BioWare Supports Beleaguered Writer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Andy Chalk:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
She actually did a lot of writing to flesh out the background in the Mass Effect universe. She didnt write any of the characters but there are things in Mass Effect 2 that have a big, obvious Hamburger Helper stamp on them.

So she's not credited in Mass Effect, Ray Muzyka says she didn't work in Mass Effect but you see some imaginary "stamp" and that makes you the speaker of truth?

You're going to have to do a little better than that.

And to answer your previous question, yes, there is a way to ignore my posts and I will enjoy imagining your struggles to figure them out.

No, it does not. I have already posted my rather weak source so make of that what you will. I probably am remembering something wrong.

As for ignoring, the ignore button isnt working, so when this discussion is done I will just avoid the news section.

Eh wrong quote right guy oh well

Fair point
I think the best examples of how game play has helped story specifically are still found in survival horror games. Amnesia for example and Ive still haven't played silent hill but my friend tells me that it does something similar.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Andy, what exactly is your job here? I have been wondering this for a while now. Are you meant to report gaming related news in a matter of fact fashion or is this page just an excuse for you to spam a large audience with your own personal (and frankly irrelevant) views? Thats what the comment section is for, not the actual news article.

Im sorry, I just think its rather funny to see you talking about what is and isnt relevant.

(And if the news section of this site is indeed just a place where the people who write the articles do so ignoring a proper, matter of fact approach, then sorry, and continue on. If that is the case I will just stop visiting that section of the site altogether in the future.)

My job here is to encourage people like you to stop visiting.

aftohsix:

KingHodor:
but maybe she did manage to overcome her Yaoi Fangirl Fantasies and write a decent homosexual character for Mass Effect 3. Well, I may never know, thanks to Origin and EA... the latter being, of course, the far biggest tumor in Biowares pancreas.

As has been mentioned in both the original article and several times in this thread she is in no way involved in Mass Effect 3.

Sorry, mea culpa.

I look at this thread and how most people are defending her then I cruise on over to the 'GIRL' initiative thread and how most people are complaining about women specifically being encouraged to get into the industry

and it makes me shake my head. How can you not see the connection...

tzimize:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
As much as those people are fucking morons, he shouldn't have come out and said it. But yeah, it is cute that we want our community to be taken seriously when stuff like this is still happening.

I dont really see why she shouldnt have said it. Shes a writer. I know not all people like games, and I dont need them to. If she was in charge of gameplay on games and didnt like playing games, then we'd have a problem. But shes not. Tbh, I often feel like she does. If a game has a shit story, I often cba to play it. That said I can enjoy pure gameplay experiences too like binding of isaac or super meat boy.

People are just as the always are. Dumb. (for clarity, not referring to you, referring to the internet hate campaign).

That poster is referring to another bioware employee posting from his twitter account that the people attacking hepler were "fucking morons" it was not hepler herself.

Just clarifying, he wasn't talking about her story statement.

In any case, in my opinion its silly to target the writer for any dislike about content put into a game. In the end, its not the writers decision what she writes gets added.

Andy Chalk:

beniki:
But I thought that peoples beef with her was that she didn't like video games, and yet wrote stories for them.

Again, that's not relevant. It doesn't matter what the "beef" is. Disagreeing with her views on the function of gameplay is NOT a license to being a campaign of harassment and abuse. It's just that simple, yet it's a point that a lot of people seem to be missing.

No argument about that... I think it's kind of nonsensical to even debate that point. I think I even said something to that effect. Let me check...

beniki:

That said, she certainly doesn't deserve a hate campaign, since really it's the fault of the person who hired her not being discriminating enough with their staff.

Yeah, right there. I think it's still relevant to the topic though, as that's what caused it. Of course, knee jerk reactions based on not reading all the facts are a waste of every ones time, and can lead to the problem we're talking about.

I just thought it was odd that she was in that position in the first place. Seems kind of weird she would write for a medium she doesn't enjoy.

I'd like to end on another flippant remark about one of the fabricated posts made about her, but I'm afraid that I'm no longer in the mood.

