

What does this have to do with anything? And it's not "criticism," it's abuse. The inability to tell the difference is one of the most basic problems facing an awful lot of people on the internet.

What! Didn't she write the quest "A Paragon of Her Kind" in DA:O? I loved that quest line. And I quite liked her characterization of Anders in DA:2. Yes, I actually liked DA:2...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here