Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

The pack is called From Ashes, and this bold bit right here is your call to stop reading if you're avoiding spoilers.

I'm sensitive about spoilers; I don't like them. This one isn't exactly massive in that it doesn't relate to any character we've met so far, strictly speaking, but it could still stand as a bit of a wrecking ball for some. It doesn't for me and it might not for you, but I'm all for quarantine zones if you're running one. Have we all made our decision regarding whether or not to read on yet? I hope so. This your last chance to evacuate.

Alright then! Now that we're alone, spoiler friends, here's the deal: on February 20th, a good few weeks prior to Mass Effect 3's March 6th launch date, a day-one DLC pack for the game called From Ashes popped up on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The pack contains a new character - a Prothean, no less - who you can recruit for your battle against the Reapers. How it wound up on Xbox Live early is unknown, though it's probably fair to say that it involved someone somewhere pressing a button at the wrong time.

BioWare's Michael Gamble took to the company's forums to acknowledge the blip. "Hi all! We're happy to confirm that Mass Effect 3: From Ashes DLC will be available at launch for all platforms," he wrote. "For those of you who have purchased the N7 Collector's Edition (including the PC Digital Deluxe Edition), you will get this content at no extra charge. We'll have a lot more details for you later this week! Stay tuned!"

One suspects that this Prothean might be legitimately more angry at the Reapers than your average bear; this, in addition to what business a creature whose species has been effectively extinct for 50,000 years has doing on the Normandy, gives plenty of scope for an interesting quest and character. The fact that this pack is a day-one DLC which asks players already shelling out $60 for the apparent full game to pay a little more for the undoubtly very interesting Prothean character isn't quite as sweet, however. (You'll also need an online pass to access the multiplayer; you can watch BioWare Marketing Director David Silverman covering one up with his thumb here. Yup.)

So that about covers it, spoiler friends. My pre-ordered copy of Mass Effect 3: The Regular $60 Edition and I will keep an eye out for Gamble's promised "details" on From Ashes over the coming weeks if you're in the mood for more. In the meantime, I'm sure there are a few of you game for a chat about online passes, day-one DLC, and what this means for the market; come say hi.

Update: With thanks to reader Soviet Heavy, here's a link to a YouTube video which claims to feature our new Prothean friend shouting about power conduits and "cycles," built up of files ripped from the demo. Dude's got a snappy suit too.

Mass Effect 3 will hit shelves on the 6th of March 2012 in North America, and on the 9th of March in Europe.

Source: Kotaku

Well, that's not of a spoiler. I thought it was one of those DLCs that would take place after you beat the game or something. I mean, yeah, it's surprising but...I don't know. Weh.

Anyway, what good is the DLC right now if you need the actual game to play it? Unless it's a stand-alone DLC?
Either way, I wouldn't have bought it right now. But uhh...it's interesting to see that thing pop up weeks before the release, nonetheless.

And screw day-one DLCs.

Unless this Prothean can give a reason to replace Garrus, he need not apply to the Normandy.

so this is the free character i get with the deluxe version um how is he still alive

He's also a Jamaican for some reason.

Jah man, we be trippin' on dem reapas man!

I'd be more surprised if the DLC was available for download BEFORE Mass Effect 3 came out lol

I got the Digital Deluxe Ed. so it doesn't affect me. One Concern - my ME2 is under a different Origin Account then my ME3 (2 emails don't ask), I hope that doesn't bork my save transfer. I just went back and finished off ME2 and all the DLC in preparation.

Kalezian:
Unless this Prothean can give a reason to replace Garrus, he need not apply to the Normandy.

Agreed. I bought Kasumi and got Zaeed, but aside from their personal quests, I did jack all with them. It sounds cool, and I'm interested, but interested in a "I'll go dig up a youtube video featuring him" than "I'm going to shell out an extra $10 at launch for it". I'll have Kaidan, my ME romance, and Garrus, my ME 2 romance, and we're going to have awkward conversations and moments galore.

Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA

I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)

Soviet Heavy:

Jah man, we be trippin' on dem reapas man!

Jesus H that's amazing. He sounds insane! Sharp suit too.

It means I don't buy your game until there's a discount bundle with all the DLC a year from now. Fuck your day one DLC and online passes EA.

This is really insulting and i hope Bioware and EA get burned for this idiotic decision. Making such a vital and important plot figure a DLC? insulting and disgusting. at least Shale and Zaeed were free, but this? not even a legitimate new purchase user gets this? fuck it.

Ten bucks? Bone that.

From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.

This action of putting a lore important character as a optional dlc is disgraceful and all those who support those actions should be burnt on the stake.

JasonBurnout16:

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)

The race the Reapers wiped out 50,000 years ago.

You go to one of their worlds at the end of ME1 (Ilos), meed a Prothean VI, and learn about their last moments from him.

In ME2 you learn that the collectors are heavily modified Protheans.