Darkmantle:

tzimize:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
As much as those people are fucking morons, he shouldn't have come out and said it. But yeah, it is cute that we want our community to be taken seriously when stuff like this is still happening.

I dont really see why she shouldnt have said it. Shes a writer. I know not all people like games, and I dont need them to. If she was in charge of gameplay on games and didnt like playing games, then we'd have a problem. But shes not. Tbh, I often feel like she does. If a game has a shit story, I often cba to play it. That said I can enjoy pure gameplay experiences too like binding of isaac or super meat boy.

People are just as the always are. Dumb. (for clarity, not referring to you, referring to the internet hate campaign).

That poster is referring to another bioware employee posting from his twitter account that the people attacking hepler were "fucking morons" it was not hepler herself.

Just clarifying, he wasn't talking about her story statement.

I thought this poster was referring to Helper stating that she didn't like the game play itself rather than the other bio ware employee anyway
Now I'm all confused

All i have to say on the matter is: and people want video games to be taken seriously?

Andy Chalk:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Andy, what exactly is your job here? I have been wondering this for a while now. Are you meant to report gaming related news in a matter of fact fashion or is this page just an excuse for you to spam a large audience with your own personal (and frankly irrelevant) views? Thats what the comment section is for, not the actual news article.

Im sorry, I just think its rather funny to see you talking about what is and isnt relevant.

(And if the news section of this site is indeed just a place where the people who write the articles do so ignoring a proper, matter of fact approach, then sorry, and continue on. If that is the case I will just stop visiting that section of the site altogether in the future.)

Ah yes, taking the whole thing to a personal level. Very classy.

Its a bit of a pity really. The rest of the site is alright, but in my own humble opinion you drag it down a good bit. Attacking ones audience on a personal level instead of addressing their complaints says it all really.

What a charming individual you are.

I'm sure it's already been stated numerous times, but the only cancer killing Bioware are these "fans".

They whine when the company wants to change things up, they whine when the company doesn't change things up, and they're using her as a scapegoat.

Grow the F up, people. This whole things disgusts me.

I wonder, if Bobby Kotick (Roberta?) was a lesbian, would he get more people to defend his 'frowned upon' statements that lead to the same type of hateful internet text that people are suddenly up in arms about?

It's not right to direct the kinds of things being said about her towards anyone, just for the record.

Volothos:
All i have to say on the matter is: and people want video games to be taken seriously?

People that take video games seriously are video gamers. People want other people's acceptance that this is a valid form of entertainment and that they won't go on school shootings. This will perhaps only happen when the people that do try and connect video games with shootings die or find another form new tech to complain about. Video games aren't the real issue at all, people not having to filter their vile comments because there is no real backlash is the real issue here.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Andy Chalk:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Its a bit of a pity really. The rest of the site is alright, but in my own humble opinion you drag it down a good bit. Attacking ones audience on a personal level instead of addressing their complaints says it all really.

Because you know, you didn't start the Ad Hominim attacks with the "what's your job here" post or anything, or your blatant disregard for counter arguments, or your total lack of support evidence other that "I think I read it somewhere". All that was fine I guess,cause yousaid it and that makes it okay.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Andy Chalk:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

It seems understandable to respond on a personal level when being targeted on personal level

The whole reason for this shitstorm is DA2's fake critical reception. People were assured they were getting a 10/10 game, but instead got something that was disappointing at best if they liked DA:O, and a goddamn insult if they ever played RPGs before 2007.

Exactly the same thing happened with SW:TOR. It was obvious from the start it would be another short-lasting mediocrity like WAR, yet it was hailed as the MMO revolution to change MMOs forever because of the EA stamp on it. People looked for an explanation, weren't given one, so they found a scapegoat.

Yes, this event is unfortunate and disgraceful, but it's only a symptom of a dysfunctional and detatched gaming media that keeps testing its audience's patience.

I hope the ad revenue, press packages and invitations are worth it.

What in the fuck is wrong with you, Internet?

The internet is like the bi-polar co-worker we're required to get along with because (s)he's the boss' kid and we don't want to get fired. You do one little thing wrong that in any way conflicts with their ever-changing mood and judgement day is brought down upon thee.

