BioWare Splits Difference with Reversible FemShep Mass Effect 3 Cover

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Splits Difference with Reversible FemShep Mass Effect 3 Cover

After the brouhaha over the female Commander Shepard, BioWare ships ME3 with a reversible cover page.

Like many games, Mass Effect allowed the player to select the sex of the protagonist. While the number of players that played with a female Shepard may have been less than the male counterpart, those who did took umbrage at the fact that the Shepard of canon lore was assumed to be male. BioWare allowed the audience to select what the default FemShep would look like, but still more fans were upset that the Shepard on the cover of the Mass Effect would have a different sex of their beloved heroine. BioWare revealed today that all copies of Mass Effect 3 ship with a reversible sleeve so that, if you so chose, you could proudly display your preferred sex on the cover of your game.

Continuing with the current trend in console games, you also will get several slips of paper with codes printed on them to enter when you get the game. BioWare Edmonton Marketing Director David Silverman cheerfully explains there's an online pass needed for multiplayer, a Kingdoms of Amalur tie-in outfit and two free days of Xbox Gold. You know, at first I didn't have a problem with all of this day-one stuff, but having consumers enter three codes when they just want to start playing is pretty lame.

Still, the executives at BioWare get my respect for putting their money where their mouth is. Printing double-sided covers with both male and female Shepards on every standard copy of ME3 is not a small expense. That they did so just to appease a tiny but vocal group of fans was a great PR move.

Now, if only people stopped crucifying poor Jennifer Hepler.

Cool - I hope they don't make all copies with maleShep as default though, would be nice to see femShep on the shelves (imagine it would attract some buyers as well [in the "female protagonist on the front cover", not the "eye candy cover" way)

Well..... this is kinda cool.

Good job, Bioware. Femshep 4 l1f3!!!

Still kind of disappointed that the place I buy my games from weren't stocking the CE of this game.

I refuse to buy from GAME though, it's a matter of principle.

Huh. That's cool I guess.

Too bad I hate the "official female Shepard". She's too young.

My box has [fem]shep on the cover. I will bend time and space to accomplish this.

I don't like the femshep that they ended up choosing for default but that is a damn good idea. good job EA (for once)

Some people are easily pleased.

Kinda makes you think why it should even matter. In the world of Freud, we can now say that digital female avatars have their very own penises.

Jaeke:
I don't like the femshep that they ended up choosing for default but that is a damn good idea. good job EA (for once)

I liked the femshep that won the vote... didn't really like how it was adapted in the actualy game >.>

Wow, that's something you don't see often...
When was the last time I saw something like this... Was it with Halo Wars (SE), or Dawn of War: Dark Crusade?

Does this online pass code mean only one person out of my brother and I will be able to play multiplayer, since we share the same 360 and all its games?

AnarchistFish:
Does this online pass code mean only one person out of my brother and I will be able to play multiplayer, since we share the same 360 and all its games?

Like with most things that come with codes, im guessing it'll be tied to one account.
So if you and your brother share the same XBL account then you wont have a problem, if not i think one of you will have to buy a new code to play the multiplayer.

OT: Yay Femshep.. its always jarring for me when i see ads or even look at the cover of my ME games and see a character that isnt in my game (obviously its not a dealbreaker or anything) so this is nice

Im guessing the fact that they havent got a physical manual makes up for the cost of the double sided cover.

Time to wait some time and sneak around my local game store switching pictures around.

To be honest, the FemShep model when it is created In Game is ugly. On the cover, it doesn't look too bad, but stil..

It can never replace my personal FemShep, however. And no, I don't have screenshots at this time.

Some people, just so petty eh?

While I'm MaleShep all the way I think it's great that they've included an equal option for thos who choose FemShep. Well played Bioware.

The cover isn't really important, but as a FemShep fan I'm pleased the option's there.

Where's my black male shep? Seriously, playing through Mass Effect as Mace Windu is pretty awesome.

Call that the Asari cover, cause it goes both ways.
But I still think that eye liner makes her look like a butch Keira Knightley

They'd better check those pack-in codes with a fine-tooth comb. Imagine if *those* get screwed up, as they have with some other games...

Any one notice that after coving the pass code he ends of just leaving it on the table in plain view? He should have just markered over it.

Slight correction, the Kingdoms of Amalur Stuff isnt a code. you get it when you play the demo, which has been released for some time.

Printing a sheet of paper is not that expensive when mass produced. They will make up for that cost quite easily and quite fast.
Honestly im just bummed about the extra trees that had to be chomped for this :X

You know if I was getting the standard I might actually care...ok ok that's pretty neat. On an off topic, does this guy really expect people to type in the 2 free days of live and the tie in outfit right away?...in fact does he expect people to type them in ever?

This is a really neat idea. GOLD STAR BIOWARE.
Its always nice when they give you the option, its almost like they know we can think for ourselves

That's actually pretty cool. The cost overall couldn't be that much more, and it's worth it to show that they actually listen to this stuff.

Way to go, FemShep.

I had no idea this was even an issue, but still, I like this, I know I'll be flipping my cover. I mean, this was never gonna be a game breaker for me, but it's nice to have options.

Why didn't they just use that thing where if you look at it from a different angle, the picture changes? RE5 did that.

I got the collectors so I dont know if it will be the same

but FUCK YES!!! soo happy!! YAY!!

That is definitely awesome. While I started with a male Shepard (and though I do prefer female protagonists, I still believe that Shepard is best male) and thus I didn't mind the whole Femshep deal, I do enjoy the fact that BioWare is listening to its fans (however a small vocal minority they are in the great consumer ocean) and are putting in something that makes that whole Facebook vote from forever ago actually worth it.

However, I still believe Hepler is still a bitch who should've learned to keep some opinions to herself. However, in her defense, I do agree the Internet is being a massive twat and needs to shut the hell up.

I like the trend of reversible covers. I know God of War had a tradition of reversing the cover to show an epic panorama of Kratos doing/killing something.

Well... damn. Now I don't really have a justification for buying the Collector's edition.

Huh.

Reversing the box cover will give me something to do with my trembling, sweaty hands whilst I wait for the game to install!

Of course, they could have gone one better and shipped half the boxes with the cover the other way round showing a female Shepard, but even so I applaud this belated inclusivity.

Azmael Silverlance:
Printing a sheet of paper is not that expensive when mass produced. They will make up for that cost quite easily and quite fast.
Honestly im just bummed about the extra trees that had to be chomped for this :X

It's just printed on the other side of the same sheet...

I guess that's cool. I just don't know why they chose to go with the generic looking cover with a [space]marine holding a gun. It's just so retarded and tasteless. It looks exactly like CoD and Battlefield. Mass Effect 1 still has the best cover and even that one was not that great.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)