They're... pretty integral. Kind of surprised you don't know about them.

OT: Basically, what he said:

CounterAttack:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.

*eyeroll* EA/Bioware does it again. Christ do I hate Day 1 DLC. It's so tasteless. >_<

This and the people who buy it are what's wrong with gaming these days. Or at least, it's what fuels big publishers like EA and Activision to be complete dicks and ruin franchises.

CounterAttack:

It is possible.
a giant water wheel in an underground river,a solar power plant that's still active,etc,etc could probably power a single cryo pod.

There are no words. No. Words.

Alpha Centauri:
Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA

That was a good watch. Very well said. My rage is kind of burned out at this point, but I'm in agreement. This is getting ludicrous.

rolfwesselius:
It is possible.
a giant water wheel in an underground river,a solar power plant that's still active,etc,etc could probably power a single cryo pod.

But why would such a cryo-pod exist? I highly doubt there would be time to prepare such a device during the Reaper invasion.

My statement about there needing to be a very good reason for this DLC remains, and I will not be convinced until I see it first-hand. Which will likely be in a year or so, once I can actually scrape together enough money for both a new computer, ME3 (which will only be available in standard edition by the time I can buy it) and the additional price for the DLC.

CounterAttack:

Yeah, I'm intrigued about having a Prothean in my squad but also uncomfortable. As you said there's no real way (that I can see) they can introduce the character that doesn't contradict their previous lore. In Mass Effect 1, Vigil turned off their life support on Ilos and in Mass Effect 2 one of the biggest reveals was that the remaining Prothean's were actually implanted with tech to make them a labor force for the Reapers (aka the Collectors).

It's going to take a lot of convincing and very skilled writing to integrate this character into the plot-line in a acceptable way. None the less I've already pre-ordered the Collectors Edition before this was announced so it's going to be an interesting experience.

Way to go Bioware. Such champs.

Question: How much does the "From Ashes" DLC cost?

CounterAttack:

rolfwesselius:
It is possible.

But why would such a cryo-pod exist? I highly doubt there would be time to prepare such a device during the Reaper invasion.

How long would it take to jury rig a cryo pod into the power network of a solar power plant?
i think an hour at most and what if the reapers are busy destroying an outer planet in the system?

Soviet Heavy:

He's on our side because he's trying to go clean and heard Shepard was the galaxy's best chance to beat the reefers.

Dorkmaster Flek:
It means I don't buy your game until there's a discount bundle with all the DLC a year from now. Fuck your day one DLC and online passes EA.

And the horse they rode in on. I wont even buy that shit with a stolen credit card.

I guess it was only a matter of time before they started selling DLC before the actual launch.
The good news is that with pre-launch, day 1 dlc, and dlc that (let's face it) was probably done when the game was finished we no longer have much of a wait for those goty/complete editions. The one for LA Noir came out a few months later.
And they wonder why we don't buy their new releases. Fuck them in the goat-ass.

Right. Fuck you EA I'm out.

I was on board when it came to Origin and I'm fine with the IOS games but this is to freaking far. Do not remove content from the game to you can sell it on day one. I dont care if it wont change a thing, there is no way in hell I'm buying Mass Effect 3 now, such a waste of such a brilliant series.

10$ day one DLC? Fuck you BioWare. It'd be one thing if it wasn't a whole character who seems to be integral to the plot (The Exiled Prince DLC for Dragon Age 2 was absurd too, but at least Sebastian wasn't important to the plot) but this seems like this would be a huge important plot point, with there being a Prothean and all.

Yeah, that's nice and all but I'm still getting it.

Alpha Centauri:

Listening while reading the article LOL. Nice to me another member of the Cynical Fleet!

Irridium:

JasonBurnout16:

You go to one of their worlds at the end of ME1 (Ilos), meed a Prothean VI, and learn about their last moments from him.

It was a long time ago that I played Mass Effect and I have played a lot of games since then.

I remember the main aliens - turians, krogans, Quarians, the blue women, thane (Cause he was a green fish) and the geth. But there is little chance of me remembering something as small as one level.

JasonBurnout16:

Irridium:

JasonBurnout16:

It was a long time ago that I played Mass Effect and I have played a lot of games since then.

I remember the main aliens - turians, krogans, Quarians, the blue women, thane (Cause he was a green fish) and the geth. But there is little chance of me remembering something as small as one level.

The blue women are called Asari. And Thane, a drell, is more reptilian than fish. Moist atmospheres are deadly to them.

And it wasn't just a small thing on one level. It was a pretty big revelation that was heavily discussed for the majority of the latter half of the game.

But this is all rather new for me, so the memory might be fresher.

Also, don't take any of that personally. People fudging details, purposely or not, is a pet peeve of mine.

okay i feel cheated but not getting a Prothean on my squad without paying for it but i feel like paying for it now out of curiosity...

also, i did not believe i would see a prothean at all before a quarian face

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or