I.Muir:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Andy Chalk:

It seems understandable to respond on a personal level when being targeted on personal level

Where am I attacking him on a personal level? I merely pointed out how bad these articles are, or rather, asked why he found it necessary to include his own personal opinions in them even though they do not belong there.

If you count that as attacking him on a personal level, so be it. But its hard to criticize his work otherwise. Numerous users have pointed this out in the massive number of bias news stories he has posted, and one hardly ever gets a reply. This time, I managed to get one, and it was "We dont want people like you visiting this site!"

My oh my. And then they wonder why the site is in a horrid financial state. (Allegedly, I dont actually know if they are, but it seems to be the case with the whole not paying contributers thing.)

Darkmantle:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Andy Chalk:

Because you know, you didn't start the Ad Hominim attacks with the "what's your job here" post or anything, or your blatant disregard for counter arguments, or your total lack of support evidence other that "I think I read it somewhere". All that was fine I guess,cause yousaid it and that makes it okay.

The one discussion has nothing to do with the other. And as for the relevant part; see above.

I call BS on the whole jennifer helper "games should have a fast forward button" being something that only just exploded in interest the last 2 week, I've been seeing that image+ helper being denounced as one of the signs that bioware is slipping for....Well since Dragon age 2 came out.

Guess bioware only just caught on the hate that was brewing with the jennifer twitter. Nothing they can do besides let the storm blow over and hope the growing anti bioware crusade loses focus and steam.

Edit: Helper didn't exactly help by saying things like "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." though.
That's just the exact kinda crap people would expect her to say based on the popular (negative)image of her. Not to mention rather insulting as I know for a fact the anti helper mob isn't 100% male inclusive.

TitanAura:
What in the fuck is wrong with you, Internet?

The internet is like the bi-polar co-worker we're required to get along with because (s)he's the boss' kid and we don't want to get fired. You do one little thing wrong that in any way conflicts with their ever-changing mood and judgement day is brought down upon thee.

How does one even think about generalizing a medium that combines people across the globe? What the hell?

beniki:
No argument about that... I think it's kind of nonsensical to even debate that point. I think I even said something to that effect. Let me check...

No, it's definitely not debatable, but a surprising and disappointing number of people have offered "yes, but..." responses, as though there's some possible bit of justification for hurling a concentrated stream of abuse at someone because they hold a different opinion about videogames. This is really a very black-and-white situation: it's wrong, it's inexcusable and for anyone who wants to see videogames taken seriously as a mature medium, it's embarrassing.

Frankster:
I call BS on the whole jennifer helper "games should have a fast forward button" being something that only just exploded in interest the last 2 week, I've been seeing that image+ helper being denounced as one of the signs that bioware is slipping for....Well since Dragon age 2 came out.

Guess bioware only just caught on the hate that was brewing with the jennifer twitter. Nothing they can do besides let the storm blow over and hope the growing anti bioware crusade loses focus and steam.

Edit: Helper didn't exactly help by saying things like "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." though.
That's just the exact kinda crap people would expect her to say based on the popular (negative)image of her. Not to mention rather insulting as I know for a fact the anti helper mob isn't 100% male inclusive.

Its obviously a side effect of Bioware games slipping in quality. DAII blows, Hamburger Helper said something stupid, so you can see where that leads.

The whole fast forward thing may well prove to be a nice feature though, since they are implementing it in ME3. Curious to see how that turns out.

Andy Chalk:
No, it's definitely not debatable, but a surprising and disappointing number of people have offered "yes, but..." responses, as though there's some possible bit of justification for hurling a concentrated stream of abuse at someone because they hold a different opinion about videogames. This is really a very black-and-white situation: it's wrong, it's inexcusable and for anyone who wants to see videogames taken seriously as a mature medium, it's embarrassing.

Yep. That is pretty much a pixel-perfect recap. Sad, but very true.

If gamers want gaming to be considered art so bad, why couldn't they have just written a collectively-signed email to Hepler, saying "We disapprove of what you say, but we will defend to the death your right to say it." or something similar?

But hey, as long as we all want to be viewed as immature dillweeds, why not go around shouting "I disapprove of what you say, and now I will act like a 5 yr old & slander and defame you in public with paper-thin justifications!"

I mean, yeah. The way people insulted her, rather than actually criticizing her, is what makes this bad. People on the internet will overreact, and it does not reflect on everyone who has games or even everyone that has a distaste for Hepler. I think Anders and the other characters she has written are generally duller than the other characters in DA:O and DA2. I will say that Varric was well written, but I don't think she wrote him based on what I've read. The writing in ME was better than in DA:O (and that's like, my opinion man) and if I'm pressed to find a good example of well written dialogue in video games my first stop is the ME series.

But she should have had the sense not to say something like she wants to skip gameplay in... video games. Sure, hold whatever opinion you like, but anyone with some sense would know that would be a pretty controversial opinion to hold. There's no reason she needed to say it. It's all well and good that she's a writer and is primarily interested in the narrative elements of Bioware's games, but if she wants a medium where people can enjoy her writing without the need to play the game she should write a book or direct a movie, pure and simple. The cynical portion of me says she would like to strip out what makes a game unique to give greater access to her writing rather than writing a book/movie because the standards for writing in video games are generally lower than they are in a medium that is solely devoted to story telling.

I mean, it's one thing to not consume what you produce because you don't actually like games. No one cares about that I suspect. It's just how arrogant such a statement comes across to me. Games are games because they have game elements? To hell with that, I'm trying to tell a story here and will gladly try to break the medium rather than find one that is more appropriate to accommodate my needs. It's the equivalent of an American going in to a foreign film about a heavy social/philosophical issue and saying it wasn't bad, but it'd be better if they spoke English, Mark Wahlberg was the lead and there were more explosions. At that point, I should probably just find a different movie to watch.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I.Muir:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Where am I attacking him on a personal level? I merely pointed out how bad these articles are, or rather, asked why he found it necessary to include his own personal opinions in them even though they do not belong there.

If you count that as attacking him on a personal level, so be it. But its hard to criticize his work otherwise. Numerous users have pointed this out in the massive number of bias news stories he has posted, and one hardly ever gets a reply. This time, I managed to get one, and it was "We dont want people like you visiting this site!"

My oh my. And then they wonder why the site is in a horrid financial state. (Allegedly, I dont actually know if they are, but it seems to be the case with the whole not paying contributers thing.)

Darkmantle:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

The one discussion has nothing to do with the other. And as for the relevant part; see above.

Oh but they DO have something to do with each other. It shows your post characteristics, and is all very telling, and ties in with his assessment of your character, resulting in the aforementioned "stop posting" comment.

Also, telling a person "I don;t know why you work here" is a personal attack, you are not critiquing his work, you are just saying he sucks, albeit thinly veiled. You then go on to say he has bias, which is silly really, bias in an opinion section. And if all news was written with "just the facts", all you would need is the headline and 1-2 more sentences. Bor-ring. no one would read it. Furthermore, you may disagree with his opinion or assessment of the situation, but criticizing him as a writer overall is pretty baseless. At least it looks that way because you have zero supporting arguments. Hell even your disagreement with his opinion is completely without any back up evidence. Others in this thread have pointed out her work with DA2 anders etc etc, but you have literally nothing supporting you, and are provably factually wrong. But when shown evidence your response is "I don't really care". You are contributing nothing to this discussion except flames. Baseless opinions, refusal to change your mind, ad hominim attacks. All these combined make Andy's comment extremely justified.

Bias is so often misused on the internet. Bias Means the initial judgement was corrupted or altered in some way other than the facts. It does NOT mean you picked a side. Picking a side is fine. If a study shows that say.... there is no reason to not have gay marriage, provably, (just an example) and after reading I say I support gay marriage, that doesn't make me biased towards gay marriage, it just makes me a sensible person. You need a WAY stronger case to claim bias, especially on a story like this, where the facts are laid out, and he gives his opinion.

(Allow me to apologize in advance if you are offended)

Man, I've been reading this thread for 2 days and gotten out of hand is a big understatement...

Regarding Ms.Helper herself, I can't really speak to the quality of writing as I do not read her books and am not a player of the dragon age series (tried to start DA2 and couldn't get to deep into it, plus got stuck on the deep road boss fight...plus meeting anders was the first time I said a character could F*#k right off), but her comments on how she would like the ability to skip gameplay seem to make it out that she would rather work on or at least prefers less interactive forms of media. Which is fair, after all she is a writer and having to work your story with gameplay sections may be more difficult than I previously thought it was. But if so, she may need to consider her work and/or try not to involve herself to deep in the gameplay design process discussion.

To be honest, she may even have a point somewhat. Sometimes, maybe your playing a second or third playthrough and while the section of the story is awesome, the gameplay is crap. I think bioware is trying to work this out in ME3 with the multiple playstyles things, and IMHO I think that might be the best way to do it as you don't totally remove gameplay, just make it easier and less complex, then later when you want it back to normal, shift it back.

Now going from what I've heard about the quality of her writing, if it is that bad, then yes someone should bring it up.

HOWEVER, one needs not to be an ass to do it. Constructive criticism is the way to go. Now, If she being an ass first about said constructive criticism, then simply let it go. If said person isn't willing to understand your properly presented points and try to understand or at least acknowledge them in a considerate way, then I'm sure you'll be able to find a better use
of your time. So the idiots sending death threats and misogyny to her twitter are wasting their time with their idiocy.

Now as to her response as well as the other bioware employee, they could have handled that better. Being an ass back to the asses only encourages more assery. Dr.Muzyka had the right idea.

TL:DR - She may have some validity in her game statements, The twitter flamers should stop and try to be more intelligent about it, and she could've handled it better than she did.

Excedrin:
But she should have had the sense not to say something like she wants to skip gameplay in... video games. Sure, hold whatever opinion you like, but anyone with some sense would know that would be a pretty controversial opinion to hold.

You realize that you're effectively saying that this is all her fault because she was too stupid to keep her opinion to herself, right?

Andy Chalk:

Excedrin:
But she should have had the sense not to say something like she wants to skip gameplay in... video games. Sure, hold whatever opinion you like, but anyone with some sense would know that would be a pretty controversial opinion to hold.

You realize that you're effectively saying that this is all her fault because she was too stupid to keep her opinion to herself, right?

No, I'm not in the least saying that. You quoted a small portion of my post and then asserted that I was saying it. No one deserves to be attacked like this and the culpability primarily rests on the people who are actually doing the attacking. However, yes, not keeping that opinion to herself was a stupid move and it's not crazy to expect the internet to react in such a way. I'm not saying that serves as any sort of justification, so please don't misconstrue my post in a way that suggests that. Thank you.

Andy Chalk:

beniki:

I don't recall ever insulting the lady with crude photoshopped images or derogatory tweets.

I do, however, recall shelling out 50 Euros of my hard-earned cash for a game named "Dragon Age 2", suffering from serious bugs and subpar writing, the latter of which would be something I can atleast partially blame on Ms Hepler.

Now, is that a justification for sending this disgusting torrent of hate towards her? Obviously not.
However, it is no secret that in recent years, Bioware has fallen from grace in the eyes of the gaming community, not just the vitriolically screeching ones, so yes, there is room for a debate, and Ms Hepler's statement's about basically wanting to skip the gameplay in a GAME might be a good starting point.

Andy Chalk:

maddawg IAJI:
You're representing a business and if you're gonna throw a hissy fit like that as soon as someone insults you, you should be fired ASAP, especially if you're gonna start PR nightmares like Flynn did.

I disagree and fortunately, so does BioWare. Some people - like the people who started all this - deserve nothing more than a casual "fuck you" and perhaps a ban from whatever forum they've infested. "The customer is always right" is a lie; sometimes the customer is a piece of shit and needs to be told about it.

I wonder what the ratio of people who have worked in any job that involved being screamed at and abused by idiot members of the public to people who have screamed at and abused waiters/cashiers/etc. is on this site. There's a certain line you don't cross. When I'm in work and a customer starts screaming at me and insulting me I do not feel bad about telling them to get fucked. Criticism is something you have to deal with politely, abuse is not.

I thinks this warrants a slow handclap of utter dismay. For every success that the Internet's communal nature causes, there's always one stinking fiasco involving the worst representatives of the gaming community investing their energies into something that's utterly trivial.

So what if she doesn't like games? Her job isn't to *play*, her job is to *write*. The game designers have to work *around* her storyline and design gameplay that's interesting enough for those folks who don't give two shits about story, but also have to create a system that lets her work shine through. How hard is that to understand, for some people?

Take the janitors at any given game studio, for instance. Do you think some guy applied for a cruddy janitorial position at Ubisoft/Squeenix Montreal or whatever because he likes games? Not necessarily. Janitors clean stuff. Loving games if they work in a game studio is not a prerequisite.

Some people really need to get off their high horses and realize that not *everything* and *everyone* revolves around the gaming scene. Not everything is designed so us gamers get our game on.

I certainly don't agree with Mrs. Hepler, but it's still her opinion. She has a right to it.

lacktheknack:

Woodsey:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I know they are, but he needs to show professionalism.

I fail to see how backing your own member of staff, who has been subjected to an inordinate amount of online abuse, is unprofessional.

That is practically the definition of professionalism.

He's talking about "Whatever, fucking moron."

Which was quite unprofessional, but they've made up for it with this update.

Yeah, I was talking about Ray Muz- Ray Muz-... Ray.

Still, personal attacks from individual people on personal accounts? What he said's fine by me.

Darkmantle:
snip

You are right on the bias thing. I used the term in the wrong fashion. Anyway, on to the other stuff....

Oh but they DO have something to do with each other. It shows your post characteristics, and is all very telling, and ties in with his assessment of your character, resulting in the aforementioned "stop posting" comment.

Oh yes, thats all very true. I am a bit of an asshole, arent I? A very angry, passive aggressive, and unreasonable individual. But thats neither here nor there. My criticism was very valid, and instead of addressing it, he attacked me. If my post told you something about my character, what does that tell you about Andy's work? "Um yeah hey man your work kinda sucks because..." "YEAH WELL YOU SUCK GTFO" - also very telling.

And if all news was written with "just the facts", all you would need is the headline and 1-2 more sentences. Bor-ring. no one would read it.

Off the top of my head - IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku. All report in a matter of fact fashion, millions of people read their news stories. I wonder why Andys dont get so many hits?

Others in this thread have pointed out her work with DA2 anders etc etc, but you have literally nothing supporting you, and are provably factually wrong. But when shown evidence your response is "I don't really care"

Just to clear this up - my gripe is with Andys writing, not Bioware or DAII. They are pretty irrelevant to the matter at hand.

You are contributing nothing to this discussion except flames. Baseless opinions, refusal to change your mind, ad hominim attacks. All these combined make Andy's comment extremely justified.

I would love to change my mind about this whole thing, but I have no reason to. Lets take a look at the response I have gotten from my first post, shall we?

You talking about Dragon Age for some reason, some guy explaining that criticizing someones work defaults to personal attacks (who would have thought) and Andy telling me to fuck off. So remind me. Why should I change my mind about this? Yes, I think these articles are terrible, and I have explained why multiple times now. Please, I beg you, if you think I am wrong, tell me, but tell me why! I have contributed my thoughts, it is you and Andy who refuse to write a proper reply.

I don't like Jennifer Hepler very much and I do think that the fact that she wants to basically skip the gameplay does not do good to the games she works on, but it's still no reason to get out pitchforks and torches. If we just resort to brute force and idiotic verbal abuse- tactics we will get nowhere.
But then again, this attitude is created by the internet itself, as anonymity brings the shadow out of people.
Like many people have said here, there is no excuse for the behaviour people have shown.

But I do have to admit that I see the point that someone (I think it was Root of all evil?) presented, which is that all this happening now is quite a coincidence.

But I also do have to say that (and I'm not starting a flamewar here, try to understand) Escapist's news stories sometimes are more like opinions in writing rather than actual news articles. If this is written as a news piece, please keep your own opinion out of it. Sure this article tells us what happened, but involving a personal opinion into it is not a part of a news article.

Just my 2 cents.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or